It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a photo of Martian Life, does anyone know where this came from?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well we do find creatures here on earth nowdays that live in places where life shouldn't exist. Like those weird fishy creatures that lives on such a depth that it shouldn't be possible, but they live beside underwater volcanos that pure out sulphur, Pretty hositle enviroment. Still day exist.

I say again, ( This is beginning to get offtopic but..) We need to stop to see ourselves as a template or a blueprint for life.

I don't belive life began here because there happened to be water.
I think life evolve everywhere but adepts itself to the enviroment at hand, exept for those REALLY abnormaly warm or called planets out there ( who knows ).

I mean, perhaps other life needs something that is similiar to water.
Other lifeforms are perhaps dependent of silicon or anyother material, we yet have to discover, as we are dependent of water.

Simply, don't use our reference of reality as if it would be a universal law. Cause we really don't know if that is true or not. And since we don't know, we could just as much assume that other lifeforms don't need the same building blocks as we need.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by Akezzon]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I'm confused. So, now you are trying to say this image, which the OP says is an ape, is now a CO2 loving plant??

OK...this plant can survive in -273 degree temps....yet it's not green. Oh, I know, it uses something other than photosynthesis....but still manages to resemble what we know as an ape....on a planet not even connected to the Earth?

This is fun! Please tell me more!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Weedwhacker....

Ok, don't look at the rocks as an Alien...but could you atleast admit that there is something weird about them?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akezzon
Simply, don't use our reference of reality as if it would be a universal law.

That may be a very good idea. However, we, us humans, have as our only frame of reference, Earth and the life on it. That's the reality. Imagination is fine.....but then can we simply imagine a lifeform to be literally anything? I don't think that's a valid starting point....because the only known lifeforms in this universe, are what we see around us. I'm not discounting the possibility that other life may be so unlike anything in our relatively limited dataset, that we may be totally unable to recognize it.

It occurs to me.....if abductees and other experiencers report the morphology of their alleged "visitors" to be remarkably like ours -- two legs, two arms, head on top, two eyes, etc.....why then would we expect other life to not follow some general format much like our own?

[edit on 10-8-2008 by MrPenny]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
but then can we simply imagine a lifeform to be literally anything? I don't think that's a valid starting point

Nor is disclaiming life on another planet simply because the planet has a C02 atomosphere that humans can not survive on, (my analogy of the plant,which was only responded to with redundacny), instead to deny the plausablility that other life doensn't need what humans need for life.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Your right, that's absolutely true and I agree. But do you start looking for life outside of your frame of reference? For instance, do you look for life that survives only on sulphuric acid? Not likely, because we know of one example of a planet where life exists with oxygen, water, and sunlight....in abundance.

What I'm trying to say is....our frame of reference establishes the parameters that we're going to employ in order to find life. By virtue of being the only known example of life in the universe.

I completely get the point....my point is, there is a starting set of rules that we are absolutely positive is conducive to creating and supporting life. And yes, weedwhacker may be somewhat quick on the trigger to assume any other lifeform cannot survive an extremely cold, CO2 environment. But, it's understandable....there are very few examples of such life on this planet.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Akezzon

Akezzon.

OK...I'll admit, if you first define 'weird'.

If you happen to live in the USA, you may wonder why certain National Parks are....well, National Parks. Yosemite, for instance

In Utah, there is the Monuments National Park....could be wrong about the exact venue, but one of the 'arches' in ARCHES National Park just collapsed. Hey, it's life!!!

I guess, if we didn't know any better, we'd see some of these actually occuring stone arches, and a guess could be made that 'aliens' produced them, just for our pleasure.

So then, all of the 'geoloists' who came along to explain the formations, would be laughed off???

Not sure this is a practical analogy....but I think it's close.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Religion

Of course, 'Religion'!!!

It's a four inch tall 'ape'.

Sheesh, now I know it all, you've broken the barrier to all knowledge.

Of course, it is an 'ape' that somehow breathes CO2....at temps that would make an Eskimo shiver outside his Igloo.

So....we have an entity that can exist, in a partial atmosphere, whichis mostly CO2, and very, very cold....yet, it's a multi-cellular organism, that happens to resemple an earth creature?? Yeah....right.....

Would you believe in the "Blue whale" if you never had seen one before?

