It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why so many dark, foreboding, negative avatars?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
reply to post by BO XIAN

I belong to the generation just after the "Greatest Generation", the ones that fought WWII. Those were very tough, capable, able to defeat almost any adversary types. Where they got their courage and abilities, one wonders!

What a WONDERFUL meaty reply. Thanks tons.

Yeah, my parents' generation was pretty tough. Plenty admirable there.

However, in many respects, too many of them were traitors to their own best values--not wittingly, I think--but unwittingly.

My mother had a heart of gold. But she grew up "poor white trash" in the South and almost wore it proudly like a red badge of courage. She was an authentic Christian yet relentlessly provoked her son and later adopted daughter to wrath. I turned it inward and Bonnie turned it outward. My Step-Dad and Blood Dad's were similar.

I know very few of that generation who reared their kids WITHOUT Reactive Attachment Disorders.

To be fair, THEIR parents didn't know how to do better or THEY would have done better, too. Eeking out a living was of such paramount importance, loving focus on kids fell readily by the wayside as an unaffordable luxury. And there has been great hell to pay ever since in a long list of ways.

And I think THAT sequence is a big part of a lot of the dark avatars hereon. The anger, darkness, isolation, loneliness, insecurities etc. gathered interest in each succeeding generation. And now, the darkness bubbles over.

. . . just a hypothesis of mine . . .

My friends fought in Nam and were tough wariors also although they didn't get the credit for it, thanks to the media.

Yeah, I'm a Nam era vet. Thankfully, I only talked to Nam on the radio. Didn't have to go there. Think of all the angst that place and the insanitites around it generated. The puppet masters wasted thousands of lives for their globalist goals. What a horror. Refusing to allow any winning of the war while grinding fine lives into mush.

Some of the creatures setting such horrors up are probably quite acquainted with their cells in hell already.

Just imagine . . . youth in their prime sent off to die senselessly for a cause that could never be realized because it wasn't the real cause. And they come home after risking life and limb--often maimed . . . to horrific treatment by the media and their peers and public.

What an outrage. I wonder how many dark avatars that might have generated.

My guess as to why the younger generations choose dark, daunting avatars is that they have some kind of an inner yearning to be tough fighters (like the previous generations) but they have little possibility to do so due to the natural constraints of a lawful, peaceful society. Thus the evil, dark avatar.

I do think your are pinging on a very valid component, factor of probably application with respect to a number of dark avatars hereon.

1. Let's say that the reports that flouride was found in the Russian gulag to molify, passivy prisoners somewhat. Certainly Western culture has flooded millions with the stuff.

2. There's also the Politically Correct mentality that's philosophically foundationless and hypocritically bankrupt a the core . . .

3. There's little to no EARN ONE'S SPURS opportunities worthy of the endangered species MAN, MASCULINE MAN.

4. The notion of MASCULINE MAN has been increasingly rendered neutered in the worst, most convoluted, double-bound ways.

5. The quasi remaining route to PROVING ONE'S MANHOOD of getting the maximum number of welfare mothers pregnant is a very hollow one fraught with plenty of guilt and responsibility, financial hassles.

6. Becoming the top clerk at McDonald's is not exactly Wyatt Earp/ John Wayne magnificence.

7. Why wouldn't testosterone ridden keyboard jockies relish smashing icons and hypocritical memes, themes, values so long proven to them to be bankrupt to the core?

My choice would be to choose something not so negative and dark. Why have a forboding avatar even on a serious? forum? Makes no sense to me.

Yeah, I'm much with you.

Life at it's best on this sin soaked soil has more than sufficient darkness. I don't need to glorify even a sub-atomic particle's worth of it. imho.

And I certainly don't want to have even a particle's worth of it have the least bit of spiritually legal permission to associate with me.

Thanks tons for your thoughtful, excellent, meaty post.

And for the honor of meeting and responding to you.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
i think the avs here are some of the best i've seen in any forum.
there is a lot of social commentary being portrayed from a lot of the user's images that really express one's message and how they feel about all of this.

representation!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

Originally posted by St Udio
an avatar is an expression of the hidden self...

Thanks for a very fascinating, substantive post and an interesting avatar to look at.

