It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name Any "Inconsistency" Of The Bible, And I'll Explain How It's NOT Inconsistent

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It's been a while now and you still haven't answered that last question... did you forget?

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ok how about this one. Those peoples generation had definitely expired. The kingdom of god has not come.

Luke 9:27

But I tell you the truth, there be some here standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of god.

Luke 21:32

Verily I say unto you. This generations shall not pass away till all fulfilled.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Now that I have read through this thread.......I don't think this has been mentioned. I'm not sure if this is actual bible verses or not but here goes.

1. Anger is a sin....pretty sure that is stated in the bible.

2. Jesus never sinned...again pretty sure

3. Jesus got angry with the jewish leaders at the temple and overturned tables and stuff.

By default......Jesus sinned. Which makes for a contradiction.

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The greek word used in the NT for anger is "orge" which can be translated closely to anger, vengaence, indignation, and/or wrath. As sinful humans, we have no real right or justification to experience these thing toward one another. Paul encourages us to take the attitude of "we are all sinners, and I am the worst." (in Timothy I think). Apropos we've no right to condemn and expereince indignation towards another fallen brother or sister. Such attitudes go against "love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Yet it should be clarified that in the NT it is Pauls saying not to be angry -- it isn't necessarily a commandment from God (it isn't his "revealed will" as the OT Mosaic/Levitican law or Christ's commandments & teachings are).

Nevertheless, I do believe that you are right, such forms of anger can be sinful. We have no right to desire vengaence against our enemies or have indignation. Wrath is for God. Part of all of our purposes is bringing all into reconciliation with God, that his wrath might pass over us and we enter into His abundant and freely given love.

Is Jesus sinning? No: as Lord, he has every right to be angry at the defiling of the Father's house. Call it a metaphysical defense of property rights. j/k.

But anger in the dry way we think of it -- frustration or semiviolent anxiety -- is only a medium through which we can come to and conduct action and behave. I can be angry about the Iraq mess and channel that emotion to work for social change and justice, or I can throw a brick and call Bush a dick. And the former is what I think Jesus was doing.

Also reread the prologue to John (all that stuff about "the Word"). If you're not familiar with it, "the Word" in that section is analogous to Christ, to the Son. We can deduce that all things are created and exist through Him -- in some sense God owns us. And I don't think anyone is arguing that getting frustrated with something you own or created when it misbehaves is a bad thing. And to me that is what Christ is doing -- he's seeing that, "hey they're defiling my Father's temple; stop that!" He has every right to do what he did.

I realize I'm all over the board touching on more doctrine than may be necessary; regardless, I hope that makes some sense... lemme know if it doesn't, k?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Wow you may not agree with the SimpleTruth on his beliefs, but dam, his knowledge is very impressive. I am a christian, and my father in law "studys the bible, also a minister" has had people aproach him all of the time with so called problems with the Bible. He debunked them left and right. Keep up the great work, and to the non-believers, thanks for keeping it civil, so many threads on this subject just end up in a flame war. I am really surprised by this thread. It is very interesting and I hope it continues.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I want to continue asa well but simple truth seems to have vanished !!

Where are you

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Its been said on here how jesus is to be worshipped and he is god. Well, I want it explained how the Messiah can be god. In the NT it states, no man shall know the hour, not the son but only the Father. Well, that plainly tells me they aren't the same. If your the same person then you know the same things; especially if your god. Seems like god has a split personality disorder. Also if he was god in the flesh then your saying god can die. If god died the universe would cease to exist.
John 14:16 "I will pray the Father....". Once again, here's another problem. Does god pray to himself. The scriptures are filled with instances like this...Thanks

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSoze
Its been said on here how jesus is to be worshipped and he is god. Well, I want it explained how the Messiah can be god. In the NT it states, no man shall know the hour, not the son but only the Father. Well, that plainly tells me they aren't the same. If your the same person then you know the same things; especially if your god. Seems like god has a split personality disorder. Also if he was god in the flesh then your saying god can die. If god died the universe would cease to exist.
John 14:16 "I will pray the Father....". Once again, here's another problem. Does god pray to himself. The scriptures are filled with instances like this...Thanks

I believe that you are refering to the second coming of Christ right? When you talk about Only God will know and not even the son. Refering to Jesus. I hope I am correct otherwise I am wasting my time lol. Well thats because god will choose the last soul to be saved. We are the body of Christ, "christians" and we are making up the body of christ , when the last part of the metaphorical body is complete, God will tell Jesus it is time to get his Body. That is why he is saying not even the son will know. Becuase it is Gods choice. Now about them being seperate, yes and no. Jesus is Jesus, and yet he is God. Jesus is a part of God. The only reason you are not a chunk or your mother is because you also had a dad. The mixture made you, a totally differt person. That is why we are not God. Because he just made. Jesus is God because he was made from God. Or a piece of him quite litteraly. You know what, while I was writing this answer, I came to the conclusion that it is beyound my comprehension , maybe someone else can put it in better words. That is my take on it, but somehow I think that it won't make sense to you.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I have a couple of questions that I would like to raise. The first one is in regards to the belief that Jesus is the one we should pray to, as opposed to God. It is true that Jesus says that he is the manifestation of God, and is doing God's will, but he also says that he is not better than mankind.

Mark 10:17 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God.

He also says that men are all gods in the same sense that he is.

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
John 10:36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

My point on this is that Jesus was meant to represent God to those that saw him, so that they would follow the new laws according to God's wishes. I don't believe that Jesus is supposed to be worshipped as God, but rather recognized as a sanctioned messenger and example for mankind to emulate.

The main question I have for you is regarding Adam in Genesis. According to Genesis 1:
26: And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28: And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Notice that God created man, male and female, at the same time, and also that God didn't name either of them. It also did not place them in Eden, but instead gave them dominion over all the earth.

Now continue on to the 2nd chapter and notice that some very subtle but significant changes take place.

4: These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
5: And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man[singular] to till the ground.
6: But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground.
7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
8: And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed
15: And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it.
18: And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
21: And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;
22: And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.
23: And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

See where this is going? God made man (general term) as male and female, before the LORD God made Man (specifies individual) to be the caretaker of the garden in Eden. This is also where Woman becomes the counterpart to Man. Before this they were male and female only. I have my own explanation for these differences, but I would like to know what you think about it. Does this depict the creation of an inferior race of humans, perhaps neanderthal men, prior to the creation of Adam by the LORD God? Why do you think the first chapter refers to God making the heaven and earth "and all the host of them" but the second chapter tells about the generations of the "heavens and earth" in the day that the LORD God created the "earth and the heavens"? This seems to be more than just going back over details, to me.

Now if you take the above questions and consider them in light of the banishment of Cain and the mark he was given to protect him from being killed as he wandered the earth, it is pretty clear that there were other people living outside of Eden, while Adam and Eve were first starting to have children.

1: And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
2: And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Cain and Abel were the first born of Adam and Eve, so anyone living apart from them in another land, must have been unrelated entirely. That is who Cain is afraid of when he's punished for killing his brother.

13: And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14: Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
15: And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
16: And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
17: And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join