A mamal that reguarly exists in below freezing temperatures... happens to be the single largest creature on earth yet feeds of critters barely dedectable individually to the eye... can live without taking a breath for hours and hours at a tim in perfect comfort and has am intelligent brain comparable perhaps to our own...

I don't think this is more than a rock... al I am saying is... creatures on earth survive in these conditions... Orcas feed on seals in the Artic every day...and penguins too...

If we landed on the south pole and you had never seen it...wouldn't a penguin be a ridiculously improbable creature?

Ifa sked if there was Mammillian life there and not knowing? Would you belive it when a large colony of emperor penguins popped up over the icey Hill?

Or...if the bottom of the ocean was the environment of another wor;d could you ever believe or expect to find Crabs and shrips of sorts hovering right nearby 550 + degree thermal vents with life forms that resemble nothing else on Earth living directly on and in those volcanic vents?

What is so hard actually to believe about life on Mars there is air and there is more under the surface, there is shelter the planet is inactive...tons of chambers...and this perhaps is "specualtion" but if you know any geoology at all...just imagine what the Earth would be like if the planet core went dead.... or close to it... the sheer vastness of underground space as lava cooled and hardened...

What is so hard to believe about organic anti freeze in a creatures blood...when it exists here on earth? Or cratures that can go...prolonged periods without taking abbreath when..it exists here on Earth... and how difficult is it to shield against radiation? Many creatures again on earth are... impervious like the cockroach...

ants have lived weeks in space tests with...no oxygen at all...

bacteria and fungi and even worms thrived when exposed to high radiation... in soviet craft...

In fact the weeks following hiroshima...led to a virtual bloom of plant life...

soooo... when creatures on earth have shells and fur...

just what is so hard to believe given an extra 30 or so million Milles from the sun and a small atmosphere that...some creatures could sometimes walk the surface?

Not saying this is it...

But... why does it seem so impossible?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Misfit

I'm confused. So, now you are trying to say this image, which the OP says is an ape, is now a CO2 loving plant??

OK...this plant can survive in -273 degree temps....yet it's not green. Oh, I know, it uses something other than photosynthesis....but still manages to resemble what we know as an ape....on a planet not even connected to the Earth?

This is fun! Please tell me more!!!

This is ficticious... Mars temp is not -273 degrees it reaches those temperatures only as an extreme in winter at the coldest part of the planet at the tips f the poles...

typical temperatures range from 20 degrees below freezing to 0 - 100 Temperatures in which more than one large mammal can survive outdoors for limited amounts of time... given the lack of cloud cover methods of retaining that radiation might well be useful as oppossed to negative.

Temperatures on Mars can climb as high as 80 degrees f at the proper times of the year... and there is no telling how high under the surface...

That on better days, 80 f/ - 40 f creatures might choose to take a stroll and Mars might have seasonal life forms on the surface they feed off of ... is specualative but highly possible

many life forms on earth thaw out seasonally, many for only a few days a year to mate and go back to sleep...

and these are a myriad of examples of... Earth let alone truely alien life...

If told 10 years ago life survied between 500-700 + degrees would you have believed it?

Of course not but it is right below the waves for us to see...

so again what is so...highly improbable... when we have yet to find a single environment on earth...from the uper atmosphere to the deepest holes we have drilled from inside volcanos to undersea vents...

That Didn't hold life...

where isn't there life is the more appropriate question...

water and a few days a year at 80 degrees and a cave system with denser gasses in it...

you might as well be assured there is life because we find it... in far more extreme parts of Earth...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Finally....an intelligent response!!!

Yes....but the Phoenix Lander is quite ner the North Pole of Mars.

So, everything you said was on spot....but mostly if you're at the Equator.

AND, with out the thick atmosphere we have on Earth, even a 12-hour night on Mars can get quite cold.

Please note....Mars is amazing, since it's axial tilt is close to Earth's.

It rotates about its axis at just slightly more than 24 hours....one 'Sol'

Its orbit around the Sun is roughly just two Earth years....

Too bad, its mass couldn't hold on to the amosphere, as Earth did.

Mars, if properly 'terraformed', could support life as we know it, on Earth,

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Finally....an intelligent response!!!

Yes....but the Phoenix Lander is quite ner the North Pole of Mars.

So, everything you said was on spot....but mostly if you're at the Equator.

