It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APPLE (computers, ipods, iphones) is a SCAM and a GIANT RIPOFF

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
haha I had a generic MP3 player with a color LCD screen and 8 GB. Played back MP3s MP4s, it was easy to download movies or songs onto. basically an external hard drive. i didn't have to use i-tunes for it. best part, i got it for......

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

$39 from CHINA!!!!!!!!!

i have had it for about 2 years now, taken it snowboarding with me hundreds of times, crashed on it, gotten it doused with snow and water. Never broke! Still have it. Cheap and it works wonderful.

The funny thing, when i had it out changing songs people would ask, WOW cool ipod, i haven't seen one that small before! Its so cool!

I tell them, oh no its from china, its not an ipod. there like...oh... what brand is it? i tell them, theres no brand. its blank. there like,

i wouldn't want that!

That should say something about brand marketing.

i man i could have broken and repurchased new, 5 of these by the time it would have cost me the price of just one apple version of the same thing.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Mac may not be better internally. However, when it comes to some programs they do run them better such as; Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator. Colleges prefer macs for teaching but in businesses PCs seem to be more common.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostlandseller

What you are talking about sounds a lot like the fake products that are popular in china. Taking a popular brand and stealing the likeness of it to sell as their own. I believe engadget runs a piece dedicated to those devices called "keeping it real...fake".

Everything from fake ipods to fake adidas to fake nintendo wii's. Sure, you could buy them and probably get a lot of bang for your buck, but you could also buy a pirated DVD right down the street for a fraction of what you would pay in the store. It is kind of the same thing.

www.engadget.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

If you want an easy Linux distro to start off with I would recommend Ubuntu I have had it on one of my computers for a couple of years, in different versions of course, and it`s really easy to use plus you do not really have to mess around with commands in terminal if you do not want to

Regarding Apple and their products, isn`t so that you pay primarily for the OS and sleek design? That is what what made me get an IMAC.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I am mac user for 14 years... maybe macs are more expensive, but from my experience they are worth it... I worked on mac in pc surroundings and very often pcs had failures and 'blue screen of death' while my mac worked perfectly... at the end you must pay even more for servicing pcs than for mac...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I have known this for over 10 years...I laugh at anyone that says "yeah I have a mac and have no problems at all..." Great...So what games do you have for your mac? Oh yeah there are none...Oh wait you could get windows emulator at a performance hit...Which renders it pointless with todays demanding games like crysis...

Heres a bit of advice...When you have to say to yourself, when purchasing software, "Does it have a mac version", your probably using the wrong pc...You will never hear..."Does that come on windows?"

Sure windows has its problems but most have been solved with updates...and defragmenting and keeping a good antivirus program running..I have never had a problem with windows...Why would anyone want to buy a computer that has so many software limitations on it?

You can tell a person by the pc they own..."Oh I am so cool, I have a mac..." No your stupid and you overpaid...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Apple caters to the casual, no-nothing about consumers, lazy consumer. I've been in involved in sales at various electronic stores and I can tell you one thing, the OP is damn right when it comes right down to it. The flashy white light LCD's, glossy plastic covering and the same company slogan everyone who buys one keeps spouting "It just works".

Studies have shown people who buy a certain brand tend to pay closer attention to the commercials for that product a lot more. They want to feel validated with their purchase, and the more expensive that purchase is (Say, like a car, TV, computer, etc - large purchases) the more they become insecure about that purchase afterwards.

All Apple has done is made commercials that don't sell the product, but are aimed to reaffirm the people who bought them. This is why a culture has been born with Apple. I sold on that very technique many times when a customer had shown interest in the iMac or Macbook line. Its easy to sell an Apple product, the real challenge is keeping it sold as it was the most returned product in the store not including peripherals.

The culture associated with Apple is a very shallow one which is founded on the insecurities of people whose instincts are suppressed with a false sense of worth/value or accomplishment. I could very well tell someone on the sales floor "Listen buddy, this Mac here is nothing special. I could give you my number and I can build you a computer with OSX that is superior to that model for half the price." and they still wouldn't bite.

There is definitely a place for Apple though. Graphic designers, artsy-types and such can really put them to good use. There are good customers who understand the Mac and I respect them. However, its the clueless folk who buy them for no other reason than a fashion statement or web browser that really irk me (Mind you, this was after they were funding me with copious amounts of sales commission).

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Well i purchased it legally, Its a good product! and hell if you can buy an identical product, especially electronic with the same quality as used in the major name brand items like Apple ipods for a fifth of the price then ILL TAKE IT! haha

i originally did it because i had some nice MPS players etc and i would lose them of crush them snowboarding so i decided to find the cheapest good one i could find. And i was really skeptical at first but i am happy with the product!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
oh my, another loon who doesn't understand the cost of engineering.

Everything always works on my mac. I don't have anything like that experience on my pc.

Get this, I have a gateway with 4 gb ram runnin vista. Its dog slow. Yet I run vista, inside of fusion on my iMac with only 3gb dedicated to it AND 1gb dedicated to osx and vista runs AMAZINGLY faster in that 3gb vm than it does with the full 4gb on the pc!

That's only two reasons I support apple products.

But then again, I pay more for organic food too!

Oh, btw, I wrote this on my iPhone :-)

[edit on 15-7-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
What's the best for gaming? I can't stand researching a game buying it installing it and it mysteriously not working. I hate that. It's happened every time on my windows pc, then again I'm not the only using it.
Now that I'm getting a new computer soon I was wondering which one should I get for gaming?

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
"If everything on a Mac just works, then why does a website called "Mac fix it" exist, assholes?"

