It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Raising The Minimum Wage & Stop Whining

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Get real Kid the thing is id like them to come and tell you that your job is gone cause they are going to mexico for cheap labor... Id also then like to see you run to the unemployment office and ask to draw unemployment and for them to tell ya tough luck its your own fault. A lot of people have given years of their life to companys and had this happen.

Your problem is you probably always had someone bail you out.

This country was built on hard labor pal. I know alot of educated people who are dumbasses. Anyone with a average IQ can get a college degree if they want it.

You guys cry about minimium wage bringing the cost of things up. What is really bringing the cost of things up is OUR greedy ass politicians and corrupt business men. We have a president in office now laughing all the way to the bank along with his oil tycoon buddies.

Here is how it goes down in some work places.. Hey your a good employee, you do a great job. You will get a 50 cent raise sorry its all we can afford.

Then the boss goes gets in his 100 k porsche

I dont think people should get handouts and sit on their ass.. I think they should get educated and improve their life.. BUT you have to give them enough money while they are working low end jobs so they can get by while they are educating themselfs!!!!!!

[edit on 24-7-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

[edit on 24-7-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SRTkid86

you think Wally world is going to start paying all their employees 8/hour and keep rolling back prices?

Umm.. actually the starting wage for an overnight stocker at Walmart is higher than that, and most employees make at least $9/hour or more after being there 6 months. The new minimum wage will not affect them.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Solarskye

........ at $5.85 working 40hrs a week, a person can expect to earn $234 a week, or $936 a month, a total of $11,223 a year.

This falls below the US Standard for Poverty.

Average rent in a run down ghetto area in town in the US is around $550 a month.

$386 left over......
Assuming this person owns a car, the car payments and insurance (as the state forces people to buy corporate insurance........) would be about $150 (assuming it's a POS car and they don't owe much on it.. of course, car breaks down they are out of a job...)

$236 left....

Average 80-100 a WEEK on food..

Oh snap. Can't eat.

maybe roman noodles. But i though, in America, we where better then that.

Inflation is around 15% or hirer depending on the source, and the minimum wage has only recently risen since Clinton era?

Disgusting.

It should reside around $7-$8 an hour, depending on the cost of living in the city you live. Perhaps Solar, you have never seen with your own eyes the squalor some people live in ... not homeless people... but people with families and children who sleep on the floor of a one room flat because the minimum wage is all they can earn.

This is the point the Ritch and well over middle class..can't get

people that actually make this minimum wage...barely scrap by.

And some people was not fortune enough in life to have a college education.
and some even quit high school to work job's..to support there family at age 16.

6.55 a hour..
gallon of milk 5 dollar's....OMG!!!!! they worked 1 hour of there life for a gallon of milk..and got change back lol
stop minimum wage raises now!!!!
outrage outrage!!!!!!!!

a can of baby similac cost for a infant cost's 30 dollar's....

Btw.. i buy 2 24 pack's of the shrimp ramen noodle's every month..
money is tight.

God I hate rich people.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

i will sub to the tread and check back later.

but IMO, being taken advantage of can be blamed as much on the person who allowed themselve to be taken advantag as you can blame the oppotunistic person who took advantage.

I agree with a lot of things said in this thread, on both sides of the fence. i would prefer to see people place more focus on education, and real world job training, then damanding more pay. after all, if you apply yourself and go to school (even if you are just going back to school to get your diploma) you will be opening doors for yourself to make it. the world is evolving, and being educated is very important these days.

what i would like to see, rather than wage increases, is a form of free "higher education." Not necassarily a state college but a cheap/free community learning center where you can go, after high school, and get the training and knowlege that is required to suceed in today's society.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 7/24/08 by SRTkid86]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SRTkid86

you said apply yourself and go to school.

if your a poor lower class American family..
most are forced to quit around age 16 to work public job's to help support there family's.
these are the people that need and have to have this minimum wage man.

not to mention..the poor man work's for the same company..20 year's..doing a certain job.
some kid 25 out of college becomes his supervisor.

ironic huh..
experience vs a book

personally id take experience over the book smart kid.
but companies wont...
thus they stay poor man..6.55 aint gonna break America.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

im on the verge of loosing my job, i work in a luxury industry, and this recession may very well take us under. but i won't be collecting unemployment unless i just don't have a choice. FYI unemployment is paid for by the company that you lost your job with, not the gov't.

the key word in what your said is "if they WANT to." the problem is they don't want to because the gov't has taught them that don't need to. and now they are forced to take lower wages, because they didn't take it upon themselve to secure their future prosperity.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime
and some even quit high school to work job's..to support there family at age 16.

