It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: “America is no longer what it once was"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
For a man who seeks the highest office in the land, Obama sure doesn't seem to think much of his country.. his response to this little seven year old girl is very telling if you ask me, and is reminiscent of his wife's opinions about America.

Maybe his 20 year association with people like Rev. Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayres is beginning to show just a bit..

[edit on 8-8-2008 by LLoyd45]

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't get it. So Obama can't be critical of his country if he wants to be the President? Does that mean i can't be critical of the country I love? I love my wife's mother too but she's a drunk, she's not what she once was. Does that mean i don't really love her? I mean, come on.

I feel like this is the Red Scare all over again. You can't be critical of your country because it means you're not a patriot? The worst thing anyone can do for this country is sit there with your head in the sand and claim this country is as great as it ever was, and do nothing to change it or maintain it.

What are you thinking?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
reply to post by LLoyd45

I don't get it. So Obama can't be critical of his country if he wants to be the President? Does that mean i can't be critical of the country I love? I love my wife's mother too but she's a drunk, she's not what she once was. Does that mean i don't really love her? I mean, come on.

I feel like this is the Red Scare all over again. You can't be critical of your country because it means you're not a patriot? The worst thing anyone can do for this country is sit there with your head in the sand and claim this country is as great as it ever was, and do nothing to change it or maintain it.

What are you thinking?
You don't tell seven year olds their country is screwed up. They're not old enough to process the information in a rational manner. We adults realize there are problems, but there's no need to frighten little kids with anti-American rehetoric.

Children should be encouraged to love and respect their country, not fear for it's continued existence.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well, there's a number of different facets to America.

-Economically - this country is worse off

-Constitutionally - this country is worse off

-Socially - this country is better.

It depends on what he's talking about, but Bush hasn't really helped us out so it stands to reason that's what he's talking about.

I agree and I don't think he'll help any more than McCain.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

You're way off the mark. Obama said America is no longer what it once was, not that the country is "screwed up" as you so eloquently put it. Slow down, your tires are spinning.

Saying America is no longer what it once was is NOT ANTI-AMERICAN. Infact, it's more pro american than blindly praising a country that does need improvement to get back to where it ONCE WAS.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
You're way off the mark. Obama said America is no longer what it once was, not that the country is "screwed up" as you so eloquently put it. Slow down, your tires are spinning.

The little girl asked him why he wanted to be President, not would you give me your learned dissertation on what's wrong with the country today..

Saying America is no longer what it once was is NOT ANTI-AMERICAN. Infact, it's more pro american than blindly praising a country that does need improvement to get back to where it ONCE WAS.

It a comment you should reserve for adults, not seven year olds, that simply ask why so you want to be President. A more honest answer would have been I'm an arrogant, ambitious man, but instead he criticizes his country.

where exactly would he like to takes us back to? I'd prefer the fifties when Anti-American rants wouldn't have been tolerated.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

I was going to say exactly that!

I'm not too keen on what the country has become either.

Its too militaristic, too government centered. Government is bigger now than it ever has been, EVER, in the history of this country....

our economy sucks
our dollar is to the euro what the peso used to be to the dollar
we're mocked on a global scale

Can't support our borders
and the government today cares more about steroids in MLB and Iraqi's in a far off land than they care about you or I.

America is not what it once was.
And hasnt been since 2000.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
You don't tell seven year olds their country is screwed up.

No one did that.

They're not old enough to process the information in a rational manner.

You don't have enough faith in the child. Lying to her certainly isn't the answer. Obama was being honest. He has a 7-year-old himself. I respect him for his honesty. What he said is 100% true.

Besides, if the kid knows how to use a computer or listens to adults talk, she probably already knows that her country is in decline.

Children should be encouraged to love and respect their country, not fear for it's continued existence.

True. And saying "it's not what it once was" is not the same as fearing for its continues existence! LOL You have such an active imagination!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It seems to me that the obsession and cult involvement with Obama is on the side of the Republican smear campaign. This board is a perfect example if you look at the threads under recent posts the majority are threads trying to instill fear about Obama. I saw one earlier that claims he is going to install Sharia law.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

where exactly would he like to takes us back to? I'd prefer the fifties when Anti-American rants wouldn't have been tolerated.

I'm sure you would. Some Conservatives prefer censorship.

How else could they get away with all the intolerance, bigotry, and prejudice they've been getting away with for decades?

Patriotism is loving your country all the time and your government when it deserves it
- Mark Twain

Our government doesn't deserve respect out of obligation.

Our government is obligated to do things to deserve respect.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I hear patriotism kills brain cells.