AND, with out the thick atmosphere we have on Earth, even a 12-hour night on Mars can get quite cold.

Please note....Mars is amazing, since it's axial tilt is close to Earth's.

It rotates about its axis at just slightly more than 24 hours....one 'Sol'

Its orbit around the Sun is roughly just two Earth years....

Too bad, its mass couldn't hold on to the amosphere, as Earth did.

Mars, if properly 'terraformed', could support life as we know it, on Earth,

Percholates can be however formed by Ammonia... and Ammonia is the no1 theory of a replacemnt liquid as astrobiologists see it for an organic life form at low temperatures...

don't get me wrong... I truely doubt this thing is a life form...

but... it's not impossible that some larger organisms live under the surface that's all...

The radiation factor of mars also interests me... who can say what forms of retaining that radiation might exist...colder temperature more direct energy from the sun...

The scenarios has a good many ways life could play out...

1: heat storage via extra radiation

2: ammonia based blood stream...

3: extreme forms of insulation against the cold

4: cavern environments below the surface

5: other unknown anti freeze alternatives

6: abiltiy to retain air like a whale or absorb it from digesting water

7: short seasonal life spans

off the top of my head...

and that's not going beyond the known with the exception of the Ammonia theory and I only list that because it is a very common and widely accepted as possible theory

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The thing is on Earth... we have yet to encounter an environment without some sort of live... we go down deep enough we find kinds of life we never knew existed...life that mights as well be from another world...

Atacama is inhabited by percholate feeding bacteria...the vocanos and trenches are...the diggest holes we dig...have microbes in them...

we also know...we have thawed life from being frozen for extremely long periods of time...far shorter in fact than a rock blown off Earth to mars would take to get there...

so... I think it must be probable that something from Earth over Millions of years has adapted to life on Mars had time to evolve a flourish by now...

Mars sits beyond the Earth..the sun blows some of us at it's orbit every day of the year from the top of our atmosphere...

we have been landing on Mars the old fashioned way... since long before there were humans... before there were dinosaurs in fact

Now if Percholate feeding bacteria exist...all over our planet... and...the andes are covered in volcanoes...

all I can do is put 2 and 2 together at that point and see absolutely no reason that regions microbes have'nt continualy hitched the ride... almost every time there has been a big kaboom in the region... which isn't rare in that region either....

we had to have seeded mars by now... it just is not... more extreme than the parts of Earth we have found life.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Its just a gorilla guys...

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I think most of us doubt that this thing or those things are a living creature.
However, what most of us also feels is that one shall not announce straight out that there couldn't be a living creature BECAUSE it wouldn't survive there for the reason that we, ourselves wouldn't.

This is what I oppose.

I am not opposing that those things might just be 2 rocks and nothing else.
But to reject the possibility of life on Mars just because of some enviromental facts is to me abit to much of "jumping into conclusions".

But one thing DO puts questions in my mind thought.
Whether those things are rocks or not, they look very out of place comparede to the rest of the rocks on that Marsian surface.

The shadows have a position and a placements on the rocks that don't seem natural comapared to other rocks shadows. And... the shadows looks like they have been "enhanced" and painted over.

Then we have the formation and the shape of these rocks which to me is also weird. It is VERY easy to point out the "imaginary" body and head of these stones.

So, again...I am not totally convinced that these two things are rocks ( I am not saying they aren't rocks though ) but I still like to keep an open mind.

[edit on 11-8-2008 by Akezzon]

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
They are rocks, that's it. Haven't people figured out yet, that we are not only likely to find stuff like looks like things we are familiar with in the shapes of rocks, but *guaranteed* to?

As far as "mother and calf" goes, that's ludicrous. Zoom in and look at the "facial features," and tell me they are the same animal. They would not be. Nose and face are completely different.

They are ROCKS, just like all the other rocks, and I'm getting a bit weary of hearing about faces, statues, animals, tiny men with hair, aliens walking around in the desert, you name it. If they come back and film that same spot in a month.. guess what.. they will still be there.

I agree with the guy that is stunned by the amount of gullibility of folks regarding this stuff. Man.. I DO want to believe, but I am not going to say there are apes and cows where there are not any. Might as well say there are alligators and horses running amok in our sky. They can't be CLOUDS.. they must be animals!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I am still amazed that we have so many ATS members who almost are getting disgusted by other peoples discussions, belief, and speculations in a degree where they have to ridicule them.

