It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Political Forum Coming Soon: The ATS Bully Pulpit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

New Forum Coming Soon: The ATS Bully Pulpit

The term "bully pulpit" was first coined by U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt as he described the presidency being a public office of high exposure that provided the president (or other high profile national politician) with an opportunity to speak out and be received on any matter of importance. The so called "bully pulpit" can bring important political topics to the forefront that were not prominently in debate, due to any number of reasons.

Now, here on AboveTopSecret.com with our ever-increasing overall popularity and awareness, those who are concerned with the nature of modern political debate are afforded a new high profile "bully pulpit" venue.

Over the next couple of days, we'll be rolling out this new and special forum, where our rules of conduct will be an exceptionally strict interpretation of our existing Terms & Conditions... in addition to two simple core rules...

No Partisanship Bickering: Posts that engage in the all to typical partisan tactics of divisive bickering will not be allowed.

Focus On The Issues: Posts that focus on unrelated rumors associated with candidates and other political personalities are not allowed.

Those who wish to participate in the forum will post a public acceptance of this pledge: "I, _____________, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'" Acceptance of this pledge affords a member with the ability to post in the Bully Pulpit Forum... where only few can post, but all can read.

Posting in the Bully Pulpit forum will earn the member more points than other forums.

Each star awarded in the Bully Pulpit earns the post author 25 ATS points.

Exceptionally strict rules will apply, one post containing divisive political rhetoric or deceptive information about candidates will result in:
1- immediate removal from the Bully Pulpit access.
2- a five-day posting ban from participating in ATS.
3- immediate forfeit of all ATS points
4- if a member has fewer than 200 ATS posts, their account will be terminated

The goal here is to create an environment with those who desire to seriously discuss important political issues can do so without concern over interruption by the disruptive tactics of political trolls. All can read, but a select few who really want to make a difference can post.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
He, he, I see ATS is trying to get ready for the wave that has been hitting this side since last elections bickering.

Good luck this new forum, anything to control the bickering is welcome.

I still miss the mud Pit since was eliminated from the site.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
cool

cant wait

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks SO, anything to get a smiley SO avatar back.

If I may ask, would it not also be a good idea, to have a similar forum with the exact opposite intent. Where the extravagant, rumor based, and divisive threads can go?
Kind of like a skunk works for politics. 2cents

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Enough with the new forums already. Politics are without borders anyways...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I accept and thanks be to the ATS staff for cleaning this place up a bit. I remember when I first joined ATS there were far fewer people here who derailed threads or posted insanity in the forums..I have noticed a slow turn around for this, and the efforts have not gone unnoticed.

This is just icing on the cake.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's a great idea. Up to us to make it work... I'll go first, even if unofficially...

I, _seagull____________, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'" Acceptance of this pledge affords a member with the ability to post in the Bully Pulpit Forum... where only few can post, but all can read.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thank god! This is a great idea.

I've been waiting for something like this. All the bickering is what kept me from the political forums.

Yay for civilized political discussion!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Exceptionally strict rules will apply, one post containing divisive political rhetoric or deceptive information about candidates will result in:
1- immediate removal from the Bully Pulpit access.
2- a five-day posting ban from participating in ATS.
3- immediate forfeit of all ATS points
4- if a member has fewer than 200 ATS posts, their account will be terminated

Does this mean all of the above punishments for a single violation? What would happen if a member posted information taken in good faith, but turned out to be false/deceptive?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why not extend that anti-trolling measure across the Breaking Alt News and existing political forums as well?

(Insert preferred being of higher power here) knows we need it.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'll go second.

"I, Solarskye , an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"I, nyk537, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignorance.'"

----

You know I'm in. I'm very excited to discuss some real political issues with some of my esteemed colleagues here at ATS.

It'll be like a flashback to the good old days of PTS.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Not to seem off topic, but since there are typically polls and surveys with politics, wouldn't this also be useful in such a forum rather than just posts? a star could represent a poll answer also. It will be interesting just to follow it's progress.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Does this mean all of the above punishments for a single violation? What would happen if a member posted information taken in good faith, but turned out to be false/deceptive?

We may only opt not to apply the posting ban.

The overarching message is to check your sources, then check again.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I cannot say that I will be posting often, though I might be on this forum if allowed to - since it will be virtually devoid of trolls - but I would love to have the opportunity to do so.

And therefore I give this vow:

I, Amaterasu, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'

Thanks, SO, for this opportunity to intelligently and honestly discuss matters as they pertain to the political realm.

I do hope a happier face appears soon. [smile]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Will this put a smile back on your avatar?

I admit that I have done some of those " No, No's with politics but I'm all for discussing the real issues and what can be done. I'll do my part.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There is a GOD! Oh wait.. did I just start another thread?

"I, Quazga, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

Thank you SO!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Does this mean I get my PTS and ATS points separated again? ... they just got to be'n friends.. I'd hate to break ems up now..

I thinks ATS should have just kept PTS.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
No trolls? No shenanigans? No BS??? Just real politics? ... Gosh if this is enforced it will almost be completely removed from the real political arena.. Sardonic kidding aside, this sounds like a great thing. I am eager to watch it play out in action.

"I, Titorite, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

[edit on 10/18/2007 by titorite]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
While I don't usually pursue the topic, I too take the pledge:

"I, Maxmars, an ATS member concerned about real and important political issues in this 2008 election season promise to do my best to elevate the tone of political debate through my participation in the ATS Bully Pulpit Forum. I will not post insults. I will not engage in divisive political rhetoric. I will focus on the issues important to the American public and the world at large. I will support my statements with confirmed facts. I will conduct myself in the best example of superior participation and fully embrace the spirit of 'deny ignornace.'"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join