It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge 'was hidden from lower classes'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There is going to be an excavation of the area they are hoping it will divulge some secrets

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 11-9-2008 by wellsybelieves]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't see how the pictures letthereaderunderstand posted helps the argument at all. The pyramids in the picture don't even line up with the rock formations in the picture! I can superimpose pictures of pyramids and geometry over regular pictures too...

I'm going to have to stick with Occam's Razor on this one. There are lots of good explanations for regular uses for stonehenge... religious, astronomical.... there is no need to start jumping to pyramid/alien UFO references without any evidence. Yes I said it, those photos with pyramids superimposed are NOT evidence of anything because they don't even line up.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
I don't see how the pictures letthereaderunderstand posted helps the argument at all. The pyramids in the picture don't even line up with the rock formations in the picture! I can superimpose pictures of pyramids and geometry over regular pictures too...

I'm going to have to stick with Occam's Razor on this one. There are lots of good explanations for regular uses for stonehenge... religious, astronomical.... there is no need to start jumping to pyramid/alien UFO references without any evidence. Yes I said it, those photos with pyramids superimposed are NOT evidence of anything because they don't even line up.

It's o.k. It is rare that anyone catches what I am pointing out to them. You would have to know why the megalithic structures were set up, before you would understand how the overlays correlate and what they are showing you or how it relates to the Masons or "Builders" of society. They were set up for one reason and one reason only, but your going to have to do your homework to figure that one out. I'll give you a clue though. It has to do with Noah's sons.

Peace

[edit on 11-9-2008 by letthereaderunderstand]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Perhaps if there was a fence, its purpose was to prevent the ordinary person seeing the incredible techniques used to raise the stones. I think it's likely that its builders were a secret society of sorts - probably the elite survivors and sages of the deluge at the end of the ice age.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Your cryptic ways, cetainly remind me of emenant-kaos

also the post above this could indeed be correct, didn't think of that, The Stonemasons, may have been an early type of freemasons, and where highly skilled but very secretive in thier methods.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
reply to post by letthereaderunderstand

Your cryptic ways, cetainly remind me of emenant-kaos

also the post above this could indeed be correct, didn't think of that, The Stonemasons, may have been an early type of freemasons, and where highly skilled but very secretive in thier methods.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by monkeybus]

maybe that's the clue monkeybus, you might have to endure a little chaos, before you see what is sane. You never need to worry about what is done behind walls or fences or closed doors for that matter, but what is done right in front of you, that is what you need to pay most attention to.

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
My take on Stonehenge has barely changed with the theories. I stick with the one theory that is was a gathering place on the longest and shortest days of the year, the Solstices. Science has shown that in the days of the henge's glory, it would have aligned perfectly with the rise of the Solstice Sun. Even the lines on the ground point to that specific place.

As to the outlying areas around the great circle, I would agree that it seems more like the spectator arena, while the inner circle was revered and only for the priests to bless the event.

The wooden Henge miles south has been seen as a place where they would migrate to for the festival of the night. Some relics have been found that would suggest that the night festival might include ritualistic sacrifice, even murder. They worshipped the dead and the spirits and the choas of it all. Intoxication, sacrifice, fornication, exhibitions, all seem to be what has been suggested.

What I believe:
Stonehenge was celebrated with the rising sun, signifying life
Woodhenge was celebrated in the night, under the ghostly moon and signified their respect for the dead

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Ive got a mate who is secretary of the Druid council ( not like a answer the phone secretary ), he`s one of the very few who can go inside with out aplying for permision and does so 4 or 5 times a year for solstice and other Druid ceromony`s.
I`ll ask him his thoughts tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

Regardless of whether or not Stonehenge is of religious or cultural importance, I feel quite strongly that people would have paid to see the events there, and this is the most likely explanation in my humble opinion.

Celts, none of them from any of the regions that Celts where found, had "Currency"...

Again, like I said, we think in modern terms and not the way it once was..

As for a stadium, no, that was not the nature of any ritual, to hold it as if it where a play.. more then likely the entire community partook in the celebrations there.

As for aliens, scary nazi men and aliens, other stone circles and aliens, I make no comment on childish day dreams, though I must say I find it repulsive.

Venit

Pretty common with henges and other religious sites, these are liminal boundaries, basically to separate the outside 'unpure' with the inner religious purity. I would dispute the class element per se.

Except in the inner rankings of the religious institutions of the time there where no "unpure" or "outsiders" like in Christian or ME religions.

Almost all northern European "pagan" religions where very incorporated into the community. The "druids" of Celtic times where every thing from bards who sang, lawyers, doctors and those who interpreted law. The actual religion was not as we think in todays terms, where people praised and worshiped and bowed on bended knee.. the God's where just the God's, you held celebration and sacrifice to appease them, but you never truly worshiped them. When Christianity came to Celtic lands, as well as Romans, their religions where queer in the aspects of self-submission to a vengeful God.

Cythraul

Perhaps if there was a fence, its purpose was to prevent the ordinary person seeing the incredible techniques used to raise the stones. I think it's likely that its builders were a secret society of sorts - probably the elite survivors and sages of the deluge at the end of the ice age.

The construction would have taken generations to complete, and would have required all the attention of the villagers.. I would say it is unlikely a secret society built it, more then likely a very powerful dynasty of chiefs, or Kings.

