It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Series FRINGE - Episode Discussion Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infra_red

Originally posted by TH3ON3

I really wish the mainstream movie producers would stop putting out unbelievable movies and television series. Fringe was a big disappointment because I know we don't have any chemical agent that can dissolve human flesh that fast with such a small quantity administered.

Do they think we are all retards or something, and that because it has numerous flashes and explosions we will overlook the absurdity of the science. Just more of the same old crap that plays down to most of us.

Since you are posting as a skeptic, I will try to direct my answer with fact that can be researched. From watching the first episode, I think that the series could be a hit and shed some light on topics discussed here if presented within reason. I look forward to future episodes.

Necrotizing Fascitis

Rachel Nowak-Killer virus: An engineered mouse virus leaves us one step away from the ultimate bioweapon -New Scientist Online News

I'm not posting as a skeptic, but as a realist. I know about necrotizing facieitis, and yes that would have been very believable, maybe a designer strain that when they landed they were pretty sick. But the face meltng away in a matter of a few seconds, please. Also, plugging in to the dead guy to talk to him.

Take the Indiana Jones movies, the first one was awesome, and it featured a face melting away, but that was caused by a supernatural force, which a large segment of the population can believe, and I loved that movie.

Then they follow that up with the dismal Temple Of Doom, and the scene where the guy gets his heart removed and he is still alive screaming ike a banshee while the heart continues to pump, and then the scene where the runaway boxcar with four people inside all with very different weights jumps the broken rails and just happens to land perfectly on the other side about 20 feet away, from that moment on believable story lines were in a downward spiral, and Hollywood has only proven my point with most all of the big releases since then being too fantastic to really take serious.

I'm talking about the stories set in real time without any paranormal/supernatural reasons for the unbelievable occurances.

I understand you want it to be a hit, and so do I, but if they don't start writing some believable stories that a large segment of the population can find plausible it will fail in short measure.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oh its about as believable as say... X-Files? or something on the Sci-Fi channel... So whats the big deal, it just entertainment on TV. Much of the crap on the tube really bores me.. reality TV, game shows, etc so I am kinda of glad there is something new and bizarre to watch, and I think the farther they push the plot, the more interesting it gets.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I hate to say it but I just can't resist. I told you so!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I actually enjoyed the first episode. The pituitary gland thing reminds me of the old Kolchak: Night Stalker movie of the Doctor that had to kill so many folks in order to maintain his youth.

Kolchak - Night Stalker

Another thing I really love, and it amazes me that they spend the money on the CGI just for it, is the 3 Dimensional Wording that describes the building or location of important scene changes. There is one where they even went to the trouble to show the reflection of the 3-D Wording on the puddles of water that were on the ground.

I talked to some of the folks at Bad Robot, J. J. Abrams production company, about securing an interview with him so the members of AboveTopSecret.Com can submit their questions about Fringe. I will advise the membership if it is granted and will announce a question thread in the Guest area if it happens.

Dave

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
that would be awsome. ive been watching sence the pilot it was the thing that reminded me of this place.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Is the pattern Walter was repeating tonight.

www.61803398874989484820458683436563811.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Its in the Lower right hand hole in the grate... The Logarithmic Spiral is a natural pattern.

Appears here too:
www.61803398874989484820458683436563811.com...

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Xabora]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It seems like every review I read about this show is horrible. They pretty much all say that X-Files was 100x better... although I've had more than a few people tell me in person how great the show is.

It's almost like I have to watch it for myself to find out...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

It's funny you should say that.... it was the main reason why I didn't get into X-Files until the 2nd year season. I think Fringe will keep getting better and better. Because of my experience with X, I do not listen to critics or even others, but prefer to make my own mind up. So far.... I love it.

Dave

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm hooked! Now I just hope that it doesn't get cancelled anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
As a writer of conspiracy fiction, I can see how their script work is evolving. In some respects, they have a shot at being better than the X-Files because of the internet (for research) and special effects. A lot of today's TV viewers and bookworms google what they see or read. Fringe has a shot at being true to its genre or more "factual" in ways that the X-Files never could.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Justin Oldham

Justin, I am a big fan of 'Science Fiction'.

Doesn't mean I subscribe to your particular view.....

We must ascertain what we mean by 'science fiction'....before we can begin to discuss it logically.

The new TV Series 'Fringe'....in my opinion (and this is merely MY opinion) started off a little weak.

But, Pilot Episodes sometimes mirror that aspect....the actors are still finding their 'characters'....etc.

I'd like to let this series play out, and see where it goes.

Just my two dollars (inlflation!!!!)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I myself am willing to give it time to play out. It's been my TV watching expeirence that you don't really know what a series is capable of until episode 6 or 8.

AS for the sTS Mix, it'll be interesting to hear Dave's commentary on the show. It's one thing to see aTV show that showcases UFO stuff, but its antoehr matter to interview the people who actually do the real investigations.

Same thing goes for the Weird Science angles.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Anywhere to watch it online....most the links are either dead or just really slow and don't buffer??

Any ideas?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I really enjoy the show, Its like a modern day X-Files. The father Walter is great, I have good laughs when he says some off the cuff comments. True nobody will ever replace Duchovy and Anderson and the whole mystique of the X-Files but it is right up there in my own opinion and I kinda dig the Agent Dunham, She is real cute but I still cant the images of The Mighty Ducks Charlie Conway out of my head when I see Josh Jackson but hes doing ok..Hope the show gets picked up for next year.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
great show im already a big fan
my wife says"its to confusing" and i just laugh .
I think the great doctor makes the show. I'v found a couple incinsistacies but thay were so small i already forgot them. I hope it stays on

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by keeb333

so youve seen one show and made that decision huh???
just the other day i saw the very first x files, and buddy
it was kinda lame

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cmd18B

I've decided the writing is so stiited, I just hope the the show lasts at least one season, so al of the actors get paid....

But, as to the writing, I had to turn it off, last week. It was very, very sad, from the standpoint of a script.....or a telescript....so sad it made it that far.........

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bugs_n_recovery
reply to post by keeb333

so youve seen one show and made that decision huh???
just the other day i saw the very first x files, and buddy
it was kinda lame

I bet if you have seen it in 1993, you will not think in that way!
I loved the first season at that time...i almoust puke now if i try to see again...
For the time they lauch the series, it was exelent, with the perfect impact for the 90's society. (first season was launched in September 10, 1993).

The X-Files

[edit on 27/9/08 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
when does the next episode air?

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Tuesday Sept 30th 9/8c

^ From the official website.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join