God I hate rich people.

Who ever said you have to have a College Degree? I know many people that don't and are very rich, But they worked their butts off to get where they are at. They did not accept working other than themselfs.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by 38181]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

education is not always the answer. remember when das newt wanted to make every one an entrepeneur? that would not work out either. no why? there is always some one who must sweep up, fix something, clean, cook etc...
these people need to live, don't they?
and do not forget that one can have a good job, "oops, sorry, we had to downsize and your job is moving to india as well." and as some before said, then the ceo gets a massive pay out.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yeah......obviously just excuses to not help those in need , from the well off spolied people.

Yea you worked to better yourself. But have you left your nice home to visit these retards. Imagine your moma cant speak correct english. Daddy is pounding on you. THe whole world calls u "Nothing"

Learn a bit about psychology. What we think we become. They believe they are nothing and cant even add or subtract. Sorry man, but they see no hope and I can see why.

Would u work for 6.5 an hour in a burger king drive thru. I cant fathom that. PRestigious jobs are much eaiser. I couldnt mentally handle such a monotonous job that rots my brain. Id kill myself. THe people who do those jobs are stronger than college kids my friend, in some ways.

Its all a distraction from the real issue. THe elite holding onto trillions of dollars, creating the illusion there isnt enough money. And the rich egomaniacs who cant see their interconnectedness to all people.

I mean seriously...Buying a painting for 65 million dollars vs using that to provide for thousands of suffering people. If u dont understand the stupidity of that and insanity u r retarded. They will feel guilty when they awaken to who they are and realize they wasted that money (energy) on dead material vs highly evolved beings that have the potential of a buddha.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The thing is i agree with you.. People should get educated and take things into their own hands and improve themselfs. Im not arguing about a welfare check or handouts. Im arguing that hard working people should get paid enough to get by reguardless of education.

Uneducated hard working people should get paid enough to live on.

You do not agree with this?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

sorry, i was wrong with the wages. it was more meant for example purposes than anything.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beforetime

you're right, it's very sad in a lot of instances. when someone busts their hump for a company and gets over looked for a promotion, just because he didn't have the same advantages as the person who went to school.

but these days there are a lot of opportunties for people to be able to go back to school for free/very cheaply. and while there are a lot of people who aren't in a position to do that, there are a lot of people who are, and just don't because it's easier at times to bust your ass for peanuts and complain all the way to the bank when they are cashing their checks at money box, because they don't understand the value of a bank account.

as much as you can blame poverty on #ty and biased economic conditions. it can also be blamed on people who often times simply don't want to try hard, because they think they will get bailed out by the fed.

as with last thread about a very similar topic, i don't have any anomosity towards someone struggling to make ends meet, i just don't like the whiners who have every chance to make things better, but they don't

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

TPTB want to remove the middle class and send most jobs over seas so that all the poor will be forced in a way to join the military so they can continue thier world domination of peoples and resources.

that is factzorz

we need NESARA or soemthing like it and remove all the traitors from government ASAP.
www.nesara.us...

take care

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne

education is not always the answer. remember when das newt wanted to make every one an entrepeneur? that would not work out either. no why? there is always some one who must sweep up, fix something, clean, cook etc...
these people need to live, don't they?
and do not forget that one can have a good job, "oops, sorry, we had to downsize and your job is moving to india as well." and as some before said, then the ceo gets a massive pay out.

i am not entirely sure on the quote/reply to rules in this forum, but i quoted because i wanted to reply to a few points in this post.

