It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous vegetables

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

you have a stronger stomach than do i. 20 some odd years ago we lived out in the country side.my wife bought some chicks which all had their own names and personalities---when they grew up and lay eggs--i couldn't eat their eggs-----and when we moved the wife decided to kill them for meat-----i couldn't eat them.

i had no problems eating eggs or chicken from the store---just a problem eating what had become pets to me.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A related story done by CTV's W5 concerning Canada's Food Inspection Agency and the importation of food from China:

www.ctv.ca...

Kingston tells W-FIVE that there are too few inspectors and the system simply can't keep up with the number of shipments coming in. Kingston says there are a lot of food products from China and elsewhere that go uninspected, adding "they usually have to wait until there's either an outbreak of illness that seems abnormal that gets reported to them..."

Morehouse just completed a four-year study on food safety in China, concluding that "the food safety in China is inadequate -- for the Chinese population and for export."

Morehouse also tells W-FIVE that "in many cases in China there's not even a wash out let alone anything that would meet sanitation standards" in the trucks that load meat to the west. Morehouse adds it's economics that drive Canadian companies to do business with China.

Human waste on fields, lack of sanitation, little in the way of inspections: a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
When the workers are in the fields they have no other way to stop and go to the bathroom other than to pull down their pants and go.

In S. American countries, the regulations are much more lax, and this creates problems too.

Growing where water contaminants are flowing freely, cattle and other live stock, as well as natural contaminates from soil decomposition, human contaminates and unconventional methods of farming practices are some of the problems we face when buying agricultural products from developing third world countries.

As we consider the reality of contamination, it is within the realm of actuality that one day Americans may face much worse scenario's than fecal contamination from our food suppliers.

The CDC and other health related organizations are preparing for a widespread and pandemic event such as animal to human transmission of diseases like H5N1.

Could these mini events be a precursor to a more diabolical situation in the future? Or are Americans simply becoming more sensitive to the food supply than in the past?

In my grandfathers day, they ate pork and beef products that could sit out for days being 'cured', this did not mean that after a Sunday Supper, the food did not sit out on a table for several more hours to be consumed as the end of the day snack. Grandpa says they never got sick from it.

Today, that is not the case, so is it our stomach's ability to kill the microorganisms or is it the food itself? Have we become more fragile or has the ability to fight infection and disease been lowered by the types of food and drink we consume?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Personally, for many years I have not eaten restaurant tomatoes if I can help it. I stopped after I worked as a dishwasher in a cafe that ran their cherry tomatoes through the dishwasher if the patron didn't eat them. I have wondered if that is how Salmonella got on the tomatoes in the most recent scare.

In regard to the OP, I have wondered the same thing for a while. There are two nefarious ideas that have come to mind. One, that the migrant workers who have been the brunt of recent immigration scrutiny have been spreading the microbes out of spite, so to say. Two, that the powers that be are spreading the microbes as tests of the food supply and also to create multinational regulations over the said food supply.

Neither of my theories have much proof to back them up, just coincidental anecdotes and timing. The do seem plausible, at least to me, in the post 9-11 world we live in.
DocMoreau

(edit spelling)

[edit on 16/6/2008 by DocMoreau]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Do you really want to know? the source of all contamination comes from the workers in the fields. Illegal aliens are the largest source of food contamination in the US. They are out in the fields picking vegitables and they have diarea, they just drop their pants and blow it all out all over the vegitables.

Do they care, not in the slightest, they are not going to be eating those vegitables so why be hygenic. The other problem stems from the saniation and hygene of other 3rd world countries such as mexico, its a crap hole, the entire country is 1 giant waste pit, except for the tourist areas, but go outside of those areas and see where the people live. They dump their feces right on the street, dog run loose every where it disgusting.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I started a thread on this subject as well......the FDA can't quite get their story straight, they mention various reasons as to how the salmonella gets in the vascular structure of the tomatoes......through the roots, through soaking in contaminated water after picking......the stem-on tomatoes are supposed to be ok ( but don't they get soaked as well? )
Canned tomatoes on the shelves are ok, but cooking won't destroy this contamination.....

my thread

They ( FDA ) claim confidentiality of distribution records so they can't be released so the public can know where the contaminated veg's come from or have been shipped to......

