It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge a book (or a member) by its cover

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Yesterday, I was surprised to learn that Nefermore was not a woman. It kind of made me realize that I form mental images of members based off of their posting, but as it turns out largely on their Avatar.

It made me curious as to what degree other people do this. I know that when I meet someone I always make a snap judgement on them, but when you meet someone face to face you can use their image, mannerisms, eye contact...etc to base your judgement, here we are forced to create mental images from text and random photos. Also, it fascinates me how peoples own self image can be so different from how other people view them. I am curious if that translates to the internet as well.

So the point of this thread is to say what your mental image or initial judgement of the other contributors is. Ideally, what your image of the poster above you is. The subject of you judgement can then say if you are close or not, revealing only what they want to.

Since I am first, I am curious if anyone has any pre concieved notions about me.

(I am honestly not trying to be vain here and it won't surprise me if this ends up buried in the land of misfit threads)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Okay, here goes...

From your posts, I perceive you to be a realist. Your avatar leads me to think your realistic perspective inclines you to feel depressed or helpless about the current state of things. However, your posts also reveal you to be very smart, so you persevere dispite the world around you. Essentially you are concerned but hopeful, despite Javier's tragic expression.
Which is likely just an outward expression of your inner rage against the machine.

[edit on 16/7/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

From your avatar I'd say you're either a corporate junkie, or you think corporations are the root of all evil.

As for Karl: I hate your avatar becasue I hated that creepy guy from the movie. When I see your posts I always cringe!

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Well, thank you for the kind words.

I think you were fairly close to the mark. I'm not too sure about the "very smart" part, but..... Certainly hit the mark on the realist, although I am a glass is half empty realist. I do persevere partly out of a morbid curiosity but primarily out of love for my family.

Now, intially I thought you were a man mainly based off of the Jack part of Kosmicjack. That was a while ago though.

(your write up was very good, now I feel pressure to perform....
)

I would say you are mid 30's to mid 40's and you are fed up with the current state of affairs. Based off of some of your posts and your "Mom Bot" I assume that you really love your children and fear for their future.

*not as deep, but I also picture you as fairly tall with brown hair.

What is weird is that as I type my impressions of you, I realize how much projecting I am doing... It is hard to avoid.

Thanks for the contribution.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Karlhungis: The (illusory) mental image I create about you when seeing your avatar is that of some urban shaman, tough and self-confident but easy going in spirit.

Kosmickjack I see as some anti-establishment woman, dark long hair, maybe glasses.

I know its all nonsense...but hey, thats the images we create.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

From Merigold's avatar I see a liberal minded Brit that likes to take shots at Tony Blair and of course good ole' GWB. I see flowers in the ends of rifles and a tolerance and understanding of all humans that walk this planet.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Generally, since the avatar is the most visual bit we get from people on forums, I do make a more than fair share of judgements based on them.
For instance, and don't take offense at this, but when someone uses something other than their own work, or even photoshoped pics, or a commisioned pic from someonelike I'm a Marty, I do start out thinking a little less of them than I normally would,
Not that I stick with that idea, but it's what I get first off.
If you want someone who seems to get vibes off of avatars, check with ExtrAlien.
But, to be honest, i'm the same way with nicknames to. I like to see original stuff, not Superdestroyer1337 or something. But again, if they set themselves aside from it, it's cool.
Heck, some people seem toset up accounts so they can show of their cool user name or avatar, it seems.
But you want a avatar I really have a problem with? Ever seen Asala's? I have tokeep reminding myself she's a mod.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
This thread is going to burn.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Merigold, I see you as a middle aged Brittish woman, similar to Beckers vision.

Becker: Well, I haven't really seen many of your posts, but based off of your avatar and your sig, I see you as being 30ish with a good sense of humor and respect for the greatest movie of our generation.

And a beer drinker.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Not too bad Karlhungis. Actually 47 male and no beer. I'm allergic to alcohol (even Nyquil and Rum cake) and I can clearly state I have NEVER been drunk in my life. Doing some quick calculations I figure I have saved $42,562 by not buying/drinking alcohol. Now where the hell did that money go?

You seem to be a deep thinker with a touch of darkness in there. I'm guessing late 20's perhaps 30. A guy who is prepared at all times and is not a big fan of being suprised by something.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I remember Beckers old baseball-avatar which always reminded me of the nice rural new england boy.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I picture you as someone educated, in their late 30's - early 40's. Again, with brown hair for some reason.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

Again, I was projecting. You would not believe the amount of alcohol that I have consumed while watching that movie. (Not a drinker any more though)

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Dark hair is correct. Age 33.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Interesting the effect that avatars and user names have on you. Obviously they effect everyone differently, so I don't think anyone will be offended by it.

Now you have me self conscious though.... Not only is my username not original, neither is my avatar. I am a double offender. Not to mention that my posts make Merigold queezy due to my avatar. I never even thought of that end of things when choosing them.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thanks for remebering Sky! That old avatar was Super Dave Osborne. do you remeber him? I am a New Englander and a baseball freak so you were right on with that assesment.

Sky you have always been one of my faves. Kinda like the logical one in a group. Clear thinker and not easily flustered.

Becker

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Thanks Becker. Looks like this is going to turn into somewhat of a "members appreciation thread".

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Damn...I need an image make-over! Tallish, yes. Dark hair but auburn-ish. Glasses only when I read for long periods. Anti-establishment? Hell yeah! But stealth, as I fight the system from within - by all outward appearances I'm a corporate-paid suburbanite soccer mom. But I change what I can. And yes, I hate corporate think and profit squeezing at the expense of fellow humans. I see it everyday.

Sky: I picture you as more of a concept than a person, very ethereal and hard to classify. But if I had to...40-ish, extremely well-read, refined, light brown hair with an inclination for travel and all things exotic.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Damn...I need an image make-over! Tallish, yes. Dark hair but auburn-ish. Glasses only when I read for long periods. Anti-establishment? Hell yeah! But stealth, as I fight the system from within - by all outward appearances I'm a corporate-paid suburbanite soccer mom. But I change what I can. And yes, I hate corporate think and profit squeezing at the expense of fellow humans. I see it everyday.

Yep, I ccould see you in business attire and not necessarily hanging out with the hippies in the park.

Sky: I picture you as more of a concept than a person, very ethereal and hard to classify. But if I had to...40-ish, extremely well-read, refined, light brown hair with an inclination for travel and all things exotic.

33 is the age. Travel, yes absolutely. Exotic, yes. "Etheral and hard to classify" is the type pf ploy I try to convey.

I think everyone has their Internet-Ploy.

[edit on 16-7-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Yesterday, I was surprised to learn that Nefermore was not a woman. It kind of made me realize that I form mental images of members based off of their posting, but as it turns out largely on their Avatar.

Hi Karlhungis, you are right about that, I had the same experience with another member but then the other way round.
And I was also in a way “mislead” by that members avatar.
The same I experienced with voices of persons that I heard regular on the phone.
I always created a sort of mental image of that person in relation with that voice, but when I meet them in person it was always total different from my earlier formed image.

Originally posted by Karlhungis
So the point of this thread is to say what your mental image or initial judgement of the other contributors is. Ideally, what your image of the poster above you is. The subject of you judgement can then say if you are close or not, revealing only what they want to.

It is for me almost impossible to do that because when I try to write something about the person above me and I am ready, there is already another one.
That is because my speed to make a reply is that of the speed of a very fast snail.
But when I want an impression about a member, I always go to his/her profile, look to the posted info, posted threads and replies and try to form me the most realistic image of that person.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join