It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did you collect and store this week?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Ah but you did store something. The location of those friends has just been written into the short and medium term memory.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I am more hardware oriented at the moment.
This week I hamstered 2 hunting knives, a large amount of good rope, a multitude of stainless fasteners and other odds and ends.

But my list is huge, there is a long way to go...
Threads like this will keep my list growing too!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
What hardware are you looking to store, can we have a list please

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
wha??

are we expecting nuclear war?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Canned goods. I always buy whatever the stores have as their loss leader sales. That way I stock up, and save money at the same time.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I picked up enough brew supplies to make 50 gallons of homebrew!!

Also been stocking up on canned veggies, and have a closet FULL of fishing supplies. I started growing corn and broccoli this year. It's hard when you live in a townhouse, but I have enough space in my little fenced in backyard to grow veggies.
I always have at least 20 gallons of bottled water on hand, since I'm in hurricane country.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Earlier part of this week, I acquired a 1/2 case of tinned butter and 1/2 case of tinned cheese -- all small cans. Also found 5 gallons of olive oil on sale, got that, transferred most of it from the plastic container to several small olive oil cans we've saved. Also got another five 10-oz. vacuum-packed bricks of Cuban espresso -- goes a long way, especially if you use it to make regular-strength coffee.

and.... got my order of heirloom seeds this week -- Had to be sent to a relative in the States, who sent them on to me here, as none of the open-pollinated seed companies I've found will ship here.

During my weekly shopping spree at the dump, I came across several stackable plastic-coated wire boxes, which are going to be incorporated into the shelving and rollouts in our storage room, making it somewhat easier to rotate stocks.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
It's a good job I've been stashing a full range of basic foods, rice beans
etc. As well as flavouring, stock cubes and pickles, because I've got
huge vet bills i'm paying right now. I thought that I need to consider this
to be 'hard times' so I will have to break into my stash! I'm glad I've got it and I'll be back stashing a few bits weekly very soon.

(I wish I could buy tinned butter in the UK)

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Great thread. I love getting ideas from others.

I bought a reverse osmosis water filtering system, a rain barrel that I am going to fill with water from my filtering system. I also bought more canned fruit, veggies and meat. I ordered my seeds yesterday.

I would love any advice on keeping the water fresh in the rain barrel. I have around 20 gallons of Spring water on hand and live by several ponds so I am fortunate there.

Love the beer idea. That may be my next purchase!!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
What are you guys stocking and storing for?

You guys expecting something to hit the fan - if so 'what' and from what 'direction'?

Little heads up!!

Cheers

Breifne

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Another case of propage for my portable stove. Another 3 cases of canned potatos in water. More batteries my kids keep stealing and some more candles from the dollar store.

I like the OP's thinking with the fish hooks and scotch. I will pick up a few bottles and then some more fishing gear next payday. My garage is pretty full as I started stocking up awhile ago. Seeds as another poster mentiond is another good idea. You never have enough....

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breifne
What are you guys stocking and storing for?

You guys expecting something to hit the fan - if so 'what' and from what 'direction'?

Little heads up!!

Cheers

Breifne

People are preparing for any eventuality that may result in a collapse in supply lines for food etc. Generally, people refer to these ideas as "Situation X".

Situation X covers all bases from all-out nuclear/biological/chemical war, to natural disasters and the emergence of a totalitarian police-state (New World Order).

Take your pick and start hamstering!

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I noticed a few posts inquiring what you all are preparing for have been ignored. I'll address those.

I read this site once in awhile as a diversion. Sort of like reading the comics or the Star or National Enquirer in the supermarket. This is a role playing site, similar to the elaborate role playing games in the 70s and 80s. To play you don't ask about the game itself, but just jump in and pretend its real.

So here goes....

I acquired ten 5 gallon jugs for water and new super duper water purifier. I also added to my seed collection with a new variety of beefy beans. What did you save .....

