It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani troops attack US choppers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Pakistani troops attack US choppers

www.radioaustralia.net.au

Pakistani officials say their troops opened fire twice to repel two US helicopter gunships which violated their airspace in a tribal region bordering Afghanistan.

The incidents happened on Sunday evening in the North Waziristan district, where Pakistani forces are battling Taliban and Al-Qaeda militants.

There was no immediate comment from the Pakistani military or the US-led coalition in Kabul.

The incident comes amid growing anger in Pakistan at raids from Afghanistan by US-led coalition troops targeting Islamic extremist hideouts.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I just read an article in my paper about this. I did a Google search and this was the only article I could find. I tried scanning the newspaper article but my printer isn't cooperating...

www.radioaustralia.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I heard this the other day and wondered why nobody had brought it up yet, seems like rather big news to me

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is pretty old news!

But why did the US choppers run for cover? They should have blasted the heck out of those fellas with a couple of Hellfire missiles!

Hope they do it the next time they run into those pea shooters!
You wouldn't like those Pakistani soldiers to thumb their noses at the mighty US Forces again, would you?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
added the bold word for nuance..

The incident comes amid growing anger in Pakistan at raids from Afghanistan by US-led coalition troops targeting suspected Islamic extremist hideouts.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Old news? This happened on Sunday evening
I think you're talking about the incident a week ago when Pakistani troops fired upon American choppers.

A week ago, U.S. helicopters reportedly landed near Angoor Ada, a border village in South Waziristan, but returned toward Afghanistan after troops fired warning shots.

I'm just surprised there hasn't been any threads made about this yet.

I also hope your post was tongue in cheek, although I doubt it was. You only wanted the Americans to fire back because its only Pakistanis, Indias mortal enemy...

If the Americans had made an excursion into Indian territory to pursue militants, you'd be singing a very different tune.

I went to my local newspapers website and got an article with more info. Still a different article than I read in the newspaper.

The two intelligence officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media. They said informants in the field told them of the incursion about one mile inside the disputed and poorly demarcated border in the Alwara Mandi area.

The helicopters did not return fire and re-entered Afghan airspace without landing, the officials said.

www.princegeorgecitizen.com...

[edit on 23-9-2008 by ben420]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh
This is pretty old news!

But why did the US choppers run for cover? They should have blasted the heck out of those fellas with a couple of Hellfire missiles!

You wouldn't like those Pakistani soldiers to thumb their noses at the mighty US Forces again, would you?

Well they ran for cover cos the Pak troops got this
!

They probably coulda fired hellfires but they wouldn't have been able to return back in one piece.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
With what?!?!?!??! ROCKS?!?!!

I would think that anybody in the world would have to know that the US military is a pretty scary machine. Overall BAD IDEA. Especially since we consider them allies(....Musharraf and Bush are out so we need to do some talking to work out the situation).

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Maybe merely a TEST by the US?

To see if the first instance was just a fluke, with soldiers not being not being under orders to fire on the US.

I think if they knew they were going to be fired upon and had planned on return fire, they would have had a few more fly-guys standing close by.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

This is pretty old news!

How about we actually recognize their borders which we would expect them to do if the situation were reversed.

Yes let's get into a war with a nation that has nuclear weapons and see if we can start WWIII. Mindless actions are way too cheap these days, thank goodness the officer in charge had the presence of mind to withdraw to the correct boundary.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
from wikipedia

2008 - China warns US of war against Pakistan, during which former President Pervez Musharaf visits China, Musharaf raised issues of US attacks inside Pakistan. At the end of the tour China warned against any attack on Pakistan: We the Peoples Republic of China understand Pakistan's concerns over sovreignity and existence and we will do anything to make sure our brother, best friend and ally is safe. —Chinese Foreign Minister

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by haidian
from wikipedia

2008 - China warns US of war against Pakistan, during which former President Pervez Musharaf visits China, Musharaf raised issues of US attacks inside Pakistan. At the end of the tour China warned against any attack on Pakistan: —Chinese Foreign Minister

A lot of hot air from the Chinese, as usual, what? So what happened after that 'warning'? There were four more intrusions into Pakistani territory by the US Forces, but not a whimper from the Chinese! Oh yeah, we're getting pretty tired of these so called 'warnings'. They're not worth the paper they're written on!

And what do you think the Chinese would have done? Launch a couple of their nuke tipped missiles against Washington?
Instead of issuing worthless threats, they should instead concentrate on removing the lead content in children's toys and stop mixing melamine in their milk!

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
four more intrusions?you sound that those intrusions are perfectly ok,you should learn to respect other countries sovereinty and stop being a bully.of cause those minor skirmish wont cause too much trouble,the warning is definitely for an full invasion,just like what happened in the history,china fought directly and indirectly agaisnt us in korea and vietnam,because those countries are china's neighbors and invasion really posed a thread to china,so if americans launch a full scale war agaisnt pakistan,that will be another story,why us wont attack north korea now?a big reason is china wont allow that to happen.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by haidian]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
How about we actually recognize their borders which we would expect them to do if the situation were reversed.

