It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama suggests reparations to blacks, Native Americans

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I think you should help whoever needs it. We contribut the most pollution, we screw everything up. Do you know how many Africans migrate, because they dont get rain because of our man-made shift. They cant afford irragation, so they starve. We throw away metric tons of food. I personally use alot of water, it maybe a little in the grand scheme of things, but its more grand in the grand-grand scheme of things. You dont see other countries lining up because we mess everything up not them. We can "Police" the world but we cant feed it. Come on Now.
If everyone gave a piece of bread to the person next to them everyone would be full and more than enough to do that a trillion more times.
If we dont take care 'who is', If everyone put forth an effort as a whole 'who wouldnt' be taken care of. As a whole, as a "earthling" we are all children, we are the world(not to sound too corny and michael-ish), but its true. There is no rest of the world, a planet is a planet a hungry person is a hungry person.
lets not divide us further by saying who deserves food and who doesnt.

There is enough Hope to last us the rest of days...
Peace, One Love

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
Just like a great hip-hop artist once said "whenever we mention our history or condition/ they calling it reverse racism" I just call it how it is. I have expiernced racism, not someone disliking because they assume I descend from evil owners.

I don't believe every thing that is said about black history is reverse racism, but you have to admit that there is quite a bit that is.

strange people, trust my word every person of color isnt like that.

Oh I know not everyone is. Like I've said before racism is a two way street and no one race has a monopoly on it. There are people from every race that are as racist as you can get, just like there are people from every race who wouldn't say or think a racist thing if you offered them a million dollars. It happens sometimes and is not indicative of how an entire race acts or feels.

When I was saying thing about the 'N' word I was referring to segregation. ....... Trying to seperate us by a word that derived from a judgement of skin color to a slang american word used to degrade someone(talking about ger, not ga).

That's what I dislike about having conversations such as this through internet forums.. Too easy to misunderstand what is being said without hearing the way the speaker would say it.

Trust me, if you ever have the opportunity to establish a healthy relationship with a person of color, they will tell you 2 letters make a big difference.(now im talking about gah)

As I stated before, can't remember if it was this thread or not, I have had friends of all shapes, sizes, and colors. And I know that how one person acts doesn't tell you how their entire race acts. I haven't had this particular discussion with any of my friends though because it is a sensitive subject and it is quite difficult to say anything, being white, without being labeled as racist.

I have and continue to experience something worse. The product of slavery, or its evolution socially. It hurts people to realize the potential psychological damage of enslavement. Just an poor example, but, if you madesome one eat dog food, that could potentially ruin certain parts of the mind forever. Thats micro, imagine something more grand, imo poeple are a afraid to admit that there is psychological damage that has been genetical and socially passed down(dont ask me where the proof is, use your common sense on that)

I'm not sure what exactly we are talking about... Few things in my mind could be worse than slavery, but I have a feeling that we don't consider the same things as worse... Could you elaborate? Not being intentionally dense, I'm just easily confused!

I have been called all types of things, that I am certainly not. I have been spit on, I have also been targeted by police"because you 'LOOK' like a gang member",or "your clothes". How can you say I look like a gang member and I have on the same clothes everyone else has on. With that logic, would that make everyone a gangmember. So stop and harrass every young individual you see? That is so primative.

Yep been there with being called names. I've been called just about everything but a white woman before. Haven't been accused of being a gang-member but I have been treated like a thief for walking through Wal-Mart at 2 am simply because I was awake and bored.

I have no intention on making racist comments like people and their 'welfare' comments or blame whitey when noone ever said that.
Im not in that business.

I honestly was not trying to make a racist comment. I have actually heard people say that before and was repeating what I have heard. If one person feels that way, there are more who do. Again this is why I don't really like having these conversations in writing where you can't hear how someone says things. I wasn't accusing anyone here of saying those things, but I have heard them with my own ears before. I should have clarified and I apologize for the misunderstanding there!

Thats all we are trying to say let it be the for real equal, not the your my brother when we are together but your just another inferior species when it comes down to it in social status. We have all contributed equal amounts information/data to mankind.
So lets bridge the gap.

I knew we would find some common ground somewhere!
Now if we could force the rest of the world to sit down and listen we might be able to get somewhere.

I also want to thank you for welcoming me to ATS. Im glad to be able to finally post, and not just read.

I honestly wish we had more members like you join so we could have civilized discussions about sensitive topics without it devolving into a mud-slinging competition by the third response! It is unbelievably frustrating to try to discuss topics like this one when others resort to name-calling rather than actually trying to have a discussion.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Not quite sure if that was a response to me or not, but either way I'll clarify what I meant. I wasn't saying that we should let other countries starve, however if we can't afford to take care of those who are in need in our own country then we shouldn't be trying to take care of other countries children. I'm all for helping out people who need it, but not at the expense of those who need help here. You wouldn't feed your neighbor's kids while your own were starving, right? I see this as the same thing, just on a grander scale.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienj
reply to post by OWoutcast

We bicker because of the ignorance of people, your post showed that. I hate to get personal but the image you created of your mythical Indians you know so much about is false. I grew up in the middle of the 5 civilized tribes and being one myself I can attest to the fact that your concocted story is an out right lie, yes you might find one or two that hate white people that much but your going to find that in any culture. There are whites that hate whites. The first thing that native Americans want is for the ignorance of people like yourself to stop, second live up to the treaty's you signed with us, my god you guys got the Whole US, just live you to the treaties, third and last LET US MANAGE ARE OWN MONEY, we don't need Uncle Sam to be our banker anymore. We can pay ourselves to manage our own money. I could care less what war you thought we lost, if you want to boast about genocide then go ahead but keep your ignorance off of forum pages and try spending more time in a history book or looking beyond the racial stereotypes that John Wayne stuck in your head.