Be a man. Stand up for what you think is right, no matter if the president or God himself says they dont agree with you.

Your president is a complete moron. Try to be on the other side.

[edit on 8-8-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

The little girl asked him why he wanted to be President, not would you give me your learned dissertation on what's wrong with the country today..

and if he had lied to her (like you would've...apparently) you'd be on here blasting him for lying

There is no winning with people who have the mindset of "my team" when it comes to politics.

Many of us Obama supporters have had our minds changed more than a dozen times in terms of the political spectrum ( i know i have )

but one irrefutable fact always brings us right back to square 1.

Conservatism.

The true form of elitism.

You cant admire obama for being honest
you blast him for not lying.

I have to question the principals and morals of such actions

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
No one did that.
He certainly did in so many words. She asked why he wanted to be President, not the state of the union. Could he not have simply said because I Love my country, and want to make it a better place for you and everyone else?

You don't have enough faith in the child. Lying to her certainly isn't the answer. Obama was being honest. He has a 7-year-old himself. I respect him for his honesty. What he said is 100% true.

He didn't have to lie, he could have simply answered the question he was asked..

Besides, if the kid knows how to use a computer or listens to adults talk, she probably already knows that her country is in decline.
Most seven year olds don't cruise the net or participate in adult conversations I'm afraid. They're children, not miniature adults BH.

True. And saying "it's not what it once was" is not the same as fearing for its continues existence! LOL You have such an active imagination!

so do you. you can rationalize anything he does or says.

A child has no frame of reference to distinguish between something's wrong, versus it might not be around when you grow up.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
and if he had lied to her (like you would've...apparently) you'd be on here blasting him for lying
He could've answered the question with I Love my country, but that would've been a lie obviously even to a seven year old.

There is no winning with people who have the mindset of "my team" when it comes to politics.

Many of us Obama supporters have had our minds changed more than a dozen times in terms of the political spectrum ( i know i have )
I know, you're all so open-minded on the subject of politics.. Look at all the anti-McCain threads as proof of it..

but one irrefutable fact always brings us right back to square 1.

Conservatism.

The true form of elitism.

You cant admire obama for being honest
you blast him for not lying

I can blame his for being a jerk and frightening little kids..

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Could he not have simply said because I Love my country, and want to make it a better place for you and everyone else?

A better place??? You mean it's not perfect?
Saying he wants to make it better implies that there's something WRONG with it or that it's not what it once was... Wait... That's what he said, isn't it?

He didn't have to lie, he could have simply answered the question he was asked..

HE DID. He was asked why he was running for president and he answered that he wanted to make America a better place for his kids. He told her why HE was running.

A child has no frame of reference to distinguish between something's wrong, versus it might not be around when you grow up.

Do you have children? Have you spent much time around 7-year-olds?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
LLoyd45, take it easy. If a person says that they want to make their country BETTER, to whatever audience, that's just that, and the rest is just just your vitriol against Obama.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Well they always say that admiting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

And if I may, I recall you mentioning how bad things are today.

I think that any candidate in this race, at this specific time has to be up front and honest about where we are, and where we need to be.

I personally believe that America is the leader of the free world. However I also think that it is slipping from economy, to policy, to militarily.

To be honest, Obama's frankness and willingness to approach it from this angle is one of the reasons I'm motivated to vote for him

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

This is getting ridiculous. I think i'm finished with this thread. Obama is damned if he does, damned if he don't according to you and every other conservative out there.

The problem isn't Obama. The problem is people like you who are so focused on this team mentality, you just have to be right. THAT is what's wrong with this country, people like you are taking it over. I'm sorry to say it but it's completely true.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
A better place??? You mean it's not perfect?
Saying he wants to make it better implies that there's something WRONG with it or that it's not what it once was... Wait... That's what he said, isn't it?
He started out telling how "America is no longer what it once was or could be, and I don't want that future for my children."

Do you have children? Have you spent much time around 7-year-olds?
Yeah, I have five, so I know what I'm talking about. do you have kids BH?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

He could've answered the question with I Love my country, but that would've been a lie obviously even to a seven year old.

Thats what he said. not in your sugary poofy, rainbow bright words, but thats what he answered her. And he's right.

I know, you're all so open-minded on the subject of politics.. Look at all the anti-McCain threads as proof of it..

Here's the problem. Anti-mccain threads that don't have a moving goal post is much different than your ever-growing problems with Obama. Do i seriously need to cite these examples again?

I can blame his for being a jerk and frightening little kids..

....frightening little kids?
I think you may've lost me....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join