It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sit tight, a bigger bang is coming"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

"Sit tight, a bigger bang is coming"

www.timesonline.co.uk

THE vast new Cern particle collider has only just hummed into life, but physicists are already drawing up plans for a still larger machine to answer the questions even Albert Einstein was unable to resolve.

The International Linear Collider (ILC) would be a machine up to 31 miles long, comprising two giant “guns” that would accelerate electrons and particles of antimatter called positrons to near-light speeds before smashing them together.The results could open up some of the hottest topics in physics, such as the existence of extra dimensions, the origins of gravity and even how the big bang – the event that created the universe – happened.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow
I dont belive that CERN will end the world, But this machine really does look scary. This machine will be off epic poportions and it deals with anti-matter,
Somone correct me if im wrong but isnt Anti-matter one of the most volitile things that we know about in the universe?
Still, Amazing what tech. can do these days

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Whoa. How long is it going to take to build that thing.

I thought that when anti-matter and matter got together they caused a giant explosion.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Scientists should halt their plans before building something bigger before seeing the capability of this one!
If this one that they are currently are testing can have the potential to create blackholes, stranglets, or see through dimentions, and etc. Why not see and find out on this one before jumping to make a 'bigger and better one'

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Oh great, more fodder for doomsday threads.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
yes cern seems to be a little to happy with all their funding. i say we bomb it. we bombed Iraq because we thought they had WMD's. Cern has a huge one capable of destroying the earth and we are helping them...

O say can you... Boom

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Those who run the world are very ambitiously awaiting the end by "act of God" and its not happening soon enough for them.

Its going to be a man made END- i'd say close to 2012.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shrukin89
Scientists should halt their plans before building something bigger before seeing the capability of this one!
If this one that they are currently are testing can have the potential to create blackholes, stranglets, or see through dimentions, and etc. Why not see and find out on this one before jumping to make a 'bigger and better one'

Because this is what humans do, they are in competition against themselves...if you don't keep building you'll go no where, kind of like our space program for the past 30 years. I hope the U.S. of A. builds another particle accelerator, or at least do something cool. I say we have a cold war...except instead of trying to kill each other, we try to learn more about the universe with science. Sounds better than bombs to me.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm glad there are some people here who appreciate the Science.
I was getting worried that there were too many doomsdayers and naysayers around and that I had been hijacked by aliens and taken to another dimension, where ATS is ruled by kooks, cranks and crackpots...oh...wait!

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBeast
Whoa. How long is it going to take to build that thing.

I thought that when anti-matter and matter got together they caused a giant explosion.

I think within a vaccuum, antimatter does not create any apocalypses.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Hi There,

TimesOnLine:

Physicists believe, however, that immediately after the big bang just one force existed. As the early universe cooled, this split into the four forces seen today. The ILC team hopes to recreate the elemental single force and find how it gave rise to its four successors. It could also shed light on the nature of the mysterious dark matter thought to constitute more than 90% of the universe.

Ok. So, immediately 'after' the big bang, it is thought only one force existed, and eventually through some unfathomed mechanism, gave rise to the four forces inherent in the universe. Considering the meaning of the quote, I would like to ask...if there was only one force apparent immediately 'after' the big bang, what force was apparent 'prior' to the big bang? What force led to the ignition of the big bang. Are they saying that the one force immediately 'after' is the same force that was 'prior' and the cause of the ignition?

I would think that rather than concentrate on building 'bigger' colliders, would it not be more prudent to concentrate on bettering the resolution and registering capabilities of the recording equipment that capture the collisions? I should think the size of the collider is a moot point if all colliders can move particles up to near light speed...surely, what the physicists need to attend to more is the resolution of the capture devices? The closer one gets to the big bang (time-wise), the less particles should be apparent. By creating energies matching that of the initial ignition, no particles (in speculative theory) should survive; they should disappear until the energies cool down to the point at which they can form...at which point, simultaneously, the forces already known take control, putting the physicists back to square one.

Until a certain amount of miniscule time had elapsed after the big bang, particles and the associated forces did not arise, so it would seem to be a redundant experiment to seek what was existing prior to the formation of the particles and the forces, as there is nothing to observe, except boiling energy at levels too high to observe. Therefore, the physicists do not need to go all the way back to the big bang.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
To respond to an earlier post: No, anti-matter is not one of the most "volatile" things known to man. In fact anti-matter is all around you and makes up an abundance of outer space. Its not like nitroglycerine or something that will explode if you drop it LOL.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
To respond to an earlier post: No, anti-matter is not one of the most "volatile" things known to man. In fact anti-matter is all around you and makes up an abundance of outer space. Its not like nitroglycerine or something that will explode if you drop it LOL.

Antimatter and matter collisons convert ~100% of mass into energy while comparatively a fusion reaction in a hydrogen bomb is on the order of 0.7%

I'd say it is volatile. Might not be in dangerous quantity at the present moment, but it is volatile.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

I suggest seeking psychological help.

Just wait until we learn what we learn from the new one first. It is this fear and skepticism that has kept us in the dark ages for so long.

Even so... with the way things are headed... do you really want to live long enough to die by mass starvation, disease and then a bullet from your cousins brothers sisters husbands uncle who enlisted in the military but who is now a solider for another great conspiracy theory called the NWO.

Where does the crap end?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

ill keep that in mind. but i personally think that technology is good to a certain point. who needs to know how life started? i personally don't care im more concerned about the future then experiments that will most likely jsut bring more questions.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Wow, just think how they could help the world with those billions they are using for a experiment. I find this fascinating to a point but man is the world messed up or what. They have not even tried the first one out!

[edit on 14-9-2008 by Optix]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I just felt that I should mention this: when I clicked on recent posts and began looking at the list of threads I saw the OP's name and the number of views at the time.

WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE ... 666

just thought I would share

and of course if the mods see this as off topic I understand... since it is

[edit on 14-9-2008 by justxxme]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Let me get this right ...

LHC 17miles collides protons head on at the speed of light to see what happens
ILC = 31 miles collides protons head on at the speed of light to see what happens

that is scary to me because, it would be the same result with less time wasted

I can not move at the speed of light but
I take two rocks 17 inches apart moving at 5 miles per hour smash them together and hear a bang click what ever and can view cracks
but to further my study
I take two rocks 31 inches apart moving at 5 miles per hour smash them together and hear a bang click what ever and can view cracks

I can somewhat understand the first who knows maybe Hawkings is right and we get a small blackhole that goes poof

I guess I'm reading that wrong
as to what the point would be for a longer travel test?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
Even so... with the way things are headed... do you really want to live long enough to die by mass starvation, disease and then a bullet from your cousins brothers sisters husbands uncle who enlisted in the military but who is now a solider for another great conspiracy theory called the NWO.

I suggest seeking psychological help.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
reply to post by rjmelter

ill keep that in mind. but i personally think that technology is good to a certain point. who needs to know how life started? i personally don't care im more concerned about the future then experiments that will most likely jsut bring more questions.

No one's going to HAVE a future (humans at least) if technology can't find away to help us out of the messes we are in (note plural). We need to start asking as many questions as we can work on so we can advance past this earth destroying, life destroying, moral destroying, will destroying piece of slop called The Legacy of The Mighty [Ignorant] Homo Sapien.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join