It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Leaders Stunned by Warnings

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
These people in Congress should be required to know History. The 'Great Plan' they're putting together has been done before so many times. Weimar Republic, Germany is a good example. Yugoslavia early 90's comes to mind. Hyperinflation is nasty!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by EtSolveMundi
Congress is acting surprised and broadcasting this powerless, helpless image of itself. A few days ago Sen. Reid (Sen. Maj. Leader) said something to the effect of "Congress has no idea what to do" and implied that they'd just let the Treasury and Fed Res handle it if Bernanke and Paulson asked them to. This strikes me as incredibly, truly strange. High profile congressmen saying they are impotent? Admitting that they can't help? That is just not something major politicians and officials do. Part of their unspoken code of conduct is to maintain a calm and in-control facade, to broadcast stability, knowledge and power (i.e. leadership ability). Even though they are rarely sincere when they claim to be totally on top of a situation, they still do it and it's expected of them. This is the behavior of politicians and officials for thousands of years. What could they possibly be thinking? I cannot figure this out.

"Congress has no idea what to do..." That is the whole problem in one sentence. If these puppets only took a few minutes to look over the document they swore to uphold, they may have been able to find the answer:

Article I Section 8 of the US Consititution says-

"The Congress shall have power to...

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures"

The answer and the solution is simple: Take back your damn constitutional authority and rip control from the FED! I am so sick of these puppets and the sheeple who fall in lock step with them...the answer is crystal clear!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BennyHill

Very well said.

I always thought that the people in congress were power hungry, how come the only thing they aren't power hungry for is their right to coin and value money?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthWithin

Another theory to this subject? Who knows?

Is there really a problem with our financial giants. Is congress really being told the truth or just being hearded around the planned well thought out corner to the ultimate goal, whatever that is.?

Something to think about?

If you were part of an organization that wants to have control over a large group of people, the world for instance, and you needed more funding for your plans and many of your partners owned or controlled the most powerful financial organizations in the world. Wouldn't it be a great idea if you could get a bunch of those partners to claim they were going bankrupt over a few weeks time,cuasing financial panic worlwide. Then come in like the calvary and offer them trillions of taxpayers hard earned blood money to pay for what you realy need the funding for, instead of bailing out the very secure not realy so introuble financial institutions. Also, the whole public would (did) come forward and celebrate what a great idea you had and what a hero you are to bail out these wonderful institutions and save the world from financial meltdown.

Wow, what a great way to make some extras bucks and fool the masses into believing you are the guy, oh sorry. or gal.

Oh wait, wouldn't this be just what so many have discussed here on this site? "Deny Ignornace"?

Wasn't that some nazi's idea? Make the masses think there is a problem and they will beg you to give up their freedoms, power or money in this case, just to come in and save them. Or something like that?

Hey maybe I should have been part of the controlling elite?
Na. Too boring.
Ah well I do not like money anyhow.

Coolness to all and peace too.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by hopeandpeace]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I am trying to wrap my brain around this situation. It comes down to this, SOMEONE is making a run on these institutions. It is a coordinated effort. A conspiracy.

So, who stands to gain? I'm not quite sure, although I have a pretty good idea.

Okay, what is the stock value currently of Bear Stearns? How much money are we collectively pumping into that corrupt system to keep it afloat? If our money actually succeeds and pulls this company out of the gutter will you or I see any dividends? I would guess not. Quite frankly, I am taking it in the two-hole.
So, who WILL see the dividends? The fed.

Alright, you enact a class-action lawsuit demanding a run on the fed. The suit will demand payment of internal debt immediately, since they are now in the business of finding money where nobody thought money can be found. Lets see where that gets us.

Of course this is a pipe-dream, but this is what NEEDS to be done. We NEED accountability. We NEED the fed to be gone. Even if that means we enforce the bank to devalue the dollar even more.. Enough so that it puts this shady practice to bed once and for all.

