It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian PM employs loophole in potential power grab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

TORONTO, Canada (AP) -- Canada's prime minister dissolved Parliament on Sunday and called an early election for next month in hopes of strengthening his Conservative minority government's hold on power.
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has changed the date for parliamentary elections via a legislative loophole.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's party needs an additional 28 seats to have a majority in Parliament. Although he has downplayed that possibility, polls in recent days indicate his right wing party has a chance to do so.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeykillingmonkey

This is BS. What this is, is our country attempting to do what they do in the US. I bet this is being done so Harper can start calling on the Russians over the resources in the arctic, or perhaps its so they can join the NAU without any opposition. Either way we all know that Harper is Bush's Canadian counterpart for sure, just look at how military spending has increased since he took office, or the unwillingness to invest in our infrastructure. BS i tell you.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Yep not too mention the extended role in afghanistan, and making it a combat role. I'm afraid tho that they are just gonna win there majority this time around. Even if the liberals won I don't know how much better a job they would do. I'm not particularly a big fan of Dion. I didn't vote liberal in the last election, and I don't intend to this time. I hear a lot of people who don't want the conservatives in saying don't vote NDP/Green vote liberal so they can beat the conservatives, but I don't believe in voting for a party I don't like, just so one I like less dosn't get in.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I dislike Harper to. My Qubeecer wife has educated me to his evils... He is most definitely the mini me version of Bush.

But what we both want to know is how in the heck has he dissolved parliament?
That would be akin to Bush dissolving congress. If that happened the military would come home and remove him from power... We may be a dumbed down brainwashed soceity but we do have certian trigger points that would cause instant revolution. SO if harper dissolved parliament why aren't the Liberals and QB calling for his immediate removal from office?

I mean that is a power grab akin to a dictator.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Exactly, the liberals are a bunch of do-nothings and Dions attempt to sport the green thumb looked like a desperate attempt to gain support. While the NDP claims to have some strong values i dont feel that Layton is that strong of a leader, and the green party just doesnt think realistically at times.

They should bring back the rhinocerous party IMO.

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

You are right about one thing. We Canadians still have alot of fight in us when it comes to opposing our government largely due to the fact that we arent subjected to the higher levels of brainwashing as they are in the US. I think our weak point is voter confidance, we have been taken to the cleaners so many times for the past 20 years by our politicians that we just dont give a rats ass anymore who gets voted in, the outcome is always the same. Our young voter base is non-existant and the ones who do vote are drastically uninformed.

What i am afraid of is that we are too late and our voting systems are rigged not unlike the US voting system and that this election will change nothing. Most Quebecers will probably be outraged if Harper wins a majority but if they are not careful and riots and protests happen as a result of it Harper might use this as a means of widdling away our rights. It seems perhaps they are almost counting on this to happen.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Prime Minister Harper didn't dissolve anything, Governor General Jean did. She has the power to dissolve Parliament granted by the Constitution.

Toronto Sun

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by monkeykillingmonkey

This is BS. What this is, is our country attempting to do what they do in the US. I bet this is being done so Harper can start calling on the Russians over the resources in the arctic, or perhaps its so they can join the NAU without any opposition. Either way we all know that Harper is Bush's Canadian counterpart for sure, just look at how military spending has increased since he took office, or the unwillingness to invest in our infrastructure. BS i tell you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with military spending, especially when your military used to consist of a bunch of rotten sea-kings and some other throwbacks to decades gone by. If you're so down on the US's alleged imperialist policies, perhaps you should favor a military strong enough to hold them off when they come for your oil, gas, and fresh water.

Would you prefer to let Russia take control of Arctic resources without a fight and let them tighten their stranglehold on Europe and expand their sphere of influence further?

Stephen Harper is the Executive Branch of the Canadian federal government, so yes, he is George Bush's counterpart. But that doesn't mean anything other than that they have a similar job description.

Originally posted by titorite

I dislike Harper to. My Qubeecer wife has educated me to his evils... He is most definitely the mini me version of Bush.

But what we both want to know is how in the heck has he dissolved parliament?
That would be akin to Bush dissolving congress. If that happened the military would come home and remove him from power... We may be a dumbed down brainwashed soceity but we do have certian trigger points that would cause instant revolution. SO if harper dissolved parliament why aren't the Liberals and QB calling for his immediate removal from office?

I mean that is a power grab akin to a dictator.

Because it is perfectly legal, see above.

Guys, don't hate because the Conservatives kept their election promises and have had the longest running minority government in Canadian history.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Harper kept his election promises? Are you serious?!
Oh my. You're probably the first person I've ever heard say that. He's killed every green initiative he said he'd see through, broke his promises concerning post secondary education cost reduction, broke off all renewable energy funding in favor of the oil sands, broke his promise to implement a guarantees max wait time for medical care, on and on and on. The guy is a failure!

