It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion in general

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hey people.....personally i dont really know what religion i am,but im sarting this thread to have an open debate among believers,which religion is more or less closest to the right one,according to what you know?i would have to say christianity is closest,for reasons i will get into once people start posting....my only concern is to keep this as articulate as possible,which means avoiding the mud slinging.everyone can disagree.and anyone hat doesnt believe in god,no need to post because we already know your response."there is no god"..."there is no proof of god"....and "evolution baby,yeah"...i will start by saying that christianity is the longest running of all religions....and i hate the word religion by the way.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
...i will start by saying that christianity is the longest running of all religions....and i hate the word religion by the way.
Eh? How can christianity be the longest running religion? What about Hinduism? Judaism? Paganism? etc - Aren't these religions far older than christianity?

As for what religion is closest to the truth I would have to say none - due to the fact that there are thousands of religions (or denominations of) that if any one were the truth you wouldn't need all the rest

G

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Eh? How can christianity be the longest running religion? What about Hinduism? Judaism? Paganism? etc - Aren't these religions far older than christianity?

As for what religion is closest to the truth I would have to say none - due to the fact that there are thousands of religions (or denominations of) that if any one were the truth you wouldn't need all the rest

G okay i should have made myself more clear,i dont know much about these other religions.i do know they are indeed older than christianiaty.like i said i dont know much about these you mentioned,but i was talking more about which religion that recognizes a redeemer,do any of the ones you mentioned recognize jesus as saviour?i didnt think they did but i dont claim to be a know it all.....but maybe your right,maybe none of them because there is alot of different denominations and religions.i would mainly like to compare and contrast,say mormonism jehovas witnesses,catholics....wel you catch my drift...like i said i should have been more clear about that,thanks for your opinion.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

okay i should have made myself more clear,i dont know much about these other religions.i do know they are indeed older than christianiaty.like i said i dont know much about these you mentioned,

so why just focus on christianity, wouldn't you think that the older a religion is the more 'truthfull' it should be?

but i was talking more about which religion that recognizes a redeemer,do any of the ones you mentioned recognize jesus as saviour?i didnt think they did but i dont claim to be a know it all

Why would any religion other than christianity claim jesus as a saviour? Most religions do have a saviour figure - just nothing to do with jesus

....but maybe your right,maybe none of them because there is alot of different denominations and religions.i would mainly like to compare and contrast,say mormonism jehovas witnesses,catholics....wel you catch my drift...like i said i should have been more clear about that,thanks for your opinion.
Christianity has thousands of different sects and denominations - even more so than any other religion, and that doesn't even include the sects and denominations that have disappeared or been denounced as heretics by so called orthodox christianity. Even the church in Jerusalem run by James was forced to concede rule to the church of Rome (which was based on the writings of Paul). I can't remember who it was that actually said that jesus was wrong in what he taught (will find out and get back to you) - and today's christianity is based on these peoples ideas.

Something wrong somewhere don't you think?

G

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shihulud

actually, it may sound repetitive to you, but jesus is the savior, his teachings were sound, i know oo much about the subject to be convinced otherwise, although i am willing to listen with an open mind, i dont know of any religion that is sound, but i believe in jesus. just because a religion is older by the way doesnt really mean that its true and correct....peace my friend.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

actually, it may sound repetitive to you, but jesus is the savior, his teachings were sound, i know oo much about the subject to be convinced otherwise, although i am willing to listen with an open mind, i dont know of any religion that is sound, but i believe in jesus. just because a religion is older by the way doesnt really mean that its true and correct....peace my friend.