The wooden structure around Stone Henge could very well be the outlying boundary of a building that enclosed the Henge.

monkeybus

also the post above this could indeed be correct, didn't think of that, The Stonemasons, may have been an early type of freemasons, and where highly skilled but very secretive in their methods.

No, not at all.. almost as bad as aliens and pyramids.
The Circle is of religious and scientific purpose, as there are many stone structures like this all across Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland. Freemasonry is an Enlightenment English invention, and certainly NOT a 3 thousand year old secret society.

wheresthetruth

My take on Stonehenge has barely changed with the theories. I stick with the one theory that is was a gathering place on the longest and shortest days of the year, the Solstices. Science has shown that in the days of the henge's glory, it would have aligned perfectly with the rise of the Solstice Sun. Even the lines on the ground point to that specific place.

These where the two most important days of the year for these cultures. There where huge celebrations, pilgrimages, and gatherings to celebrate the two days. I think it's quite obvious Stone Henge was the Britons version of Terra to the Irish, where people made pilgrimages to huge festivals and ritualistic celebrations.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Hello Rockpuck. I value your opinion, but am a little miffed as to why you would be so "repulsed" at any other thoughts that are not your own. Seeing that you are a 32 Degree Mason, who better to know then you. Could you please let us in on your knowledge, so that we might not "Repulse" you. You really should do your Masonic duty and lift up, not tear down your community. As I said, I value your opinion and seek knowledge myself, but your rhetoric is a little discouraging to us "laymen". Thank you

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Rockpuck..

Why were there 'religous and scientific' purposes across England and Ireland?

Were they the same, as in, did they both pay attention to the night sky and constellations/star configurations?

Or were different explanations existant for each?

I ask only because 'religous and scientific' imply different things...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Rockpuck.. Why were there 'religous and scientific' purposes across England and Ireland? Were they the same, as in, did they both pay attention to the night sky and constellations/star configurations? Or were different explanations existant for each? I ask only because 'religous and scientific' imply different things...

They where the same Culture, what we call Celtic (which is actually Greek Celtoi for Barbarian ......) Though since the 1800's "Celtic" revival all the cultures of Briton, Scotland, Wales, Cornwal, Manx, Northern France, Ireland, they where all put together as one culture because of vast similarities. Why they are so similar is unknown, they most likely originated on mainland Europe, probably in the Northern France region. Crossing the sea to Ireland, it's actually a misconception that the people of Briton went to Ireland, evidence suggest the people from Ireland then moved into the Scotland region.

But evidence such as Stone Henge shows that a very ancient people and culture where spread across this region of the World. The purpose of Stone Henge would be to track the movement of stars, the sun, and the seasons.

Samhain was celebrated by the Irish (and still is for some) and Samhainn in Scottish, so similar are the two cultures that in their language it was called the same thing. This is a sort of Thanks Giving type holiday, marking the end of summer and the harvest, and the beginning of the season of the dead. The seasons where divided by two Gods, one God representing life, happiness and plenty, while the other represents death, coldness and the sufferings people endured. If your entire life is based around the success of a harvest, much superstition is going to come around the season that decides the fate of the people. Celebrations at significant sites marked the beginning of this season, at groves, stone circles, important stone mounds called Carns, a fire is produced in this festival and passed to every individuals home.. it's supposed that all the hearth fires of the entire winter season originate from one source. The opposite of this festival is Beltane, which you may have heard from various Neopagan groups, the largest Pagan gatherings in the World occur on Beltane in England and Scotland. Also, just an interesting tidbit, while Samhain was the "dark" season, they still did not consider him "evil"..

Stone circles where used for these purposes, they where also used to cremate the dead, or to intern bodies in cairns like structures, depending on their importance to the community. They where also used for other significant rituals, and also for science.

The science is still quite unknown, we know they tracked stars, the sun and moon very well.. however there is also some evidence that says the circles may have been used to determine distances as well...

In fact, there are even evidence that the circles represent markings along what we would consider "longitude, latitude".. even some in America that have no explanation as to how they got here..

The problem with us today is we only look at things through our current perception..

Our other problem is we assume our ancestors where dull, stupid and neanderthalish .. Humanity has never grown in intelligence, only in understanding.. a man born 3,500 years ago was just as intelligent as you and I, perhaps more so, we will never know.. So who knows, really, what they did in these circles, I can say with confidence it didn't involve ET and flying ships though.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thank you Rockpuck

I find the part interesting about determining distance, as it seams scale played a big role in the building of structures.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You will find it was not, the date of the so-called fence is Bronze Age, not late Neolithic. Wait and see

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by Gwendoline

The thing is that there are illustrations of stonehenge very much like it stands today dating at least back to the 1500's and they reinforced the remaining standing stones because of (1) the undermining of them by a local rabbit colony and (2) because of the vibrations of the way too nearby roads. So it really is not a modern reconstruct.

How do you know the "illustrations of stonehenge" date back to the 1500's ?? - just curious. I'm very interested in why we accept an explanation of history as fact when we cannot know that illustrations from 1500 where not acutally produced in 1976 or 1997 even

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwendoline

There is a very interesting book out there that I forget the title right off the top of my head but it isn't concerned with speculation about stonehenge per say but what we actually know about it and in the book it traces the histories of the various scholars and artists who have visited the site and includes some of their art work. One was the architect Ineigo Jones,

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join