Like Dr. Paul has said, the market must fix itself. This is an instantaneous fix, but in the long run, we won't make the mistake again and we'll be better off for it.

P.S. Updating (although it has probably already been covered, but I'm just hearing it)... We now have a ban on all short-selling practices, according to Dumbarse himself. Yeah, that's the way to fix it, lock everyone who wants to invest into longterm commitment. Hopefully everyone has caught Cramer's warning to stop trading!!!
BTW, That also has me thinking. What if everyone just quit? I mean, just quit. Just a question.

This IS financial terrorism. And this MAY BE the catalyst for Bush's continuity of government plan that has been placed into law steadily over the term of his presidency. This is just the beginning, imo.
[Edit on 19-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This has been coming like a triple engine locomotive with 40 cars. We see the headlight coming but it's just picking up speed. 100, 50, 25 meters away and we say ha, it's just a slow poke.

Then when it hits with its kinetic force you find yourself like Charlie Brown on the pitchers mound with his shoes blown off, hat askew and a little drizzle around where your brain used to be.

I think a congressional hearing should take place and a very thorough house cleaning of these megalomaniacs.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Here's the dirty little secret... They're paralyzed with fear. They don't know what to do, because NO ONE understands it. *We* (read everyone) are deer in headlights.

Plain and simple.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Well said,

What also really ticks me off that banks and lenders made horrible loans to people without ability to pay. They created lending guidelines so crazy , No paperwork, no income verification ect that you could basically get a loan approved with no ability to pay it off. The Appraisers would come in with the $$ numbers needed to make the loans work, everyone turned a blind eye and did the wink wink, just go along with it.

All that happens and we have to now bail out these institutions for their own lack of financial discipline?? I just don't get why the Government, basically the public, should have to bail out banks by letting them dump all their shoddy loans that they made themselves. It' sort of like rewarding your kid for stealing your car and then crashing it by giving him his own brand new car, telling him, now don't do that again.

Where is the punishment for the executives of these lending institutions that got us in this mess in the first place? They need to pay, or else the cycle will repeat.

Before, either side starts blaming the other for this mess, it's been Decades in the making, with both sides greasing the tracks. Both sides are to blame. This is not a time for partisanship, we stopped at the edge of a deep hole, no need to have either side push the other one over the edge as we are all tied up in this together.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
theautomaticearth.blogspot.com...

...The US government wants to get rid of people who call their banker friends on their greed and stupidity. Check, there go the short sellers. And they want to get rid of their banker friends’ gigantobehemoth debts. Check, the taxpayers now own them. Or will Congress vote no? Don’t hold your breath.

These guys are not trying to solve a crisis, they’re trying to keep their made men’s profits and shovel the losses into the public coffers. And you’re letting them do it. While everyone watches Sarah Palin’s blaring incompetence, the things that matter today, small things such as your children’s future, get ignored entirely. How long did you say you've been drinking?

What is short selling anyway ? Look, in our culture, vultures have a bad name, and maggots even more. But any biologist can tell you they have an essential function in nature. Without them you’d end up with a disease ridden world like you wouldn’t believe. Short sellers have that function: they clean up what dies.

Vultures spot dying animals, and circle above. Simple. Take them away, and you’re spreading disease. What the SEC did today obliterates the rules of nature as much as the rules of the market. Vultures don’t take on healthy animals any more than shorters take on healthy companies. They make sure companies can’t indefinitely fool you into thinking their alive and kicking. It’s not as if the media will let you know....

We are in free fall. These measures will last a week or two but the reality is - WE DON"T HAVE ANY MONEY! We are entering a time of financial anarchy. All of the rules have been tossed out. Up is down...black is white...dogs and cats sleeping together.

There is zero confidence and I don't see where the initiatives announced today will do anything long term to restore it. The fiscal year ends September 30. Where will we get the money for next year's budget? Bonds? I don't think so. You need confidence for that too don't you? Did anyone see the pathetic yield on the three month? Nothing but zeroes and decimal points.

