It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Hmph. When that many people have it, I wonder if it is an environmental disorder or maybe it is just a NATURAL human trait. I would really like to know what generations DIDN'T have it. Surely aware parenting was not better prior to WWII.

I think you may see RAD everywhere. Thats okay, I tend to see differing levels of sociopathic behavior in a fair percentage (maybe 10%) of people, mostly men, too. Though on that studies have said the rate could be much higher.

To be honest I had never heard of RAD before. Makes me wonder if it is often the same thing. I have some mild sociopathic traits myself (I said mild), and tend to gravitate towards those traits in others so yeah the topic is interesting.

Honestly if you say virtually every man you have ever MET has this disorder, but I would assume it is slightly less common in women, then perhaps you just expect men to act and bond like women socially?

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I wonder what mines says about me? DOh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Excellent points. But I need to discipline myself to respond more in sequence or I'm apt to lose my place and miss someone which I'd really hate to do.

The male/female thing vis a vis RAD is a very complex set of stuff.

Mothers TEND to be more nurturing regardless; more available etc. and yet thererfore taken more for granted on those scores by the kids. and, increasingly, not all mothers act that way, sadly.

Do I expect men to be more feminine socially bonding like . . .

Good question. I don't think so.

I want them to be men. And men love kids and show affection decidedly differently. But it's KEY THAT that DO SO. I think that's KEY TO ME, TOO.

I don't see too many men DOING SO very faithfully. Those who do--are wonderful. I went to a new church the last couple Sundays. I saw more men there acting like that than I've ever seen before. Maybe I'll have to adjust my stats.

Maybe more when I get to your post in sequence.

Sorry.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
My Avatar is Sepiroth from Final Fantasy. I had my main character vincent shooting the screen but it was against T& C.

*Leans in real Close*

Don't tells nobodies... But I'msa scared of aliens... And I think Sepi here is a good guardian. He's unstoppable in the game...

Coven

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
It means nothing more than the make up of this type of forum. People that gravitate to this forum have fantasy like perceptions of life. They find escape from the mundane and actually fantasize and have really active imaginations.

Life is boring and tedious for most so expression through an avatar that is ideally what they would imagine as a more exciting set of circumstances is the result...

The sinister/edgy or spectacular avatars represent the ideal persona for this fantasy/imaginative outlook.

It also sheds a little light on how this person views the world, as seedy, curious, untruthful and immoral for the most part.

This is also why most posters also have a cynical perspective about almost everything.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I've used this avatar for years.
I just matched the background with it so it looks rather good.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No, I'm the one being chucked over the wall by the soldiers.

So in real life I'm a... defenstration consultant.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I agree I noticed the same thing when started here
Nevertheless did not go mainstream ... as you can see

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pilot
I chose my avatar because when I'm reading all this scary depressing crap that I am somehow drawn to, I like to be reminded that there are things in life that make up for all the negativity...my baby girl.

She's a cutie.

I'm curious . . . how well trained is she?

Is she fiercely protective of you?

She looks like a great companion. Congrats.

This is her "don't even think about it" look, that's as dark as I want to get.

LOL.

Does she snap, bite when in that mood or pose?

I know some people who bite quite freely from that sort of expression! LOL.

I think your avatar is a refreshing change from some of the darker ones hereon. Thanks. and thanks for your kind contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

My avatars are either my artwork, or women (dressed within the T&C!) who I find pleasing on the eye.

THANKS TONS for your kind, wonderful, meaty reply and contribution to our thread.

Ahhhhh attractive women . . . now there's a popular focus for at least half the population! LOL.

Sadly, some folks cannot seem to distinguish between an avatar and a person, which is kind of creepy, and definitely one for discussion.

INDEED. Quite a topic for discussion.

What are your hunches about that?

Certainly avatars are some measure of extensions of the self to some degree in some senses.

And, how is a viewer to guess HOW MUCH of an extension of the core self a given avatar is at a given time in a given context?

