It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APPLE (computers, ipods, iphones) is a SCAM and a GIANT RIPOFF

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

If image means more reliability based on a far superior and more user friendly interface, then yes, its all about image.

What a load. My macbook pro run Pro Tools LE at a far FARRRR better clip than my PC tower with close-to equivalent specs. Photoshop? Ditto. Reason? Ditto.

My 2 yr old macbook has an intuitive track pad that none of my family's new pc laptops have.
My 2 yr old macbook has never had a virus, my family's new laptops can't seem to update their AV software enough!

OSX is just a better experience than windows. Period. I don't need AV, I don't need to buy anything out of the box. Its all there.

You can put 2 machines with the EXACT same specs side by side.. and guess what? The one who's OS works with the hardware more efficiently will be faster.

I was an apple hater for a looooong loooong time, until I used one to record an album. I bought one 2 weeks later. I'll never go back unless they create something that costs less with the same experience.

Apple gives a crap about their customers' experience. That's why their OSX only runs on machines that they produce, so it is a universally positive experience.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Anyone here ever try Linux OS? I have been wanting to experiment with it for a while now. But I haven't really tried it yet. Any tips for those who have tried it?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
...That said, it's the rarity that makes them a very unattractive target for virus engineers. ...

There's so much wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to begin. So, I'll just leave it at this: The "rarity" of Macs have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the lack of viruses on that platform. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not know operating systems in any in-depth way.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
macs are not worth it but its not that apple is doing it on purpose. sony sells its computers cheaper because it can. macs are only big in America while sony owns the world. look at the xbox 360. sold well in the u.s. but did terrible in japan. i own an Hp and an alienware both running windows vista. yea the operating system has its faults but mac is definently not worth the extra grand.

the only thing apple has that by far beats anything else i have seen is the iPod. i still have the old nano. had it for 3 years now with no problems. had to use the warranty once because it got wet but otherwise i have had no problems with it. on the other hand my brother has a zune which he already had to trade in twice because the first one dropped from his hand and the other wouldn't play songs longer then 3 minutes(?)

if people cared less about image and more about quality the world would be a better place.

banana republic, gap, and old navy are all the same company. yet i buy my jeans for 20$ in old navy and when i see the exact same ones in banana republic they cost 50$+. the problem is people are ignorant and rather have a banana on their jeans rather then a navy.

there is nothing to be done because the general American public sees celebrities as there role models. unfortunately the celebrities make 7 digit salaries and the rest of us don't. Conformity will eventually kill us all.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

I love linux especially for servers and the such. If you are not familiar with command line, then I would grab a GUI version of linux. A lot of them are out there. When you have the gui it looks a lot like Windows Vista and Mac OS put together and fairly easy. Plus, it's all free.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I'm proud to say I don't own a single Apple product, and I hopefully never will. Most of their stuff is junk. It's overpriced, unreliable junk. There are MUCH better brands for A LOT cheaper. Give me a Samsung MP3 player any day over an Apple piece of garbage. Not only will I save money, but I'll have a better looking device that's made better.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
There's so much wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to begin. So, I'll just leave it at this: The "rarity" of Macs have NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the lack of viruses on that platform. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not know operating systems in any in-depth way.

Says who? You? Are you going to leave the statement like that or are you going to support it? "Anyone that doesn't agree with me is wrong because I said so"

It's a well-known fact that one reason why Apple's software is less prone to viruses is its rarity. People tend to write scripts for Windows because 90% of the computers run Windows. If you're writing a virus that steal people's credit cards for identity theft, why would you write it for a Mac OS when you can hit 9 times as many people with a Windows PC?

If Mac had 90% of the market share, they'd have a lot more issues, guaranteed. A few years ago, Mac was almost completely dead. Microsoft actually GAVE Apple money to keep them afloat so they wouldn't be broken up by anti-trust laws. When viruses started becoming popular, Macintosh was in death throws, and naturally as people get better and better writing scripts, people build on the knowledge they know, and the knowledge is writing it for Windows OS's because that's where it was all the rage in the past and that's where it makes sense.

I think the thing that angers Apple fans the most is it was the Ipod that revived their company. If their OS was so good, it would have sold itself and Apple would have been popular because of their quality interfaces. That's not how it happened. They struck gold with the Ipod and pushed it into a fashion trend that turned into a phenomenon. Apple computers sold well AFTER THE IPOD BECAME FASHIONABLE. It had nothing to do with their OS. Suddenly, once Apple's became "cool," the OS was all the rage
I think the fanboys get frustrated because the company is afloat strictly because of brainwashed children and nonstop TV ads, not because of quality.

