It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Shadows on Mars!!! What Are They??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BloodRedSky
or maybe the moon Phobos?

Moon Phobos???
Nice one

Yup looks like the shadow of the moon alright

MSSS Image # M11-00072 - First Spotted by Undo
www.msss.com...

PS Please DO try to limit those one liners

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopSecretArea
Now this was somehow mind blowing..!

Good and interesting find, really don't have any idea or even the smalles clue of what this might be.

Geysers of Black Sand from under levitating sheets of CO2 ice. As the sun heats the black sand beneath the ice, it sublimates from the bottom up... This gas pressure lifts (levitates) the ice flow. As holes appear in the ice the gas escapes and makes 200 foot high geysers of sand

Now THAT is something you WON'T see on Earth

MSSS Image # M11-00071
www.msss.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Told you I have hundreds of them

MSSS Image # E08-01604
www.msss.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing, Ron:

the images in the OP look to be slope streaks to me, but it's hard to say without looking at the whole contest:

hirise-pds.lpl.arizona.edu...

if this is the case, then if i'm correct they are said to be formed, basically, by small scale dry avalanches, but i've read also about other hypotheses, like geochemical weathering.

Another image that comes in mind is this one:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

this is believed to be the possible result of the transit of a dust devil, because of the absence of any all around hill and because the dust devil track (visible in the MOC image does intersect with the apex of the streak.
But in my opinion, there's not an unique explanation for all these shadow-looking strikes, as proven by the images that you posted after your OP.
And i guess that also NASA scientists have'n found everything about them.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Some interesting spray patterns...

MSSS Image # S18 02576
www.msss.com...

Now they are not hot linked... you will have to look them up yourself

Maybe you will find some interesting ones in the process and share the work load

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Geysers near Gusev Crater

ESA Mars Express chimes in...

Don't seem to have the link for this one right now...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Spring Arrives With a Bang

Sand-laden jets shoot into the polar sky in this view by noted space artist Ron Miller. It shows the Martian south polar icecap as southern spring begins.

Sunday, 20 August 2006
BBC News

Excerpt:

Geysers spewing sand and dust hundreds of feet into the "air" have been discovered on Mars, scientists say. Images from a camera orbiting Mars have shown the 100 mph jets of carbon dioxide erupt through ice at the planet's south pole, Arizona State University says.

The orbiting camera, called the Thermal Emission Imaging System (Themis), is on the Mars Odyssey probe.The geyser debris leaves dark spots, fan-like markings and spider-shaped features on the ice cap.

The scientists said geysers erupted when sunlight warming the ice turned frozen carbon dioxide underground into high-pressure gas.

"If you were there, you'd be standing on a slab of carbon dioxide ice," said the university's Dr Phil Christensen."All around you, roaring jets of CO2 gas are throwing sand and dust a couple of hundred feet into the air."

Dr Christensen said the process was "unlike anything that occurs on Earth".

His team discovered the jets through examining more than 200 Themis visible and infrared images. The findings were published in the latest edition of the journal Nature.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Martian Pole Freckled with Geysers

Monday 21st August 2006
Unlike anything on Earth By Lucy Sherriff

Excerpt:

Every spring, the southern polar cap on Mars almost fizzes with carbon dioxide, as the surface is broken by hundreds of geysers throwing sand and dust hundreds of feet into the Martian "air".

The discovery was announced in the journal Nature by researchers at the Arizona State University, based on data from the Thermal Emission Imaging System on the Mars Odyssey orbiter.

Images sent back by the probe showed that as the sun began to warm the pole, the polar cap began to break out in dark spots. Over the days and weeks that followed, these spots formed fan-like markings, and spidery patterns. As the sun rose higher in the Martian sky, the spots and fans became more numerous.

"Originally, scientists thought the spots were patches of warm, bare ground exposed as the ice disappeared," said lead scientist Phil Christensen. "But observations made with THEMIS on NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter told us the spots were nearly as cold as the carbon dioxide ice, which is at minus 198 degrees Fahrenheit."

www.theregister.co.uk...

The team concluded that the dark spots were in fact geysers, and the fans that appeared were caused by the debris from the eruptions.