Then they say by law they can't label for country of origin, because the department of Agriculture is supposed to do that!

I say it's time we start a 'homegrown' revolution!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Read through the first couple of pages and am going to jump in with another episode from the twilight zone.

In this show we have the killer vegetables. Our subjects has played with genetically engineering food for a while. Through trial and error they think they have come up with the perfect system of new age agriculture.
Throught the manipulation of all aspects of nayure in conjunction with the tinkering with the genetic code, they are finally able to conrtol thier destiny. No more hunger or famine.
The plants have been infused with bits and pieces of code from other plants and animals, making them resistant to pests, larger, more fortifying. The insects, ie bees were made larger and hardier to pollonize the vast fields of gmo crops. The sky was regulate to schedules rain fall and temperature. It was a beautiful system. They had conquered nature. Or so they thought.
Although care safety measure were taken and checks and balances kept. No one had predicted the utter outrageousness of the re-actions. Disease from animal was turning up in plants, which transmuted to human and vice versa.
In the end, all who were left were the indigenous scattered in "lost" undiscovered tribes of the remotest jungles and coldest places. Too far to be affected by the seedlings of the "alpha" and "beta" stages of the crops, carried off by the winds. Which in turn infected the global food chain, killing of all the rest of known civilization.

End of story.

If we want to turn the above into a plausible conspiracy, google grouped words within it and you will find all the evidence you need.

If you do not grow your own food, what you are eating now, is not the same stuff your grandma used to make, or your mother for that fact. (and you can be a 5 year old).

As far as the current tomatoe scam, how do we know it is what they say it is. In terms of, has it been proven to be e. coli independently, and if so what strain? A common one, or a new variant in the family.

Science is like a kid in a candy store these days. Knowledge is being aquired at such a rate that common sense is being thrown to the wayside. Simple interactions are being taken for granted down the chain while looking at the big gains. Didn't we learn from the SV40 allegations? I guess not.
Time to go crawl back under my rock.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Sounds like you and I grew up in very similar situations. My parents were farmers, although, we had cows as well.

I've always said that I think everyone should have the opportunity to kill their own meal once, in order to appreciate what you're eating(and life really) a little more.

It's not always easy; I can remember my sister, who raised a 4-H calf, crying so hard at the sale, that the man who bought it promised her he wouldn't eat it. I'm pretty sure he was lying, heh, but he did try and calm the hysterical 11 year old.

And then there were the three runt pigs we got from the neighbors. At first, it was cute, three little piggies that didn't seem to grow. They just weren't right. But after a year or so, my folks decided that they'd make better sausage than pets. For years after, the joke was, all the pork we'd eat was 'oinkie', the name of one of the pigs we put down.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Grow your own and quit your complaining.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well i'll tell ya all those fields of vegies are usually work by migrants not that that matters but they do not have sanitary working environments!!!!thus they urinate and deficate out in the fields!!! I think its that simple manure is something but human feces is another story completly!!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stinkhorn

Illegal aliens are the largest source of food contamination in the US.

Where are you getting your data. Please provide a source. I would imagine this statement is baseless and clearly such a statement is made by one who has accepted the fact other peoples are less humane then ones own.

If farm workers are using the fields as bathrooms this to me would indicate the need for portable toilets which is the responsability of the farm owner.

Also the term illegal alien is being thrown around alot lately. One cannot deny that the well below minium wage rate they accept is one that most would not. I live in California and can't recall ever seeing a so called "illegal alien" begging for money. They are out in the fields trying to survive by the sweat off their backs. They have certainly earned my respect.

The other problem stems from the saniation and hygene of other 3rd world countries such as mexico, its a crap hole, the entire country is 1 giant waste pit

Again please provide a source for your racist hateful statements. By this statment you show yourself to be a very sad individual indeed. Good luck to you.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It is the stpaul variety of salmonella. A fairly rare but highly virulent strain that invokes very serious illness.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I joined ATS to respond to this thread. I have been lurking around for quite some time and thought I would chime in. I have yet to see anyone mention the strange correlation between this sudden outbreak and the fact that earlier this year farmers wanted to raise the price of tomatoes by one penny per pound to help obtain fair wages for the workers.

