It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Important Threads Are Ignored But Just Let Me Start Some Stupid Thread About Eating Dinosaurs...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Santa I was looking at the titles of some of your posts. they sounded fascinating. I would have read them. I guess we all have catagories we tend to stay in but we should broaden our horizons from time to time.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MsSmartypants

Well I appreciate it a lot. And that's the key. My interests expand the more I read on this site. Its a great learning tool. Good point.

And while some of my threads may sound thought provoking, well lets just say I get the rocks to post more when I have had a few beers.

What I've learned is that my thoughts are good, but a real multimedia post with good research is even better. I will still post my speculation, but I find it more satisfying to do my homework first. So my motto from now on is post less often, but include more.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

welcome to ATS...

if you have a real thread that has throught provoking themes, its going to get ignored. Basically, if you have an idea that differs from what everyone has read on the subject, albiet EVERYTHING is a theory, if your theory is not one already posted 120390912 times, it will be ignored.

they say deny ignorance, i guess that means, deny anything that cant be googled. ive had many theories on this board shotdown because it wasnt mainstream, yet it made 100x more sense then the previous regurgitated ones.

if you want ATS points or something like that, you just have to pick thee most stupidest idea you can come up with and then just write it as if you think its possible.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

He, he, it happens to me all the time, that is why I don't start threads anymore.

But rather join the ones that calls my attention.

Don't worry is not as bad as you think.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

LoL Let's just say it was around 3am when I started the thread about eating dinosaurs and I may or may not have imbibed a bit beforehand.
And I too feel better about a topic I started when I know I researched it and included a thought provoking link.
And I for one appreciate the effort that ATS members go to to make this forum so interesting.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
but seriously I started a thread about going back in time and causing the extinction of the dinosaurs by eating them all simply because I thought that concepts like time travel, extinction and dinosaurs would garner interest. Perhaps all my serious posts should be prefaced with the words 'Free Money!' to draw attention to them.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I feel your pain. I could see If it was a thread about aliens evolving form dinosaurs. But maybe there all just negative replies, and just were interested into how someone could concoct such a story, I wish my post did that well.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Wow, guys, a lot of you seem to really have a "more serious researcher than thou" thing going on - quit ragging on the "general population" and quite ragging on fellow ATSers. Maybe weird and far-out threads get more attention because most people on here aren't looking to discuss things you'll find on other forums and people want to talk and speculate about weird things. It's the same with many of the weird threads, most of the replies are just people essentially saying the OP is crazy or thick for believing a really weird idea. The basic fact is, though, that weird, unverifiable ideas, no matter how absolutely "crazy" are also possibly true. Heck, even if there appears to be strong evidence against a crazy idea, no one can ever prove or disprove anything 100%, there's always a chance that actually something really weird is responsible. Just because you can't believe it, doesn't mean it's not, in fact, the truth, despite all signs to the contrary. Take a simple, famous example: no one can disprove the theory that my cat in fact invented the world just five minutes ago, being omnipotent, and implanted in her creation absolute evidence that she did not in fact create the universe five minutes ago. Non-falsifiable and non-verifiable, and yet it still might be the truth. How would you know? Not that I'm making that claim, but just saying one of the reason I like ATS so much is that so many people are willing to let their imaginations run wild. What's so wrong with that? There are more than enough "serious" threads, and if people want them they'll find them. Don't talk down to the rest of us who don't reach your standards - it's not fair, not does it improve anything. Firstly, plenty of very successful threads have been "serious" discussions, it's not like ATS is wanting for highly empirical, scientific debates, and we love them just as much as we love our weird, almost nonsensical threads - and even if they're highly improbable, they're still technically possible. Let ATS be a forum for everyone and anyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
It's called "trolling". And it was more transparent than you realized.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Because people always want fantastic events to happen, or spectacular things to appear.

It's human curiousity, Barnum and Bailey learned that. There's a sucker born every minute, was his famous qoute I believe.

If I posted a Topic about a crazy witch that busted into my room in the middle of the night, and demanded my teeth, it would probably be on the 6 o'clock news...

"Evil Tooth Fairy Strikes, Film at 11"

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
"Could your drinking water be slowly KILLING you?!?!"......."Tune in @8 to find out" *8:59 "Is your drinking water killing you? No, it just tastes funny. Tune in tomorrow to find out if your dog might be aiding terrorists"

People are sheep, if you want success, dumbing your content down is the best option, but not always I guess.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Santa, You got my attention buddy! I almost split a side when I read:

"But guess what? My most popular thread of all time was about a guy who had sex with a picnic table... sigh... it got deleted.

IT EVEN MADE THE FRONT PAGE!"

What the hell was that about? How about fill me in?

AND

"5. Go in your yard at night and record your dog running around with a flashlight duct-taped to its back. Make humming sounds or just make a high-pitched "peeeooooo peeoooooo." Post on youtube, job done."

Still killing me here with this dog one! Just picturing my Black Cocker-Spaniel pulling that move - hell, if I was back in SA I'd try it out and post the result on YouTube for you too see the outcome!!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I used to experiment at another site just to entertain myself.I would post an interesting and thought provoking thread and also some stupid bs.The stupid BS would get more views every time.I have to admit though,if I saw a thread titled Two headed alien impregnates Toledo woman,I would have probably took a peek too.The poo threads beating me though I could never understand.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by ethann]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   

I am a little offended by your motive to try to condemn some people on ATS for being interested in what you consider "frivolous" ideas. Maybe we are just trying to be kind and friendly.

It wasn't a stupid topic at all. It was actually a very imaginative and fun idea, that appealed to the inner child in a lot of us, in my opinion. It would make a great movie, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is writing a screenplay inspired by your idea (or prank) right now.

