It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travellers from the future 'could be here in weeks'.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Malankhkare

...this book (Ancient Traces) seems worth buying, city library does not have.

Also, interesting article about the potential 'shut down' of the LHC related to the OP:

As the LHC supposedly gears up, Harvard physicist Kevin Black, based at CERN, investigates rumors that the particle accelerator may, in fact, soon be shut down—by ripples from the future.

fqxi.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by anhinga
Also, interesting article about the potential 'shut down' of the LHC related to the OP:

Dang!! They are seriously looking at this... Great find I will spread this to the group. This is the first real news that its a 'concern'

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I think I heard on the news some bogus reason (thought I cant cofirm its validity either way at this point I guess) that it was because of a leak of hydrogen in gaseous form that it will be shut down for several months....anyone have any more accurate details of it to offer? sorry I would but I dont have enough time to really go around looking all that up for the thread right now...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Well if time travelers from the future arrive, we will easily figure out what particular breakthrough happened that started us down the road to time travel.

(Or we could ask the time travelers)

If they're smart they'll will bring a lottery almanack ...lol

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
this might be verging on off topic chatter but.....I was thinking, with all the serious money thrown at the super collider project and its rather untimely cancellation, is anyone else wondering if the project was cut from PUBLIC knowlege for specific reasons? maybe like...oh I dont know, so whatever a Private version of the super collider project gleans in research and development doesnt have to be shared with the rest of the world if it turns out to be something of massive influence over the world in some shape or form? To take it a step further, what if the LHC is on the same path and the people gearing up to construct a private version of this particular scientific endeavour need a legitimate reason to pull the plug on this before they can really get to work in their own model? The reason I ask is think about it, why would a project (like the super collider) that has had millions pumped into its construction,design,manpower,and materials be scrapped so abruptly unless the people behind it dont want to share what such a public project could glean especially if it stands to be as influential as some believe it to be.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
Well if time travelers from the future arrive, we will easily figure out what particular breakthrough happened that started us down the road to time travel.

(Or we could ask the time travelers)

If they're smart they'll will bring a lottery almanack ...lol

Ah but dont you think that a time traveler, even saying that he/she IS a time traveler would change things? Perhaps something like a butterfly effect thing? I mean linear time wouldnt normally operate in the assumption that things will go in such and such a way BECAUSE someone will go back in time to do this and that and this.....it seems to me that the more one would alter a time line by participating in it the less predictable to what it was before the tampering it would become.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Averysmallfoxx
[

Ah but dont you think that a time traveler, even saying that he/she IS a time traveler would change things? Perhaps something like a butterfly effect thing? I mean linear time wouldnt normally operate in the assumption that things will go in such and such a way BECAUSE someone will go back in time to do this and that and this.....it seems to me that the more one would alter a time line by participating in it the less predictable to what it was before the tampering it would become.

Oh I agree completely....

If the moment the invented time machine becomes operational, would that cause the world to immediately change?

If the moment the invented time machine became operational, would time travelers from future beyond your current time machine future show up.

What if you went back in time and killed one of your grandparents. Would you then cease to exist? (Or again could the second you decided to go back in time to kill one of your grandparents cause you to immediately cease to exist?)

Is the mere fact that you can exist before you we're born even possible?

Would those time travelers really want to do it considering their actions now may cause them to never have existed? ( or would existing in the year when the time travel machine existed prove that you did nothing to alter your chances of being in the time of the time machine?)

Would you be able to see yourself when you we're young?
(You would know that already as you would have memories of meeting a stranger whom said he was you. If you wanted to kill yourself you would not be able to as you would then not be alive to travel back in time )

Perhaps the Time machine only allows travel back to the point in time when the machine was invented as the ability to travel back in time did not exist before the machine became reality.

Could you make copies of yourself if you sent yourself back in time one hour then did it again in an hour?

The truth about time is quite simple:

THE LANGOLIERS !!!

[edit on 1-10-2008 by DisabledVet]

[edit on 1-10-2008 by DisabledVet]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
you know the author of the ridiculously famous book turned movie "fight club" also wrote another book dealing with time travel to an extent which though he is certainly not an expert in the field proved to be interesting in theory. the book is called RANT its by chuck palanhiuck (the name might be mispelled) but in the book he talks about people who go back in time to kill their parents so that they wouldnt have ties to this world and so in essence instead of ceasing to exist, would continue to exist but without aging, or dying, they would become gods essentially by severing themselves from the anchors that kept them tied to this world and its laws of nature. it really is a very fascinating work of fiction.sorry if that went a lil off topic but it was KINDA relevant.....*shifty eyes*

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
What about this...

Civz in the future can send messages thru channeling medium minds to any points in the history... Call that nostradamus...

Now in the 14th October LHC is started in secret
They open a portal so future civ no shows in the earth in a form of a great ship in the sky....

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Just ask this guy if time travel is real:

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisabledVet
What if you went back in time and killed one of your grandparents. Would you then cease to exist?

------

If you wanted to kill yourself you would not be able to as you would then not be alive to travel back in time )

These time travellers seem to be quite a blood-thirsty lot

Okay, Time is mutable. We worry about changes because we don't know how they will affect us personally. However, these changes are unlikely to have any demonstrable effect whatever on the fabric of spacetime, so change is probably inevitable. Not that it's desirable, but that's just from the personal, human perspective. But consider: such changes may be as necessary to the continued good health of spacetime as tides are to life on earth.

For all that anybody knows, time changes may already happen quite frequently and without the aid of machines and human brains. We're, as usual, just starting to catch up with the science that explains how and why.

And you can take that to the bank .... well, maybe not today. Maybe wait till the current cash crisis settles down a bit

[edit on 3/10/08 by hidatsa]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by semiunknown
Just ask this guy if time travel is real:

The motives of anyone time travelling need careful scrutiny. I wonder what this man's screening process is? And what drugs he uses

I'm surprised the ad didn't end "No Time Wasters"

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
What about this...

Civz in the future can send messages thru channeling medium minds to any points in the history... Call that nostradamus...

Now in the 14th October LHC is started in secret
They open a portal so future civ no shows in the earth in a form of a great ship in the sky....

Bashar says similar things about the way he channels his messages, that they are somewhere around 300 years in the future and in a different dimension than us but that BASHAR is basically a descendant of his channeler...interesting hmm?

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
and you know while im thinking about it i was going to say what if changes do happen in our past, how would we really know that anything changed, our ability to sense whats going on around us is very limited. there was a movie made called "what the bleep do we know" and while some of the theories therein suggest concepts that have alot of criticism riding around it one fact they got right was how our mind filters out so much of reality that it cant process that we LITERALLY have a limited view of reality,how it works,and what is going on within it. so limited that anything is really possible considering the quantum mechanics we are currently discussing....

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join