It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you collect and store this week?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kontagion

A lot of folks seem to have this sort of idea, they will take whatever they need. It just does not work that way. Most will give up nothing and take a very dim view of those that think the world owes them something.

Now your here and you can make the choice. Ant or grasshopper?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As I see it I'll be screwed, I'm raising 5 grandkids and last week I spent $1,500.00 on food and the piglets ate it all only scraps of this and that left. I'm not going shopping and let them learn what it is to be hungry, my bad.

Broth, good idea I will keep that in mind to get the next time they won't eat that, rice also yeah! beans should stay around unless they are desperate but I can get the uncooked forgot, oops! Seeds another good idea I can make them work for food. I'll have to pick myself up a large bottle of headache medicine for myself.

I watched a survival show and if at home remember the water in your hot water heaters can be used and also the water in the tank of your toilet, just filter and steam it I believe.

Actually I'll probably just prey for everyones safety.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DropInABucket

The only thing I could come up with is this:-

www.canned-butter.com...

It used to be common in post-war UK for a while and I think if my memory serves me correctly in MOD Ration Packs.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Yep. That's the very brand I"ve acquired, and I find it to be tastier than standard "fresh" store-bought butter. It doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened, but the can states on it: store in a cool place". I don't know it's shelf life....... I'm not certain it can be ascertained, as storage temperature and can integrity would be variables; We've had some for six years, and I don't perceive any difference in it compared to a tin we just opened to compare with when the order came. I was curious about the same.

Just a note: Although I can make coconut oil, we stock butter and olive oil. Sometimes people consider oils a luxury and not important within context of their "survival" goods, however even if your primary food prep mode is baking, I find it somewhat difficult to prepare all meals, especially meats, with any cooking oils whatsoever. Often when I bake things also, I'll brush with olive oil, such as garlic asparagus, etc. The alternative is to boil or steam everything. ewg, or at least for me, ewg.

Also, sometimes I think in terms of tradable goods, in the event of a bad situation. People often talk about precious metals or ammunition as a tradable thing. I tend to think in terms of things folks might not be inclined to try and kill you for, but that are necessary and tradeable -- coffee, toilet paper (we have two cases in plastic baggies), hygiene goods (pesonal bug juice, sanitary napkins, soap, shampoo, etc.) If I lived in a country where I was allowed to posess a firearm (and I don't) I would NEVER be inclined to trade a weapon or ammunition; I wouldn't be inclined to let anyone know I had them in the first place.

Good thread! Cheeers

Oh, BTW, you can get canned butter from MREwholesalers.com, as well as other places.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Thankfully I have access to essentially howling wilderness, but a deep freeze full of seeds and meat and a fully stocked small arms arsenal doesn't hurt.
Recent purchases... diesel tractor and an old fruit press thing. At least that's what I think it is...

Here's a full PDF of one of my favorite books... all the modern amenities with your own two hands, no power tools req'd

journeytoforever.org...

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
We don't stock on what we don't use. This is the rule.

I did get my wife to stop at a local gun shop last weekend. (obviously humoring me) We were looking for some odd very old parts and found them at 4 times the price they were two years ago. Didn't get them but while we were there I pulled her back into an isle so we could watch a couple of customers since we were not going to get waited on with that crowd. What we saw:

Customer One, single man: I need one of those. (m4 clone) And one of these. (870 extended tube fold over shoulder stock and pistol grip) And show me a 9mm for my wife's purse. Salesman: do you know how to clean these? Will you need cleaning supplies? C: What? you need to clean them? How do we get the bullets inside? Salesman recommends classes with a pained look on his face. You know you have to wait to pick up the handgun was all he could muster up.

Customer Two married couple: We need one of those. (308 AR clone) and one of these for her. (m4 clone) and two boxes of ammo. They both shoulder and adjust stocks like a well rehearsed ballet. Salesman brings two boxes. No we need two big wooden boxes. Salesman: we don't have any, sold out. How long before you get more? Salesman: two weeks. Give me a couple sks rifles too. Salesman: sold out, two weeks to order them. C:Just do the paper and add 6 30 round magazines for each. We still have a couple hours to find ammo this afternoon.

Not one person there shouldered a fine bolt action with expert checkering and fine embellishment engraving. Not one needed the special sized rounds from the neatly stacked boxes on the shelf, for those special hunts. They dug their ammunition out of the bottoms of cardboard bulk boxes until they were empty and a clerk brought more and cut them open. 15-20 people clamoring in front of the black rack guns and not a soul looking at real wood. 50 feet of lever actions, bolts, and prize clay pigeon guns all collecting the dust these folks were making.

My wife looked at me and I asked her if she had seen enough. We left, and on the way home in the car I told her about all the times on a Saturday afternoon when I would go and hang out with half a dozen guys and talk about last years deer hunt and all of the BS stories that flew around in that place on the weekends more than 20 years ago. About the time I spent with the grandfather of the current owner. We might see one or two real customers come in and we eagerly assisted with our wealth of combined knowledge, yarns and fables. I think she finally understood what I was saying about things never being the same again. I long for those days. And no I still didn't get a chance to buy a new box of bullets for elk this year, let alone get close enough for a license or tag. I guess its Big5 or Walmart for that.

