It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British soldier refused access to hotel cause hes a soldier.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

British soldier refused access to hotel cause hes a soldier.

news.bbc.co.uk

A soldier home on leave after being injured in Afghanistan was refused a room by a hotel when he showed his military ID card at reception.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded colleague in Surrey when he was turned away from the Metro Hotel in Woking.

He spent the night in his car after being told it was management policy not to accept military personnel.

The hotel has apologised, describing the incident as "a mistake".

Cpl Stringer, of 13 Air Assault Support Regiment, The Royal Logistic Corps, has since returned to Afghanistan but his mother, Gaynor Stringer, said he remains angry at the incident.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It pisses me off that something like this happens. Soldiers who served their country are being disrespectful by the people at home who depend on them to protect them when they do not volunteer to do what they do.

Or is it possible that soldiers have the tendency to destroy property than non-combatants do at hotels?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Something similar to this happened in my home city of Peterborough. I believe that they were advised not to wear their uniforms in public due to fear of recrimination. Quite awful really, the hatred shown toward them, they don't have a choice in where they are posted, and furthermore in some economically deprived communities the army is the only path out of there without a univeristy education.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I am not all that surprised really. It seems to be the "cool" thing to do lately. It is fine to be against the reasons that these guys are over there fighting, it is complete BS to treat these men like trash though. These people are the ones that would be the first in line to beg for protection if something happened and they need the military.

In North America we take it a bit for granted since, in recent history, there has never been a serious threat to the invasion of our borders. Britain on the other hand, has faced that threat.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is another one in a list that is growing as I believe it has happened here in the states as well. It is appalling that they are being treated this way.It is blatant discrimination and that Hotel should be levied a heavy fine for it. You know what....I bet they would have no problem giving a room to the scum bag politicians that sent these guys to fight.Makes me angry.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It's things like this that make me think really it is Vietnam all over again. Only garbage would treat soldiers badly then, and it is the same culprits today. You don't like the war, write your representative.

If I saw a soldier being treated badly I would absolutely not hesitate to provoke the prig doing it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Despite my opposition to the current "conflicts" we are engaged in, this is bang out of order IMO.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of what our governments are doing, the people serving in uniform deserve a LOT more respect than this.

Since we invaded Iraq, the press has been awash with stories like this, and I'd just like to say one thing:

If you don't like it, use your vote, get the government that sent the troops there out of office, and stop taking it out on the guys on the ground - they may not be perfect, but they're a damn site braver than some jobsworth with a bee up his ass.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Delta, soldiers do not fight for their country they fight for the Military Industrial complex. Soldiers today especially in the West are nothing more than hired mercenaries who murder and maim for Corporate Greed.

That said he is still a human being and should have been treated as such.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't really give a hoot about playing the devils advocate and i do in fact wonder why we should not be allowed to show our disgust when servicemen refuse to employ the laws ( that we enacted) that could protect them from having to participate in illegal wars and thus war crimes?

Why shouldn't we share our very legitimate concerns that these servicemen are in fact creating the very real 'anger' and 'hatred' that they were supposedly sent to Iraq to prevent?

Personally i am too damn civil to do something like that but maybe we should start encouraging these servicemen to start serving us ( British citizens were dead set against the war) instead of themselves by doing what their told instead of what we told them to?

Stellar

PS: Didn't see MM's post above so basically i could have just agreed with him.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by StellarX]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
I don't really give a hoot about playing the devils advocate and i do in fact wonder why we should not be allowed to show our disgust when servicemen refuse to employ the laws ( that we enacted) that could protect them from having to participate in illegal wars and thus war crimes?

Well, knock yourself out. Next time you see a soldier, just spit on him, or maybe take a swing at him. Show that man your disgust for him, his friends and his uniform.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Why shouldn't we share our very legitimate concerns that these servicemen are in fact creating the very real 'anger' and 'hatred' that they were supposedly sent to Iraq to prevent?

"Sharing your concern" by treating them like trash. That's a great idea, too.

Let me guess: Never been in the military, right?

Thought so.

Once again, you are a no-go at this station. Have a fine AFSOC day.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Does the hotel have the right to do this? If so, why is this in the news, yes it's bad, and it's really out of order, but so is many other things happen everyday that never make it into the news.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Jerico, perhaps you could spare some of your rage for the millions that have died in the two illegal wars in the ME over the last 5 years. Innocent men women and children that never hurt anyone not the US or the UK.