I don't know that ALL avatars are mostly or only an expression of the hidden self but I'd wager that a big chunk of them mostly are. Good insight, imho.

Hummmm, thanks fellas!

( I first used it as a "talk to the hand" sort of response.....then I got soooo many compliments on my likeness, that I've kept it since.....)

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

OOOPS. Forgot to comment on your avatar.

TREES are some of my most favorite things.

From about 5-10 I lived in a maple tree whenever I could. I sat in it on a pillow in a fork and read books near a robbin's nest.

Your avatar speaks to me of hope . . . light, life, overcoming.

The tree is clinging valiantly and magnificently to the cliff face.

And the Light is shining through . . . through it all . . . perhaps in Andre Crouch's words.

The rose colored sky and the light with the bit of white cloud . . . beautiful.

I realize it's "just" a pic of a tree on a cliff, and that the above is most certainly my Rorschach response.

Nevertheless, your avatar was a pleasant one to resonate with.

And I thank you.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Probably due to the fact that many here just plain don't believe in God.
Kinda sad in a way.

I don't believe in a god, why does that make it/me sad? If I believed in a god, I would be a much darker, sadder person.
Anyways, my avatar is one of the logos for the band Puscifer. Maynard James Keenan FTW!

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Givenmay
My avatars are usually pretty dark, this one is'nt really!

It is TOO those eyes PURE EVIL

Well the gloomy avatars seem to go right along with the gloom and doom scenario... 2012, Nibiru, end of times, global warming, vampires ,zombies, grannies with umbrellas and death in general... People are fascinated by the macabre...

Look at our movies... and what good is an adventure film without death and destruction every 2.5 minutes?

This reflects in the Avatars

Hehe Mine? well thats the real me don't you know?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
My personal thought is that Avatars (that are not just plain old pictures or names) in general reflect the sides of ourselves that we wish we had more of, or more chance to express) in the "real" world.

If an avatar is particularly "dark or foreboding" to go right to your point, my guess is that its owner may be a little angry at the "way things are" and feel that in the physical world there is little they can do about it. Online, where physical size, or economic or political status are irrelevant to some degree, one can be the "image" of oneself that one wishes one could be in the real world. (Powerful, a superhero, incredibly handsome or beautiful, etc.)

I think on a website like ATS, (which implies that there really IS a "them" keeping things from "us") people with this feeling of mild anger coupled with frustration over our seeming lack of power to change things would be a pretty high percentage of the membership.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit to add; LACK of an avatar does not imply that the member is NOT of the mindset, however. Some members, (like myself) simply suck at making avatars.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
my avatar reflects my first working love which is offset printing in making and inventing new colours, the more colours i can put on a surface the more i like
puting more colour on that surface.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The mistake most of the population still subscribes to is thinking they can fight darkness with darkness.

I think that's a TREMENDOUSLY IMPORTANT POINT.

Certainly the enemy of all that's good has a big investment in fostering such delusional pride. And, it's certainly in keeping with the very pride that got him kicked out of Heaven to begin with.

The whole notion of 'white magic' vs 'black magic' is just as misguided, imho. There aren't an abundance of sources of power in Creation. God Almighty or Non-God. Guess who wins! It was legally settled at Calvary. Proven at the Resurrection and now the wholesale mopping up has begun. But the really messy part is still building. imho.

As The Boss said . . . a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. Any illusion of darkness fighting darkness is just a seductive game . . . usually to tighten the grip on the unsuspecting.

This is, imo, the root cause of all problems. Darkness cannot be fought with darkness, fighting it with darkness only adds to the darkness. Thats why Id probably not choose a negative avatar, except for ocassional playful purposes.

AGREED.

As to your avitar:

I'm a sucker for blue. Love it. You have a beautiful range of blues. And the white clouds add light and life, a hopeful feeling.

The light blue/white/aqua bit streaming off the top of the globe is suggestive of . . . perhaps graduating or some such. Hard to say. But I like that part, too.

Thanks tons for the kindness of your comments which I so readily resonate with.

Blessings to you and all you love this week.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Bo, You and I have not very often seen eye-to-eye on theological debates, however this is a very interesting point you bring up.