Just for informational purposes, you might want to look into the Buddhist teachings, particularly those of Siddhartha. You will find that much of the teachings are eerily similar to the teachings of Jesus, yet they predate Christianity and Jesus by quite some time. You may also want to look into Zoroastrianism, which predates Christianity and Judaism, yet teaches many of the same things. For that matter, there was a movement that was compiling the core beliefs of all the worlds religions, and they were finding that many of them taught the same core concepts. They were supposed to be putting together a set of beliefs and teachings that existed in most or all religions. I'll see if I can dig up the information on that if you'd be interested.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoHazard
Just for informational purposes, you might want to look into the Buddhist teachings, particularly those of Siddhartha. You will find that much of the teachings are eerily similar to the teachings of Jesus, yet they predate Christianity and Jesus by quite some time. You may also want to look into Zoroastrianism, which predates Christianity and Judaism, yet teaches many of the same things. For that matter, there was a movement that was compiling the core beliefs of all the worlds religions, and they were finding that many of them taught the same core concepts. They were supposed to be putting together a set of beliefs and teachings that existed in most or all religions. I'll see if I can dig up the information on that if you'd be interested.

I have just been informed that I am wrong. My esteemed detractor, [url=http://www.belowtopsecret.com/forum/mem/yahn+goodey]yahn goodey has left me a nice little note on my profile and his own that states:

Originally posted by yahn goodey
from the thread religions in general-----you are busy teaching us that all other religions predate the Messiah.
john1:1-14 shows this is impossible since He is the G-D Being that Created the universe which scientists say is at least 13.5 billion years old and the earth is at least 4.5 billion years old.
when He did Create adamic type man and place them in the garden of paradise they were there approximately 120years while He made regular visits to instruct them(genesis 3) until they got themselves thrown out when they decided to follow satans false religious teachings instead.

So, thus we begin the age old circular debate. The Bible must be correct because it is the Word of God. We know it is the Word of God because the Bible Says so. The Bible must be correct because it is the Word of God. We know it is the Word of God because the Bible Says so. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Let me be perfectly clear here. I was trying to provide information to someone seeking answers. I've read the Bible. I've memorized large portions of it. I am *gasp* an Ordained Minister. You may call me Reverend, if you like.

Now, with that said, there is no sin in knowledge. There is nothing wrong with acknowledging other religions claims to legitimacy. The Bible does not, at any time, in any place, ever say that there are no other gods, nor does it say that they are Satan or demons, nor does it say that you are not to acknowledge, worship, or otherwise notice said other gods. What it does say is very simple. Thou shalt have no strange gods before Me. Translated into modern english that says "You should not worship foreign gods more than you worship Me." Or "I'm Number One."

Also, for the record, although the Bible contains a creation story that would seem to logically preclude the other religions appearances, we are not discussing the veracity of various creation myths. We are discussing religions in general, and when the religions themselves appeared. By all accounts, every single religion was here before all the others, simply because every single one of them has a creation story that says so. However, as an organized and documentable religious movement, some did, in fact, appear later than others. For example, though there seems to be the implication that Adam and Eve were Christians, Christianity only appeared as a documentable religious movement within the last 2000 years or so. Judaism has been around much longer. Zoroastrianism longer still.

For the purposes of making my point, I will now create, for your reading pleasure, a whole new religion of my own. I have written the following on a piece of paper: Before any god, there was PsychoHazard. Other than that, whatever the Bible says is what happened. This is the truth. This is my religious doctrine, as a Hazardist. Even though this religion is less than a minute old, I have documentation showing a precreation story. That must mean it is older than any religion on earth. It must be true, because it says so. I know the document itself is also less than a minute old, but that was divine inspiration. Even the gods must actually be Hazardists. Either that, or having a religious document that says that things happened a long time before the document was written doesn't make the religion older.

Besides, is your faith so weak that it fades in the light?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled deprogramming.

[edit on 7/3/2008 by PsychoHazard]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
hazard, appreciate you taking time, and yes im interested in what you are saying, now i just want to state i dont believe the bible to be the complete truth, i believe marting luther had a say on the books that are in the bible in the 1500s, correct? i dont believe jesus to be my savior just because a book says so, its much deeper than that, which is besides the discussion in motion. how about bible prophecy, you can argue with alot of things (not saying you are) but its a little more difficult to argue with prophecy. also besides the point. i have realized that some different religions teach the same core, which is odd, i wonder if there is more to that than meets the eye....which is why i started this thread so someone that maybe more educated in this might have some interesting input....like yourself? so please whatever you want to put up for my benefit i assure you that you have my attention. so please enlighten me... peace my friends.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Many people seem to get caught up in the Bible and what it means for us. My faith teaches me the Bible is a Contextual document. This means it must be read with an understanding of the context of the people who wrote it ant for what purpose they wrote it.

