It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
But I would have to agree that in this day and age of vast gardening knowledge, humans should start weaning itself off meat and back into plant based diets.

Erm i'm afraid i eat with the seasons a lot of the time, so that would be impossible for me. I like to think eating seasonal food is more natural than eating whatever i want, when i want it. Seasonality in Britain means i eat more meat in winter.

Did your meat go bad? no problem, farm and gather maggots and other bugs from rotting meat, wash the maggots, and fry them, etc. I've never tried maggots but I've heard they are tasty.

As someone who spent a lot time fishing i can tell you maggots don't taste nice. Someone dared me to eat a few once, yuck is all i'm going to say.

You can even eat worms, cleaned slugs, snails. Just rummage through an advanced compost pile or the ground.

I think you can even eat grass
provided anyone didn't put pesticides on it.

During world war 2 in Britain, it was encouraged to "chew the cud". Whilst swallowing grass isn't great for your health, chewing all the chlorophyll out of it was said to be nutritious, not sure i'd be willing to do that one unless i was starving.

Worms are fine and dandy, snails are fine although not my thing. I woudl advise everyone to avoid eating slugs unless you want to vomit, they can pick up a lot of toxins from various sources, even more so than snails. They also taste absolutely disgusting, i can't even put it into words. I was dared to eat one on a camping trip, never ever again.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Round 2.

I was vegetarian since I was 13. It had taken me quite a few years before I convinced myself that veganism was even feasible. I felt a lot of compassion for what other beings were going through and figured I needed to pull my pants up all the way. In which by sacrificing my own personal (and very temporary) satisfaction to alleviate the suffering of another life. Even if it doesn't alleviate anything, at least it's my personal stand against something which I feel is inhumane. I figured I don't condone the murder of people, the slavery of people, why would I condone the same for another animal?

All you Barkalounger scientists can chime in all you want, both sides even. But it comes down to what is right for you. The studies can tell us a million things we don't understand, but we have to remember that everybody is different and every single one of us will act differently to differences in our diet. There's no one set of rules amending us to eat "healthy." There's too many variables to account for, but one of mine is compassion.

To me... Life is relative. Not a "law of nature," designed by men.

Evolve.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yeah i pointed that out a few pages back. I will say it again, seasonality means you could not survive a British winter without eating meat and fish. There simply aren't enough plant sources around to survive on, i know the plants of this country well and it just couldn't be done over several years without starvation being a part of it.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

That was a response to MikeBoyd's comment. I didn't even see your delirious little squabble until I posted.

My apologies.

And if it makes any difference for your personal opinion, I out climb, out run, and can out swim a lot of people, even on performance enhancing substances. Just as I am slower than some vegans and those who take those sort of things as well.

There's no better or best. There just is.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My wife is vegan (not to be confused with vegetarian, they're two different things), and even she admits that it's an unnatural lifestyle. Humans are omnivores — we can and do eat anything we can lay our hands on, which is the main reason that we're such a successful species.

But the evidence is clear that we're natural meat-eaters — the design of our skeletons tells the story. In observing the human ribcage, spine and pelvis, you will note that our skeletons are not built to contain a lot of intestines, as are other comparably-sized primates.

Gorillas and orangutans, for instance, are primarily herbivores with huge guts. Their skeletons are built to accommodate this great mass of intestines, which allows them to consume and digest the vast amounts of vegetation required to sustain them daily. Vegetation isn't nourishing, so you have to eat a lot of it, and you need these massive guts to handle the volume of greens and extract whatever nourishment you can.

Humans, on the other hand, do not have huge guts... (No, fat people may be carrying layers of fat beneath their skin, but their guts are no larger than anyone else's). The human gut is relatively small for our size.

Which means that humans have evolved eating high energy, high octane foods, foods that are high in protein and fats. And that's meat. Our species doesn't require a big, heavy set of intestines for 45 lbs of vegetation because we can refuel on just a couple of pounds of meat daily.

Sure, we sometimes nibble on fruits and vegetables, but face it, humans are the meat-eating apes. Which probably also explains this tumorous mass of tissue in our skulls. The brain is a glob of protein, and our human brain undoubtedly reached its huge size because of our heavy consumption of meat over millions of years.

Eating meat made us what we are, the most intelligent species in the history of Earth.

You can try to deny it, you can turn vegetarian (or even vegan, if you have the balls for it), but cutting meat out of your diet is going to have an adverse effect on the way your brain functions. An all-vegetation diet makes you less aggressive, less competitive, less sharp. It diminishes your neural prowess.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

You really are missing the point of what i was saying huh, you might have an aethetically pleasing and healthy body. If however you wanted to be stronger and bigger then creatine and meat protein would be the thing to do that. Vegan and vegetarian diets wil only take you so far. Furthermore if you were in teh armed forces you would lag behind other recruits. Someone here already posted a sroy about their time in the military and a vegetarian recruit.

The people who win Mr.Universe or the worlds strongest men competitions tend to eat meat. They can't keep up their need for creatine and protein simply with non animal sources. The human body needs these things to operate at it's peak, just because you're toned and strong doesn't mean you're reaching your peak.

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
That was a response to MikeBoyd's comment. I didn't even see your delirious little squabble until I posted.

Well that's lovely, i argue with sound science and attempt a respectful tone and you come back with that little number. Thank you.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

You can try to deny it, you can turn vegetarian (or even vegan, if you have the balls for it), but cutting meat out of your diet is going to have an adverse effect on the way your brain functions. An all-vegetation diet makes you less aggressive, less competitive, less sharp. It diminishes your neural prowess.

