It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Warns Baltics, Poland To Pay For Georgia Stance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Baltics certainly have less firepower than Georgia, though they are more organised end effective. Poland of course has lots of it. Russia certainly has considered "defending" russians living in Baltics, but the paradox is, if russians will be offered to live in Russa - 99% would refuse. That is a known fact.

In Ossetia, it is known to Estonian analysts, that majority of local politicians in Ossetia are ex criminals with russian origin. They have been organized to have ruling positions in South Ossetia to create instability in the region. It is known also, that conflict in Georgia was initiated by south ossetians (with help from Russia), who continually attacked georgian villages. It has been going on for years.

Medvedev has called a cease-fire but actual killing goes on in Georgia. Russian military is doing ethnic cleansing, arresting local governers, destroying infra structure, economy, trying to cripple the country before it actually pulls back.

[edit on 12-8-2008 by inxion]

[edit on 12-8-2008 by inxion]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Statement of President Ilves to the people of Estonia regarding the situation in Georgia.

The Russian-Georgian war is a touchstone for the European Union for shaping European security policies in the future. Europe must re-evaluate its entire current security and foreign policy and bring it into conformity with the new reality. We must thoroughly rethink what the significantly changed security environment in the vicinity of Europe means for Estonia.

president.ee...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well im from Baltics,and Russia warns a couple times in a month that we will pay for insulting russians, for rewriting the history(The film Soviet Story),the Kremlins historian even said that producers of that film need to be shot, and so on. After Estonia removed an Soviet Monument from the Capitals citty an year ago, there was mas riots in Tallin organized from Moscow to ''defend the glory of those who have beeten the Nazis".We are used to it.
Lucky were are now in NATO and we have already a military bases and compounds where the military contingent of NATO are based.
For our military,our goverment doktrine is that our military will useful only in guerilla warfare(mainly because we are small in nummbers), and so is our military trained.We have couple of APC, i think 2 Tanks, some artilery,but lots of handweapons.
Here the link if anyone is interested in that film

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The Baltic countries and Poland - unlike Georgia - are full members of Nato and the European Union. There is no way Russia would there "attack" them openly - as that would mean a direct attack on NATO and EU - in other words it would start a major conflict (if not WW3!).

The Russians may like to "sound" menacing right now - but is just rhetoric - they are not crazy, nor would wish to start such a conflict!

[edit on 12-8-2008 by zamolxis]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
well .. there are ways to pay them.. as some posted earlier.. gas delivery in winter months.
I'm sure that Russians are smart enough to do other "threat options" then military warfare.

beside.. The old bears tends to be cruelly cunning.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Russia will probably try to bully Baltic States and may even be successful as the Baltics have neither strong army nor natural resources. Their trade is heavily dependent on Russia.

Poland is another matter. Poland has a strong modern military, lots of natural resources and its trade with Russia is minimal. Russians will most likely increase the price of gas to Poland which already stands at the European average. What will this mean ? Poland will buy cheaper gas from other countries and seek alternatives.

Poland may in turn forbid any transit of Russian goods via its territory. Considering that Poland is at the crossroads of north-south and east-west trade routes that would definately hit Russian exports and imports pretty hard.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viperion
well .. there are ways to pay them.. as some posted earlier.. gas delivery in winter months.
I'm sure that Russians are smart enough to do other "threat options" then military warfare.

beside.. The old bears tends to be cruelly cunning.

Not to mention the fact that, as they have proven in Georgia, Russia has the tech, and is very good at, cutting off communication. Most computer networks, digital systems etc in Georgia are offline right now, and not because of the bombs.

Russia has been playing the tech warfare games for a while.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Notice that soon as a county (Russia) gets a new leader some other country just has to put them to a test like a punk would?

If we make it to a new president some country might test the U.S.

What goes around comes around.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by damagemouse

I believe what you meant to say was:

as we are currently wasting all our military resources in IRAQ,

RUSSIA WILL BURY US.

oh noes!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zamolxis

did you look into Putin's eyes, and see his soul?

we have no idea what Russia might do.

we have zero moral authority, and they have us by the short and curlies here!

we have most of our forces spread all over the middle east, and no one wants to back us up anymore.

oh and one more thing:

Russia controls a LOT of oil.

if the close the spigot, the EU won't be able to gas up the tanks.

do you think they'll make a special offer on Gas to the Chinese? I do.

you know, they say all Obama can do is talk.

I think maybe we need smooth talker right now, more than a crazy old man who thinks we can solve any problem by throwing bombs at it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Russia IS NOT threatening military action here.

Russia is referring to Eastern Europe's dependence on Russian gas and oil and how quickly those privileges can be taken away if they continue to back Georgia.
Hence the "long time" reference, a long time with heavily reduced energy supplies and high prices, not a long time of military attacks sheesh.

Military action against Ukraine or Eastern Europe would most definitely invoke the wrath of NATO and the West as firstly, most are NATO/EU members and secondly that's too close for comfort for the EU Powers.

There is NO WAY Russia is risking coming to blows with the US/NATO over Saakashvili and his bullsh*t territories.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
i wonder if u.s. spy satellites are helping Georgian military plan there targets...

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So because Russia threatens us with nukes we should just grab our ankles and take whatever they're giving? For what, exactly? News flash, we've got nukes, too... many of them, in fact.