Dont ask for respect for the tools of the coporate masters who carry out their deads under the false flag of fighting for freedom and democracy, no fighting and murdering for corporate greed and power.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Jerico, perhaps you could spare some of your rage for the millions that have died in the two illegal wars in the ME over the last 5 years. Innocent men women and children that never hurt anyone not the US or the UK.

Dont ask for respect for the tools of the coporate masters who carry out their deads under the false flag of fighting for freedom and democracy, no fighting and murdering for corporate greed and power.

I have no rage. Except when I'm killing the enemy.

This isn't about the ME, or "illegal wars" or whatever is the catch-phrase of the day for the liberal left. It's about a soldier that was treated badly by his own countrymen. Like his mom said, if it were a black, oriental, or Allah forbid a Muslim, everyone would be up in arms. Since it was some grunt, it's suddenly OK, even trendy.

Put yourself in his shoes. What would you do if you were turned down a room because of your uniform, or because they didn't like your job?

So, step off the soapbox of morality. Be careful, you might trip.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

There was a post made by another member on the thread Hoodies, hats banned from shops regarding the banning of certain people from shopping malls based on their mode of apparel that could apply just the same in this instance..

Originally posted by feydrautha
the mall is private property, they can set the dress standards if they wish, who are you to tell what individuals can choose about who they allow on their own property?

The hotel in question is a privately run business and had the right to refuse admission to whomever they choose as long they don't break the anti-discrimination laws

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The law pertaining to Hotels, Inns and Hostels (UK) is based on common or ancient law, in that an owner or proprietor has a duty in law to offer such refreshment or lodgings to a person as are requested, as long as the person is in a fit state to be presented, and who has the ability to pay.

Failure to provide a Hotel room for a person who is fit to be presented and who has shown he has the ability to pay can result in liablility.

In other words, they broke the law and can be sued, should the soldier choose to do so, as long as he had shown that he had the means to pay.

"In a fit state to be presented" is a different matter. However, as long as the soldier wasn't drunk then I can't see a problem.

Caes closed, sue the gits.

[edit on 4/9/2008 by budski]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Edit : Added bold text

Originally posted by jerico65
Well, knock yourself out. Next time you see a soldier, just spit on him, or maybe take a swing at him. Show that man your disgust for him, his friends and his uniform.

Let me know how that works out for you.

That wouldn't be civil and whatever my convictions spitting on people is not something i do.

"Sharing your concern" by treating them like trash. That's a great idea, too.

You are not treating someone like trash when you politely refuse to serve them or have anything to do with them.

Let me guess: Never been in the military, right?

Thought so.

Once again, you are a no-go at this station. Have a fine AFSOC day.

I can see how you may believe that that is a relevant to the discussion but since there are plenty of men who do or have served who holds the same opinion about the issue of committing war crimes by serving the oppressive machinery of state you would be well advised not to dismiss it so quickly.

There are legitimate ways to defend one's country and they never include shooting civilians ( 'terrorist') in the streets of other countries.

Stellar

[edit on 5-9-2008 by StellarX]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Thanks, dude. I wasn't sure what the law would be about that in England. I did figure they could turn him down if he showed up drunk, peed in the potted palms and threw up on the clerk.

"Case closed. Sue the gits!"

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
why not do the smart thing and Ban the MPs and their relitives
they are the freaks that send these people to war in the first place.

im against the war
but treating someone like that because of their job
is pathetic

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

[That wouldn't be civil and whatever my convictions spitting on people is not something i do.

And you know what would happen if you spit on a soldier, too.

You are not treating someone like trash when you politely refuse to serve them or have anything to do with them.

Nope, but as Budski just posted, you're breaking the law. As I said, people would be up in freakin' arms if this hotel turned down a Muslim.

I can see how you may believe that that is a relevant to the discussion but since there are plenty of men who do or have served who holds the same opinion about the issue of committing war crimes by serving the oppressive machinery of state.

Yes, it is relevant. You don't have the same frame of reference as a soldier does. You don't see how wrong this is.

There are legitimate ways to defend one's country and they never include shooting civilians ( 'terrorist') in the streets of other countries.

This thread is about a soldier being denied a room at a hotel because he is a soldier. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads where you can call this soldier a war criminal.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Reply to 'budski'. if that's the case about being able to pay and in a sober state, where can I find a link to the law bit you quoted? I'd like it for future reference ! also send the link to the BBC and a tabloid newspaper which can play it for all it's worth. Very good point you raised.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join