I'm quite interested in how you would classify my Avatar? Keep in mind, I do change it from time to time.

I would also like to contribute that I tend to associate the darker avatars with the sense of "cloak & dagger" which is associated with conspiracy theories. I think it is far less goetic than one might assume, although I'm sure in certain specific cases it probably is.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia
I like all the avatars.

Actually, I'm a bit of a fanatic in favor of a wide variety and great amount of diversity, myself. Oddly, I can even . . . enjoy is not the word . . . respect, maybe, some of the darker ones that I really greatly dislike.

I am not offended by or scared of any of them.

I don't think it has anything to do with fear for a lot of us. Offense? Depends on the meaning, I suppose. Certainly some would offend my faith perspective. I think quite a number are DESIGNED to be offensive to Christians, actually. That goes with the territory. A lot of Christians can be pretty offensive--unnecessarily. I've, sadly, been that way myself on occasion.

There are times when stating the truth responsibly and forcefully is offensive to given listeners/readers . . . and sometimes one must do so without apology regardless of the offense. The other side is rarely to never bothered by their being offensive. However, the double standard is often flung against folks of my perspective quite cheekily. LOL.

I think OFFENSE is a very fascinating topic in and of itself.

As hinted at above, I think there's a couple of major facets of OFFENSE.

1. OFFENSE IS in the eye/sensibilities, ears of the beholder. Many folks seem to be on a bloodhound search for occasion to be offended at the drop of a feather. I think such folks have some REALLY INTENSE and REALLY UNWORKED-THROUGH ISSUES vis a vis Reactive Attachment Disorder and God knows whatever else.

2. OFFENSE is likely but 'necessary' when sharply contrasting values, perspectives clash in a given context at a given level of intensity and forcefulness.

3. I think in the latter case, in a context such as ATS, mutual charity and respect exhorts us to minimize the UNNECESSARY aspects of potentially offensive stuff. Yet, let us not be deluded . . . a practicing Pentecostal and a practicing satanist are not going to be wonderously friendly roommate buddies. A Jihadi and a Pentecostal are not going to be mutually friendly and mutually trusting traveling companions. That's just reality. Denying such realities is NOT denying ignorance but CONTRIBUTING ignorance.

They are as individual as the people behind them.

INDEED. And I think that's why they are so fascinating, to me. I love people in all their diversity. And I love creativity.

I have kept the same avatar since joining, it does not signify any thing, I just like it and decided to use it.

OK, my response to your avatar:

It's an odd mixture of warm, friendly, cute . . . on the one hand

vs

in-your-face values jangly contradictions on the other.

I love the texure and the bright colors.

The jangly parts are enough disturbing to my sensibilities that I'd never choose one like it.

I wouldn't label it super dark. But there are certainly some disturbing facets to it for one of my value orientation.

Thanks for the honor of your post and the chance to comment on your avatar.

I notice that many ATSers change theirs regularly. That is cool too.

I'm still a bit clueless. I understand from AshleyD that we don't have to pay for avatars any more. But we do for background images? 2,500 pts. or some such. So, an avatar is NOT considered a background image, I gather. Is that correct?

Have a blessed week.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
well i just made my avatar. it is dark and forboding. I have reasons though. I am not sure that they will add much the discussion though. The top half is a long story but basically, its just dark aesthetically, same with the bottom half but thats all there is to the bottom. i like how it looks. i have always worked evenings and nights, i have had a hard time sleeping at night since i was too young to remember. i like the dark. its beautiful in its hints and intimations. i think its the same thing that draws people to places like this. its about what we didnt see, what we just missed, what is hiding. but we are not blind, just able to catch hints and glimpses. our imaginations can do wonderful things with the rest. i find that all very beautiful and very warm and safe. so my first avatar is a quick mesh of things i have that happen to resemble that because most of what i have i guess resembles that.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN

1. OFFENSE IS in the eye/sensibilities, ears of the beholder. Many folks seem to be on a bloodhound search for occasion to be offended at the drop of a feather. I think such folks have some REALLY INTENSE and REALLY UNWORKED-THROUGH ISSUES vis a vis Reactive Attachment Disorder and God knows whatever else.