Ok, so you are sure it is a ROCK. That is quite alright. But don't give those who think different names.

So some believe it to be a "ape" like creature.... SO WHAT?!
Let them believe that then.

I for one don't think it is an ape, but I still like to have my awareness and my consiousness opened enough to see that their still is a possibility that those rocks could be something else than just two rocks.

That doesn't necessarily mean them to be a life form.

But my personal view, ( after some tweaking and filter using ), say that those "rocks" have been manipulated in some way.

But that is MY belief. I am not telling YOU to believe what I believe. And therefore I don't have to prove anything either.

The images OP presented and I tweaked in this thread was made ( from my part ) to awake people awareness and consiousness. To have them speculate and think for themselves.

But there is always a group of people who just haaave to tell those who speculate and believe , to give their beliefs up because this and that is impossible.

Instead of "Hey fools, it's a rock. You are so gullible...I feel sorry for you etc etc" ( No, all these words have not been spoken in this thread, but I've seen it in others ) why not write a post with more humbleness and understanding?
Like: " Hey everyone, yeah I can see that the shape is odd and that it is easy to imagine that there is an "ape" or "bear". But in my opinion it seems to be a plain rock."

And then perhaps a description on why you believe it is a rock.
Cause it is just a BELIEF. No one can proove that it is an rock just as much as it is an Alien ( if we use these pictures as a fundation of evidence ).

So to say it IS an ape or it IS a rock is in my opinion wrong.
I think the word MIGHT should be used more often on this site.

My two cents.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Akezzon

Amazing work, Akezzon! I am very impressed!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Uh. Maybe Martian apes do not have the same number of limbs as Earthly apes.

Well of course they don't.....I thought everyone knew Barsoomian apes had an intermediary set of limbs between their legs and arms that could be used as either grasping limbs or additional legs....much like the proud warrior race of Mars...the Green Men.

I know it to be so....Edgar Rice Burroughs described it.

John Carter says it's true! I hadn't read any ERB in years, thanks for the reminder!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

mopus...absolutely fascinating stuff!!

Ammonia as a medium for life? New to me, but who knows? As you pointed out, life can adapt in otherwise inhospital environments, such as in the deep ocean.

I think I mentioned that I had read about a bacterium that thrived on radioactivity....found here on Earth.

If life can adapt that way....and you give it a few million years to evolve...then maybe multi-cellular life is possible in conditions such as Mars has.

Your point about fragments of other planets getting around the Solar System....works both ways. Fragments of Mars have made it to Earth, so likely, millions of years ago, it could happen the other way as well.

However.....a rock is a rock is a rock. If it looks like a rock, and quacks like a rock, and doesn't move or pick its nose....it's a rock!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I think you might find these articles interesting:

BLACK FUNGUS EATS HARMFUL RADIATION IN CHERNOBYL

Black fungus was found growing on the walls of Chernobyl’s damaged and highly radioactive nuclear reactor by robots sent to scour the area. Later, scientists analyzed the fungus and found it contained high content of melanin, a pigment found in human skin that gives it color, as well as protection from solar and ultraviolet radiation.
Melanin is found in many fungal species. Scientists say the melanin found in fungus and humans are similar in chemical composition.
Nuclear (and other high-energy) reactions give off ionizing radiation, dangerous rays and particles that can damage genes and thus cause mutations and eventually cancer. With fungi, however, they seem to thrive under the same conditions.

www.digitaljournal.com...

This article is from 2001:

MUTANT FUNGUS FROM SPACE

In the latest twist to the long saga of the Mir space station, biologists have stated their concerns about the fungi the platform will bring back to Earth when it splashes down this month.
Russian NTV television interviewed Yuri Karash, a space expert who thinks the organisms, which have spent 15 years quietly mutating in their own isolated environment on Mir, could be a real problem.
"I don't want to be a pessimist," Mr Karash said. "But the problem is there and it is a serious one.
"The mutant fungi do exist and in future they could do serious damage to humanity. We can only draw the final conclusions after we have completed our research."
Over the years, visitors to Mir have consistently said the biggest impression on reaching the station is the smell.
And they have found various types of fungus growing behind panels and in air-conditioning units.

The micro-organisms mutated from fungus found on Earth.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It seems that fungus can live just about everywhere!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join