It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

Sorry computerwiz,
I did a 'search' for time travel/CERN, checked tags etc nothing came up relating to the Telegraph article. So 'bingo', I certainly thought it worth further discussion. I gave ya 'star'.
H

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

It could very be that, with the pool cue paradox, if there is ever any movement that would ever cause the wormhole-exiting pool cue to prevent itself from entering, that they would both simply disappear.

In other words, perhaps they both simply disappear if the ball would ever prevent itself from entering the wormhole in the future.. (Not necessarily whether or not it does so in the present while hitting the ball and, thus, preventing the time-traveling ball from ever existing.) In other words the simple probability that the ball will, in the future, hit itself and prevent it from entering altogether creates a whole other timeline in which the ball CAN'T exist.. Except still on the pool table as if it never even left.

PERHAPS it would even be impossible to hit the pool cue into the wormhole at all. Because if the ball inevitably disappears by entering the wormhole, exiting, and knocking itself off-coarse as it was entering the wormhole, then that simple inevitability will prevent the time-space continuum from being able to organise that information and know what to do with it..

Thereby it would prevent you from hitting the ball at all.. Or perhaps it WOULD let you hit the ball towards the wormhole, but at the exact point your pool stick hits the cue, the cue then disappears. It is not only the organisation of matter and energy that can feasibly create alternate timelines, but also the inevitability of human choices and decisions. If you choose not to hit the pool cue, nothing will happen.. But if you do, the inevitability that the ball would prevent itself from existing might make the information already be known before it even happens (something like non-locality)..

And that could possibly make the pool cue disappear at the exact instant you DECIDE to hit the ball with the pool stick.
Not necessarily make it disappear at any point after that (whether it be before, during, or after its travel through the wormhole and going back in time).

-ChriS

[edit on 23-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n
I also love how all these factors have something to do with 'Alice in Wonderland'. Could this book actually be the codex

Yes 'Alice' is the secret

I wonder if that 'Rabbit Hole' exists... and if so... Just how deep IS it?

Very deep my friend VERY deep... But you need to listen to the 'Rabbit" or the 'King's Men' will take you away

[edit on 23-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boom Slice
Time slows the faster you go,

Relative time...

Your watch on the ship with you will advance as it does now... you will still count a second as a second... but OUTSIDE your ship years are passing so to a person on ship looking 'out' they will see time sped up while to an observe outside you will not have aged

A gravity well on the other hand will slow time

[edit on 23-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Sooooo, Time travelers from the future will be here sometime in the future.

I guess if they traveled alittle farther the would already be here.

I think I get it..........

They are from my future, and after traveling back in time they are still in my future.
But if they had went further into the past, they would be in my present.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Actually... human beings from the future is kind of scary. Look at the way things are going today, with increased control and big brother-like design structures.

Anyone who would come back from that kind of future is sure to be screened "OK" to go back in time, which means they are pretty much deep into the government structure of the future.

Well, at least we know humans didnt blow themselfs up in the future if this turns out to be true. Not sure if thats good or bad though.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Well, at least we know humans didnt blow themselfs up in the future if this turns out to be true. Not sure if thats good or bad though.

You assume to much..

What makes you think they will be humans?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Copernicus

You assume to much..

You're right.

Interesting times.

Not that I really believe the scientists are right, or that we will ever hear about it if it turns out to be a reality.

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
If someone goes back into time and changes something, would that cause the time I'm in to change or create a new universe to accept the effects of that someone only for them but not effecting those that did not travel in time with them?

If its true and CERN in the future can send particles to the past, nothing will happen to your timeline unless your future self goes back in time to the past and creates a alternate universe for you. Then no ones else can alter your timeline but you

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I've often thought that too. But I was watching a PBS show on a man who thinks he's all but created a time machine. Now, he doesn't claim that he would be able to send himslef or others through this machine, but he can send photons and what not. He postulated that he would essentially be able to communicate with him self by using photons as a form of morse code. He's a bonafide physicist, not some loner guy in a basement.

Anyhoo, he was saying, which I'll admit I don't quite grasp, that once the machine is created it's only from that point on we will know if it really works. According to him, you would not be able to go back in time any further than when the machine was created. I'm sure that's the idea these scientist are working with also.

this is definitely an extremely interesting idea about CERN that I never thought about. Isn't it also being used to find the "god particle"?

[edit on 23-8-2008 by nunya13]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
:Could", "Might", "Maybe", the watchwords of those that prey on the gullible with this kind of crap.

I could look like Paul Newman, but I don't. I could swim like Michael Phelps, but I don't.

Weasel words, that let them off the hook when what they are predicting doesn't happen.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If time travel was really possible - we would already know it !!_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I guess my biggest question is why would anyone want to travel to the past?
Personal gain? Loot the planet and take over using advanced tech?
What would future cultures stand to gain from watching the world today? Closet racism or paranorma run rampant?
Just seem like a waste of time and energy to only travel to the past.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I wish that I could go back to the early 1980s and tell myself, "TAKE THAT OFFER, GET THE SEX CHANGE, BE A STRIPPER, AND GO TO MED SCHOOL!"

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

You assume to much..

lol. I just played a comedy in my head...

--"We've come back in time to see your race before it destroyed itself."
"wait... we destroyed ourselves?"
--"Oh yes, quite spectacularly"
"Well... can you tell us how to prevent it from happening?"
--"Oh no, can't do that. That would be interfering with lesser evolved races."
"aren't you interfering with us now?"
--"Nope, you've only got 20 minutes left, not nearly enough time to stop your destruction. Enjoy your last minutes... oh and by the way, that beer stuff? Incredible! We'll add that to our menu to commemorate your horrible horrible fate."
"Figures, first intelligent life we find are all total jerks."

[edit on 23-8-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

“Maybe” you are right,
You “Might” be wrong,
But “Could” you be more specific when referring to the gullible and those who prey upon them?

You call it ‘Weasel words’, but some scientists call it theorizing!
They theorize first, then put the theory into practice, sometimes it works exactly how they thought it would, other times, it is back to the drawing board.

H
Thanks for your contribution btw.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Havalon

Interesting..
Here Ori is an Isreali Physicist who has conceptualized travelling back into time via closed timelike curves..

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

I've often thought that too. But I was watching a PBS show on a man who thinks he's all but created a time machine. Now, he doesn't claim that he would be able to send himslef or others through this machine, but he can send photons and what not.

That is what "Project Looking Glass" is at Los Alamos National Labs
LINKY

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Personal gain?

Well I could see myself slipping back in time and leaving a note to self about a few things I missed out on
and drop a stock market tip or two

Wouldn't mess up the time lines too much... but you know the old cliche... "If I knew then what I know now...." I could fix all that with just one little trip

Heck even a morse code message... leave a file on the computer anything

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

to put wrong things that happend to the innocent ,right,not material gain,or interfearing with anyone else,even if it opened up thousands of different timelines,who would know?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join