I think it's pretty arrogant to judge us for taking an interest in your now admittedly fake post. It's not that we are that crazy about the topic; I think a lot of us here are just kind enough to indulge an idea that is improbable, because we have open minds, we are accepting of people and we love science fiction.

You are in the business of advertising. Why are you debasing your own talent to get people's attention? You actually had a great idea there. I hope that not all people in advertising look down at the people they create ads for like you do.

They probably do, and that's why the common and poor people (the people who are free in spirit) suffer.

This would be an example of everything that is wrong with our current society. The type of anger, disappointment and snobbery that comes from people who are talented and intelligent is what creates secret plots to foil governments, deprive people of their rights, and create groups of elitist control freaks.

With a talent like yours, you have a responsibility not only to make people understand ideas, but also a responsibility to be compassionate to others who might not understand as well as you, or see your point-of-view.

PS: People come to ATS with fake names and avatars so that they can free to express themselves and their ideas without facing judgement. In the real world of imprisoning social politics, I think most people would move across the lunch table to get away from you if you mentioned the idea of humans eating dinosaurs. Is that the kind of attitude you want here in the anonymous world of ATS?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by windwaker]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I think you hit the nail on the head with this thread,

First id like to point out that from experience i know when something is eaten that is well different from the norm, and you cant explain the taste, then it tastes like chicken, i could name several different animals here, but i dont wish to offend those who may have some of them as pets, in fact im pretty sure that a tyrannosaurus probably tastes just like chicken.

I agree that it seems the threads with way over the top titles grab the attention, what surprises me more is replies to these threads are serious and taken that way.

There have been threads that ive seen with maybe 2 replies, an the thread has a topic that is real, thought provoking, weird and unexplainable, but yet they are ignored, i posted a thread about a spacial rift in this city, where people have found themselves in the past, i offered links to the University investigation, and links to witness reports, however the replies where very very few, i accept the topic might not be everyones cup of tea, compared to other threads however it was very serious and real, but still no takers.

I think that comes down to people unable to post a reply because of lack of knowledge on the subject, oh well.

Another typ of thread which is becoming more and more popular is the repeat thread, for instance an amazing video will be posted, and will run for days and days with opinions, analysis, expert input and it seems the whole of ATS becomes involved,( i love those threads) but then a day or two after it dies down, someone will come along and post a thread, have you seen this amazing video, you click on it, and its the same video that has caused all the sensationalism, and yet we have dozens of posts discussing it again, like it had never ever been on ATS, that baffles me.

I know there are those who are desperate for points to get into RATS, and will post anything to get some, only to get access and complain about the content being worse than the other forums, a lot of the truly terrible threads come from that.

Also amazes me the junk that gets into the hot topics and stay there, some of them are way beyond terrible.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Why can't people except that there is a closet freak in every one of us?

I just had a shot of Svedka mixed with some Tropicana Fruit Orchard Punch...the mix of alcohol and fruit juice mixed with high fructose corn syrup has put my brain in a hyper-kinetic, but relaxed, state.

So I just thought of a great, potential ATS topic:
If You Could Have Sex With A Female Grey, Would You?

I think I would, if she were feminine enough and had cute eyes. I'm not a breast or leg man, myself...It's the eyes that attract me...And boy, do those greys have big eyes! Yes, I like small-framed women, and if she was really sweet, yes, I think I would consider it...Of course, I'm talking about the greys with the smooth skin (some think they are masks, but I just think it's a product of good alien diet and hygiene), not the greys that are "fugly", not the ones with the wrinkly skin and pock marks, like we saw in the movie "Fire In The Sky." I mean, a man has to have some standards.

You know, I tend to shuffle around between these three sites: Cnn.com, Cnbc.com and ATS.com..Yesterday I tried something different, and went to MTV.com. There were a lot of beautiful women, and "hip" people on that site. I have a feeling the people who go to these sites get more sex than I do...Sex with real, live, beautiful women...who happen to be human.

Remember: Even though Diane hooked-up with Frasier Crane on "Cheers" a couple of times, she was always thinking about Sam.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Completely, well said!!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I know exactly what your talking about. I made a thread talking about who Conspiracy's hurt and nothing. Its a very real issue here on ATS but people want to believe there Conspiracy's are harmless.

My very first thread here on ATS under my present name about fast food industry and a conspiracy to kill us all did very well and some times it even becomes active again.

Super size my 4th meal fast food and conspiracy's

Who does your conspiracy hurt

It just seems on ATS that most people want don't want to take any thing seriously, in my opinion. The more sensational it is the better it seems excepted.

reply to post by Sheeper

you may be interested in another of my threads.
No more Sheeple

(Edited to add reply to sheeper)

[edit on 13-7-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

oh my you certainly are right. And ordinarilly I feel just as you do but i was feeling a bit put off that some of my favorite threads didn't generate the interest I had hoped and I was truly looking forward to having a rousing discussion with my fellow ATSers about some of my favorite topics. A lot of the discussions on ATS are over my head and I don't have a chance of contributing anything worthwhile so I too tend to read and contribute to topics that fall within my comfort zone.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I do not always 'see' your threads and that is why I dont join in mssmartypants.

I did 'see' this one and that you started it and clicked.

I recall once one of the Three Amigos chimmed in on a thread similar to this one and said that it always amazes him when a thread he thinks is going to take wings and fly instead flops and the opposite as well.

I do feel your pain, but you know some of the very best thread authors, Mods and top writers start threads that never get more than one or two replies and I am always floored...

So consider yourself in excellent company if this has happened to you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join