It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Raising The Minimum Wage & Stop Whining

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

Uh, they can join the military.

Life isn't fair, and it isn't a function of government to make it that way.

If someone is unhappy with their wage, they are more than welcome to find a different employer, open their own business, or suck it up and learn the necessary job skills to make more money.

Minimum wage was never meant to be a "living wage", it is entry level and nothing more.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Yes life isnt fair. But its self centered people (not saying no names) that make the world that much harder. People only care for themselfs and dont think about what other people are going through.. As long as it doesnt effect me @#$# the rest of them.

I always wished i could play God sometimes and press a button and put the person who is arguing againist a situation in that situation and see if their outlook changed. I bet 99% of the time it would.

Thats one reason the world is so screwed up now cause of people with your outlook.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Touchy topic, but in reality it is true, it needs to stop. Something needs to stop. It is nothing but a political move in reality. It does nothing for the economy or the workers.

If we lived in a perfect world, wages would always go up and the cost of things would never change, but it doesn't.

Unskilled people can find work that pays more than minimum wage in most cases. The people working these jobs are typically looking for some spending money while they live with parents or at school etc.

If you want to raise a family, you need to be prepared. Its common sense to budget. People never do though.....

I won't be starting a family in my financial circumstances and I am not on minimum wage.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Been there done that, Made minimum wage when I was 16. There is no excuse for an adult in the U.S. to be making minimum wage.

I made 4.25 an hour at my first job. I realized that it sucked, and promised myself I would never make that low of an amount ever again.

Know what? I havent since. I made sure I had marketable job skills and made employers want to pay me more. Eventually I said screw you to all employers and opened my own business.

No college whatsoever.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

And im sure you like all the others in this thread who claim they are doing so great never had any help..

Im sure noone ever cut you a break, im sure a bank never loaned you money, Im sure you did it 100% on your own and noone helped you one bit right?

Your right no adult should be making minimum wage. And no teenager out of highschool should have to work for 5.75 a hour for multi billion dollar corporations who have money out the ass.

After taxes their is nothing left to live off of

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The outlook would look pretty good if people would treat their selfs better and stop depending on government to bail them out. I'm not saying that everyone on minimum wage is not trying harder, heck even some posters on here said they did OK working minimum wage because they saved and make good choices. If you really want to do well then be smart and save money even if it's a dollar a day or the change you have left from the day. I have yet to see a newspaper that didn't have high skilled jobs available for hire and it's amazing how so many people are coming across the border and getting all the construction jobs, fast food restaurant job etc... I don't hear them complaining.

[edit on 7/24/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Don't really agree with your standpoint, but recession is recession and that is that and that is not a time for extravagant rises, rich and poor alike.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I agree with you but the minimum wage hasnt been raised in over 10 years. 16 year olds today deserve more than $5.85 an hour - most everyone else is already making over the new minimum wage so this is a non issue.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yes they come over here and take jobs and companys move over their for cheaper labor.

I believe a person should be paid a certain amount.

An employee working full-time at the federal minimum wage makes $10,712 a year. About 7% of the workforce earns a minimum wage.

Growing income inequality harms this nation in a number of ways, When income growth is concentrated at the top of the income scale, the people at the bottom have a much harder time lifting themselves out of poverty and giving their children a decent start in life.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

........ at $5.85 working 40hrs a week, a person can expect to earn $234 a week, or $936 a month, a total of $11,223 a year.

In Ohio, minimum wage is $7.00.

I live on the east side of High Street (middle of Columbus) a little off of Ohio State campus(15th and Summit area). My neighborhood is primarily students mixed in with other low income families. I pay $300 a month for rent and cover all expenses, including school(and as some likely know Ohio State is an expensive public school even if tuition is payed for). I have no student loans. When I am in school (summer now) I go full time, work a 35 hour/week job and another 20 hour/week job(both jobs require little training... i.e. entry level). On top of this, I am in the Air National Guard and I have to balance duties and deployments within this.

What I am trying to say is 40 hours a week is nothing. I consider anyone who works 40 hours or less as barely employed or very fortunate.

Lazy people work BS jobs at 40 hours a week, while determined people work longer hours at BS jobs just to pay for the education to better themselves. I work a BS job merely as a means to an end, but to others, that is their end.

I do not feel sorry for people who have no drive to do better for themselves or their families. I do feel sorry for the children caught up in this combine, and I feel sorry they have to cope with government 'programs' (sinkholes). I would gladly donate food/supplies/my time to these kids, but the government insists on paying their parents, as well as a line of bureaucrats who think they know how to spend my money.

