It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you collect and store this week?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
great thread.
i just recently filled my 5 7-gallon water containers with fresh water. i'll rotate them about every 2 weeks with fresh.

also, i highly recommend doing a google and finding the military's MRE's (meals ready to eat) the "class A" MRE's are actually really good! i use them as a back up for after food is gone. you can eat a hot meal in 3 minutes with its chemical pack that produces extreme heat.

they come in strong hard thick cardboard boxes / cases. they stack really well and there is several different meals. seriously give them a try. -- but the key is getting the "class a" ones.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
oops, double post...

[edit on 7/11/2008 by zooplancton]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Yes water is a good one we just got the water service so I only need to call and it shows up clean and sealed.

Still hunting a good cleanable pump for the 5 gal jugs though......

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Just curious to know if any of you have canned meat? I mean canning it yourself? When my grandmother was a little girl, they had no refrigeration and I remember her telling me that they canned meat. Seems like that would be a good way to keep it, but I wonder how it's done? How does it turn out?

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Turns out very good, look for the book; The Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking of Meat, Fish & Game. Tells you everything you need to know.

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Just stored some more food supplies in the loft!

Today it was oats and tuna along with a big bag of crisps.

Spent about sixty quid but it's all worth the knowledge of having some extra in reserve

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I went to my local Range shop and found a old style hurrican lamp for £1.99 and they had a special on for the small gas cannisters for the old type of Camping Gaz cooker. I got 6 for £3.
I know not much use for bugging out but as my plan is to stay put for upto a month, very useful for cooking.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You've reminded me to go to millets and get some of the gas canisters from there.

Tomorrows job sorted out

On a different note. I just paid £4.20 for a medium fish and chips with a small sausage!
Takeaway prices are getting scary here in the UK!

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
WT,

If you have a range near you mate, it is so worth while, there is all sorts of camping equipment there and its good stuff for a good price.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I always pick up extra canned foods when ever I go out.
Ive also been stocking up on band aide's, rubbing alcohol, matches, aspirins and so forth. First aid kind of stuff.

Ive bought some extra toothbrushes and have been saving milk jugs for water.
We live real close to a spring where the community goes and gets pure fresh and the best tasting water ever.

My husband has ordered a case of ammo for his guns.
I'm getting there slowly. But if anything happens I hope to be ready.

I told my husband the other day I want him to build me a fire pit.
Ive got an idea to get an old cook stove and take out the oven and build it right into the fire pit. And have a grill on top of this. Don't know if this will work but it is worth a try.
We have a gas grill and we are going to buy some extra tanks to store back.
The oven idea might sound corny but I love baked meat and breads.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidCrystalz

I dont know about in the states but here in the UK, Medittereanean style ovens are becoming very popular - Normally placed alongside the BBQ - just an idea.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Underware, socks, toothbrushes, toothpaste(cant afford cavities it will make life miserable) Condoms(cant afford kids) Coffee, all will last a very long time.........

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now. I'm not familiar with those pumps, but they look fine for the purpose intended -- pumping water from a bottled water vessel. The water pump I acquired is for pressurizing the house, as well as drawing from a well, and we got this one: www.northerntool.com... For our purposes, it's perfect and a bargain. We use it in combination with a deep cycle 12V battery, and a 5W solar PV cell.

The fuel pump we acquired was this one: www.northerntool.com... and we use it to access the 55-gallon sealed tank I buried with a fill spout sticking up. I salvaged the steel tank from the dump, epoxied it, primed, fiberglassed and foamed, and then set it in a concrete bunker I built into the sand, with a lid made of thin reinforced concrete. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was just two days. OUr intention is to rotate the fuel, and use it primarily to run power tools or chainsaws...... i.e. after a hurricane or similar situation. Several ounces of Sta-Bil keep the fuel from turning to gunk from hydrocarbon-eating microbes.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
10 baby chicks ($2/each)
salvaged chicken wire and wood for a 10x10 coop
an abandoned beehive full of honey bees (with permission from previous owner)
2 cords of fire wood
several barrels of oak leaves to feed my chickens bugs
parts for another HHO fuel modification
spaghetti squash, cucumber, and carrot seeds
salvaged lumber from the city curbside
a pallet
two heart pine 1920's columns from roadside
some pvc scraps and two hoses that needed new ends
A stainless antenna that I used to reinforce an old wooden window
vegetables from my garden
a few used cinder blocks
and 4 privet bushes sitting on the curb
sea grass from bayside for my organic garden