So to undertand it you must know your history, you can't pick it up and read the translation, you must understand the context. This is called Theology and this is the step that most modern Christians ignore. Understanding is not easy it takes study. Making philosophical connections is also part of theology.

For example, if you understand the jewish priesthood sacrificed animals on the altar for atonement, you would easily see how it is not a job for women. What women would want to kill a bull for God. Women are honored by the men who do this disgusting work for them. The christian priesthood is an extention of that, some men chosen to do the difficult task of offering the sacrifice for the benefit of all. If women understood the context of that they would never ask to become priests.

Acts of the Apostles was written for Gentiles. St. Matthew wrote for Jews. You have to know the context.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I am Catholic and believe it it the one true religion. I believe this because of the fullfilment of grace the faith has given to believers.

The word Catholic literally translates to Universal. We believe all people are catholic, and they just have not come to the fullness of thier faith, YET.

The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ when he charges Peter with being the leader of the Church. Jesus promised it would stand until the end of the age and the Gates of Hell would not prevail against it. For 1500 years the Catholic Church was the ONLY Christian Church. Then some people who thought they knew better than the Divine Leadership of the Holy Spirit splintered off. Now they are 20,000 christian sects, with the catholic church being the largest by far with over 1 billion members.

But why do I believe Jesus came for me and left the sacraments for me?

You have to go back to the beginning.

Creation, was by God for us out of love.

But as time passed we forgot, so God came to Abraham and reminded him how there is only ONE TRUE GOD. Abraham was promised if he taught Gods ways to his family and continued to do God's will, his descendents would number the stars in the heavens. Abraham is the Father of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

Abraham taught his children well, and the Jews continued(and continue today to) to do God's will and were promised a Messiah. Why? Because we are not worthy, and never can be worthy because of our original sin and our nature to continue to sin. Sin is anything that draws us away from God. Jesus came and took away our sins, he was foretold, and he came, just as prophesy said He would. Through His sorrowful passion(agony and death) he redeemed our souls to the Father.

Not only that -Jesus also taught us while He was here a whole new philosophy to living. Work is good Sacrifice is good. Help the poor. Forgive EVERYONE EVERYTHING. Serve. Love. Pray. He taught us to not judge others but to constantly judge yourself and ask for God to forgive you.

When we die we are sent to a moment where we review our lives (according to near death experiences), and the more you admitted your failures while still alive the less angst and guilt they cause your in the afterlife. So this Christian philosophy seems to really prepare a person for eternal life. I am banking on it. I am a sinner. and I am always asking for forgiveness and always praying for God to always care care for me. I could tell you stories of how I let Gods Will be the way I made decisions that would blow your mind.

Although Jesus has redeemed our souls, because we have free will we have to in every moment of our lives try to live the way Jesus taught us, because it is the best way for your soul.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I am Pagan and believe it to be true. I can sit and spout about how the Christian faiths stole our symbols and our holidays and twisted them but I have two issues.

1. You have to do what's right for you

and 2...and no offense

but jesus is the savior, his teachings were sound, i know oo much about the subject to be convinced otherwise,

once again...this is a totally non-venomous response...

Then why post this? It seems to me you have your mind made up and while you mentioned you are willing to listen to other denominations, are the rest of us not good enough to give our opinions?

just because a religion is older by the way doesnt really mean that its true and correct

And just because a religion is followed by the greater slice of the human pie doesn't mean it is correct either

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

lol

ok then, thanks for the reply.

now i dont have my mind made up, and thats exactly why i started this thread is because i WANT to hear everyones opinion, as a matter of fact, i denounce all religion just recently, god doesnt need religion, i dont need religion, religion needs man.

but thanks for the personal attack without contributing anything, now what about your opinion?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Ok let me requote myself...

