It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Protest Begins - It's Not Pretty - Post Observations Here

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm watching the goings on in Denver and just witnessed what is in store for us for the week.

The "Recreate 68" crowd is marching and it is not pretty. I just watched a reporter who was trying to ask them what they were protesting. They started shoving the reporter around, screaming profanities and middle fingers were going up everywhere and this is just getting started.

The crowd is almost entirely very young adults that look to be college age or so. They are going out of their way to appear violent and threatening.

What I just saw as it started was a real embarrassment. Already getting physical, screaming profanity and refusing to even say what they are protesting. In other words making absolute fools of themselves and guaranteeing nobody will listen too or be interested in their causes.

What purpose does refusing to say what their cause is serve? How is screaming the "F" word and lifting their middle finger helpful to their cause. Of course the answer is it is not. What are they thinking shoving a reporter around? It has already made them look like a bunch of thugs and Neanderthals.

I wonder how bad this will get and if any meaningful protest is even going to take place?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Massive Protests Planned

Summary:
The 2008 DNC in Denver is being promoted by activists as “Recreate ’68,” referring to the 1968 DNC in Chicago, where Abbie Hoffman and the Yippies nominated Pigasus the pig as their presidential nominee, and riot police got a good fill of hippie-head-cracking. A diverse national collective is now organizing to bring large-scale uprising to Denver in 2008. As their website states:

Join us in the streets of Denver as we resist a two-party system that allows imperialism and racism to continue unrestrained. We will demand change by making the Democratic Convention of 1968 look like a small get together in 2008!

Additional information can be found by visiting the group’s virtual community convergence center at www.recreate68.org.

Link to "Recreate68.org"

Some were putting on masks as they got underway. Interesting that the result of them shoving the Fox News reporter around is that they moved on to other stories and they lost their opportunity to get any message out. Geniuses

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Never saw it, but who didn't expect it?

Honestly you only need a few people to yell and scream to make an entire group do so and join in. I could probably hire 5 people to do that, and affect the entire group. What are the peaceful protesters going to do? Fight with their own people? Doubtful.

On the other hand, peaceful protests never accomplish anything these days. People protest logging of a forest, they just log another 2 forests people aren't protecting. People protest the war, we continue to rack up the debt in trillions and next is Iran, Russia, or both. A lot more examples could be told in the same exact fashion.

Plus it was Fox News, who wouldn't want to shove them around a little?

[edit on 24-8-2008 by ragnarak]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It appears that some of the most notorious laughing stocks in the country will be there. These names will fit right in with what I just saw.

quote from recreate68.org

2. Cindy Sheehan Joins Us in Denver
The Re-create 68 Alliance also announced that anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan and Green Party Presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney and Green Party Vice Presidential candidate Rosa Clemente will be joining their historic line-up of speakers who include Ida Audeh, Kathleen Cleaver, Ward Churchill, Mark Cohen, Chairman Fred Hampton Jr., Larry Hales, Larry Holmes, Ron Kovic, Glenn Spagnuolo, Pamela Africa, King Downing, Jenny Esquiveo, Mumia Abu Jamal - Current Political Prisoner (Recorded from Death Row for the DNC), Gloria Estela La Riva, Ricardo Romero, Natsu Saito, Ann Erika White Bird, and others.

This should get interesting if the crowd who wanted to carry buckets of feces ignores the authorities and brings them along. If they do you know some - well you know - is going to fly.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
The recreate 68 crowd are a bunch of idiots. In 68 they tried to levitate the Pentagon to shake out the evil spirits. In Denver they're going to try and levitate the mint to shake out the money. In 68 they had roving bands of arsonists. In Denver they have roving bands of clowns.

It's sickening.

Anyone who shows up at a protest in a clown suit should have their attitude adjusted with rubber bullets. Lots of them.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ragnarak

There was only a couple of minutes because it got out of hand immediately. To me it does not matter where the reporter was from, getting physical with the press or anyone is wrong. Using violence to protest war is wrong. Screaming profanity and acting like thugs is a sign the protesters are nothing more than a bunch of out of control kids or adults with a child's mind.

I'm completely supportive of the protest, but this is just nonsense by a bunch of attention seeking jerks. Wait till Sheehan gets there and puts her 12 year old mind in gear

[edit on 8/24/2008 by Blaine91555]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Liberals protesting against liberals....it's going to be a great week.

