It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sit tight, a bigger bang is coming"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Science, as infinitely fascinating as it is, will be, and is, the death of us all....

M-Theory ftw!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Science is good, and Knowledge is better, but risking the entire worlds population for an experiment....

That's a bit over the top! Do you guys agree with me here?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSurrender
Science is good, and Knowledge is better, but risking the entire worlds population for an experiment....

That's a bit over the top! Do you guys agree with me here?

Nope. L2physics.
Is there anyone here who is as qualified as the Scientists conducting the experiment, or are we operating from limited understandings?
Personally, I trust the Scientists.
Not every scientist is Mengelian

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What people fail to understand is the 31 miles long is needed just for simulations for experiments to see things.
It doesn't actually make anything useful its just to study it.
To actually blow something up on a cosmic scale you would need something 31 billion miles long.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
And you guys are worried about this little project.
I worked on the tunnel for the Superconducting Super Collider project in Texas before it got canceled.
it was 54 miles in diameter. with a 2 mile side tunnel.
en.wikipedia.org...
it would have been 2.5 times bigger then the Cern Collider

By the way the parts the Europeans built for the Superconducting Super Collider were later were used to build the Cern Particle Collider.

anned
TBM operator

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I had to star you.
That would have been an awesome project to work on, and even 'awesomer' if it had been allowed to be completed.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChChKiwi
I'm glad there are some people here who appreciate the Science.
I was getting worried that there were too many doomsdayers and naysayers around and that I had been hijacked by aliens and taken to another dimension, where ATS is ruled by kooks, cranks and crackpots...oh...wait!

Now come on the original poster obviously knows, like the rest of us, that anti-matter can't bought at your local supermarket. There's one just round the corner from CERN! I mean how else will they get the stuff in there to accelerate?

"Right Prefessor we are ready to smash some electrons and positrons together"
"OK, I'll just get these positrons from the handy container over there"

You know this paranoid bull# would be hilarious except for one very sad thing : there are people here who believe it!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
So what are they going to do with the old one?

I vote they convert it into a mega fast rollercoaster.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

really? i dont recall people exploding from PET scans, so it must not be too unstable.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I was so disappointed the world didn't end when they turned the machine on . Now I can get all anxious , nervous and really really scared (again)about the next time as they power it up to full strength YAY!!
Erm I mean , Boo . we need to stop it before the world ends (again) in a ball of dark matter that we humans have created (again) , as we weak and puny humans try to find the 'God' particle (again) .......

Its getting boring, all this talk about the end of the world as we turn a machine on. Just get over it. if it does end we won't be around to complain about it will we?
So it's a win-win situation , win - the world doesn't end with the turning on of the collider and win - the world ends and we're all dead and can't post useless threads about the world ending (again). FFS stop fear mongering you panicky sheeple....
Live each day as your last anyway - tomorrow you may get hit by a bus.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
WTH?...

but...but... we don't even know what the results are going to be for the LHC! How do they even know the LHC isn't going to produce the results they need?

Shouldn't they wait to see what the LHC is able to do before they ask(tell) taxpayers to pay twice the costs for an atom smasher that is twice the size??

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it fundementaly wrong to try and recreate the big bang, not knowing what actually created the original one.

maybe just maybe, it was someone trying to recreate their original point of origin.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE

Wow
I dont belive that CERN will end the world, But this machine really does look scary. This machine will be off epic poportions and it deals with anti-matter,
Somone correct me if im wrong but isnt Anti-matter one of the most volitile things that we know about in the universe?
Still, Amazing what tech. can do these days

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yes. It is theorized that an antimatter explosion could destroy the universe.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RancidCat
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it fundementaly wrong to try and recreate the big bang, not knowing what actually created the original one.

I am sure there have been an astronomical amount of scientific experiments conducted in this Universe from beings from other planets. I

I find solace in that idea, since the Universe hasn't blown up in quite a while afterall.

maybe just maybe, it was someone trying to recreate their original point of origin.

Hmm not exactly sure what you were alluding there. But I often entertain the idea that the Creator made the Universe in an attempt to understand its origin.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
I find solace in that idea, since the Universe hasn't blown up in quite a while afterall.

According to our concept of time, yes its been awhile.
According to a mayfly 14hours is a lifetime, for a star 4 billion years is middle aged, so it would depend on your perception of the event.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RancidCat

Well I was speaking from the hypothetical perspective of other sentient beings. With a sentience at least similar enough to our own that they would also engange in 'scientific experiments'.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBeast
Whoa. How long is it going to take to build that thing.

I thought that when anti-matter and matter got together they caused a giant explosion.

Thats the theory however, now it seems to be if anti-matter and matter colide they will cancel each other out? I am not a physicist.

1) The universe doesn't exist:
In the universe there is matter, there is also anti matter (such as black holes etc), now, if matter collides with anti-matter then the two zero each other out (much like 1 +(-1) =0), so, what if there is another whole universe populated out of anti-matter planets, people etc etc etc. This would mean that if the two unverses collided then there would be nothing yet again. This may sound like garbage but there is evidence to show that there may infact be an equal amount of matter and anti matter in the universe.

Link to source

[edit on 15-9-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RancidCat

They are trying to recreate events that took place SHORTLY after the big bang. Also, where is the all the data from media "sources" that the LHC will likely create a back hole that will get out of control. CERN has done their homework and put the safety results out in 2003. So you people all doubting need to dig a little deeper before latchign yourself onto hype propogated by ignorant, biased, close minded individuals.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
With all these machines being made I can only think back to that line from The Men In Black Movie:

It Doesnt Matter, Pretty soon You Wont even Be Matter

lol I know absolutly nothing about these machine, though I am sure that every precaution has been taken to ensure safety.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
In the universe today, there is much less antimatter than matter. There was at one time much more mass in the universe than today but after it all got canceled I personally believe it turned into "dark Matter" or a weaker form of matter and that this is what is expanding the universe. When matter meets it's identical twin of matter, they cancel out, but, thermodynamics claims that energy can nither be created nor destroyed but can only be change from one for to another, So while they cannot exist as what they were they must change.

The momments after the "big bang" are happenning all around us according to the CERN scientists when cosmic rays hit the Earth at 20 to 100 TeV (TeraVolts). The only difference with the CERN Collider will be the immense magnetic tunnel they will be doing it in as opposed to the weightlessness of space.

On black holes, some scientists say they do not exist because you can never get to nothing in the universe, but who knows. In the end it may be like cavemen banging flint together and saying "Oooh..." We have to remember that everything is based on theory and math and none of all this may ever matter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join