Initially, Burger King outright refused to pay more and only after some prompting did they decide to comply. Immediately afterwards, tomatoes are infected with the plague. Seems a bit to coincidental to me. I am no expert but I also found it interesting that the local news reported that even cooking the tomatoes would not rid them of the salmonella.

According to salmonella.org;

"The best way to prevent Salmonella infections is to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked all the way through, and that you wash your hands and any kitchen utensils that come into contact with the uncooked chicken as soon as possible."

Now of course there is a negligible difference between a tomato and a chicken so maybe they have something there.

Is there something more to this story? I have not heard mention of this on the news and it seems like any person of moderate intelligence would be able to see a possible connection here.

If you simply type "Burger King tomato farmers " into google you will find links related to this story.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Letttuce has also been contaminated by e-coli.
See link:
oxy-pure.com...
A couple of years ago there was a case whereby lettuce imported from Spain to the UK was contaminated because human effluent was being sprayed on it as a fertiliser.
Why we have to import lettuce from 1500 miles away is beyond belief, but that's obviously another story!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Garyo ..wow that is very interesting!!welcome to ats(as a poster)look forward to more inlightning posts. it might be just a coincedence but latetly im thinking there are none ya know

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I have been to 7 3rd world countries, they are are filled with filth that we in the US would not tolerate because they are too lazy to dig a proper well.

Illegal aliens work in this country because they are being paid more than in their own cespool countries. The farmers that hire them should be shot for treason and abiding illegal aliens. The farms that hire them are all cheap assed bastards that refuse to pay a decent working wage and only have profit in mind, hell they make more percentage wise than the oil companies.

They could buy farming equipment to pick lettuce, yet that would cost them one yrs worth of profits. Why do that when you can hire paco to pick it for $2.33 an hour instead of $12 to $15 an hour for your average citizen.

Provide bath rooms? LOL that would cost time and money, they probably tell them to # in the field to save time. If illegal aliens cared so much why do they pollute the border with 15 tons of garbage trying to cross our border. I will tell you why, they are slobs, they dont care and they are greedy bastards. Put that in your pipe and smoke it hippy.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This topic reminds me that a few years back the public was asked to accept irradiation of food products, which I believe was refused. Is it possible this could be a nudge to accept this irradiation?

(Sarcasm) Well, golly gee, wouldn't we all feel safer? Don't we all want to feel safer?
(Sarcasm off)

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Something is stinking. I agree. They are up to something as usual.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

Haven't we been deregulating the food industry for the last 8 years. Nah, I don't see any connection at all.

I'll just go back to eating my moldy pop-tart now. . .

People are always going to get food poisoning. The idea that every meal can be risk-free, germ-free and sterile is the sort of fantasy Howard Hughes might have entertained. But our food can be much safer than it is right now.

Part of the problem is that the government’s food-safety system is underfinanced, poorly organized and more concerned with serving private interests than with protecting public health.

And the fast-food industry’s demand for uniform products has encouraged centralization in every agricultural sector. Fruits and vegetables are now being grown, packaged and shipped like industrial commodities. As a result, a little contamination can go a long way. The Taco Bell distribution center in New Jersey now being investigated as a possible source of E. coli supplies more than 1,100 restaurants in the Northeast.

Excerpts from the article linked below.
Yee Hah!

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Enough comspiracy crap kids!!! And as far as GM foods, we've been eating GMs since the 50s. Lysteria BOT and E coli have been found in sprouts since the 80's The actual source of the latest contaminated foods can be traced to one simple acronym: NAFTA. This is where we are forced to compete whith farmers that do not need to follow American food safety standards. And yes the food from Mexico is fertalized with poop. Human poop at that. So we're pretty lucky to get the runs and a sick tummy here and there as there is also a lot of Hepititus potentialy in the food supply. But then I'm just a racist, huh?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join