Artist's impression of how the Martian geysers may look. Pic: Arizona State University/Ron Miller

Christensen said: "If you were there, you'd be standing on a slab of carbon-dioxide ice. Looking down, you would see dark ground below the three foot thick ice layer.

"The ice slab you're standing on is levitated above the ground by the pressure of gas at the base of the ice."

He explains that as the sunlight hits the region in the spring, it warms the dark ground enough that the ice touching the ground is vaporised. The gas builds up under the ice until it is highly pressurised and finally breaks through the surface layer.

As the gas escapes, it carries the smaller, finer particles of the soil along with it, forming grooves under the ice. This "spider" effect indicates a spot where a geyser is established, and will form again the following year.

www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
I too am clueless. Though the second one reminded me of a polar pic of one of the planets...wish I could retrieve which one.

Most likely IO but the plumes on IO are plasma
. That will be another topic ;P

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Thanks for sharing, Ron:

the images in the OP look to be slope streaks to me, but it's hard to say without looking at the whole contest:

Not bad... they look pretty close... I figure there was enough of a tease to catch the "only read first pagers"

Dust Devils huh? Hmmmm Forgot about those

Ermmm I smaell a thread

Sorry I missed your post in the middle of mt spam

Most dust devil passes I have found look more like THIS

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The living moon is not an official source for images. where is the nasa photos that these images came from?

I would like to see an original source photo and see the whole picture, not just the cropped image.

Many things can be perceived incorrectly when you change the perspective and see it as part of a bigger picture.

Lets see the big picture.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by NephraTari]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I just hope it's not oil, or mars might get some USA brand freedomization soon.

Bring freedom to the red commie planet! It's the god of war, it has to have WMD's!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You know you COULD be right Internos
So we have two sources of weird black marks with a possible third for ones that don't fit these patterns

In any case

PROOF POSITIVE

Always wanted to say that

MGS Captures Dust Devil

Dust devil in process of making the lines... the squiggly ones anyway

Amazing Rover Cleaners of Mars!!!

[edit on 30-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NephraTari
I would like to see an original source photo and see the whole picture, not just the cropped image.

The image numbers from Malin (MSSS) are below the images
The link to Malin is below the image numbers
The data is all on the Livingmoon

Get over it and do some legwork

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Again,

NASA = BS

Every picture released from NASA (BS) should be scrutinized under these reasons:

1: Is it a real picture?

2: If they show us this picture (real or fake), what are they suggesting.

Sorry folks, NASA is run by the illuminati (like everything else). NASA are behind mind control, and reverse alien technology specifically designed for the manipulation, and control of everyone on this planet.

Please see the bigger picture, NASA lie to control you.

Z

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by BloodRedSky
or maybe the moon Phobos?

Moon Phobos???
Nice one

Yup looks like the shadow of the moon alright

MSSS Image # M11-00072 - First Spotted by Undo
www.msss.com...

PS Please DO try to limit those one liners

I have a theory about the image that i quote here (which caught my attention for first):
IMHO, this is the result of an avalanche which splitted when crossed the small formation (see the animation below
):

While this one,

in my opinion is showing two different streaks caused by avalanches occurred in different times: here, i've numbered some of them from 1 to 3: 1 indicates the older ones, 3 indicates the more recent ones:

the difference of their colors is given by the tickness of the layer of dust: the older is the streak, the ticker is the layer of dust, the lighter is the color of the streak.

[edit on 30/8/2008 by internos]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Kewl So we have Geyser Spray, Dust Avalanches, and Dust Devil Trails

At least they are not ROCKS
And the white stuff is either CO2 ice or mixed with water ice since these Geysers and Streaks are seasonal with the polar thawing.. so every year we will see new patterns.

Glad to see you back... Poor ArMaP was doing all the work

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by NephraTari

Get over it and do some legwork

I was not in the least bit rude. Must you always be a pompous arrogant @#@#?

I asked for the source image. Why is that unreasonable?

I don't visit places like living moon. You provided the thread and the topic so supply the valid source of these pictures that you want us to discuss.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

If you had read my post correctly you may have seen my reasoning.

"...it could be the moon Phobos passing during the winter solstice. And the shadows could just appear distorted due to Mars' surface or a reflection of something on it. And the length, again could be due to winter solstice."

Anyway, what is the original source of these photos, Zorgon?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join