When you buy an Apple product, you buy into a shallow, brainwashing corporate image. You certainly don't get quality, and you certainly don't get a good deal. The majority of the userbase are people that got too frustrated with Windows and couldn't get it to work right. It says a lot about the people that buy the products when they can't figure out how to use a computer

[edit on 14-7-2008 by ChocoTaco369]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I don't need a topic to tell me that the APPLE company is a rip-off. You think it's bad here in the US? In other countries who import computers, the price is marked up due to importing costs, but a friend from Australia told me that APPLE computers are marked up proportionally higher than all the rest.

Although I do admit, I did enjoy playing Oregon Trail. I suppose that's the one thing they're good for.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I dont know about all apple products being a waste of money. I LOVE my Iphone. I use it for my podcasts, television, movies, ipod, map, mailbox .... oh and even my phone
now I think If I were to pay for all those things seperately (TV, Phone, Ipod) it probably would cost me more. I do not own a television (waste of money), or have a home phone (waste of money if I can have it on me at all times) etc etc.

For my computer I have an HP so for me its about functionality and not necessarily about 'image'. Im not a MAC lover or a Windows lover lol, I dont really care about the OS since you can learn any OS.. its the end result I care about.

now I DO wish I waited until the Iphone was half the price LOL but that's the price you pay with technology that moves so quickly... you can always get it cheaper later if you can just WAIT~! haha

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Are you a spokesperson for apple? If not you should be, that was a good sales pitch!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Yup alot of sites that do performance charts and comparisons can tell ya that already... just the name your paying for now that things are really cross compatible...

As for the rest of the paying for the name jazz... just shop at winners, rollin outta there like a champ with brand new name brand shirts, things like enyce, rocawear, shady, abercrombie, ecko, avirex... these shirts are usually 100-140 bux a shirt at the mall in town, goin for about half price at winners... oh yeeeeee

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth Logan

No, I work for another evil company. I am not sure if that was a complement or not, but if it was... thanks

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
My sister used to use apple computers when she first was a graphic designer, she hated them, as they cost a huge amount, not just to buy, but to service, but it was the standard then for graphics. She was really happy though when IBM compatibles and the software for them caught up, it cut her costs by a lot when she made the move.

On the subject of people buying this stuff just for the image, I saw something that made me sad in my local store, they had PC laptops in there, very cheap, so I took a look... The box had no mention of any of the specifications, the only specification advertised on the box was the color.

Someone asked about people using Linux, I've been using it exclusively for a few years now, and love it. I'm not sure I would recommend it to everyone, but as a power user and programmer I think it's the best thing out there, if I don't like a 'feature' in a program, I can just change it. When I used XP, this level of customization was only available in a limited set of programs, those that were open source. On Linux it's the other way round, there's only a very limited set of programs I can't modify (nvidia drivers for example).

I think a lot of people spend way to much on their computers, I paid $60 USD for my current one, it's about 7 year old tech, but the only time I actually notice a slowdown or an inability to do things is in a few areas such as video encoding, 3d rendering, and games. Most people I know only use their computers for very limited things, email, facebook, digital camera, printing, etc, and there is no way they need a $1000+ machine.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
HAHA Yeah right! The color of the laptop!

I have had friends who went out and bought a laptop JUST BECAUSE it was a cool color.

decent laptop, but it was a pink laptop!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!! haha

This poor girl only used it to write papers on Microsoft word and to check her email. THAT WAS IT! also shes the same girl whose parents bought her a Mercedes for her 15th birthday. DON'T YOU HATE THAT!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

I can not imagine doing video encoding on a 7 year old PC. What are we talking here, Pentium III? Out of curiosity, have you tried a new computer recently? You would seriously be cutting the time it takes to render by a HUGE amount.

I can't even find benchmarks for 7 year old tech, but a cpu that is newer than what you are using that takes 300 seconds to reder something could be done in 30-40 with a new chip.

If you do a lot of encoding and rendering, it might be worth it to build a new computer. You don't need to spend $1000 to see a monumental improvement.

www.tomshardware.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
These are the BEST large screen laptops and tower computers
that money can buy in order of affordability and exclusiveness
which I think WAY OUTPERFORM Macintosh Notebooks and Towers.....

