It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by QueenofWeird

You were surprisingly accurate. I am surprised that I have conveyed much of what you said in my posts. That was an impressive bit of insight there.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
An interesting side note...

On another forum I visit, I thought it would be funny to use a David Hasslehoff Avatar. It looks dirty, but it is just a picture of the hoff spawning off of his spedo, not what your mind tricks it into seeing.

The forum is "karma" based, which is kind of like our "star" system, except this forum keeps a running total of your karma. So, before I used the hoff avatar, I had a total of somewhere around +10 karma. Then I changed to the hoff and within a week I was at -6.

I barely even posted during that period of time. The avatar completely changed peoples opinion of me. I took it down after the little experiment and I am back up to +6. So, it was an interesting example of how people are affected by an avatar. Also, it is funny how sensitive college football fans are to something that may question their sexuality.

Either way, I thought it was pretty funny.

I posted the image in question in my comments section of my profile if anyone is curious about what it looked like.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
is it me or is this thread a bit too strange, avatars are avatars, nothing more. how about the people with no avatars? to be honest with all those weird avatars everywhere, one ends his judgments on members based on their avatars. but i'll say this, whats more important than the absurd looking avatars are the signatures which really tells u something.
P.S: the one thing an avatar's role should be is to inform u whether that person is male or female, yet no one follows that.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

P.S: the one thing an avatar's role should be is to inform u whether that person is male or female, yet no one follows that.

I'm just curious as to why knowing someones gender here is important? I suppose for myself it doesn't matter whether or not you are male or female, I will treat you with the same amount of respect and tact that I would like to be treated with myself. Its how you conduct yourself here in the forums that should matter the most, not what gender you are.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

you are right its not important but sometimes i refer to people in a casual way that might imply that im talking to a guy when in fact its a woman, so i later end up discovering my mistake. i would like to know the gender only for language purposes nothing more.

and avatars should express to us who that person is, and one of the most important characteristic is whether that person is male or female, unless ur both then thats another story, but seriously why do pple want to hide their gender?

plus most females that visit this site think this site is pre-dominantly male especially since its a conspiracy site so they might be turned off by it. wont it be better to show that its not.

[edit on 17-7-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone can figure me out....
....I'm gunna go ahead and say, probably not. But hey, some of you seem to have a hidden talent.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
What does having NO avatar say about you?

Besides the obvious that you suck at making avatars.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hi (((IllusionsareGrander))) I heart you, but I don't know what to say... um Female about 40. (only because you are so worldly wise). Counselor? likes cats. Good with plants and people in general. tea drinker. I would bet your avi if you had one would be pretty.

Dev~ I will go ahead and say male about 35. Likes modern things as opposed to antiques. seriously I have no clue.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
People without avatars either:

a) don't know how to get the avatar up
b) on a slow connection and hate everything over 1 kb
c) uber rebel

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I don't know why, but I think you and I look good next to each other Dulcimer. I can't imagine not having an avatar. There are so many things out there to decorate ourselves with. I change mine often on all my forums.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yeah, I wish I had chosen a better screenname now. But I chose sc2099 and didn't have an avatar because I wanted to be anonymouse, due to the potentially negative ramifications this site could have on my reputation (LOL). Haha, it does seem ridiculous now. But I will say that the SC stands for Sarah Connor, the character in the Terminator movies, which ties into my 'No Fate' signature - her unofficial motto.

I'm so glad you think my personality shines through though!
I like the keep the avatar as something funny. I'm sure I will end up changing it frequently because that's just the kind of girl I am.

Was I right about you poring over a desk cluttered with papers and rare books? Tall, slim, dark haired, occasional glasses?

reply to post by Striker122

Some right and some wrong. I'm actually American - I immigrated to Canada. I'm 24 and female, and I'm half Latin/half Caucasian. However, all the charming, extroverted, humorous, beer loving, and married parts are true

I'll analyze you but I need to know first, is that a real pic of you in your avatar? I hope so (rawr)

reply to post by seagrass

Hey did you see my analysis of you a few pages back?

[edit on 7/17/2008 by sc2099]

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
no!! where where.... what page.... I will go look..

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

No one's done you yet so I will.

Soft spoken white male. Middle height, slim. Enjoys coffee, possibly smokes. Studious and curious. You are often lost in thought, sometimes seeming aloof. People might think you're unfriendly but you're really just thinking about something very deeply and didn't notice that you bumped into them or didn't hold the door for them. You live in an urban area and like to take solitary walks.

Am I close?

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

It's on page 16 in my first post

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
People without avatars either:
c) uber rebel

I have been here since 04.. almost 4 yrs.. I still have yet to change my avator.. or anything on my left side...

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099

It's on page 16 in my first post

Lmao! When I was 15 I rode on the back of a Goldwing motorcyle to Santa Cruz, slept on the beach and had to have my mom wire me some money. Bought Burkinstocks before it was in to wear them. But it was just a phase. Yes! I live in the woods. I drive the most common vehicle around here. A white Ford Explorer. Even my friends don't recognize me now. I drove my last car (a red version of same) for 15 years before it caught on fire because mice had decided they liked it too. I do wear sandals. Aren't peasant skirts out? I gotta go rechink my log cabin, back later....

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
reply to post by Dulcimer

Soft spoken white male. Middle height, slim. Enjoys coffee, possibly smokes. Studious and curious. You are often lost in thought, sometimes seeming aloof. People might think you're unfriendly but you're really just thinking about something very deeply and didn't notice that you bumped into them or didn't hold the door for them. You live in an urban area and like to take solitary walks.

Am I close?

I am a soft spoken white male who is 5 foot 9 and slim. I don't drink coffee, I have never smoked. I am a stud for sure! Very curious

I am quite out of my mind, very correct. People who think I am unfriendly are correct.

I currently live on a farm though. I hate going outside and I run on a treadmill.

Close enough for me!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Haha, everything I said I meant in the most endearing way possible and I laughed as I wrote it. You just seem so nice and good natured and uncomplicated that I knew you had to live in the woods and live your life in an uncomplicated way, unhindered by the things that drag most people down. An eternal optimist.

Which brings me to Dulcimer:

I assumed you live in the city because you do seem complicated. I guess I was just trying to compile an image of someone who strikes me as complex. I mean it in a good way, of course.

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I guess I was wrong yet again, since I said you liked modern things.. live on a farm in North Texas.. How do you like them big ol bugs? I used to live in Austin. Scorpions in my shower every damn morning!!

posted on Jul, 17 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Good job Seagrass, but not a counselor, an industrial plumber/heavy equipment operator with a degree in Philosophy.

And for Dulcimer, it is a) dont know how to get one up.

You guys are uncanny.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join