Folks commonly consider clothing to = the person. And, certainly, clothing tends to be a pretty reliable clue about what the person's public (at least) priorities are . . . and to some of what the person's self-concept is like.

Yet clothing can't encompass the whole person.

Though most folks would be seen as VERY different characters at a nudist colony.

I wonder . . .

1. How much do MOST members HOPE that their avatar WILL be considered a wholesale accurate representation of their personhood?

2. How much do how many members hope that their avatar will be successful at convincing viewers that the person's identity, core realities are opposite to what they really are?

3. How much do how many members use their avatars to poke viewers in their sensibilities in ways they'd secretly love to do but would never do for social conformity or timidity or civility reasons?

My current avvy is some artwork based on Michelle Trachtenburg of Buffy fame. Because its got a woman on it, people assume I'm female. How does that work?

Ahhhh, I think you know--folks are given to ASSUMMPTIONS almost as much as breathing.

And, it's pretty reasonable. We HAVE to make assumptions, guesses about daily life. Else we'd be immobilized calculating the more statistically accurate, verifiable realities and not be able to do much more than get out of bed and dressed in the morning. Certainly the necessity of making assumptions gets commonly overblown in many contexts and particularly when assuming things about folks' character, values, priorities, inner worlds.

A big part of me thinks that many members luxuriate in that phenomena, however. Part of the fun of many of the darker tweakier avatars is their capacity to push viewers' assumption buttons.

I wonder what percentage of the time that's true to what degree?

Its a dark and broody avatar by the way, because I like dark and broody sometimes! I was a goth in my youth, I like the shadows, the dark, esoteric things and being able to express my creativity. I think people should have fun with avvys

Ahhhhhhhh . . . welllllllll triggers the following questions:

1. When did you first notice a preference for dark and broody?

2. What were the major factors in your circumstances and interpersonal contexts then?

3. How much of the goth STUFF was an attraction TOWARD and how much a fleeing, reaction, rebellion AGAINST . . . what???

4. You pair dark esoteric things with expressing your creativity. I assume you realize that is not an automatic--only-possible-pairing--that creativity could as or more easily be paired with the opposite of dark stuff. So the question arises . . . what contributed to that pairing within you?

5. Was there anyone in your life who's affections, attractions to you, affiliations with you, respect for you, interests in you . . . who you hoped to draw closer to via such dark themes?

6. Was there anyone in your life who you wanted to punish, put off, tweak, rebel against, poke in their sensibilities with the goth stuff?

7. Did the goth stuff have more energy, more intensity, more, paradoxically, more aliveness in it's death focus, than a myriad of other possible themes to focus on in your environment of the time? If so, I wonder why.

8. What is more COMFORTING about dark and broody, about the shadows?

9. How are dark and broody and how are the shadows more USEFUL to you than other themes?

10. Is there anything about the opposite of dark and broody shadows that offends, annoys, angers you?

RE your avatar . . .

I certainly think dark and broody is an apt phrase for it.

It's easy to imagine in those eyes . . . or behind those eyes . . .

a tentativeness . . . yet a kind of "I dare you . . . " and a virtually tangible intense vulnerability . . . And yet . . . there's a kind of toughness, too . . . I kind of imagine this . . . seductive something where she ends up hurt and then exacts her pound of flesh in retaliation. Not sure where that comes from.

There's a waif-like quality about her, somehow.

Fascinating image.

I'm not so sure they are an indication of a sign of the times, but maybe I'm wrong on that - my last avvy was fairly colourful.

[edit on 12/0708/08 by neformore]

Welllllllll, I think they are a sign of the times. I have sometimes noticed manikins in shop windows as a similar sign of the times. They seem to go through periods of being very dark, dreary, kind of horrific, in a way.

I'm not sure about therefore what . . . but it's fascinating to observe.

Thanks greatly for your excellent post and the honor of responding.

May your week be fulfilling in all the best ways you and your loved ones would desire.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Are you saying that avatars are related to whether you believe in god or not?
That is just plain stupid.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

We live without fear or evil...?!

On which planet?