but education IS the answer, and it NEVER hurts to educated... remember what they would say on the after school specials all the time.... "knowlege is power" the smarter you are, the more capable you will be of making intelligent thought out decisions in your life. therefore allowing you more opporunity to succeed in life.

the people who are meant to flip burgers and scrub bus stop toilets are high school kids who are just making some money to go out and have fun over the weekend. those are not the kind of jobs that are intended to gainfully employ an adult, or enable them to support a family. they just aren't there for that... the only reason people work in those jobs, is because something happened in their life where they couldn't complete their education, or they lacked the drive to be better than one of those jobs. I would never personally take one of those jobs, because even when i was in highschool, i always thought myself to be worth more, or worthy of more than that.

they do need to live, but being alive does not entitle you to a comfortable care free life, when has it EVER been like that? if your answer to that is never, then why is it all of a sudden that people think that being alive DOES entitle you to a comfortable, care free life? i think it has a lot to do with people letting the government get out of control, and so rediculously HUGE.

i have a motto that i like to live by when it comes to helping people out (and i may sound like a dickhead but i am a very nice person, who would give the shirt off my back if i knew it would make someone more comfortable.) it is:

"I am here to give you a helping hand, not a hand out."

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
"I am here to give you a helping hand, not a hand out."

Whenever someone is working for their money rather they have a 4 year degree, phd, ged, etc they are not getting a hand out.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

i never said they were, but getting a raise in wages for nothing is what i call a handout...

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beforetime

Originally posted by Rockpuck

........ at $5.85 working 40hrs a week, a person can expect to earn $234 a week, or $936 a month, a total of $11,223 a year.

This falls below the US Standard for Poverty.

Average rent in a run down ghetto area in town in the US is around $550 a month.

$386 left over......
Assuming this person owns a car, the car payments and insurance (as the state forces people to buy corporate insurance........) would be about $150 (assuming it's a POS car and they don't owe much on it.. of course, car breaks down they are out of a job...)

$236 left....

Average 80-100 a WEEK on food..

Oh snap. Can't eat.

maybe roman noodles. But i though, in America, we where better then that.

Inflation is around 15% or hirer depending on the source, and the minimum wage has only recently risen since Clinton era?

Disgusting.

It should reside around $7-$8 an hour, depending on the cost of living in the city you live. Perhaps Solar, you have never seen with your own eyes the squalor some people live in ... not homeless people... but people with families and children who sleep on the floor of a one room flat because the minimum wage is all they can earn.

This is the point the Ritch and well over middle class..can't get

people that actually make this minimum wage...barely scrap by.

6.55 a hour..
gallon of milk 5 dollar's....OMG!!!!! they worked 1 hour of there life for a gallon of milk..and got change back lol
stop minimum wage raises now!!!!
outrage outrage!!!!!!!!

a can of baby similac cost for a infant cost's 30 dollar's....

Btw.. i buy 2 24 pack's of the shrimp ramen noodle's every month..
money is tight.

God I hate rich people.

See my post above. There are so many entitlements available that some of these people live pretty good. One of the Single moms we know was actually given a CAR by a local church. Not a crappy POS either, a 2005 chevy impala!!!
Alot of these people were born into this system and know how to work it for everything they can get.

edit: actually my post is on page 2.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by coop039]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
reply to post by nixie_nox

You all make some great points.

[edit on 7/24/2008 by Solarskye]

I agree w/ this. There have been some good points brought to this discussion that have forced me to reevaluate how I think on this subject. seems to me that this is one of those things that we, as a society, need to figure out. Having a system that can be taken advantage of is not good, but also having a system that is fair to all those who work hard is vital to the wellbeing of this country.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
OK Srt answer me this.

You own a business you do fairly well. A guy is working for you he is a hard worker and loyal as a dog. He has been working for you for a few years.

Honest , hard working, dependable. Only thing is he is uneducated. But he really doesnt need a degree to do his job.

You pay him 7 bucks a hour. Well his wife ends up getting pregnant and he asks you for a 2 dollar raise. The economy is struggling some and he is. He cant find another job because noone is hiring.

You can afford it but it would drop you down from a 100 K Mercedes to a 90 K Mercedes..

What would you do?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join