Though I live in BC so it's not like a Canadian election will concern me as I live west of Manitoba so who cares about us? BC and AB should just break off and form a new country

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Well he did promise to cut the GST by 2 points, and he did it years ahead of schedule. He also increased the baby bonus and invested in the military. I'm not saying he's done every single thing he said he would, but he's not some kind of dismal failure like the opposition makes him out to be. Besides, he will get a lot more done when he stays in office

There's no way he can guarantee a max wait time without serious reforms to the medical system which liberals will never endorse, like instituting nominal copays, making provinces allow privatized healthcare in addition to the public system, and cutting income tax for doctors so they don't have to see 100 people a day just to make a decent living. On top of that the country is hemorrhaging (English speaking) doctors and people go to the ER for a runny nose or a skinned knee. The man can't make a cupcake out of a pile of dog doo. Besides, isn't healthcare the province's problem?

All I'm saying is Harper inherited all the problems you're talking about. The higher learning costs, the wait times, etc. Even if he started working on all that from his first day in office (which we have no proof that he hasn't been), it still wouldn't be turned around by now. Those problems are decades old and his government is 2 1/2 years old. He's working on it.

p.s. If BC and AB formed a country it would be like the odd couple. But there's no way you'd get out without the Yukon coming with you.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The Governor General dissovled parliament at Harpers request. But like you said no there is nothing illegal about that. As for keeping election promises I don't think it's a very good argument to say well what do you expect he only had a few years. Especially when he's the one that has caused this election.

And Military spending isn't the worst thing, but I think a nation that has always been known and praised for there peace keeping efforts, should take care of more pressing issues at home before beefing up our military, and sending our soldiers into a combat role in a war that they are not going to end in the sense of the enemy surrendering. And no I do not want russia or the states pushing us over for oil/water/the arctic whatever it may be, but trying to stop that with military action is the last thing I would want my country to do.

I also live in BC and realize that the election dosn't effect me
But I am proud to be a young voter voting in my second election. Now if only more people my age would not be so apathetic about the politics in our country.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkeykillingmonkey
The Governor General dissovled parliament at Harpers request. But like you said no there is nothing illegal about that. As for keeping election promises I don't think it's a very good argument to say well what do you expect he only had a few years. Especially when he's the one that has caused this election.

Some promises are hard to keep with a minority government that has no political will and digs in its heels every time the PM tries to do anything at all just to make him look bad. Do you really expect him to be able to have fixed decades old problems in just 2 1/2 years WITH a minority government? It's beyond impossible. I'm impressed that he even got one thing done.

And Military spending isn't the worst thing, but I think a nation that has always been known and praised for there peace keeping efforts, should take care of more pressing issues at home before beefing up our military, and sending our soldiers into a combat role in a war that they are not going to end in the sense of the enemy surrendering. And no I do not want russia or the states pushing us over for oil/water/the arctic whatever it may be, but trying to stop that with military action is the last thing I would want my country to do.

It's impossible to be peaceful or neutral in the world without a serious military. Just ask Switzerland
. I think they know a thing or two about it. They have kept a very well trained and up to date military with mandatory service for hundreds of years which has enambled them to do it. Without it they would have fallen prey to every single invading hoard that swept across Europe like the other countries.

Sometimes diplomacy fails. And when that time comes, if you don't have a strong military, I'm sure you realize you are effed.

I also live in BC and realize that the election dosn't effect me
But I am proud to be a young voter voting in my second election. Now if only more people my age would not be so apathetic about the politics in our country.

It's not just young people who are like that. It's most people. I suggest you use their apathy and mental laziness to your advantage. It shouldn't be hard to rise above people like that in your career, community, or field of interest.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You guys realize that with the Conservatives holding a minority government that there has to be an election after 2 years right? It has been 2 years, so we go into election mode. This is not some kind of underhanded scheme to grab power, it is the law of the land.

I am not a Harper guy, but who can compete with him? In all honesty, Dion is a lame duck and will not be able to garner any votes. His English is worse than Cretien's. The NDP is a joke and needs to do what the PCs did few years back, go soul searching. The only reason that there is no majority government now is because the Bloc steal PC votes in Quebec.

As for what Harper did and didn't do. With the minority government and the broken parliamentary system in Canada, there was not too much he could do. Anything brought up that was disliked by both the NDP and Liberals could be used as a confidence vote and off to elections we go. It is hard to do anything that would be considered "radical" without getting bombed back to elections. Liberals would have shot down tuition lowering.