[edit on 5-8-2008 by alienj]

There are 7 Reservations where I live and all my life lived just outside of a few of them. My grandma taught school on the indian reservations, she was a special ed teacher. Every school I went to we played schools from the reservation in sports. If you won the game and you where playing in there town you better get out before nightfall if you where white. I grew up around it and I am still around it. I have nothing against natives I just go off what I have seen first hand or heard directly from peoples mouths.

So yeah I know nothing and problem never meet a native and it's all a lie in your logic. I don't know where you are from but I have learned that reservations are different and so are the natives depending on where where they are in the country this not the first time I have had this arguement.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Imagine how all blacks would lives would be now if our fore fathers would have gave every black freed slave at least one acre of land w/trees on it/near water, 5lbs of grain, seeds, one shot gun with ammo, two mules, a chicken+rooster, freedom to receive unlimited education, fair voting, true equal protection by law and farming/building tools. I think they deserve reparations. They did build up and cultivate this country.

[edit on 24-6-2010 by alove4you]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

well with any luck, 50 years from now our grandkids can ask for reparations for this!

Hey its our turn now for free money!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Now imagine how all blacks and native Americans lives would be now if our fore fathers would have gave every black freed slave and native at least one acre of land w/trees on it/near water, 5lbs of grain, seeds, one shot gun with ammo, two mules, a chicken+rooster, freedom to receive unlimited education, fair voting, true equal protection by the law and farming/building tools. The early settlers got all that and more. And their descendants are still reaping the benefits. I think they deserve reparations. The native did settle this country first and blacks did build and cultivate this country. (e.g. @ blacks built homes, roadways, railroads, and cropland:The White House and all of Down South) and (e.g. @native Americans: all of up North and the coastal plains all settled nicely by natives first)

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by alove4you

Unconstitutional and will never happen.

Move on to more important and realistic stuff to worry about.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
stranger things have happened so, don't be surprised if it does.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by alove4you
Now imagine how all blacks and native Americans lives would be now if our fore fathers would have gave every black freed slave and native at least one acre of land w/trees on it/near water, 5lbs of grain, seeds, one shot gun with ammo, two mules, a chicken+rooster, freedom to receive unlimited education, fair voting, true equal protection by the law and farming/building tools. The early settlers got all that and more. And their descendants are still reaping the benefits. I think they deserve reparations. The native did settle this country first and blacks did build and cultivate this country. (e.g. @ blacks built homes, roadways, railroads, and cropland:The White House and all of Down South) and (e.g. @native Americans: all of up North and the coastal plains all settled nicely by natives first)

"The early settlers got all that and more"?

Source please.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Yes, land grants, find gold, round cattle and horses, store credit for foods and clothes and freedom to settle occupied lands of natives, etc. Hell, just watch two three westerns, Little House on the Prairie, and a Roots episode. LOL
All based on fact/true occurrences.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Actual sources:

www.lib.lsu.edu...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com...

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:hXCEVgbTgnoJ:www.teachingushistory.org/lessons/col_his_bg_notes.html+EARLY+WHITE+SETTLERS+IN+AMER ICA%2BLAND+GRANTS+AND+FREEDOM&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If this goes forward, I hope that they make people prove that their ancestors actually suffered at the hands of the US during the historical slavery period. There are many black people here today who do not come from ancestors who were here in the US during the historical slavery period and therefore should not qualify for reparations from the US. There are many black people whose ancestors came to America after slavery had been abolished and should therefor be ineligible for slave reparations.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by alove4you

Yes, land grants, find gold, round cattle and horses, store credit for foods and clothes and freedom to settle occupied lands of natives, etc. Hell, just watch two three westerns, Little House on the Prairie, and a Roots episode. LOL
All based on fact/true occurrences.

What passes for an education these days - getting your history lessons from TV westerns ...

Don't get me wrong because I love westerns but
- really?

Instead of those historically inaccurate 30 minute shows, how about trying a movie like How the West Was Won, or Open Range for something more modern. Also, try some books, or better yet, actually visit some historical places in the West. I live right in the middle of the Comstock, for example, with real history I can see and touch in every direction - and none of it is like Little House on the Prairie ...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Yes, this subject has been posted to death, but here goes another time.

First, none one any of us knows was ever a slave.

And no one any of us knows ever owned a slave.

How to fairly choose who would get reparations since many blacks came to this country AFTER the Civil War?

How to fairly choose who would pay for reparations since very many whites also came to this country AFTER the Civil War?

And of course, very many of the whites that lived here during and before the Civil War had NOTHING to do with slavery, so how do you fairly penalize their descendants?

Bottom line is that any attempt to logically think this issue through shows that there is no way it could be fairly implemented.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Imagine how the lives of all blacks would be if THEIR OWN PEOPLE had not sold them into slavery to start with .

Their own people were selling and trading slaves amongst the native tribes of africa long before the slave trades of which you are speaking of .

And , don't even get me started on the ownership of the slave ships .

And , by the way , Obama's ancestors owned slaves . Will dig up a link for you , if you desire .

Pretty much every race of people on this planet has gone into slavery at one time or another in their history , it is not exclusive to black people .

None of my ancestors owned slaves .

NO REPARATIONS .

[edit on 24-6-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I need sources for this one. Liberia, Africa is composed of some freed Americanized slave descendants post civil-war. But, I can't see African people coming to a country to get discriminated against and terrorized. Not to mention no jobs and no housing. That's just insane.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I was kidding..Jeeeez.. No, Really I did post some sources that you may find accurate. But, did you take any U.S. history college classes? That's where I got alot of my knowledge and the rest from independent research. BTW I would to travel around the U.S. and conduct research. Maybe I'll check on some government funding through a grants.gov. Ahhhh...the possibilities are endless.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join