See how fun it can be ....

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Psychopump

Thanks for your response. I live in Ireland, so bar an all out WW3 scenario, I'll not be ''hampstering'' just yet.

In fact, I cannot believe things are getting so bad that people are staring to physically plan for a 'situation x'!

Is this widespread in the US or among a select few?

Cheers.

Breifne

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Nothing. If SitX comes around I'll just start robbing people at gunpoint for their supplies.

Just kidding, honestly.

Or am I?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Breifne

I don't live in the U.S., but would still be keeping stocked if I did. On this and other islands, most of our supplies come via barge, and ordinary bad weather can delay or cancel that barge, let alone hurricane or TS. We also occassionally loose power, so we plan around those events.

I grew up in the boonies in northern Idaho, and we allways kept stocked, as snowstorms, freezes, etc. often closed roads, caused power outages. I come from a long line of hoarders.

Having stocked up slowly over the past six years or so, we never did feel a financial bite; now just have to rotate stocks to be using the oldest stuff. AFter hurricane Ivan came across here, we ended up taking 10 lbs. of wheat flour to the bakery so they could supply folks with bread while awaiting the airport to reopen. That brings up another facet of stocking up -- you can't share it if you don't have it.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Breifne
reply to post by Psychopump

Thanks for your response. I live in Ireland, so bar an all out WW3 scenario, I'll not be ''hampstering'' just yet.

In fact, I cannot believe things are getting so bad that people are staring to physically plan for a 'situation x'!

Is this widespread in the US or among a select few?

Cheers.

Breifne

A Situation X can be any 'non-normal' or emergency situation, ie: Severe Flood, Hurricane/Storm, Snowed-in, Power Cut, Truck-driver strike through to civil unrest and war. Or it could be an emergency situation whilst out hiking, mountaineering, sailing, skiing or camping or even driving to work or travelling whilst on holiday.

Why does everyone seem to get it into their head that Situation X means a war or military takeover? It beats me and I am tired of explaining.

People are 'hamstering', stockpiling or just getting some extras because it is a sensible thing to do. Some people shop on a weekly basis so in effect they are stockpiling for 7 days, some people shop on a monthly basis so in effect are stockpiling for 4 or 5 weeks. Others stockpile for much longer terms, ie: months or even years.

I bet if you asked your Grandmother about having 'extras' in her food supply she would say yes she does or at least she used to. Having a back-up stock of food is something that the post-war generations seem to have not carried on from their Grandparents.

No-one knows when, where or what type of Situation X will occur, if it occurs at all.

Its no big mystery, conspiracy, theory or secret - its just an Insurance against an 'adverse event' in the disruption of your everyday living.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I found and dismantled 3 junked steel-frame MTBs to the bolts and bearings for my basement survival workshop

next on the list is an arc welder, mask, rods, and other kit, and half a dozen functioning 12v vehicle batteries...

Ideally, I'd want to run routers, bench drills, handheld and all other workshop powertools from a 10+ 12v truck battery based power-sink and recharged by micro-wind

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I got a few interesting things stocked up last week, quite a few due to helping a milsurp aficionado buddy of mine move to a new apartment.

I got a very lightweight, compact but high quality HK G3 cleaning kit (will work on both of my rifles in 7.62), a very nice folder, and a soviet issue AK bayonet in excellent condition, all for moving some boxes!

I got another case of ammo (get it while you still can, the prices keep going up), and another mil-surp ammo can for storage of said ammo. I buy a case, store half of it, and practice with the other half. I store them in ammo cans with a desicant packet and seal the rubber lid ring with RTV Silicone (can find it anywhere in the automotive section) to keep it air tight.

I also got an extra monster pack of TP, 5 lb bag of beans, rice, oatmeal, and dried soup mixes.

One question I have for one of the posters from across the pond: Tinned Butter? I don't think I've ever seen that, what is its shelf life and does it need any kind of refrigeration?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join