Recognize borders? What borders? When Pakistan's notorious int agency, the infamous ISI which is helping the Taliban tooth and nail to launch attacks against American and NATO forces using the border areas as a firm base, what do you do? Pakistan is running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. On the one hand they're trying to tell the world, "Hey! we're doing a heck of a job", and on the other they're helping the Taliban with arms, ammo, logistics, military operations and training.

They’ve been doing this in Kashmir for more than two decades. So what’s new? A leopard can’t change its spots. And that applies to Pakistan’s doctrine. There are two power centers – The Army and the ISI. The so called civilian democratic governments through its history have been nothing but puppets on a string, controlled by these two organs of state. And nothing’s going to change.

Now, Afghanistan is central to Pakistani military doctrine, the control of which is an imperative to establishing strategic depth against India. It must therefore bring Afghanistan within its military and political sphere of influence. Pakistan cannot do this overtly and therefore the need to train, arm and use the Taliban to achieve their objective.

So if the Taliban continue using the border areas as firm bases from which to launch their operations, then it becomes incumbent to take them out. Therefore I find nothing wrong with NATO/American actions to destroy militant and logistic bases in the border areas from where the Taliban with the help of the ISI, launch their hit-and-run operations.

In fact the CIA has in its intelligence summary in Jun 08 stressed the need to curb the ISI. The new government in Pakistan tried it but had to beat a hasty retreat when they came under enormous pressure from them and the military. Bush had also given his tacit approval for cross border raids as well as pre emptive actions across Pakistan’s borders.

Do you get the drift now?

Mindless actions are way too cheap these days, thank goodness the officer in charge had the presence of mind to withdraw to the correct boundary.

Mindless actions? I don’t know what you mean. An operation isn’t like a walk in the park. It needs thorough planning and rehearsals to launch operations such as these cross- border raids, down to the actions of the last man in the squad. It could take days planning one, if it’s not a ‘pursuit’/’search and destroy’ operation. And then such ops need to be cleared at the highest command level, unless the higher direction of war states that such actions can be taken at the lower command echelons, but certainly not below brigade level.

So do you get the mechanics of what’s involved here? It’s just not, as you mentioned, ‘mindless actions’!

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

By mindless actions I mean people like you that react with violent actions in all situations because of a "god" complex.

You don't know what else goes on beyond what our government tells you do you?

So instead of all this "Rambo rhetoric" we need people who can think about a peaceful resolution when logic dictates.

There is a time for fighting, but that wasn't the time, and my previous post holds true.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

By mindless actions I mean people like you that react with violent actions in all situations because of a "god" complex.

Objection, m' Lord!! I ain't American!
So I don't have that 'God' complex!

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
GOOD

pakistan is standing up for its own country - next will be manpads against `choppers till the USA gets the message it can`t murder who ever it feels like

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Objection, m' Lord!! I ain't American!
So I don't have that 'God' complex!

Cheers!

Thank you for disclosing that! You're a little like the kid that shoots a spitball at the teacher and when the teacher turns around you point at the kid sitting next to you. Myself, I'm tired of hearing about war. Surely we had enough of it throughout our history. Now with global communications and mixing of cultures we should be able to work most anything out without weapons.

Not being pollyanna. it's true. Think about it.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Thats a nice hope and sentiment, but betrays naiveity in the ways of the world.

Peace is damn near impossible with certain groups of people, as history attests.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by stikkinikki
Myself, I'm tired of hearing about war. Surely we had enough of it throughout our history. Now with global communications and mixing of cultures we should be able to work most anything out without weapons.

Sadly stikkinikki, you're living in a world of make-believe. The Utopian world of Eden is millenia away. Try reasoning with the fundamentalists/terrorists, the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the ISI. We're all tired of war, but they'll not stop till they achieve their ultimate aim of establishing a world Muslim caliphate. And to that end they'll do anything including killing thousands of innocents in suicide bombings.

A conservative blog called Hard Astarboard warns against the desire of Islamists for regional domination and has this to say regarding a letter from Ayman al-Zawahiri, considered Osama bin Laden's lieutenant, to al-Qaeda's Iraq commander, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, whose contents were recently released:

"Zawahiri makes it quite clear that al Qaeda's ambitions extend well beyond the borders of any one country. The goal is a fundamentalist Islamic regime that begins in Iraq, extends into the neighboring secular nations of the region, assaults Israel and moves on from there. And yes, he uses the word 'caliphate.' "

And by the way, the one who's been in war only understands the value of peace.

hardastarboard.mu.nu...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join