It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sit tight, a bigger bang is coming"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I agree. I don't think this is actually true since they haven't even done any experiment with the LHC yet. Only when they complete (or are advanced on) their agenda would be the time to build a bigger machine, since the things the article mention are actually the ones that they're trying to come up with LHC.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rjmelter
reply to post by N. Tesla

I suggest seeking psychological help.

Just wait until we learn what we learn from the new one first. It is this fear and skepticism that has kept us in the dark ages for so long.

Even so... with the way things are headed... do you really want to live long enough to die by mass starvation, disease and then a bullet from your cousins brothers sisters husbands uncle who enlisted in the military but who is now a solider for another great conspiracy theory called the NWO.

Where does the crap end?

The Original post

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by rjmelter
Even so... with the way things are headed... do you really want to live long enough to die by mass starvation, disease and then a bullet from your cousins brothers sisters husbands uncle who enlisted in the military but who is now a solider for another great conspiracy theory called the NWO.

I suggest seeking psychological help.

Zorgon,

I am glad to see that you cannot read into my sarcasm, ignorance is abundant on ats.

I agree with a couple of posters, what we have in current day WORLD is that people are destroying the world ebcause they do not understand how everything works. They think everything isn't connected and they think they have no impact on the world. These are all lies, we are the dominant species on Earth and therefore we are the ones responsible for taking care of it. Due to political crap we arent allowed to... SO UNTIL COMPLETE AWARENESS is abound, we will continue to hurt this world we are in. I dont know about you but I can sesne the world changing. Have you ever taken a look at the water supply? THe public water supply is decent, its chemicaled all up to destroy the pollutants... if you were however to go to a well and have it tested in a majority of areas in the U.S. you would find a vast majority of worse chemicals and pollutants... the people that live in those homes are unaware of the pollution, those groundwater reserves feed springs on top where animals either drink it or refuse to drink it... slowly killing off the the food chain.

Have you been paying attention to the honey bees? They are dissappearing and so are crops and habitats. Everything is related and correlated and if the CERN Collider can provide anwsers about the root of all existance where we are, provide us with new chemical compounds and all these new inventions that will help us live less wastefully on the earth then I am all for it. Anyone who is afraid of the collider has bought on to fear. If any of you doomsdayer would actually research the physics of any of this you would realize there isn't much danger. Yes there is some... like exploding because of heat and what not... but thats dangerous to the workers... not the world. Because as soon as it explodes the experiment ends. All this havoc for nothing. You know they say a couple of Satans names (not a beleiver in satan) is Destroyer, Havoc, Chaos, Manipulator
everyone is buying into the lies... do your research about the physics of the collider before posing propogand please. Zorgon... stay on topic

Edit to add:

Added my original quote so others can see what I was really saying.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by rjmelter]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
yes cern seems to be a little to happy with all their funding. i say we bomb it. we bombed Iraq because we thought they had WMD's. Cern has a huge one capable of destroying the earth and we are helping them...

O say can you... Boom

That is seriously funny.
Yes, they are willing to destroy the world to prove that their truth is the right one.
But wait, that's not a new concept. The only thing new about this is the antimatter, black holes possible on earth, and craziness otherwise. Slash that. History's had plenty of "craziness otheriwse".

Yes, supposedly antimatter does explode when it comes into contact with matter. Not necessarily because it is volatile, but because they just- conflict. Anti matter and matter are just volatile when together, supposedly.

But what would an explosion like that do, if it happened underground?
Is CERN underground?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE

People have to stop the rumours : /

It's getting silly now

I can guarantee you what we mere humans are doing already happens on a bigger scale in nature.

Don't worry.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This debate reminds me of one years ago when the US was considering exploding a rather large thermonuclear "device" on the moon.....so as to demonstrate to the Russians and other potential nemeses "what we had."

I agree with the writer above wholeheartedly.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I've got a question...where is it stated that stranglets actually exist?

The whole idea of 'stranglets' sound like something that came from a video game of some sort....

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
i can't wait for the day that a sophisticated alien race comes and beats the shlt outta Cern.

a spaceship descends and out exit 3 mike tyson looking guys.

"Stop messing with the unknown you idiots" they scream as they charge the weak scientists.

we have to understand that the universe is bigger then just us. we have to start thinking about the other planets. i mean yea if it comes down to it i would sacrifice someone i don't know for my life but only if necessary. in this case its totally not necessary. why not try to fix the near future like our oil crisis or global warming before spending 4 billion on one big tube and then asking for funding for a bigger tube.

i think that the LHC is like a destruction derby for scientists.

lets smash these things together to see what comes out it'll be fun.

these arrogant bastards see no faults with there creation but they neglect the fact that in human history the most unlikely of things have happened. i just hope that the mistake will only take out cern and somehow spare the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
there should be such a thing as respecting the universe we live in. not pulling it to pieces and looking at it like goons... we can look all we want it isn't neccessarily seeing. yes, reality is complex and wonderful. there are plants growing on this earth that enable us to explore our reality, our bodies and mind. this costly aggression might seem high and mighty, but it's no better than gorillas beating rocks together. i like life. these scientists should learn to enjoy themselves more and quell their hunger for knowledge..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm all for it. BUILD IT. The people around here who says the world is going to end is just a bunch of loonies.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE
Somone correct me if im wrong but isnt Anti-matter one of the most volitile things that we know about in the universe?