1. You have to do what's right for you

my first point....

I am Pagan and believe it to be true.

My opinion as you asked in the beggining

Then why post this? It seems to me you have your mind made up and while you mentioned you are willing to listen to other denominations, are the rest of us not good enough to give our opinions?

My simple question because you yourself said

but maybe your right,maybe none of them because there is alot of different denominations and religions.i would mainly like to compare and contrast,say mormonism jehovas witnesses,catholics....wel you catch my drift

To me, your drift was you were not interested in ideas outside of Christian-based religions when your OP and title make it sound as if you wanted all opinions.

and last but not least...

once again...this is a totally non-venomous response...

As in that wasn't an attack. You asked my opinion and I gave it to you. It felt to me as if you were disinterested in responses outside of denominations and you've already claimed you don't want to hear from anyone who may be athiest or agnostic so hence people may feel a bit left out.

So no...thank you for claiming a personal attack

You asked for the contribution of

which religion is more or less closest to the right one,according to what you know?

I answered, hence a contribution was made but if you need a longer paragraph then so be it but I was not aware that was what you looked for.

Now...

I follow Paganism and I feel it to be most true because it allows for the freedom of man and woman to believe whatever they like. Even those that hate us we respect, at least the good ones do. The other thing is that I feel alot of other religions place women on a seperate and lower tier. I can't abide by that. My wife is simply equal to me. She is no more than I and she is no less than I and frankly any book that tells me differently won't hold my attention.

-Kyo

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Have you read about the Dead Sea Scrolls that contain many books that were excluded from the Bible? They go on to describe a Jesus that was not a divine saviour but merely a normal human being with some good ideas and teachings.

Watch the following series:
uk.youtube.com...

Also watch:
video.google.com...

Why don't you accept this material as truth?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I go along with David, in the Bible, and believe God is my savior.
God saved someone, in history, who was killed for being the King of the Jews. God raised that person from the dead and I hope that God will raise me, just as He raised that person.
If you get too caught up in quibbling about what all happened in that person's life, we miss the point. No matter who or what he was, it was God's message and God's works, through him that saves us.
I know that person as Jesus. There are plenty of people who would like to quibble even over the point of the proper pronunciation of that name. Again it misses the point. The important thing is God. People would like to quibble over that name too. Again, that misses the point. So, I believe in whatever Divine being raised that person who was and is and will be, King.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
first i think everyone needs to look at the dates of the posts, ok after that realize that thoughts and opinions are subject to change at my own disposition. yes my views have changed in a short time.

when i said christianity was the longest running religion, that was nothing more than to get some responses because i didnt think many people would bite on this subject, and i was right.

so if anyone has anything else to add, i would love to hear it as my thoughts are still subject to change at any given time.

peace

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky

Acts of the Apostles was written for Gentiles. St. Matthew wrote for Jews. You have to know the context.

it was written for jew and gentile alike if you take it in context. we being the gentile, right?

i understand what youre saying though.

peace

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
When we use the word "religion" - it most always refers to a group of people who agree on specific beliefs and practices. Since Jesus said, the path is narrow - I only see room for "me" as I head down that narrow path. I don't want to bump elbows with anyone - so get out of my way, this is the one path I must travel alone.

Now who is going to arrive first, the individual on the narrow path or the group think tank?

Peter answered correctly about who Jesus really is - the Christ. It's the foundation of a persons belief, but I would encourage everyone to be like the disciple whom Jesus loved. That's the relationship to have - to be able to lean back on Jesus, ask him "anything" and he'll answer.

Even Peter understood this relationship. Fellowship is good but a personal relationship is better.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentGem

www.sacred-texts.com...

www.earlychristianwritings.com...

www.pseudepigrapha.com...

these are some writings, im not sure what to call them really, but interesting stuff, if you havent already, check some out.

and yes i have read the apocrypha.

and also the lost books of the bible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join