It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

I'm still not getting it. I think I'm going to need another hint, or maybe just the solution

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
1900 points in about 1 hour, now. Hang in there Americandingbat. I've got a feeling you'll crack it.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

:shk: I don't know about that :shk:

But if we haven't solved it before Ian's road trip takes him to New York, I'll beat it out of him

[edit on 3/10/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
What? Still not solved?

I suggest you guys take a look at some of the previous posts, for example TrustMeIKnow's investigations, perhaps in addition to the fourth hint.

Is there a 'special prize' if it hits 2,000 points, Static?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Reposting to avoid the bug in the forum software that makes it not display images.

Clockwork Orange

Hints

1. There are 25 letters in the ciphertext alphabet.
2. There are 18 letters in the solution.
3. Don't be distracted by the lights.
4. The puzzle title contains a key piece of information.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
In under an hour now, Ian McLeans "Clockwork Orange" will hit 2000 points! Very few puzzles have lasted this long. Well done, Mr. McLean.

I think I may finally understand it now but I have not had the time to put in to crack it, yet. I now think I can though. The clue about reviewing a couple posts from a member on the last page, and the name of the puzzle, made it 'click'. But I can't play for points anyways since I'm 'on the inside'. I'm just saying that I now see that it's all there.

I'll try to find a bit of time to get it cracked tomorrow. I'll let you know if I succeed or not. :bnghd:

Anyways, good luck to all and lets bring this one down!
(It seems I like 'cheers-ing' a lot. LOL).

[edit on 3/11/2009 by Static Sky]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

2000 points! I knew I could get one of these to 2000 points, eventually!

Static Sky is correct - it's all there, for the persistent puzzler.

Let's get this one solved! I've had another waiting in the wings. You'll like it, everyone - it's got triangles and dots and stuff.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I'm still not able to get any meaning out of the title of the puzzle, I think that's what's stumping me. I've used a couple techniques to get it down to 18 characters (taking the differences between neighboring characters, and adding the top row to the bottom row so that each character is used in 2 sums except for the two outside-top characters), and then run the results through Caesar ciphers and through polyalphabetic ciphers (add or subtract 1 to the first character, add or subtract 2 to the second, add or subtract 3 to the third ...)

But I haven't done anything with the title, cause I don't know what to do with it

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
"time waits for gnomon"

Is it correct?

(Just give me some time to put my daughters in bed and I'll explain how I get there...)

-----------------------------------

Ok, back again… here's the explanation:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ccc2a4d450d.jpg[/atsimg]

I started to display the letters from all frames on a table. It was enough to know the first frame - the following letters were in cyclic order.
Then, I checked the space difference from letters between columns (above in the table):
A --> E ------ 3
E --> W ------ 16
W --> I ------ 11

From Ian's hint, that the puzzle title was a key, I used the word orange repeatedly, finding the correspondent letter in each column. It was my reference point. Then, I applied the result above, counting the space from the reference point (in a cyclic way, in the same column) to find out the solution.
And so I got: TIMEWAITSFORGNOMON

Thanks, Ian! You gave me a lot to think in the last few days… I started to play with the lights (hi, Static! cat#2 here...
) and then I, quite possibly, have made all sort of combinations and calculations with letters. I also developed the special skill to spell the alphabet without the Q. And when Ian gave that hint about the key in the title, I fell so tempted to see the movie

Lesson learned:
- Keep it simple

[edit on 12-3-2009 by danamoon]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Congratulations danamoon!

That is indeed the correct answer, and you have earned 2000 points.

I'm looking forward to your explanation of how you found the right approach.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Congrats Danamoon! Very well done! I had to read the explaination three times to get it.
As Ian said, you will find yourself 2000 points richer very shortly.

I didn't have time to try to work it out today, either. Woke up this morning to find out my fuel pump crapped out.
I know what I'm doing ALL DAY Saturday.

Anyways, congratulations again Danamoon. Very well done! And thanks for a really great cipher Ian!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by danamoon

Great explanation, Dana, and very similar to the chart I composed when putting the puzzle together.

Another puzzle later tonight or tomorrow, folks.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

As promised, everyone, here is a new puzzle that's been sitting on my hard drive for the last week or so.

I think the fun with this one will be determining the devious method I have used to encode the various boundaries between words.

This might be the last puzzle I have time to do for a little while, as our exciting road trip is about to begin! Actually, there may be some extra time while driving to brainstorm various new codes; we'll see.

Enjoy everyone and good luck!

On Target

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Happy Friday the 13th everybody. Since it's posting, Ian McLeans "On Target" has been at 500 points and counting. Good luck to all and thanks for playing!

And thanks again to Ian McLean for yet another very interesting looking puzzle. Cheers!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Sorry for no update yesterday. I got to replace the fuel pump in my Explorer. Anyways, "On Target" is at 700 points now. As always, good luck and be well.

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
In just a few minutes now, "On Target" hits 800 points. I'm glad there are no lights to chase in this one, at least. Good luck everyone!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
"On Target" will be at 900 points in a couple of minutes now. Anyone getting anywhere with this one yet?

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good morning everyone. Thanks for keeping this up to date, Static Sky!

Even though I'm on the road, I'm still checking in to see how everything is going with this puzzle. No progress yet? Well, we'll have to do something about that. Here's a repost, to which I have added a hint:

On Target

Hints

1. 2=3

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Today is the day that "On Target" hits 1000 points! I always like when they get over this mark. It happens in about 10 or 15 minutes. Good luck everyone.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Ian McLeans' "On Target" is at 1100 points now. I'm glad it doesn't move and there aren't any distracting lights, anyways. LOL. Good luck everyone and have a great day!

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join