The market should determine wages. When the government gets involved with the economy, you get Frankie Mac and Fannie Mae(the 'F' is the FEDERAL part).

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You are a superhero. Everyone should work more than 40 hours a week. No, 24 hours a day. Anything less is lazy.

Come on.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 38181
Every time they raise minimun wage, people loose there jobs.

Why?

Ask the small business owner who is struggling to pay their employees in the first place!

I own a small business with 7 employees in CA, our minimum wage is $8/hr! With all the taxes I have to match, worker comp, insurances and the plethora of other CA state, county and city fees we barely break even, some months I don't even pay myself!! it is beyond obvious that the gov't want us small businesses gone. If it were not for all the matching of taxes, fees, etc...I might be able to give them a bit more and stay in business, honestly any more increases and I will not have a choice but to lay off. Of course the economy isn't helping matters AND there are more state and federal audits now than EVER! It's disheartening. They will cite you for anything and the citations are expensive!! I'll say it again, the gov't seems to be doing all they can do to get small businesses to go away.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Way to go DINSTAAR.
It's hard work and you're right about the forty hours. To many people work forty hours and spend the weekend spending 20 hours of that in the bar. It comes down to parenting too. I hope I'm doing a good job. My kids are very repectful and my oldest boy 11 years young mows yards around the neighborhood and buys his own games, skateboard etc... I hope he keeps up the good work ethic. He also does his chores. Keep up the determination DINSTAAR>

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
To the OP, I understand where you are coming from. I understand that people should get an education instead of relying on the minimum wage to go up to live on. But you do have to understand, regarding the person with 6 kids, maybe it wasn't her choice to have six kids, maybe her husband is abusive and rapes her, thus the 6 kids, thus not her choice. You should remember that not every marriage or relationship is civil and equal. There are people out there that do this and has have this happened to them. For those people who are vicitms, they feel like they have no choice, they stay with their partner because they are either scared or they financially depend on them. I feel like everyone does need college education to survive, but for many they don't have the money to go to college or maybe their parents have died or are not allowed to work and they have to support their family. There are reasonable reasons why these things happen to people. Coming from a person that lives in Hawaii, I think our minimum wage is $7.25 or $7.50, and with gasoline prices so high, people are stuggling. At 22 years old, I have an Associates Degree, with half of my Bachelors finished, I feel like I have more education and experience then others do that are out there in the workforce and within the past 6 months I have not been able to find a job. I have applied to over 30 jobs, and with my experience and education I haven't gotten one yet. With response to the minimum wage, when the minimum wage goes up, everything else goes up, thus the minimum wage goes up, and thus the vicious circle. I don't want it to seem like I am attacking the OP, I just want to shed some light from my opinion.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Uh, they can join the military.

Life isn't fair, and it isn't a function of government to make it that way.

If someone is unhappy with their wage, they are more than welcome to find a different employer, open their own business, or suck it up and learn the necessary job skills to make more money.

Minimum wage was never meant to be a "living wage", it is entry level and nothing more.

It's that simple...agree 100%!!

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I never got a loan from a bank. I despise the American banking system and in my entire life, I have only ever had a checking account that I currently use for business needs and nothing else.

Since you want people to make so much, why don't you open your own business and pay people triple the minimum wage while still managing to operate at a profit?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

Why does someone with zero job skills "deserve" more than $5.85 per hour?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiigurl

All your opinions are welcome here.
I want and need the input about this subject. I know there are victims out there that struggle with marriage, divorce, rape etc... I just want people to stand up and say no to poverty and yes to working their way up with determination and passion. I see and read about these heart breaking stories that have good endings because the victim never gave up and took their own stand to make their life better. It just seems that the government keeps stacking one problem on top of another and none of them are being fixed. Get the Fair tax here in America and move corporations back to the states and quit spending billions on tax returns and all the other wasted time it takes to figure out your taxes. The tax code is a million pages thick and it's ruined America.

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
so the OP believes a higher education is the solution. Lets assume everybody gets higher education, then please tell me who would clean toilets?
life appears so simple for you right, where can people get an education when they cant even afford to feed themselves?

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

If a dollar or 2 raise is gonna kill your business you are in the wrong business.. MAYBE your business just sucks..

Maybe you cant pay your employees cause instead of driving a 20K car you gotta drive a 60K car instead of a 250K house you want a million dollar house.

Maybe people owning these business and cant afford to pay their help a decent salary are living beyond their means??? hmmm

Sorry if you cant afford help dont open a business. Unless its one you can run yourself or with a few others.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join