It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigerian Diplomat: Jail E-Mail Fraud Victims for Greed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Nigerian Diplomat: Jail E-Mail Fraud Victims for Greed

www.dailytech.com

Professor Olu Agbi, the Nigerian high commissioner stationed in Australia, says the perpetrators behind his country’s e-mail based financial scams aren’t the only one who should be punished -- the victims, blinded by their greed and excitement, should be thrown in jail as well.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure they should be jailed for their greed, but they should be jailed for stupidity instead. Stop them breeding I say!

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Lol...... This guy is part of the problem , While i agree the idiots that fall for these scams should not breed... Throwing them in prison for being ripped off is like throwing a rape victim in prison along with the rapist.

Yea the people who fall for these scams are stupid and greedy.. But last time i checked being stupid and greedy isn't against the law.. Fraud / Ripping people off is though.

The Nigerian government says they are cracking down on 419scammers but in reality they are not. The government is one of the main problems.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I just returned yesterday from a business trip to Johannesburg where I met with our senior site exec for Africa. He is well versed in doing business all over the continent but was especially scathing about Nigeria and the level of corruption at all levels there, both in the private and public sectors. Kickbacks rule the day!

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Here is the report that drew the diplomatic response. I just love the part where at least 80% of all money from Australia to Nigeria was from fraud.

I wonder if we manage to scam them back the other way?

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
its a criminal sticking up for his criminal buddies

email scams maybe the worst kind of scam in terms of appealing to the gullibility of people

but then you insert the elderly who don't' know of the things people like you and i do - and they're the ones getting exploited.

I really wish there was some international force that could move into places like Nigeria and Cameroon, where the government is too corrupt and cowardly to do anything about the rampant crime in their own jurisdiction and just judge them all.

Idiots like this "diplomat" are why i lean more and more, every day, towards a militaristic type society.

If only a better option was available.
Personally - i'd rather live on pin cushions than allow idiots like this "diplomat" and his criminal buddies to breath fresh air. Lock them up and throw away the key along with all the other criminals...whatever it takes

but thats just my 2 pennies.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
When I get these emails I write back, I tell them that they have just connected themselves to Satan, and that from this day forward their lives will be misery. You would not believe how many of them write back begging that I lift the 'curse'. I figure if one of them quits because of this it is worth pretending that I am some kind of devil worshipper.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
A lot of the email scams talk as if it is some white collar crime that the money has come from, in that instance, I think the person defrauded should also be jailed, as they have been willing to take part in something they were told was illegal.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

Most of the scam emails I've seen involve money-laundering which is highly illegal. Of course, the gullible person will fall victim to the lie, but so do criminals who fall to undercover police operations (fake drug dealing setup, prostitution, etc.)

They knowingly intended to commit the crime, even if there was never any money in it for them.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
When did Africa get the Internet????

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I own a small business and the e-mail scams I recieve have nothing in them to indicate they are illegal. Generally they wish to purchase something and want me to foot the bill for shipping. (This bill is huge given what I sell) I am to make arrangements with their shipper and pre-pay for the shipping and they will reimburse me. Where is there anything in this that indicates I have knowingly conspired to commit fraud or an illegal act?

Supposedly we now have a Criminal World Court. Perhaps a lawsuit by the victims against the entire Nigerian Nation is in order. After all if you get hurt the lawyers go after everyone making the product not just the manufacturer involved.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
When I get these emails I write back, I tell them that they have just connected themselves to Satan, and that from this day forward their lives will be misery. You would not believe how many of them write back begging that I lift the 'curse'. I figure if one of them quits because of this it is worth pretending that I am some kind of devil worshiper.

HAHA! I think I'm going to start doing that. I've replied with so many things that I've forgotten most of them.

There's actually a website dedicated to scamming the scammer back. I'll have to find the link. You have to join the site to see any projects in progress, because they don't want the scammers potentially wandering on the site and realizing that they're being scammed.

But you can browse the site as a guest and read the 'completed' scams against scammers, and some of them are just genius.

I'll try to be back later with a link if I can find it. It's buried somewhere in all my bookmarks.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Actually, I think that the US should conduct a class action lawsuit against Nigeria for these scams. I say that every person that has gotten an email from these schemers is entitled to just payment as promised

Yes it would instantly bankrupt Nigeria forever. But heck. I am sick of that scam in my email inbox every day. I get ton's of em.

A class action lawsuit by everyone across the globe that has received this kind of email would do much in the way of stoping this scam once and for all.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
You guys will love this website:

They actually fight back, and scam the scammers, and actually GET MONEY or other things.

419Scam

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
You guys will love this website:

They actually fight back, and scam the scammers, and actually GET MONEY or other things.

419Scam

Ah thank you! That was the link I was looking for.

Actually I found it, but got caught up reading some of the scam baiting. If any of you get a chance, read the one where the person posed as a nun to the scammer, some sentences in it are just too great.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wolfmanjackThrowing them in prison for being ripped off is like throwing a rape victim in prison along with the rapist.

A bit harsh but I think I know what you are trying to say.

However, maybe you could revise your use of the rape analogy. Your implication is that those who get raped somehow deserve it or were asking for it.

[edit on 25/8/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

heres a few more:
home.rica.net...

and some kool ways to screw with them:

www.419baiter.com...

www.scamorama.com...

www.cracked.com...

Zindo

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Andrew already brought up the sad fact in this. It is the elderly that usually fall victim to these scams and I really don't think it is appropriate to call them greedy or even gullible, though maybe unsaavy of the modern world would be more accurate.

Personally, I love reading the ones I get. My login here is my email, so it's always a hoot to get this:
Dear Burdman30ott6,

I represented your late relative, Stanley Burdman30ott6, who sadly died with his entire family in a tragic car crash last year. After much searching for you, I have finally found you and am tasked with turning over the entire Burdman30ott6 estate to you, Staley Burdman30ott6's only surviving heir....

Then it goes on to explain that there's a 100 million pound estate value that they require a $1,000 deposit on along with bank account information to complete the transfer. Oh yes, and it is imperitive that I only communicate with this person, keeping even my own legal counsel & financial advisors out of the transaction lest a delay occurs.

This stuff is better than any modern day stand up routine, I'll tell ya.

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
We had a local clergyman loose the entire churches budget on one of these scams. I think it was like over $100,000. He's trying to make restitution for what the shortage was from the insurance the smart folks in the church bought for just such a problem. They got like 80% back but the rest is his responsibility! Nice guy, just not to worldly in knowledge!!
Zindo

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Oh sure... when GWB wants to fire cruise missles for one of HIS wars it's OK. But when we want to cruise missle a half-dozen Nigerian internet cafes will our government do it? Nah. It just ain't fair.

top topics

join