It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster in Rachel, NV

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Rachel Prison Plans

There is a 2,000 inmate prison planned to be built in Rachel, NV.

Rachel is the small 65 person town about 15 miles away from Groom Lake Road and only a mile or two away from the Area 51 guard gate.

(Solicitation removed)

A prison full of rapists, child molesters and murderers is something that will essentially kill most tourism Rachel receives.

from the site...

With a 2000 bed prison, all that will be gone! The Rachel valley will change forever! Forget about the quiet, friendly place Rachel is today. Forget about sky-watching at night. Forget about camping in the area and feeling safe at night. Visitors of the prisoners will crowd the roads, floodlights will illuminate the entire valley and the desert environment will be destroyed

Mod edit: Solicitation removed. Please see section 1e of the terms & conditions. -- Majic

[edit on 8/31/2008 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I ask the mods to please make this a sticky until the events finalize.. either for or against the prison. Bumping is not etiquette, so to get around that, can we make it a sticky for the time being?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There is a huge shortage of prisons in the US from what I have read and heard, so they have to build more. No matter where they build them, there will be people opposed to it, so the chances of them not doing it is pretty slim.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

There is about 2 hours in any direction they can put that prison where it wont affect a town.( cept for Alamo) Why ruin such a historical little town.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
If its in / around Rachel - why not just house the prisoners in Area 51 ... most secret / guarded place and they can save the money needed to build the prison ... and the inmates can help sweep up after the alien poo around the base.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mtmouse32

Id rather they did that, then the proposal. hopefully we can still fight to shoot this down.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mtmouse32

Thats pretty damn funny

Yeah, I hear ya OP that will screw up the night sky to the max.

Good luck getting the thing built elsewhere.

Thinking about it ...I bet the powers that be wanted this done so as to upset looky loos.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Whenever you have one branch of the government creating it's own supply and demand, you are going to have huge humanity issues.

The department of Justice builds more and more prisons, then creates and approves new laws to fill these same prisons. Does anybody else see the madness in this situation?

DOJ/Law Enforcement has become an industry which creates it's own supply and demand using it's own citizens as the currency on which it operates!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Well im gonna try and help not let this happen to rachel. i love that town. its the only place i camp at.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

Worse yet, this is a private prison. You may recall GHW Bush put the drug laws on steroids (so to speak) and invested in CCA.

cca

In a normal country, this project would be easy to stop. However, we're talking Lincoln County.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

gariac, will you be attending sept 6th's meeting? not sure if you were from the area or vegas or not.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This is sad considering the many miles of remote area out there they could build this prison. Why so close to Rachel? Has to be some kind of plan to ruin the small town. I see no other reason why they would bring it so close to the one place Area 51 visitors stop to eat.

I emailed and gave my opinion on the issue. I hope everyone on ATS does the same...

email: [email protected]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Anxiously awaiting the moment someone cites a source showing an increase in crime in a town with a prison. Quivering with anticipation of reading the horror stories of rape and murder in those notorious crime capitols; Folsom, San Quentin, Brazos TX. Primed to sign the petitions along with the citizens of Leavenworth and Ossining, demanding the closing of their century+ old prisons

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Researcher

Sir, it doesn't matter if only one crime in human history has happened because of a prison in a town. Its about the presence of one. That's enough to ruin tourism there. They rely 100% on campers and area 51 tourists. The a le inn is a motel/rv /campground. The prison, being 4 miles away from that, will drastically kill tourism. Some guy already bought the towns gas station and shut it down, now this.....

Besides, theres miles of empty space away from this small quaint town... why only 4 miles away?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Sir, it doesn't matter if only one crime in human history has happened because of a prison in a town. Its about the presence of one. That's enough to ruin tourism there. They rely 100% on campers and area 51 tourists. The a le inn is a motel/rv /campground. The prison, being 4 miles away from that, will drastically kill tourism. Some guy already bought the towns gas station and shut it down, now this.....

Besides, theres miles of empty space away from this small quaint town... why only 4 miles away?

From what I understand, this is why:
lincolnestates.com...

This guy (James Toreson) bought a big parcel of land, with plans to develop. Including a solar energy farm. Sounds like it didn't pan out, now he is trying to dump it.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

Heard about him, is he the same guy who bought , and then shut down the only gas station in rachel?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

Glenn Campbell's blog has some good analysis on this project:
Glenn Campbell's blog

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You are comparing secure government run prisons to these flimsy private "for profit" prisons. Apples and oranges.

You are considerably safer living next to San Quentin than your average halfway house.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
hmmmm

How ironic.

Prison's Closing Economic Bust for Town

realcostofprisons.org...

It has been just a month since the prison emptied out, but its loss has taken a toll on new business ventures in Lake County. Without an anchor in the area, a number of projects and renovations have been put on hold, including a new hotel and a manufactured housing community,

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Teddy Kennedy and the rest of the klan will be very proud of you for your NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) actions!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join