It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
reply to post by BO XIAN

Because there are many dark, foreboding, negative people out there that are desperate for attention and will get it any way they can.

Actually, there appears to be a ton of truth to that.

That, too, from my perspective, comes from RAD--Attachment Disorder.

On one extremeof that . . . are those who feel compelled, driven, to murder masses of people to get in the news . . . their existence being so . . . dreary or some such that even that kind of exit is preferable to them, compared to muddling along in their pain, darkness and isolation.

Your avatar is certainly a strong image of a strong !MAN!

The colors are certainly warm, energetic . . . the background--easily construed by some as angry.

Not sure what to do with the MrMysticism handle with the image. The image doesn't look very mystical at all--very nuts, bolts, TANGIBLE, HANDS ON!

The chain evokes . . . curiosity about . . . what bondages are involved . . . being fought against, overcome . . .

Is it meant to be a sexy vs a powerful image or a powerful vs sexy image. I'm probably not a good 61 year old judge of that.

It's an interesting section of the figure's body . . . as well as perspective.

All muscles, chest out, back arched, chain firmly gripped, face not shown.

Sort of seems like a very masculine version of Dolly Parton--top heavy.

The fuzzed out tattoo . . . can't tell what that's about.

Feelings evoked:

--power
--curiosity
--concern
--a bit of wariness
--'By all means, you first--no, be my guest! . . . ' LOL.
--Part of me wants to join his crusade, whatever it is. The assumption is that he's on the side of good and right. Not sure why that assumption is there. Maybe that's my stuff.

--wistfulness. Part of me--a big part of me--hopes he has some place warm and comfortable to recover in . . . with a loving beautiful honey and some adoring kids.

Questions:

1. What feelings did the image evoke in you?

2. What did you hope the viewers would respond with?

3. What do you most identify with in the image?

4. What parts of you are most connected to the image?

5. What parts of you are in most contrast to the image?

Thanks much for your significant contribution to our thread.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Nah, Having a "tough" icon is just the machismo coming out from the wanna be geeks. No big deal.

[edit on 15-7-2008 by ATS4dummies]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ATS4dummies

LOL.

Welllllll,

in my book, lots of geeks are plenty tough.

Your DUMMIES avatar is very funny.

Reminds me of a line a Pastor often used . . .

Christians behave so poorly so often, sometimes, God must be sorry He didn't save monkeys.

I assume your avatar's purpose is primarily humor. If I have any other comments when I return to it in sequence, I'll make them, then.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rumrunner

I am sorry to say this to you, but your avatar is the personification of the New World Order which was behind the making of the movie which you so proudly advertise.
This movie was a historical falsification.
So in a sense you are helping the NOW to propagate lies

kacou

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by BO XIAN

There's NO possibility for genuine Islam to coexist with anything else over the long haul.

Satanists, likewise are never going to be buddy buddy with Pentecostals nor vice versa.

Even rabid Hindus burn Christians to death in our era.

Why don't you add church-burning Buddhists in Sri Lanka?

Or Hindu radicals who break up Christian revival meetings in India?

You see, what you are actually saying is that Christianity cannot coexist with these religions. Christianity can't coexist with any religion, because it keeps trying to steal adherents from the others. Christians evangelize. They proselytize. They hound and badger and bully and bribe in their mad determination to infect everyone around them with their particular and specific brand of delusion.

I don't condone attacks on Christians, but I cannot help but sympathize with the feelings of some of the attackers. Christianity, in its evangelical guise, is a very objectionable faith.

Muslims have coexisted very well with Hindus, Christians, Jews and many others at different periods of history. Evangelical Christianity, unless forced to do so by the powers that be, has never coexisted peacefully with anybody.

as a satanist, i have many friends, muslim, christian, and so on. we are all very buddy buddy because while our religions shape us, they do not define us. but that is waaaaaaay off topic.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by re22666

True.

That's quite off topic.

Perhaps a suitable thread could be started in the proper forum.

Pondering.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by miguelbmx
This is what mine means to me. I like ninjas and how they are but shadows to the rest of the world( kinda like me).

Hmmmmm . . . .

Thanks much for your kind words and substantive contribution to our thread.

but shadows to the rest of the world.

1. What do you like most about being a shadow to the rest of the world?

2. If you had to be the opposite of a shadow to the rest of the world, what role would you choose and what would you hope to accomplish?