For the folks that think they are going to just take what they want, there is a whole new breed out there and they seem pretty determined to keep what they have.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I think you may have a point there about some trading items. If we were allowed guns and ammo, i certainly wouldnt trade them - as you never know when the blasted things will be used on you - it would be rather ironic to be shot by your own stockpiled ammo.

As for the other goods, you have some good ideas there. Basically keep it simple like goods we take for granted but would be termed luxuries if they ran out.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

I was just joking, Illahee - honest!

I haven't collected anything lately, but I have been exercising. Just started back up after like, five months of inactivity. And I'm feeling soooo much better already. Does that count?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
My girlfriend bought herself a nice used dehydrater ... I plan on using the sun as it doesn't require any power.

[edit on 10-7-2008 by Skydancer]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kontagion

I was just joking, Illahee - honest!

I haven't collected anything lately, but I have been exercising. Just started back up after like, five months of inactivity. And I'm feeling soooo much better already. Does that count?

I figured you were kidding.
This new style mind set has me a little unsure about
things at times. People discussing eating each other, and the sort of buyers we saw at the gun shop. Things have really changed and I had my head in the sand for a while.

We generally stock up because the river is pretty much doing whatever it wants to from one day to the next.

It never hurts to be in good physical shape though. That may be the same as stocking up. Hats off to the change.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
very interesting about the guns and ammo and how many more people seem to be stocking up these .

I am in London but will be moving around Christmas time out of the city..with my son.. cant wait.. what is worth noting though.. i did have a wholefood shop a few years ago... if you contact your local wholefood supplier you can buy lots of grains, tins, oats etc...well anything you need for a wholefood shop...at cost prices..which is half price or less... they may also deliver..some orders can be less than 40 pounds.. llots of rice for that price.

everyweek i buy extra orgainc pasta and rice.. have a nice stock now..

when i move i plan to bore a well ..and get off the grid.. we are building a cob house from the earth... lol really ..not me..but the builders

in the meantime as someone already pointed out ...seeds are half price here now...

when eating strawberries next or any berries ..keep some of the seeds and put them in a tin... ;]

blessings

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Good thread. I have my basics covered, not counting my regular rotation of food stuffs, last week I took a shearing class and found some sheep for sale. If all goes well, Ill have a spinning loom built in a week or so. Cant say no to wool in the far north. Never tried making cheese and butter with sheeps milk, but cant be terribly different than cows.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
Good thread. I have my basics covered, not counting my regular rotation of food stuffs, last week I took a shearing class and found some sheep for sale. If all goes well, Ill have a spinning loom built in a week or so. Cant say no to wool in the far north. Never tried making cheese and butter with sheeps milk, but cant be terribly different than cows.

That's really cool (although I'm personally fond of goat's cheese.
)

Do you raise livestock for a living or as a lifestyle? Not trying to pry or anything, just curious.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

May I ask, How long have you been doing this lifestyle?

If new to it, Have you watched the TV Program ''River Cottage''?

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Exactly. In such a [hopefully] hypothetical situation, I think a low profile would be best, at least initially. One tactic people take is to project that they are armed and dangerous, and that can be an effective deterrant, but if the masses are desperate enough, it can also say "we have stuff". Now, if the person really IS armed and dangerous, then that attempt to seize stuff would likely have dire consequences. Meanwhile, the person who is equally armed, but keeping a gentle profile until otherwise necessary, might not have the focus of the mobs. I think it's important to find your own mindset, think these scenarios out, examine the weak areas in your system, and figure out ways to mitigate them.

Yes, on the presumed luxuries. We have frequent power outages, and those events are a good opportunity sometimes to tweak your systems. We've acquired a dozen solar-powered outdoor ground lights. They make good emergency lighting for indoors as well as outdoors. We've standardized most of our battery-powered things to AA or AAA sized rechargeable batteries, and have two small solar-powered battery chargers. Little stuff like that. I like L.E.D. lights for most of our headlamps and flashlights. They seem to use less battery juice, and the lamps seem to last longer.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Yesterday got a package of tools ordered from the U.S.... an inexpensive polycarbonate hand-pump for pumping gasoline, and another 12V water pump, a roll of thin-gauge stainless steel wire. I can't think of much that we've stocked up that are JUST for a SitX. Ours is a minimalist lifestyle for the most part. If nothing adverse happens, then we've merely saved money.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I was going to order one of these this week for camping since we have bottled water service now.

Are they junk or OK?

www.toolleader.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

I am new to raising livestock. I started with chickens and am moving on from there. Havent purchased the sheep yet, dont know enough yet about them to feel confident yet.

Been

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

No, I dont raise livestock for a living. Just a regular day job like everyone else. I recently got into live animals, started with chickens, and will go from there. Havent purchased the sheep yet, hope to do that by the end of the summer. I dont feel confident raising them yet, not enough hands on work with them.

As for being in this lifestyle, pretty much my whole life. My father was/is a survivalist, I learned from him my entire life. About two years ago or so I came to the realization that while stockpiling items is great, and everyone should do it, what if sit x was more than a year, or two, or society simply doesnt come back in my lifetime. Having a years worth of powdered milk and a pile of firearms isnt going to do me much good in 10 years. So I set about learning and teaching myself how to create everything I use in everyday life. Its a slow process, would be easier if I were wealthy, but each day I try to do something to cut my dependancy on society and become more self reliant. Hence the sheep and loom.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join