It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear ABM's of The USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2003 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The Early Years

The initial thought of providing a defence against ballistic missiles started in World War II once the V2 started landing on their targets. In the context of the US ballistic missile defence effort, its anti-ballistic missile (ABM) effort can be traced back to the late stages of World War II. These early efforts by the US were focused on anti-aircraft defence rather than anti-missile. However, the concepts and methods required to intercept an inbound missile are comparable to those required to intercept and aircraft. The only difference is the speed of the target and the manner of detection. By mastering anti-aircraft defence, it was then a simple matter of extending those skills to intercept re-entry vehicles (RV).

It was in 1944 that the US Army requested General Electric to start Project Thumper which was to later develop the collision intercept method of intercepting a target and thus achieving its destruction. This project was to study the use of a missile in the anti-aircraft role. Another project was done by Bell Labs and was initiated by the Army in 1945. This project was called Project Nike. It was from this project that Nike Ajax was developed and then Nike Hercules. The ultimate Nike project missile was of course the Nike Zeus.

www.paineless.id.au...

posted on Jan, 13 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
i was on the strategic command webpage and reading about ballistic missales and i'm sure some of you have heard of the peacekeeper but an oxymoron the name is though

posted on Jan, 14 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
they are all being destroyed, stupid F*ing start treaty

posted on Jan, 14 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yes, why the MX and not the old Minuteman ????

posted on Jan, 15 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Peacekeeper lived up to its name by maintaining peace for the USA at the WORLD level. It's going away since the Russians didn't like its capability to carry 10 mirvs compared to the 3 mirvs on the Minuteman III.

The Minuteman III is undergoing a huge upgrade to extend its life before the Minuteman IV comes on line in the future.

As for the ABM system, I believe the USAF should run it not the Army. It doesn't make sense that the Army is using USAF facilities and old ICBMs for the ABM project. Also, the warning systems for incoming ICBMs are controlled by the USAF. It's just a political move to keep the Army up there in importance with the USAF.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Sure MT69.

But the Russians had ( or still have ? ) their SS-18 Satan.
The MW had 10 MIRV's ( 335 Kt per warheads ), and the SS-18 had 10 MIRV's ( 500 Kt pey warheads ). And they had more Satan than the US had Peacekeeper.

Anyway, what about the MARV's ?

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 07:13 PM
link   
MIRVS = Multiple Integrated Re-entry Vehicles.

posted on Jan, 16 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by MT69
MIRVS = Multiple Integrated Re-entry Vehicles.

Yes, I know. I was not speaking about the MIRV's, but the MARV's ( Multiple Attacking Re-Entry Vehicles ).

And the " I " doesn't mean Integrated, but " Independent ".

top topics

join