I want to be a sniper, I usually close my left eye to look through the scope(get it?),

I once had an instructor assert that one needed to train one'sself to just look through with the chosen eye and ignore the other eye info. That if one squinted, closed the other eye etc. one would tend to insert another factor into the aiming that made it less likely to be accurate. I don't know. he was the expert. But that's the gist of what he said.

1. What do you expect to be your most likely targets as a sniper?
2. What would you most like about such a role?
3. How would you trust the info that the target was worthy death?

I'm always tired or sleepy (hence the sleepy eye), dark back ground, (because not all of my friends truly know me),

1. Does that mean you are a 'night person?'
2. What's the most discipline, industriouisness, diligence you've ever shown on one project?
3. Being a good sniper takes a lot of training and disciline. Do you relish that?

and the cool hair( because I can be the coolest dude once you get to know me)

I could readily believe that.

1. What are the 3 coolest things about you, once someone gets to know you?
2. What are your 2 most consistently highest priorities in relationships?

and the green vest because I like the military.(it all goes together with the sniper/ninja type persona) .

1. What 3 things do you most like about the military?
2. How would you handle waking up one day and realizing that the senior level military bosses were thoroughly evil sending troops on hideously traitorous missions?

My responses to your avatar . . .

1. Very clever. Conveys well precisely what you articulated so clearly.
2. I'm not sure how much difference some folks will discern between "sleepy" vs "dopey."

3. The cartoon aspect . . . not just that it IS a cartoon . . . but that the whole personna of the character is kind of cartoonish . . . sort of contradicts the seriousness of the chosen themes it's supposed to represent. Oddly.

4. Comes across as kind of fun and maybe even a bit of a silly-rabbit in a good way.

5. The colors and tones are light enough--doesn't come across that dark nor foreboding . . . even with the black background and military aspects.

Much appreciate your contribution.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ego. Ill vote for the attention getting factor. Either way, what is dark and what is light is relative to a persons perspective, I think the dark avatars are cute, they say to me, "look at me, Im dark and mysterious" and that makes me giggle inside for some reason. I chose my avatar to hopefully say "look at me, im light and mysterious" so... But really, its an Ego thing, people without avatars probably dont really care too much what others think of them and are not self centered, whereas people with Avatars probably do/are. I speak from experience, as much as I would love to not have an avatar, that silly ego in me says "do it, get that little bit of extra attention, maybe someone will understand it and then you could have a new friend"
So on another note, perhaps it is not so much an ego thing, but perhaps people choose the avatars they do to attract like minded individuals, not so much for shock factor or to be dark or light, but to just 'be', and hopefully find some friends who 'be' in a similar method or fashion.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Bo Xian, maybe you have not gotten to it yet, but I'd love to hear your theory on my avatar. I don't think it's dark, but I like the colors and the strangeness of it.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I look at conspiracies from two sides.
One side is for secrecy and one side is for revelation.
I use the grail to illustrate that it is a personal quest, to find truth and in the end is light.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Secrecy vs revelation.

Who is driving the secrecy?

Who is driving the revelation?

I love all the colors in your avatar . . . though my favorite blue is under-represented! Harumph! LOL.

The colors to me connote joy, life, vibrancy, vitality, hope, fun . . .

Oddly, there's sort of a disturbing looking face effect with the cup being the mouth and the green leaf dohickies being eyes.

I like your assertion about searching for truth as a quest and ending in light.

Accept the Light of The World sounds rather Christian. I hope so!

Much appreciate your contribution to our thread.

Blessings,

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danelle
I don't think it's dark, but I like the colors and the strangeness of it.

Jumping the Q are you! LOL.

Am honored that you'd bother . . . No, I just hadn't gotten that far . . .

BRBack . . . .

Your avatar comes across to me as . . .

1. kind of beautiful; kind of cute.

2. The eyes come across quite intensely and possibly somewhat mean looking.

3. When I enlarge the image, the eyes don't seem as mean, for some reason.

4. There's a kind of galactic . . . space apparation flavor to it. and a bit spooky on that score.

5. Feelings evoked . . . delight in the colorfulness; a bit of a humorous feeling; a bit of wariness about the eyes; A lot of curiosity about the origins of themes and values resulting in this as a chosen avatar.

6. What do you hope viewers will respond with, feel, think on seeing it?

7. What do you most resonate with about it?

8. What aspects of your personality are most represented in it?

Thanks much for the kindness of your contribution to our thread.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
reply to post by re22666

True.

That's quite off topic.

Perhaps a suitable thread could be started in the proper forum.

Pondering.

what can i say. i couldnt help but respond to something that seemed a wholly ignorant statement to make about people's religions on any thread. my appologies for derailing.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I really like my dogs, so, I rotate through some of my favorite dog photos.

