It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous vegetables

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Sounds that way to me, too.

So do you think there may be a connection, perhaps instill fear of the food products and we'll accept the irradiation?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Irradiation is also an oxidant like all chemicals you ingest including and not limited too, pesticides. It mutages a cell to be come cancerous over time. Anything that you eat in all types of processed and packaged foods contain chemicals that cause disease and cancer to the body and again over time depending on your health and genetic makeup. Everybody has dormant cancer in their body and the more chemicals you ingest the more the likelyhood of contracting some type of disease. The air you breathe, the unutritional foods you eat, your environment, anything you put on your skin tht getts through your pores is somewhat poison. You cna eleminate most of this stuff by making the right choices. When uit comes down to it organic may be the best way to go about it or simply just being more natural then you can be for yourself. People are talking about the cause but never the solution.

[edit on 18-6-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annoyed
reply to post by harvib

Sounds that way to me, too.

So do you think there may be a connection, perhaps instill fear of the food products and we'll accept the irradiation?

When have they not done this. Fear is an old tool and one that has worked many times. With or without your fear they will go ahead with it, they dont need your permission(who stand's up to them when you think about it). There aint too many fighters for health freedom these days. It starts with changing yourself, its the only way when they don't listen.
By the way they have already irradiated most foods and pasteurised even almonds. Ask anyone before pasteurisation came about if they ever suffered from air borne or food bacteria you will probably get a laugh. Its the younger generation who get dooped time and time again. Yet if we only knew we can fight to stop it.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It seemed odd that the 'killer tomatoes' followed on the heels of something that came out about how 'GM crops were the way to save the world from starvation'.....( World food bank or UN press release, I think.....I just caught part of it on the tail end of the news, so I have no links....perhaps someone else saw it??)

Then there was this (very pro-GM foods, anti-organically grown foods) article from a writer in the Guardian.co.UK.....

In fairness to processors, there is ample evidence to suggest that no
amount of washing will rid all pathogens from produce. The reason is that
the contamination may occur not on the plant, but in it. Exposure to
Salmonella, E. coli or other microorganisms at key stages of the growing
process may allow them to be introduced into the plant's vascular system....

There is technology available today that could both inhibit
microorganisms' ability to grow within plant cells and block the synthesis
of the bacterial toxins....

But don't expect your favourite organic producer to embrace this
triple-threat technology, even if it would keep his customers from getting
sick. Why? The technology in question is gene-splicing (also known as
"genetic modification", or GM) - an advance the organic lobby has repeatedly
vilified and rejected.....

In the wake of the recent tomato contamination, will the organic lobby
rethink its opposition to biotechnology?

source
www.guardian.co.uk...

Makes me wonder if the scare tactics aren't courtesy of some one like Monsanto or some other big pharma that produces the genetically engineered crops....???

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Whoever rules the food supply rules the world through this power. Monsanto are evil too and through beyond belief. Every greedy elite dont want power just through money they want POWER. It has been their dream for centuries to rule the world.
Just watch this satire:
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-6-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I have a theory on how our veggies are being contaminated. The problem seems to come from mostly Hispanic areas of the US. They hire immigrants, illegal or legal, to work picking our veggies. They provide limited or no restroom facilities. Undocumented workers are non- vaccinated, third world occupants who have an intense disrespect for the American people and think nothing of defecating and urinating onto the crops. The crops are then packaged with only minimal cleansing and presented to you, the consumer, who trusts the clean looking packaging and consumes said food without a moments pause.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think a part of why you hear much more about these outbreaks of contaminated foods now is because we have a system in place to track and recall such products. Pre-9/11 we didn't, or it wasn't fully implemented yet. The procedure is called HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points). It was just being implemented in poultry production when I was working in the meat factories in 1999. It implements standards and procedure for precautionary sanitation and rigorous testing at almost all stages of food production.

Before, much of this contamination just went through unknown and there was no way to know who was getting contaminated foods. So we didn't know who came into the hospitals with food-borne illnesses due to manufacturing faults or contamination in the home. They were treated and sent on their way. 550 cases of illness with this latest tomato case wouldn't have been even noticed in this nation of 300+ million did we not have this tracking and recall system in place.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

That sounds like a plausabile explanation. Do you know what is causing all the contamination? There has been lots of speculation but nothing conclusive.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It implements standards and procedure for precautionary sanitation and rigorous testing at almost all stages of food production.

That line above stood out to me like a pin in the haystack.But why would they have these precautions through all stages if the items were put on sale in the first place. Like if they can pick it up beforehand why still sell it?

Did the tomato sellers not have this equipment?

[edit on 21-6-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I haven't been following the story very closely, so I don't know exactly what's causing the contamination. All I know is that they think they have it narrowed down to crops from Florida or Mexico.

As for HACCP implementation on the farm level, I'm not sure if it's required at on the farm level for produce at this time. I believe it is, in a form, required for produces of food with a high risk of pathogen contamination such as fish or poultry. It's also required in many restaurants. However, each stage of production has different procedures. For instance, in my plant, we had a USDA officer on site 24 hours a day to inspect sanitation, take temps, swab the machinery for bacteria, make sure we were changing clothes when switching between raw and cooked products, etc. This wouldn't really be feasible for a small family farm or your standard McDonald's franchise outlet.

So the coverage of precautionary procedures is different depending on risk and output. I do know that vegetables and produce are inspected upon shipping, delivery, and importation. However, even with multiple testings for safety, it's not impossible for contamination to slip though. They do not check each and every piece of food individually, but rather take a few samples from each batch. And there's no guarantee that the inspectors have done a thorough job.

This is where the tracking comes into play. When a contamination is found, either before going to market or after an illness, the product is tracked back to it's source. In the case of the Spinach, this works rather well. The farm which produced the Spinach was discovered, inspected, fined, and written up. (They can shut you down permanently if you have recurring contaminations or are overly negligent) The tomatoes however, have proven a bit trickier to track down. It's possible that the farm they were produced at didn't implement a tracking system on their produce (especially if they were grown in Mexico), but regardless - at some stage in the process it was being tracked, because we know where and what states these tomatoes were being delivered to and there were recalls issued. This state was one of the states which received the contaminated shipments, and for a while many restaurants could not serve tomatoes because the had to dispose of or send back their current stocks.

HACCP isn't a perfect system, by far. But the increased attention it has brought to the quality and the safety of our food supplies is, IMO, the largest reason why we hear so much about it these days. It's analogous to living in a tornado prone area all your life, but only ever actually seeing one or two. Then an early warning system is implemented, and suddenly you're seeing a ton of tornado watches and warnings. It's not necessarily the case that there are actually more tornadoes, but that you are better informed of the tornadoes and tornado conditions which occur outside of your immediate area.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join