No, I think all of the huffing and puffing and grand-standing today was more about the PTB being able to say "We did our best...but nothing could stop it".

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

And don't forget the greedy realtors and appraisers who over-valued these properties. Yes - the loans were risky - but the buyers were being taken for a ride even before they got to the closing.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Government regulation on banks requiring them to make risky loans made it easier for SOMEONE to step in and make an orchestrated run on the troubled institutions. They ALREADY weren't getting a return on money loaned out which required less capital to swamp their books. Plain and simple.

P.S. It must have been someone with access to the books in the first place. (Fed?) The money must have been laundered through other mediums to appear unimplicated.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I must agree with you in totality loam. Someone, entity, corp, headmaster has got to be to blame somewhere. And I want to see them hung high.

Thanks w. You get another ding for another fine wreck. Texas rangers etc etc etc.

Enjoy your stay at your bolivian ranch while we live in tents. Do us all a big favor and take mom and pops with you and just stay away. Take cheney and condi with ya.

[edit on 9/19/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
We can continue to argue about how we got to this position for as long as we want. Or as long as we're allowed to. We know what happened, and we know where we're at now.

I just listened to George Bush speak today. All he talked about was how the taxpayers bailing out these huge corporations was 'necessary' and more government involvement in the economy was 'essential'. Hell, maybe he feels safer being in the position that he is. I doubt anyone listens to his drivel any more, so what does he have to lose?

The time is for solutions, not more questions. I think the only one question remaining with any importance is: "How will the government, and the people, react when the Market does finally crash?"

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
the imminent collapse of the U.S. economy to occur by September 2008

I don't buy for a SECOND that they 'had never heard anything like that before',

Kinda like 'we never ever thought they'd highjack and fly planes into buildings', even though they contradicted themselves many times.

Feigning incompetence to get off their corrupt, engineered economical collapse....

Same LYING CRAP, different tradgedy.

I hope you yanks storm the white house. The world would be rooting for you!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Man....National City Bank has been sleeping with pay day loans companies. These people are devoid of any conventional morality. Ohio congress wants to shut them down. I see commercials on air saying oooh, gov wants in our bidness, if i need a hundred today and pay 120 tomorrow thats my bidness.

It's a mess.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
What does all of this mean for the average citizen? Rioting won't help unless the majority of the country joins in. Anyone who makes a fuss will be buried.

So what can people do when the very people we've put into positions of power are all power-hungry and don't give a damn about us?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Very good question Imprezza. It will be like a rolling ball of thunder. It will take probably years to gain enough energy. All people know now is their 401's are worthless. They are realizing they will have to work till 95, and it will take awhile to build up the indignation and outright anger for that to happen.

It is a ways off.

I thought there was a law on the books regarding loan sharking. I know their is a legalese name for it that I cannot remember at this time.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
As a taxpayer I demand better terms if I am going bail these a**holes out!!

Party's over and your here at my door with your hangover cryin bout how you gotta have money...well you know I'd love to help you but...

well maybe we can work something out...

Im gonna need healthcare for everybody...no games...everybody.

Your gonna have to bring home all the troops and quit spending all your money on weapons... let's bring down that "defense" budget about...say...2/3rds

oh theres more and I want it ALL in writing!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Impreza

Maybe we will all photocopy cash and use it to pay our tax bills.

It seems, to the government, that printing money solves all problems.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I spent the day watching the cable news getting overdosed by the excuses
that created the economic emergency (WHY? I was having my SUV repaired by the dealer)
Next I read two newspapers in the service waiting room finding
published in USA Today the following quote.
"Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky, describing himself as 'Outraged' by the Fed's assertiveness, sounded a similar theme. "The only difference between what the Fed did and what Hugo Chavez is doing in Venezuela is Chavez doesn't put taxpayer dollars at risk when he takes over companies. He just takes them."

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Skydancer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join