They aren't negative, just really fast(and sweet)

[edit on 7/15/2008 by llpoolej]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Dark? Foreboding? OK, I didn't put any tongues in it, so that's a point for me...

INDEED. Several points for you on that score! LOL.

. . . from the back, there does seem to be a resemblance. Maybe it's the hat? (I wear a black Stetson.)

When did you begin wearing a black Stetson? What part of the country are you in? How many of your peers wore Stetsons at that time? Stetsons are plenty cool, imho.

Also, I have found through life that there are times where violence is the only reason that can be counted on. A sad fact, but true nonetheless.

Not totally sure what you precisely mean by "the only reason that can be counted on . . . "

I would agree that in some contexts at some times . . . violence is the only sensible thing.

I have also learned that the threat of violence is a more effective deterrent than violence itself. So, I tend to stay to the shadows, as darkness tends to create an aura of fear among the silly creatures that share this planet with me, and therefore they leave me be more readily.

Yeah, I think you got that right enough.

1. What are the 3 main origins of the desire to be more . . . what . . . left alone or merely alone?

2. When you want to feel nonsexually close to others . . . what is your preferred context and activity?

I'm really not an evil person (unless you count that one time I.... J/K
), but I am one who will fight to the bitter end for a cause worth fighting for.

Much agree with you on that score. Seems like too few are like that any more. Is it the dumbing down of society? The drugging out to lethargic blah of society . . . what???

I am also one who will help a stranger in distress at any given opportunity.

Yeah, i've gotten myself in trouble more than a few times trying to be too helpful in the wrong context to the wrong sorts of people. I still have that bent, though.

That's what my avatar says to me, perhaps it says something different to others.

Will give it a shot . . .

1. Dark it is. yet, the warm glow defining the figure moderates that somewhat.

2. The gun certainly speaks of heavy duty potential violence.

3. Yet, the crossed hands in back are fairly relaxed looking. The guy doesn't seem like an anxious, compulsive murderer, to me.

4. Strikes me as you wrote, serious about his priorities and values.

5. evoked feelings:

Curious. Impressed. respectful.

Thanks for your significant contribution to our thread.

I am thinking about making a RL pic of myself (no tongues, I promise.
) into an avatar, just haven't gotten around to it. No promises that it won't be worse than this one though...

TheRedneck

Plese ping me . . . ooops ATS doesn't have pings . . . welll, if you post it on this thread . . . I'll see it.

Blessings,

[edit on 15/7/2008 by BO XIAN]

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I changed my avatar to me. I was told I looked like a female human alien
hybrid. lol I'm pretty sure its the 5 head and giant eyeballs!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Nothing dark or foreboding about my avatar. In fact it's a symbol of hope, a bold look to the future for our country and for all mankind.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Mine isn't negative!!

LOL.

I am not familiar with the movie or TV show.

But he sure seems to have lots of horrific baggage assoicated with him.

Plenty dark color-wise.

Darker in terms of the motifs present, imho.

The knife, the wording, the facial expressions . . .

Nothing to cheer about here, imho.

=======

Curiosities:

1. What does this represent to you?
2. What 3 factors most influenced your selection of this avatar?

3. What 2-3 responses did you most want viewers to have?
4. What 1-2 things in the avatar do you most identify with?

5. What 1-2 things in the avatar most repulse you?

6. What's the greatest example of humility that you've ever witnessed?
7. What's the greatest example of humility that you've ever demonstrated?

Feelings evoked:

--Curiosity
--slight amazement
--some disgust
--puzzlement

Thanks for your contribution to our thread.

cheers.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

In the end I probably wouldnt differentiate between positive and negative avatars but quality/classy and tasteless/low-quality avatars.

So which one is mine: Tasteless or Low-quality? Just kidding

reply to post by BO XIAN

Oooh! Oooh! Would you analyze mine, pretty please?

I just changed to this one a couple days ago. The one I had before that was

I have to ask, howcome you don't have an avatar, BO XIAN?

This thread has been a good read and I'm definitely interested in the reasearch posted that suggested an avatar had as much influence over a person's behahvior as their outward appearance.

[edit on 7/16/2008 by sc2099]

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This has made me think about why I have my avatar for 4 years, just about the entire time Ive been visiting here. Even my mood quote has stayed the same.
I can tell you that I am a peaceful person not easily provoked, however not a easy target. I am open to be analyzed as to my choice, anyone?

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join