two huge spiky "century plants" rescued with permission from a commercial asphalt parking lot where they were dumped. They're now installed in the alley between my buildings for security.

I gave away 6 old wooden windows that I had dry stored this week.

I "borrowed" the tiller from the old man that died 2 years ago; his house has been abandoned and the machine was in the rain; I left a note in the mail box with my phone number. I drained the fluids, added new gas and oil, cleaned the plug, created a new air filter out of an old grout sponge... little ether... a few pulls... brrrggrgrgrrgrgrrrrrrrrr. Tilled in 30x30 of sunflowers.

The city planted several hundred crepe myrtles and oaks with drip emitters. I bought a watermelon... ate, saved and dried seeds, and took a bike ride to each drip emitter location....

another week living off the scraps,

Sri Oracle

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidCrystalz
I told my husband the other day I want him to build me a fire pit.
Ive got an idea to get an old cook stove and take out the oven and build it right into the fire pit. And have a grill on top of this. Don't know if this will work but it is worth a try.
[]
The oven idea might sound corny but I love baked meat and breads.

The wife is outside baking bread. 40 salvaged cinder blocks. 40 salvaged bricks. Curbside pecan firewood. A few pieces of scrap bed frame steel. 2'x3' x4 inch thick salvaged concrete sidewalk piece for an oven lid. No mortar.

recipe:

www.motherearthnews.com...

She has 5 loaves risen over night, the oven just got hot; she cooked us up some home grown taters while it was warming.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You may want to consider stocking the following items to make a homemade Oral Re-Hydration Solution (ORS).

MENU

Add to 1 litre of drinkable water (purified/filtered) 4 level tablespoons of sugar (white, brown or even honey), add 1 level tablespoon of salt. If available add the juice of 1 squeezed lemon or orange for potassium. Stir to dissolve the contents and drink.

The above is basically a 'homemade' version of:- Diorylate, Oralyte, etc. These obviously have a few more contents in them.

[edit on 19/7/08 by Wotan]

[edit on 19/7/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Over the last week ( or so) we have pulled a few over 408 (34 doz) ears of corn from our 'victory' garden ( or 'independence' garden might be a better name!).....Of that, we have put 24 quart bags of 'cut off' or cream style corn into the freezer. Also 8 more bags of green beans, and 2 qts of the butter beans that are just starting to come in.

We have added 4 qts of bread and butter cucumber pickles and a couple of qts of canned tomatoes to the larder, with more on the way....Grow your own people, let them keep their poisoned crap!!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Over the last week ( or so) we have pulled a few over 408 (34 doz) ears of corn from our 'victory' garden ( or 'independence' garden might be a better name!).....Of that, we have put 24 quart bags of 'cut off' or cream style corn into the freezer. Also 8 more bags of green beans, and 2 qts of the butter beans that are just starting to come in.

We have added 4 qts of bread and butter cucumber pickles and a couple of qts of canned tomatoes to the larder, with more on the way....Grow your own people, let them keep their poisoned crap!!

Well done! Not only the creation of the supplies but the putting up of the very same supplies. This is truly the way. They forced us to begin with price gouging and now they reap what they have sown with no sales. Poetry in motion.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just got back from wild camping in the Scottish borders!!

And an effective midge repellant and a good insect bite cream is on my list...got bit to buggery !!

The little buggers can really give you a hard time!!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The cutter brand stick works great. Like a mini deoderant stick, with the same jungle juice kick. Does not spray all over and melt down synthetic fabrics when applied like that either.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join