What is up with you and reactive attachment disorder? Previously you stated you think virtually ALL the children raised by WWII era parents had it, now you mention it again. From what I understand it is not that common, certainly not something half the population of the U.S. has.

[edit on 13-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Your white background in your non-avatar actually distracts me and I find it hard to want to read your post.
I don't mean to offend you but maybe darker images are more appealing to look at, due to eye glare. At least thats how I tend to look at the avatar's. Not if they are evil or not.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan
reply to post by BO XIAN

Your white background in your non-avatar actually distracts me and I find it hard to want to read your post.
I don't mean to offend you but maybe darker images are more appealing to look at, due to eye glare. At least thats how I tend to look at the avatar's. Not if they are evil or not.

i think there is an amazing point there. how much of the internet is bright and flashy really? anything designed to be viewed on a light screen pleasantly, usually leans toward the dark doesnt it? just the nature of the medium?

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Interesting observation, friend. Now that you mention it, I have noticed such things. As I can only speak for myself, mine is not meant to be foreboding. I am Taoist and my avatar is a pictorial allusion to a few verses from the Tao Te Ching. Verses such as "know the white, but stick to the black", "darkness within darkness; the gate to all mystery", "the withered are truly whole", and another reference to nature in general. Speaking from a strictly Western psychological viewpoint: people are attracted to darkness. Its mysterious, "scary", and powerful. As far as "evil" goes, have you watched or read any good fiction lately? The "bad guys" usually choose "evil" for power, or because they think that they are indeed doing "good" in the world.
.....Also, what I like to call "EMOism" is actually quite prevalent in society nowadays.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

On a side note, I think you might be reading too much into it. People are nuts, but I don't think that everyone is under the influence of "Darkness" as much as they find the dark appealing and attractive. I think you may need to consult the DSM IV...you might have some kind of paranoid...disorder.
J/K...maybe.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Quick reply from end of thread scan . . .

You are right . . . research seems to indicate that 20% of Americans have it.

However, I'm skeptical of the criteria used. But I haven't examined the literature THAT closely.

I just know that in an average class of Intro to Psych, probably less than 15% and sometimes less than 5% show no signs of it.

And, I know that in 61 years of watching families and parenting very closely in all manner of contexts, I've known very few parents behave toward their children in a way that could be reliably calculated to prevent it.

So, in part, I don't know how to explain the research stats on the one hand and my personal observations on the other. I'm a pretty good and well trained participant observer.

Perhaps the continuum from 0% to 100% is involved and the research criteria is focused on say the most intense 15% of evidence for RAD while I'm looking at a bigger chunk of the continuum. I don't know.

At the moment, amongst my current extended social network, I can't think of maybe more than 2-3 men that I could confidently say didn't have any evidence of RAD. That's out of probably 2-300 men or so.

Yeah, I have a 'thing' about it. I WANT TO DO ALL I CAN TO WAKE PEOPLE UP ABOUT IT AND TRY AND GET FOLKS TO PREVENT IT with THEIR kids--PARTICULARLY FATHERS--who seem to be the most absent, distant, unattached, unaffectionate in emotionally bonded healthy ways etc.

AND I REALLY AM VERY curious about how many of the darker avatars are connected with such a background. Is it as near 100% as I suspect it is or are there other significant factors clouding the picture . . . of the pics and their childhood experience associations. I don't know. Would love to find out.

Thanks much for your query. Great question.

May you have a week fulfilling and satisfying in all the best ways you seek.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Torsten

LOL.

Lots of things are conceivable.

However, in the inimitable words of the old poster . . .

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Isn't paranoid a criteria for joining ATS?

Actually, I don't think that's a good explanation for my perspective.

I basically have learned that individuals do things for reasons. No one does anything without a reason.

And, I'm curious for WHATEVER THE REASONS ARE

behind the darker avatars.

I have my conjectures and biases, guesses . . . but they are just that.

That's one reason I started this thread. I wanted to see what others thought on the topic and to see if anything informative could evolve out of such a thread that might enlighten all of us.

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I am gladdened to see someone else with a sense of humor on ATS! I wasn't trying to discredit your topic. As I stated in my first post, I find it a valid, intriguing question. I only hope my explanation of my avatar served to help you.
Goodnight.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join