He should have increased military spending by more, so that we can develop our military. As much as the bleeding hearts hate the military, we need it. We know you hate the Americans even more, so who would you rather have protect you? We need to update our ancient planes. We need better, homegrown solutions. Who knows what we need to defend ourselves better than us? We need stuff made here specifically for our terrain and climate.

After this next election fiasco, we will see the PCs with a majority government and we will be able to go back to getting things done.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Exactly, the liberals are a bunch of do-nothings

Wow! Just like the United States!!!

While I'm not well-read concerning Canadian politics, I would have expected more of a backlash from this move.

This isn't getting much play in the U.S. media. What gives?

Becker

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44

This isn't getting much play in the U.S. media. What gives?

Becker

[edit on 8-9-2008 by Becker44]

What does Canada do that ever gets attention in the US? The country would have to blow up for the US to notice. Not that that's a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Good point.

You are the largest supplier of crude oil for us. Thanks!

You dominate the frozen ponds.

Last time any big Canadian news was heard came when Quebec was threatining to secede. Why on earth did you stop that?

Seriously, Is this getting wall-to-wall coverage on Canadian MSM?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44
Good point.

You are the largest supplier of crude oil for us. Thanks!

You dominate the frozen ponds.

Last time any big Canadian news was heard came when Quebec was threatining to secede. Why on earth did you stop that?

Seriously, Is this getting wall-to-wall coverage on Canadian MSM?

Not where I am, it has been really quiet. I think I got a couple of mailers and that was it so far.

We never really decided to keep Quebec, they more or less decided that maybe being a pampered province was a whole lot better than being a welfare country.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

We never really decided to keep Quebec, they more or less decided that maybe being a pampered province was a whole lot better than being a welfare country.

Exactly. Quebec is one big rural ghetto, except for the nice cities...which have their own problems. Remember that freeway overpass that COLLAPSED in Laval (Montreal to non-Cdns) a couple of years ago?

Quebec gets more federal welfare than any other province. Why would they want to give that up?

I just moved into a new place so I don't have tv yet, but the election probably all over the news. It was all over the paper.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
I just moved into a new place so I don't have tv yet, but the election probably all over the news. It was all over the paper.

I haven't seen anything yet, I was just at home for lunch. I know the radio had a small blurb on it this morning. I am hoping to hear some kind of platforms instead of this:

Liberals - We don't suck so bad...anymore
PC - See we told you we weren't the Anti-Christ
NDP - Hey guys, we still exist!
Green - DOPE FOR ALL! and less carbon
PQ - SCREW CANADA!! ...but we will keep your money, your army, your RCMP, and Les Canadiens

I just checked cbc.ca and ctv.ca and only ctv had a story about the election.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I read an article in today's paper about it, and have seen Harper election mudslinging campaign ads on TV.

I'm ashamed to say I know more about American politics than Canadian politics.

Looks like I have some reading up to do.

I know I'm not voting for Harper though, I've never liked him, and he looks creepy when he smiles in some of his campaign ads.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Although not technically illegal, Harper did basically ignore his own fixed election law to call this election.

As far as broken promises go, you couldn't find a party that hasn't done it. Harper has managed quite a few though in his short time. A couple to think about.

The Conservatives will be appointing 4 candidates in ridings across the country after promising that no candidate would be appointed unless selected by the riding association

Vowing to reform the Senate to an elected one then appointing a Senator than giving him a cabinet post.

Running on an accountability platform than basically running the most closed and secret government this country has ever known.

The promise to dismantle the useless Long gun Registry. We still have it.

Breaking deals with NFLD, NS and Sask after stating publically several times that he wouldn't do this if elected. Several MP's were kicked from caucus for speaking out about this.

The promise, in writing I may add, to a widow of a WW2 vet that he would make sure that they( the widows) would be finally looked after when he was elected. Never happened and it had all party support.

The Agent Orange compensation package was to be for anyone affected by spraying over a 25 year or so period. The package only covers 1 week in '66 and 1 week in '67.

No or few new child care spaces created when he ran on a promise to create over a 100,000 throughout his mandate.

How about the income trust deal. That dies the second they took office.

As for not being able to do anything because of a minority, that's BS. He has been running the country like a Majority Gov. for quite a while now. As soon as he realized that Dion is spineless, he just pushed everything through knowing that the Liberals weren't going to show up to vote, as irt would have caused no confidence votes to go through.

I'm not saying that he hasn't done any good for the country but he isn't the saviour that the Conservatives make him out to be.

For the record, I am neither a Liberal, a Conservative, a NDP or any other major party in this country. I have voted for candidates from all parties in the past. The only good thing I see coming out of this election is that we get a chance to get rid of a few of these clowns. Who goes remains to be seen.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by GAOTU789]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join