Yhea I think you will find it is THE most volatile thing in the universe - as I understand it if matter and anti matter come into contact (and lets face it everything you see is matter - so the machine its self would have to be matter!
) they instantly annihilate each other there by releasing 100% of the energy contained within both the matter and the antimatter - That would be true realisation of the old E=MC2!!!!!

Once your onto matter antimatter to generate your juice it's hard to imagine where you would go after that, it would be the purest form of energy.

Or have I just been watching far too much star treck?

If you consider all the energy in the full kilogram of water, which also contains oxygen atoms, the total energy equivalent is close to 10 million gallons of gasoline!

Here is a good link on E=mc2

[edit on 15/9/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If it's all true, then i have dreams too outlive....'
one day at a time..

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This new Bigger collider dosent seem awfully bigger than the LHC,IMO

a silly amount of money on a new machine marganaly bigger than the last, an extra 14 mile?

I though this one was to shed light on the big bang, higgs field n all that stuff?

what would an extra 14 mile of it really do that this one does not?

whatever it will, I shure woulden't like to stick me head in it.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrentReznor

The linear smasher workes on a different principle - The circular smashers use hugely powerful magnetic fields to force the particles faster and faster round and round until they decide to let the opposite beams merge.

On the other hand a linear smasher would project the beams directly at each other, it will use pulsed radio waves for the particles to 'surf' so a comparison by size wont work.

edit: forgot the important bit
the circular smashers are not as efficient because as the particles tear around a circular track quite a bit of the energy is lost as the particles emit x-rays.

[edit on 15/9/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Superconducting Super Collider project in Texas before it got canceled.
it was 54 miles in diameter

Actually it was suppose to have a 54 mile circumference

Now this was going to be the mother of all colliders.

The project was killed under the Clinton Administration(mostly Democrats and a handful of Repuplicans with myopic vision). I remember Congress killing this project and it was a sad day in the world of particle physics.

Many people can't understand the importance of studying matter this way. Many questions are left to be answered. While many know the primary subatomic particles, many are at odds with quarks, leptons, baryons, muons to name a few, not including the hypothetical particles demonstrated in supersymetric theory.

Einstien worked on a theory for the remainder of his life to unify the four fundamental forces(gravity, weak nuclear, strong nuclear and electromagentism) to no avail. His work continues to this day and if we can confirm theoretical and unconfirmed particles, we will come closer to understanding the "building blocks" of building blocks and edge closer to the Grand Unified Theory.

People who are against this research are the same type people who jailed Galileo and ridiculed Copernicus' work.

Shame on those people.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
ahh I see, so its a new bread of smasher, so its gonna be quite a notch up,
cool!

well I can't see them building it for a good while, I'm shure theres lots of things to be learnt from the LHC......

Escpecially if goes horribly wrong ;-)

nah, most "established" pysisist's agree that its compleatly safe, and I TRUST them, really I do.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Such irony that you sir named WERE _ALL_GONA_DIE started a thread that may mean WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!! eep!

Long ago mankind crawled out of a cave and smashed something with a rock to see what would happen. We have not really stopped thinking this way we just have much bigger rocks.

Look out people, WERE ALL GONNA DIE!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

Such irony that you sir named WERE _ALL_GONA_DIE started a thread that may mean WERE ALL GONNA DIE!!! eep!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

That Is NOT Irony - that is a coincidence.....

This is turning into a very personal (and may I add seemingly LONELY) crusade for the proper use of that flipping word

Irony would be WERE_ALL_GONNA_DIE claiming we are all going to die from something we are clearly not going to die from, God!

the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning:
Linky poos

Don't make me angry, you won't like me when I'm big green and ANGRY!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by N. Tesla

I agree wit a lot of what you said...

However, do you know what it would take to raise real awareness of the subject? The things that we understand and have learned by browsing for months and months through false articles and some true ones for that matter that bring up heave research that helps us decide our own conscious theorys and awareness. A lot of people especially here in the U.S. Dont care. They care about what they are doing at the moment, and hopefully... just hopefully because of what they are doing someone will hand them something or they could possibly make a lot of money doing it. Thats not all people but a whole lot of them. We are not yet ready for this achievement. (Some guy in another thread posted that the energy created from the LHC @ CERN would provide a beacon so that other civilizations can pinpoint our location in the universe... letting them become aware that we are almost ready or whatever he was trying to say. - I have this to say. Even if Aliens saw that mankind was ready to explore more technology... Would they be capable of handling it? They would look at the wars we are in, the pollution of our world, our reliance and a primitive based engine for vehicles and then they would explore what these select few are capable of doing. They would giggle and turn their craft around. -That is a critically thought out hypotehetical response I would have. People need to be aware of what is really going on. We as a species arent there yet. Soon though I am sure. When we go electric and Hydrogen powered or just more efficient batteries and energy storage methods. Recycle the waste we have etc. I dont trust fellow man with technology that is 10X stronger then nuclear weapons... why should we continue researching science until we fix the problem with the human conscious and individual spirit?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE

"Sit tight, a bigger bang is coming"

www.timesonline.co.uk

THE vast new Cern particle collider has only just hummed into life, but physicists are already drawing up plans for a still larger machine to answer the questions even Albert Einstein was unable to resolve.

The International Linear Collider (ILC) would be a machine up to 31 miles long, comprising two giant “guns” that would accelerate electrons and particles of antimatter called positrons to near-light speeds before smashing them together.The results could open up some of the hottest topics in physics, such as the existence of extra dimensions, the origins of gravity and even how the big bang – the event that created the universe – happened.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Idiots

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join