It's going to get bad folks! In an election year where Democrats should be heavily favored...they are not, and the reason these whackos are protesting is because they feel their party is not liberal enough. The best they get to represent them is little Barry Obama? They see the writing on the wall and they are very upset.

The protests will overshadow the convention! The silent majority will be watching....they won't like what they will see.

Can you say....McCain in a landslide?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

You are responding on a thread by someone who protested in the early 70's. In 68 I was too young but showed my feeling in my art and by wearing long hair, putting peace signs everywhere and other things. I never bought into the violence though, nor did I run when I got a low number for the last wave of the draft. I was not drafted due to my being a sole surviving son and my Father being dead, but while I did not know, I did not run.

Later in day I'm sure we will see a lot more about these folks.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Liberals protesting against liberals....it's going to be a great week.

Ain't that so

I just pray nobody gets hurt. The show should be great though.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
with the new " prison " in denver, i think the protestors are TRYING to make a point, showing they can protest if they want to, just like a rebellious teen.

horrible approach they are taking, just makes them look really foolish.

they did have an opportunity to let everyone know why they were protesting, in a civil manner, and they blew it bigtime.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I wonder if obama and biden will get a full tour of the denver airport underground facility with a milk and cookie party at the end

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Link to their schedule.

Right now is the "End the Occupation March". I'm not finding any more coverage so their attitude may have backfired. If they abuse others why should they give them air-time? Right now they are just demonstrating for their own entertainment. No upside in that.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fastwalker23

I don't know if the tunnels exist, but that art is sure odd. It makes me wonder what thoughts were going through the planners heads? Not a pleasing environment for travelers at all.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Article on Protests (Foxnews)

About 1,000 anti-war protesters marched toward the site of the Democratic National Convention Sunday in Denver, in the first of at least five such rallies planned this week by the group Recreate 68.

Only 1,000 showed it appears. I'm having trouble finding coverage so it does not look good for the protesters being heard. Not much interest in them at all it appears.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It turns out it was the Anarchists and Maoists who were acting up. They even want to end the occupation of Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Cindy Sheehan spoke earlier but nobody covered it. So much for her 15 minutes.

All in all nearly no coverage on the day they should have got the most. When the Convention is going they will get even less coverage.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
It turns out it was the Anarchists and Maoists who were acting up. They even want to end the occupation of Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Cindy Sheehan spoke earlier but nobody covered it. So much for her 15 minutes.

All in all nearly no coverage on the day they should have got the most. When the Convention is going they will get even less coverage.

How shocking. The Puerto Rican nationalists are my favorite ... they are always creaming about how we are an occupying colonial power and how Puerto Ricans want independence but yet 98% of the population voted for either statehood or remaining a territory with only 2% for independence in the last referendum in 1998.

Ditto for the Hawaiians, the independence movement is a fringe group of loonies and wackos. They lost almost all of their support when their "constitution" refused equal rights to people of non Hawaiian descent.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am definitely staying as far away as possible from downtown Denver this whole week. Glad I live and work north of Denver.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
During the 1984 Republican convention in Dallas there were a lot of people that showed up to protest. They were about as weird looking bunch as I've ever seen, looking more like punk rockers than hippies. There was one that was sitting smoking a joint on the steps of city hall telling people that he was going to burn a flag. In a short time a bunch of these characters appeared on the scene, followed by a news crew. He said to one of the onlookers "Now watch this", and pulled out the flag and burned it. A number of people were arrested with out any head busting, the news crews left and it was over. At about four A.M. the morning after the convention ended, the streets around the city jail were filled with high dollar motor homes. The streets were filled with these characters that had been released from jail. They were loading on to these motor homes that already were loaded with more of the same sort of people. With all of this going on I noticed that there were no police present on the streets. I noticed when they were leaving that all of these vehicles had California license plates. Right then it dawned on me that these guys were actors straight from central casting. The flag burning incident, became the platform for George H.W. Bushes presidential campaign. Things involving politicians and protesters might not always be what they appear to be.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I spent a winter in Hawaii on Oahu and I never ran into any animosity toward the US. There was some bad blood with the Navy but that had little of nothing to do with being a State. It was more like gangs. My Sister had to put her kids into private school because of some killings in the school her son was in.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CO Vet

You should not have too much to worry about. It appears only a thousand people showed. Not the huge crowd they hoped for.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join