Great point.

Though it looks like that day is far nearer on the horizon than ever before in the history of the world.

And, interestingly, amidst fresh sources of all manner of heavy duty fears and reasons to fear . . .

"FEAR NOT!" Still rings out resoundingly to those with ears to hear and eyes to see . . . though it's still a growing edge, for me.

Thanks for your potent point.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
Good Post Op,

This is something ive noticed too, generally within the subjective and objective sense though, gloably.

Thanks for the confirming observation.

The rave dance scene stated really in the late 80's early 90's from house in the UK 9was there and involved) now it started and was all fluffy, loving, modern 60s chic if you like, rave and hugs from random starngers. That was the vibe, the reason the experience.

Interesting. I wasn't very familiar with that.

Well if you took any of those first particitants in that one small section of socity and transported them to some clubs and events in Berlin or Amstrerdam today, and they saw images of Nuclear bombs and death destruction . . .

They would alos then be further shocked by the fact that everyone had their head covered and most of their face by hoods, even more strange

INDEED. How world wide culture has changed soooo much. The globalists have been very effective at their very dark and evil skullduggery.

then they would be appalled to see everyone basically in their own bubble looking at the floor dancing, not in a group experience that they had just been transported from!

I think that's a crucially important point . . . The globalists HATE community. They only want slaves under their thumb. Any sense of real community is a threat to their tyranny. So, by design, they have done a LOT very effectively to isolate folks into individual automotons--emotionally disconnected from meaningful intimacy and connection with others--particularly others of similar perspective.

The family has been shredded up one side and down the other for decades from MANY directions by many forces. What's left but hurting individuals flitting amongst the darkening shadows . . . numbed by their own pain and by all the numbing forces of the ruling oligarchy and their psy ops, flourides, whatever. Dreadful.

Yet the globalists also facilitate a very manipulative death theme, darkness theme . . . giving folks a dark pseudo substitute for authentic feelings about right and wrong--instead, kind of an excitement about the risks of death and pain . . . that excitement substituting for the standard numbed out, bored-out, wasted out feeling--so much of a contrast to the numbness that it passes for wonderful excitement. Dreadful, imho.
Then the words dark negative, forboding etc exact opposite!

Just some analogies of the objective nature of this trend in one small slice of global society.

It does seem to be growing and happening!

I quite agree. Growing by design. Happening on schedule. They are training, conditioning, coercing, seducing the global population to even end up glorifying death and cheering death on a grand scale . . . which, of course, is also scheduled.

Thanks for the honor of your kind and substantive message.

Have a blessed week.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Sorry, I forgot to comment on your avatar.

I like the blue--one of my favorite blues.

The message I find a . . . welll . . .

sorry . . . but I find it a globalist straw dog sort of thing.

There's NO possibility for genuine Islam to coexist with anything else over the long haul. My roommate in his recent article well outlines the reasons for that as have others who have left the Islam fold. Co-existence for Islam has THROUGHOUT IT'S HISTORY meant only to lay low until sufficient military means were achieved to tyrannically conquer all who were not Islam. That modus operandi has not changed at all. The Jihadi's are merely the current loud and demonstrative segment most overtly carrying forward the military aspects of their core belief and demand to conquer all else.

Satanists, likewise are never going to be buddy buddy with Pentecostals nor vice versa.

Even rabid Hindus burn Christians to death in our era.

Values and beliefs mean something.

The globalists will coerce them all into one homogeneous meaningless whole at some point. Thouh it may be they have instead the strategy of using Islam to destroy all else and then destroy or morph Islam into worshipping the world ruler.

In any case, worship of the world ruler will be mandated and all who won't will be killed. That much is quite clear from a number of prophetic sources, including the Bible.

So, personally, I see the COEXIST thing as an ideal built on quickand or worse.

It is a 'nice' political slogan without any possibility of fulfillment. None.

I suspect that the globalists even authored it as a means to mollify more citizens while they worked more of their skullduggary under the table.

Wish I saw it differently.

