It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous vegetables

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
What's up with all the contaminated vegetables? I've never heard of anything like this pre 9/11. Spinach, sprouts, and now tomatoes. Something stinks. What is going on?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
What's up with all the contaminated vegetables? I've never heard of anything like this pre 9/11. Spinach, sprouts, and now tomatoes. Something stinks. What is going on?

its post 9/11 living

i highly doubt it has anything to do with 9/11

crops are always something that can be iffy if not taken care of

with all the chemicals and pesticides, its not hard to see why stuff is happening

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
yeah...and um e-coli, i get...but what's with salmonella on the tomatoes? and why don't they know where it's coming from? oh and don't forger the green onions not too long ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

If only there was someone out there willing to genetically modify a safer vegetable for us to consume.....

Sorry, just being a conspiracy theorist. There does seem to be an increasing frequency of this, although I have never met a single person that has ever been exposed to any of this contaminated produce.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I guess my 'Attack of The Killer Tomatoes' t-shirt is not so funny anymore.

I can hardly believe that I have lived long enough for my fav old t-shirt to become politically incorrect.
I guess I should start wearing out and about just for spite

Last week I put in an order for some of those 'grow in the house from a plant hanger year round' tomatoes. I look forward to them coming and I am adding a couple plant hooks from the ceiling by the window in the kitchen just for them.
I prefer fresh garden tomatoes and grow them prolifically in the summer out in the garden, but I miss them so much in the wintertime
I think this order I placed was a very good idea for my family. I wish they would get here soon. I don't want to buy ANY tomatoes from the store.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Salmonella is related to animal fecal contamination. The spinach was not just topically infected, it grew into the plant thru the roots. Why is this happening? I'd like to know too.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
reply to post by harvib

If only there was someone out there willing to genetically modify a safer vegetable for us to consume.....

Sorry, just being a conspiracy theorist. There does seem to be an increasing frequency of this, although I have never met a single person that has ever been exposed to any of this contaminated produce.

I'm thinking GM is more the problem than the solution. Or were you being a conspiracy theorist being facetious?

Are any other nations having this issue? Anyone know?

[edit on 16-6-2008 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Animal feces? Like the kind we use to fertilize the soil?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
i believe e-coli is the one that's fecal. that makes sense. but salmonella really doesn't.

Salmonella is a Gram-negative bacterium. It is found in many turtles and other reptiles. In clinical laboratories, it is usually isolated on MacConkey agar, XLD agar, XLT agar, DCA agar, or Önöz agar. Because they cause intestinal infections and are greatly outnumbered by the bacteria normally found in the healthy bowel, primary isolation requires the use of a selective medium, so use of a relatively non-selective medium such as CLED agar is not often practiced. Numbers of salmonella may be so low in clinical samples that stools are routinely also subjected to "enrichment culture", where a small volume of stool is incubated in a selective broth medium, such as selenite broth or Rappaport Vassiliadis soya peptone broth, overnight. These media are inhibitory to the growth of the microbes normally found in the healthy human bowel, while allowing salmonellae to become enriched in numbers. Salmonellae may then be recovered by inoculating the enrichment broth on one or more of the primary selective media. On blood agar, they form moist colonies about 2 to 3 mm in diameter. When the cells are grown for a prolonged time at a range of 25—28°C, some strains produce a biofilm, which is a matrix of complex carbohydrates, cellulose and proteins. The ability to produce biofilm (a.k.a. "rugose", "lacy", or "wrinkled") can be an indicator of dimorphism, which is the ability of a single genome to produce multiple phenotypes in response to environmental conditions. Salmonellae usually do not ferment lactose; most of them produce hydrogen sulfide which, in media containing ferric ammonium citrate, reacts to form a black spot in the centre of the creamy colonies.

wiki

FDA Clears Two States, Part of Mexico as Source of Salmonella

[edit on 16-6-2008 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hmm Karl. In the 19th century you were blessed to have a horse do the dirty in front of your house. They'd go and put that in the garden quick fast. Why dung has become a contagion is outside of my knowledge base.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I guess my 'Attack of The Killer Tomatoes' t-shirt is not so funny anymore.

It just seems like this has only started to occur in the last few years. Maybe we need a group that over sees food production for our protection. Oh wait a minute...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ya I thought salmonella came from raw chicken. Damn farmers growing raw chicken in their tomatoe gardens.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It is fecal borne.
Q. What is Salmonella?
A. Salmonella is a gram-negative, rod-shaped bacilli that can cause diarrheal illness in humans. They are microscopic living creatures that pass from the feces of people or animals to other people or other animals.

The Salmonella family includes over 2,300 serotypes of bacteria which are one-celled organisms too small to be seen without a microscope. Two types, Salmonella Enteritidis and Salmonella Typhimurium are the most common in the United States and account for half of all human infections. Strains that cause no symptoms in animals can make people sick, and vice versa. If present in food, it does not usually affect the taste, smell, or appearance of the food. The bacteria live in the intestinal tracts of infected animals and humans.

Salmonella bacteria have been known to cause illness for over 100 years. They were discovered by an American scientist, Dr. Daniel E. Salmon.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It has nothing to do with 9/11, but everything to do with genetically modified food. EDUCATE YOUSELF

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Nothing to do with 9/11 i concur with all. I ahve thgouht baou this past few days, because of the mcdonalds tomatos, (they have started using tomoatos agian, it was in our local paper yesterday)
My un=professional conclusion is,.... the food is being intentionaly contaminated, like it was another way to get people offed for population control. For those virus's and bacteria to be inside a vegetable is hard ot belive. They need a living host to carry onto, in order to multiply, aka a human or animal. A vegetable dosnt have the specifics a human does. organs, dna, blood.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Didn't say it had anything to do with 9/11, just using it as a reference point. None the less thank you for the link and allowing me the oppurtunity to educate myself. I didn't catch were it refered to Salmonella in your thread. Can you provide a qoute or link to the direct post.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

I share your concerns as well Ziggy. It is very intresting how all at once vegtables are being contaminated.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Apparently, the younger generation was never taught to wash their vegetables before eating or cooking.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I v Been a chef now for nearly 20 years and have never ever heard of salmonella in any veg.I m not saying its not possable but I thought i may have heard of it before now.

I find it very strange and yes it may be to do with GM foods but why has it taken so long to hit and in such a big way.

Strange Strange Strange

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Green onions 2005. Spinach 2006. Tomatos 2008. And that's just what we've been told about.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join