====
LAPTOPS:

HP Pavilion HDX Entertainment Notebook PC with 20 Inch Display
around $2400 with all the options

See:
www.shopping.hp.com... series_name=HDX_series

-----
Sager Notebook Computer:

NP9262 with Due Core or Quadcores at $2400 to $3200

See:

www.sagernotebook.com...
-----

VoodooPC Envy Media Laptop - $3200+

www.voodoopc.com...#/productsenvy
-----

One Beyond GoFlex317 HD High Performance laptop - Intel Quadcores at $7000

www.1beyond.com...
-----

GD-Itronix GoBook XR-1 Fully Ruggedized Notebook can dump it in Water = $7000+

www.gd-itronix.com...:XR-1

-----

NextComputing NextDimension EVO HD Portable Workstation = $8000+

www.nextcomputing.com...

-----

General Dynamics Tadpole Systems Bullfrog EXT Notebook Sun Workstation = $12,000+

www.tadpole.com...

====================================
TOWERS:
-----

DO-IT-YOURSELF project

TYAN Thunder n6550EX (S4989) 4 CPU Opteron Rev F (4 cores each) or 16 cores total
motherboards to make your own personal supercomputer - $850+ - CPU's and cases are extra

www.tyan.com...

----
VoodooPC Omen Series $2500 to $4000+
www.voodoopc.com...#/productsomen

----
3DBOXX Special Edition - Quad Cores - $5000+

www.boxxtech.com...

----
One Beyond HD OctoFlex 8 Processor Workstation - $12,000 to $32,000 up to 32 cores

www.1beyond.com...

----

Hope this helps

There are more even exotic (expensive) designs out there
in the $100k+ range for Supercomputing Class Notebooks and Towers
but it then gets a little ridiculous.....IBM/Sony Cell, Sun UltraSparcs,
SGI RealityMonster, Gridded NVIDIA GPU2, Ten GHZ Diamond Substrate chips, etc....

My own Sony/IBM Cell Multi-Chip design fits in that category
but it is a graphics supercomputer that's a rather bit
beyond using for "normal" computing task...So I included ONLY computers
that if you wanted to spend a car-loan-like amount of money for,
you could have the most powerful computing notebooks in the world
or ultra powerful towers that would still fit under your desk.

BUT

I am still getting an iPhone 3GP phone because it truly is...

INSANELY GREAT !!!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

It's a Pentium 4. I'm not sure if you misunderstood my post, I'm in a agreement with you, my point was that video encoding is one of the few areas where I do notice it being slow.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bobafett

Alright, got it. Sorry about that.

You really should check out the new quad cores though....... just sayin

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
"Apple i pods! amazing right! Why do they break all the time? Because of superior engineering? Its all propaganda and marketing! OPEN YOUR EYES! STOP WASTING YOUR MONEY ON APPLE!"

Haha....
I got my 2GB iPod nano 2 years ago. Over 2 years ago.
It has NEVER ONCE broken.
I've dropped it
I've dropped it in school hallways and had it stood upon.
I've run water over it (forgot what I was doing, lol, was trying to put a temporary tattoo on it.) while it was ON
I've stood on it probably over 100 times (it's usually on my floor)
I've plugged in and unplugged the headphones and power cord so many times it's ridiculous, and it still holds the headphone cord perfectly
I spent about 200 bucks on a music player that has lasted me well over 2 years, and will probably continue to last me until I get enough money to get a shinier version that I can watch videos on.
Oh yeah, did I mention, the screen isn't even cracked?
I mean yeah, it's a little scratched. the whole thing is. but I can still see everything. And hell, even if I broke the screen, I could still scroll aaaall the way down and just listen to it on shuffle for the rest of its life.

You speak from generalisations, and experiences IDIOTS have had. Because seriously, I'm a clutz to boot, and mine is still perfect.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, don't feed the trolls, etc.
This is Captain Obvious pointing out that this topic is what is most commonly posted in order to start a fight.

And yes, I'm not ashamed to admit that I DID buy something which I carry with me at all times and have out in the open several times a day with the idea of its looks in mind.
Of course I did!
It's the ONLY accessory I have with me at all times. Other than maybe my purse/wallet. But I change those around

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack
Oh, and I forgot to mention, don't feed the trolls, etc.
This is Captain Obvious pointing out that this topic is what is most commonly posted in order to start a fight.

Ha, yeah, in a way you are right, if this is not a troll topic, then it will at least still attract the trolls.

But you forget, this is the internet, where the reality is once we see a troll, we put the stove on full power and start cooking a hearty meal for them

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join