This hasn't got a damn thing to do with Georgia. It has to do with Poland and the Czechs letting us put our missile shield on their land. Russia's got sand in it's vagina and by God everyone will know about it, even if they have to stamp their feet and cry like children.

I sincerely hope and pray that our country still has leaders who's reaction to nuclear threats by petulant child Russia is a nice big middle finger followed by a shrug of their shoulders and a gesture towards the nuclear football while still in plain view of Putin and Medvedev. Any other reaction whatsoever and we've already lost any future war, cold or otheriwse, with the Russians merely because we've demonstrated that we fear their nukes more than we support our retalliation.

As for Poland, I'd certainly hope that we'd defend them a whole lot better than we defended our ally Georgia.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

So because Russia threatens us with nukes we should just grab our ankles and take whatever they're giving?

Uhh remind me, when did Russia ever specifically threaten anyone with Nuclear Weapons?

What were you expecting the Russians to do exactly? Listen to Bush's ridiculous demands and stand down?

Yeah their planes are being shot down, their people shelled, "Hey come on guys stand down already!"

I wonder what America would be doing if its planes went down over Iran and its soldiers came under Iranian artillery fire?

I sincerely hope and pray that our country still has leaders who's reaction to nuclear threats by petulant child Russia is a nice big middle finger

Why didn't I see the US flipping off Israel for this remark:

"All options are on the table, not only in the future.

www.haaretz.com...

Or how about Pakistan for threatening to nuke India over Kashmir?

Don't be a hypocrite, America will only play "Good Cop" when it suits them. Protecting friends, democracy, freedom, liberation; that's all one big distractive, sideshow.

The real objective is profit. How can the US profit from defending the Baltic States from Russian aggression?

The answer to that is simple. Support the Eastern Europeans and they'll be far more receptive to you plopping down a few military bases and ICBM's all over their territories, as a reward for your friendship.

It has to do with Poland and the Czechs letting us put our missile shield on their land.

It seems you answered your own question before you even asked the question?

Exactly right. It's just about the missile shield and the NATO sphere of influence.
Step in, back Poland and the Baltic nations, save the day and you can stick an ICBM up their asses and they'll still love you.

America is intent on reigniting the Cold War-era tensions here.
First they put up the ABM Shield right next door to Russia, then they back a US puppet on Russia's doorstep and give him the green light to go postal and now your getting ticked off because Russia is asserting it's strength and influence?

Awww what's the matter? America doesn't like tasting it's own medicine ay?

If you don't want to people to threaten you or your Allies maybe you should stop doing the same to them no?

Treat as others as you would like to be treated. You act like an arrogant pr*ck and outright bully and you best believe Russia will treat you as such.
The only language bullies understand is their own. Violence.

[edit on 12/8/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

Originally posted by SKUNK2
Us British people would defend Poland in a war.

Just like last time EH

except when it's all over this time we'll let USA take control of it instead of Soviet Union!

ahaha was going to say the same thing, british to the rescue we know how that one worked out, cant really trust them as they dont keep their word

But then again us polaks will never give up(if they attack)we got a long history of fighting russians maybe their mad still over what happened in 1609-1610

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well doing a bit of digging I found this video notice it was posted May 7, 2008. So if these claims are true, Georgia have had some serious justifications.

With these threats to the Baltics, Poland and to the US (nuclear force if we engauge defensive protections of any of these areas; I am strongly reminded of German actions in 1939 and prior to annexation of lands of neighboring countries. I find it sad and pathetic that people have forgotten and urge appeasement. To what end will there be a stand by the West and a quick strong reply of "Not again. Not now. Not ever."

I would hate to think that a lack of conviction will have Putin laying the first block of a new wall in Berlin or will Warsaw be enough this time? Furthest from escalation Putin has laid down the gauntlet and Bush (despite what people believe of him now) will prove he has no stones if he doesn't call the Russian threat and state that Russia has 24 hours to withdraw behind the recognised border or we begin attacking targets not in S. Ossetia but iwithin Russia proper and for the fisrt 24 hours it will be conventional weapons only unless Russia escalates to nuclear options. If the call it, then by all means do it to prove that we mean what we say. That Russia will not bring the West into a full world war like the Hitler did.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The Russian President has declared that peacekeeping operations are now over.

Russia now has half of Georgia - conflict is not yet over in Abkhazia, freedom fighters are still fighting the Georgian invaders, Russia may still be helping them. Israel and America are still arming and commanding Georgian forces.

American mercenaries are amongst the dead and captured. The Russian people blame America and Israel for instigating the conflict. The American people blame John Edwards for cheating on his wife and have been informed that Blue is the 'new green'.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
If Russia wants to play the Role of Germany '36...

Ths USA will gladly play the role of the USA...

See 2nd part of sig...

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

what role, the americans in 41? gimme a break. america has shown it's metal over georgia already, no-one's relying on the good old US of A in this one. what's it going to offer, mumbles about how the eu bought it on themselves for allowing former comm bloc states to join?

if russia attacks poland or the baltic states, the only assurance is that the EU, as a whole, will go to war, which will be interesting in the long term, politically. i doubt it'll come to that but we'll see how it goes.

realistically, i imagine it is an economic consequence that is being refered to, but then again, "don't do that or else" seems to be russia's standard response to any action of their former satalite states.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Hoo boy. Did it just get hot in here or what? Poland declined the missile shield. It would seem this game of Risk is truly heating up.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join