It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Important Threads Are Ignored But Just Let Me Start Some Stupid Thread About Eating Dinosaurs...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I see it as this:

The more advanced and detailed a topic is from the start, the harder it usually is for many people who don't feel they can contribute to it to get involved in that thread, thus many well meaning posters will likely not contribute out of respect of not wanting to derail or wreck the thread.

Off the top of my head, I will use ProTo Fire Fox's thread regarding The Zodiac Killer:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have been reading that thread on a number of occasions, though I have not tried to contribute to it (Other than starring/flagging) in the least on the grounds of I honestly don't feel I could add to the discussion without unintentionally harming the discussion going off there.

----
Alternatively, threads where the discussion level is lower or the content is more simple, derogatory or light hearted/ humorous those will get more hits as everyone feels they can add or subtract from that thread they are also a magnet for Trolls and Self Righteous individuals who lack self restraint.

---
Occasionally you will get the occasional exception to the rule, but these only occur if the topic is highly controversial or of an "everyday" nature for example of what could be labeled a controversial thread there is

Controversial although Biased: (Magnet for Flaming)

"Everyday Style Topic": (Lots of people with experience in this and thus contribute to it)

---
The latter two are the best post types if you want responses, although if you don't care about how all other members perceive you then you can just post Tollbate style threads and reap the points in

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Sometimes ones sense of "self importance" is not shared by all.
It is nothing personal just the reality of life.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Lol well i think the reason light hearted threads get some response is people need a break from all the doom and gloom. I also think important threads with good information are often read, registered and then people move on. It's likea news report to many people
Nothing wrong with it.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What's important to some of us doesn't seem to be important for others.

It's my opinion that the masses will be killed off by the toxic food supply and pharmaceutical medications, but some people haven't grasped that concept yet.

I got ridiculed in another thread because I feed my dog organic food when another person had posted that their dog is pooping a lot and losing weight from eating cheap walmart dogfood. And no one is seeing the connection.

So I guess I should feel pretty fortunate to be one of the few who may make it through all of this mess alive and healthy while the rest succumb to one or more of the modern diseases that are running rampant in our society but no one seems to notice.

If the population is going to be decreased, I guess those who are in denial will be the ones to go first. Why should I try to save them if they don't want to be saved? I should just focus on saving myself.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'll read your "dinosaur" thread before I read the 40 billionth "PROOF WTC7 DETONATED" thread.

I guess I'm a "mark"

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out that my newest thread, that has twice as many replies and flags,
Has been blocked by your thread all night. So in case you were wondering why "some of my important threads are being covered by junk!"..

But I've made a thread just like yours before, so Im not making fun of you...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Here is a perfect example;
In the past, I had started threads here with info that had not been posted and I thought was important. I still to this day have not heard anyone speak of the OAS (Organization of American States). I was willing to accept that the topics were merely not as interesting as I thought, so I tried a thread title experiment.
I made a thread title that was highly exaggerated using key words that people are drawn to like "PROOF" in all caps. PROOF that Ancient Civilizations were as advanced as us!
It quickly became my best thread and got on the front page for a while.
Now the title I made was not knowingly false, the example given could be used for defending that ancient civilizations were advanced, but it was dishonest. Definitely taught me something about getting people's attention though.
But you see my point.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
A significant minority of people on ATS
are NOWHERE near as smart as they've convinced themselves they are.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I'm truly sorry. I guess I was just trying to learn how to 'work the system' so that my next informative thread will get some notice. I was glad to see my silly dinosaur thread die off. But people seemed to enjoy it though.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Threadfall

'Significant minority'? Is that like Jumbo Shrimp? And actually I find that the percentage of above average intelligence posters to average intelligence posters to be higher than the percentage in the population at large. Surprisingly so. You might even say a significant minority of us.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have seen what you are referring to.

Example post:

Title:
Cockroach telepathically communicates with me

Last night before I attempted to kill a roach in my kitchen with a Raygun it raised up on its hind legs and said..please dont kill me. Then the roach began explaining how his kind had a dilema with food shortages and humans were always trying to kill them. At one point during the conversation, I could have sworn the roach was gesturing to me with his top legs.

Then the Post receives tons of responses, even from the so called strong fact finding intellectuals. Star and flagged.

Yes, I have seen this before

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
i'm not even sure what, if anything at all, i can trust on this site anymore... i mean, some people are trying to seek the truth just the same, but does there really have to be so much disinformation? you just have to have an extremely discerning eye, and take everything with a grain of salt anymore.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

Sometimes the absurd(911 anomalies and descepancies point to a definate inside job) ends up really being truth.

Sometimes the absurd is merely entertainment or just hypothesis. form of "what if" brain storming.

My least favorite absurd post is....
"The strawman post" created by debunkers and armchair intellectuals to lure and test folks gullibility. Eventually the post becomes a dialogue between responders in a fight to show how smart and skilled they are than each other at critical thinking. Only to eventually exhaust the dialogue and eventually tar and feather you into a pile of ignorance.

Or at least point out that your posts are ignorant, your context is all wrong, your gramatical structure and spelling are all wrong, your flow of ideas are all wrong.

[edit on 7/13/2008 by prometheus1111]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Not everybody that read the dino thread believed it was going to be any good. I'm open minded and decided to see what you had to say. But that's it. I'm glad you agree that it was stupid though.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Wow. I find this self-confidence and aire of superiority coming from a woman to be quite sexy...But then again, I am a little bit of a glutten for punishment. I hope to meet you one day.

If I become famous and we happen to cross paths, tell me my screen name and I'll tell you if I'm windwaker or not.

I have above average intelligence, most of the time...But I'm not that smart. I'm right in the middle, so I get to make fun of the brilliant and the stupid.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I feel your pain, I made one thread (It was about how Google search found Ron Paul to be more popular than Obama) Didn't get any replies. I dont make threads, because you just gotta be sensational or controversial to get any replies. But I don't see getting replies as enough reason to create a thread anyway.

I see a lot of important replies to threads here go unquoted, unstarred and unnoticed, purely because people don't know how to make a big noise and get their posts noticed, regardless of how relevant they are.

Since this is a message board it's mostly about validating your own beliefs, hoping to find people of a like mind, and debate with those that aren't. But don't fall into the trap of making sensational posts just to get attention. I see people here do that all the time, and it usually ends up with bans

Peace.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

ya Dinosaurs are pretty cool... but I must admit I have no interest as of lately with things like that... and I dont recall seeing much in the way on that topic on ATS so its surprising because you think it would stand out...

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I made a topic like this not so long ago asking the same question myself and people told me that I need to make a thread with the right title and make it interesting to people. The time you create the thread is also important. So that advice has been very helpful to me. Just thought I'd pass it along.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Time of day does matter, if you go back the next day to try and boot it up you end up with 3-4 posts before people notice and it's too insane to read...

But the op has a valid point, my thread about killing aliens landed 120,000 page views and biodiesel and the reason we are driving up the price of oil got zip

The only thing however that pisses me of are all the ar posts...too much anger... aside from that a post on eating dinasaurs is refreshing...

and yeah, i'd eat dinosaur

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

First the eating dinosaur thread makes headline.

Now this thread makes headline.
With a subject on how silly the other eating dinosaur thread was.

Now I ask you a question.

Which thread is more ridiculous?

This one or the one about eating dinosaurs?

Do you think if I made another thread complaining about how this thread complaining about the dinosaur thread made headlines I could make headlines?

Just A Thought.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Malevolent_Aliens]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join