(strong language at external link)

www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
When I started using macs the company was just about done and style had nothing to do with it... windows 95 was barely workable garbage and apple os just plain worked and still does.

There are so many things that make working on a mac a totally different experience than on say a dell it isn't funny. First off in regards to parts... you buy a $600 dell then drop another $600 to add the various things you end up needing on it already comes with a mac. You can't do graphics the same way on a windoze system, it doesn't handle postscript the same way either. Also apple uses quality components, dell ueses the cheapest and macs are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I have dropped my powerbook, brushed it off and it behaved like nothing happened... you do that to a dell.

What takes 3 or 4 steps on a windows takes 1 or 2 on a mac. The author of this thread doesn't know what he's talking about... you pay more for an apple product but you get high quality for the price... with dell you just get cheap.

Finally Macs have a far longer shelf life... I will be running my powerbook and iMac far longer and more porfitably than I ever would a dell.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by grover]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
For the OP:

Based on your experience and honesty. Have you tried or do you know anyone who has tried to install OSX on a barren PC?
I wonder how it could be done easily...

I just tried putting together my dream Mac on apples homepage for the purpose of have a decent image editing computer. It was a desktop and it ran up to £2.900 xO that's without monitor.
So seeing your thread kinda made me think about it.

OSX runs past XP or Vista by miles. I'm getting to the age where I really don't care about being able to play around with things myself like you can in Windows, but I don't like how Visa turned out. I think they really overcomplicated things more than they had to.

I currently use a homebuild pc that's 5 years old now and still running semi great.
But if one could install OSX on pc parts that would be very tempting.

Is it possible? Without too much hazzle...?

EDIT: Decided to do some legwork myself. It appears that it is very possible to create a mac system on a pc, popular name: Hackintosh.
Unfortunately it deters me a bit that the way the pc motherboards are build can cause problems in small things as the ethernet, the wifi, the usb ports.
Also it doens't seem that these MacPcs run 100% stable which also is concerning. If I had to spend any time what so ever in making OSX run on a PC.. maybe even from time to time, that would itself cost the same as just buying an Apple product.
Time is money, especially in the graphic business :S

I'll probably switch to Mac to avoid Vista. Guess I'll have to dig up those £3K somewher e x)

I'm not saying though that it's not appalling that the same product costs more in a different package. But it's probably not going to change.

[edit on 15/7/08 by flice]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostlandseller
haha I had a generic MP3 player with a color LCD screen and 8 GB. Played back MP3s MP4s, it was easy to download movies or songs onto. basically an external hard drive. i didn't have to use i-tunes for it. best part, i got it for......

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

$39 from CHINA!!!!!!!!!

me tooooo!
i can even record on mine which is highly convenient for me since i am a "list" person and sometimes will think of something i have to do while driving!

there was noooo way that i was going to spend a ridiculous amount of money when i could pay $39 for a no name equivelent that actually isn't even an equivelent bc mine does so much more.

i am the same way as you OP. instead of buying a brand new laptop, even though i could have offorded it, i opted for refurbished w/ all the same things a brand new one would have had. it looks brand new, runs brand new, but was much cheaper than brand new

i refuse to buy things based on the "name" and/or bc society deems it "cool". to me that seems riduculous, unnecessary, and a poor way to manage one's $$.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I completely agree with you 100%, Apple products are a fashion trend, there products offer no real benefits over other makers, and for the price of an Apple computer you can get a "Boutique" brand computer like Alienware, Voodoo PC, or Falcon NW which look better, and perform better than any Apple.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I used to test software, and I had a PC and a MAC side-by-side on my desk, top of the line at the time. I tested our software on both platforms and hands-down, every time there were WAY more bugs on Windows than on MAC. In fact, there usually were VERY few bugs in the MAC software but we spent months and months testing and re-testing for Windows bugs because there were soooooo many.

I still own a PC at home, because it's just easier for gaming with a PC. But I'll never dispute the quality of Apple/Macintosh computers. I don't own an iPod or iPhone so I have no opinion on them.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fliceI'll probably switch to Mac to avoid Vista. Guess I'll have to dig up those £3K somewher e x)[edit on 15/7/08 by flice]

Have you tried to use Vista for longer than 5 minutes in a computer store? I love Vista...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have a imac myself and the reason why I dont play games on it is because I leave that to the game consoles.

I used to have a pc and will never go back to it because my mac is a workstation, they arent meant for playing games on they are meant for work. I am a designer and I love mac because of the OS its brilliant, it doesnt burn through ram like a pc does and it is a quarter of a price and most importantly dead quite.

My mac is for work and my console is for games as that is the most cost efficient way to do it as apposed to upgrading every bit of hardware in a pc plus the noise. I live in AUS and prices are sky high.

Add a video card, ram, cpu, case, extra fans, motherboard, OS, sound card, speakers monitor and if they are the latest tech you are easily past 3000 dollars. A new nvidia card alone is over a grand with DX10 and vista support, you can guess how expensive it an get from there.

I can buy a mac pro with a dual core zeon workstation at the same price as a gaming pc so why would I bother buying a pc in the first place, leave that to the game consoles.

My wallet is significantly lighter thanks to mac without yearly upgrades and the OS wipes the floor with Vista, Vista doesnt even deserve to be compared to OSX.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Ehm yes... did you not read. I use PC at home... My dad used to build pcs and develop software.

[edit on 15/7/08 by flice]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I just bought an Apple iMac on July 12th. I love it. I'm not a techie type person so all the details aren't my focus. I love the look of them, the simplicity, they are creative and have some nice artistic features. They are stylish. I can just stare at it. I still don't know how to do a lot of things on it yet, I am learning still. I will never go back to Windows.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join