But that's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the chance to comment.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm here to read about the strange and unusual. My avatar, i feel, represents just that - being in itself strange and unusual. My avatar will often change, but will almost always be something out of the ordinary.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rivos

Quick response from end-of-thread scan . . .

I think I've met folks like your avatar.

My mother's oldest sister, for one. Bless her heart. She always means well . . . in several thousand words.

Well done avatar given your goals.

What do you believe are the top 3 motivations for your seeking out the

strange and unusual?

What led you to choose this particular avatar at this particular time?

What are you hoping/expecting viewers to respond wtih--internally and in communications about your avatar?

Thanks for your kind contribution to our thread.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
Though it looks like that day is far nearer on the horizon than ever before in the history of the world.

There's NO possibility for genuine Islam to coexist with anything else over the long haul.

Satanists, likewise are never going to be buddy buddy with Pentecostals nor vice versa.

Even rabid Hindus burn Christians to death in our era.

In any case, worship of the world ruler will be mandated and all who won't will be killed. That much is quite clear from a number of prophetic sources, including the Bible.

The above statements contradict each other. Of the major religions Christianity (33.06% of world population), Islam (20.28%), Hinduism (13.33%).

There are a BILLION Muslims and they aren’t likely to start worshipping a non Muslim leader, likewise I doubt if the Christians will take to worshipping a Muslim leader. I suppose one could just kill them all, but that would be a LOT of work and really just isn't feasible.

Then there are the Jews who surely will only worship one of their own, and the masses of Hindus and…well…on and on.

Looks like we are safe from a unanimous decision on “who to worship” for quite sometime.

[edit on 14-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
And I thought mine was just to give thought and humor to the reader...

Some might well think that. I doubt all would leap to that as the first conclusion.

I guess some would think that it me on the tricycle.

Didn't think that. Clothing etc. seems too dated, somehow.

But my intent was that the child was more of the types of people that cry and complain without offering suggestions or taking actions to solve problems.

Ahhhhhh . . . certainly a worthy goal--to highlight that abominal human tendency. I have a very strong distaste for that, too.

Saddly I liked Plucky's cat-girl avatar, although I admit it does make some of your posts read more like they were said in character as opposed to self-expression.

That's sure a pregnant issue. I wonder how many that's true for.

Then there's the issue of folks choosing their avatar BECAUSE it matches their personality so closely. I doubt they have a lot of angst about whether or not they are posting "in character."

And I have U2U neformore as to the identity of that very attractive redhead he used for quite some time in various pictures. Because she looked familar but I couldn't quite place her.

Goodness! Would that be ATS incestuous or what? (joke, folks, joke)

As far as a dark and scary avatar that I did use:

Certainly that could cause some screams of a lot of experiencers who quasi consciously remember their experiences but barely.

Not sure what I'd add about your current avatar.

The boy certainly seems some flavor of pathetic. Maybe a little pitiable around the edges.

The colors are light and bright enough. it's the teary face that seems to be the big negative.

The square wheel is mostly just funny, I think.

The wording seems mosly lost or . . . muffled, somehow. Fits but seems not near as potent or interesting as the pic--to me.

The aliens prob/operation pic . . .

Plenty dark and frightful for anyone anywhere near such an experience, I'd wager.

Otherwise . . . not sure what the average viewer would react with.

I doubt it would be met with

"Yeah, probe there!"

Unless maybe it was . . . welllll anyway . . . !!!

What were you hoping viewers would react/respond with?

Thanks for the opportunity to comment on your avatas and for your substantive contribution to our thread.

says something I think.

How would you summarize what you think it says?

[edit on 14/7/2008 by BO XIAN]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Trustnoone1987

I assume AshleyD or someone has let you know.

I think the "manual" page has directions.

I'm still ignorant about such things. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I wonder if the psychology of an avatar is more powerful if it is created by the member themselves?

edit to add that the avatar was the result of pareidolia. I 'saw' something in the mish-mash of incoherent colours and worked it until it had definite form.

[edit on 14/7/08 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join