Amazing.

Not taking into account the COUNTLESS vegan athletes that perform in an array of competitive sports, including body building.

And as far as "sharp" is concerned...

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

- Albert Einstien

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Why do we eat meat???? Because it is delicious!! Nothing better on a summer day than a cook out and some beer. Beer doesnt go well with tofu but is a fantastic compliment to a plate full of burgers and hot dogs. Not to mention fish. Oh man I am getting hungry....

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danger Girl

Originally posted by sir_chancealot(snip)
However, after the flood, something changed and God said that we were to eat meat.
I suppose he is also powerful enough to change our bodies too? Why didn't he? (snip)

God allowed Adam and Eve to eat plants and herbs, a privilege he granted also to the animals (Gen. 1:29-30). And humans and animals enjoyed a peaceful and friendly relationship in the Garden of Eden (Gen. 2:19-20).

[edit on 15-6-2008 by Danger Girl]

Are you kidding me?

So there was a time when all sharks ate kelp and plankton? What was the deal with the rows and rows of sharp teeth on some of them?

I would love to see a lion climb a tree and pick bananas with its razor sharp claws. Maybe the T-Rex had small hands to pick blueberries to toss into its awesomely designed killer meat eating mouth.

I tell you the bible just goes all out in making the most ridiculous things religious fact.
Lions and lambs were not grazing buddies.

- (Omnivorous) Lee

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Petty arguments.

Like I said, "It's not better and best, it just is."

Critics really worried me about the diet before I had decided to undertake it. You can sit here with some more back and forth rhetoric, but it's different for anybody. Most people eating meat, and advocate doing so aren't eating meat from wild game or fish, but fast food, or mass produced product. Getting almost zero nutritional value whatsoever. Most vegans who are advocating a vegan lifestyle live on Oriental Top Raman and Garden Burgers, in the exact same situation and equally confused as the other camp.

It's all about true health, not anyone "diet." An individual needs to decide what works for them. Once you widen that fairly narrow mind (as I had to do so as a staunch vegan), you can see that this is truth, as it is subjective only to the person and their personal needs.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by DeadFlagBlues]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
People need to eat meat ... yes you can survive as a vegetarian but the body becomes severely deficient ... I dont know any super healthy vegans! they all have something wrong with them .. me on the other hand as a carnivore, I am completely healthy!

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Lizard...you don't know any super healthy vegans?...you need some research, darlin...we could spoon feed you with it, but that would be just wrong. Spend some of those meaty calories on Google!

Blessings

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I just wanted to give you my appraisal for your arguments. They are sound and concise thus far.

It is also my conviction through my studies of fruitful arboreals and verdures that not only is a vegan/vegetarian diet healthier for us, but it is more efficient and less strain on our planet and on our own society.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

Petty arguments.

Like I said, "It's not better and best, it just is."

Critics really worried me about the diet before I had decided to undertake it. You can sit here with some more back and forth rhetoric, but it's different for anybody. Most people eating meat, and advocate doing so aren't eating meat from wild game or fish, but fast food, or mass produced product. Getting almost zero nutritional value whatsoever. Most vegans who are advocating a vegan lifestyle live on Oriental Top Raman and Garden Burgers, in the exact same situation and equally confused as the other camp.

It's all about true health, not anyone "diet." An individual needs to decide what works for them. Once you widen that fairly narrow mind (as I had to do so as a staunch vegan), you can see that this is truth, as it is subjective only to the person and their personal needs.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by DeadFlagBlues]

Hardly petty arguements they are based in science. As for my narrow mind, maybe you should flip back in the thread where i state quite clearly that i support anyone to make their own choice and that some things won't work for some people.

Maybe read the read instead of skipping ahead.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The fallacy of this thread is funny...

You know we weren't designed to do alot of things, but we go and do odd things anyway.

Designed or not to eat meat is irrelevant. We are adapted to digest meat now. We are not designed to eat Dairy either, but we are slowy over the last few millenia to becoming more adapted to breaking down dairy in the stomachs of our bodies properly. That's why many people to this day are still not tollerant of Dairy. Wheat is another major food product we are not designed to digest at all.

This is life, Humanity constantly changes and moves environment, so our tastes and habits have changed over the last god how many donkey's years.

[edit on 15-6-2008 by mind is the universe]

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
It is known that the reason why prehistoric man's brains were able to grow larger is due to the fact the we started to eat meat. Because plants have cell walls, plant matter is harder to digest and requires a lot of blood flow to the abdomen during digestion.

When we started to eat meat, less blood flow to the abdomen meant more for our brains. Hence, out brains were allowed to grow.

Look it up.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
reply to post by Danger Girl

Stop referencing that image. It completely excludes omnivores, which most primates are.

en.wikipedia.org...

Were chimps designed to eat only vegetables too?

I was wondering where the omnivores were on that chart too. As far as I know vegan diets are nutritionally lacking in certain areas. With that said, it would seem most beneficial for humans to partake in a diet that includes both plants and animals. Like others have mentioned, it seems rather plausible that our ancestors were scavengers. Perhaps, a long distant ancestor of humans survived on a strictly plant diet, but, if true, it seems that it was abandoned a long, long time ago and probably for good reason.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

Whether or not that is true is irrelevant at this day and age. I've read a lot of people justify the act of eating meat through a means of ancient survival. Does that not mean that all ethics of our origin should be widely accepted? Rape for example? What humans deem "rape" is common procreation in the natural world. Should we let rapists do as they please because it was once the norm for our species? No.

It's the evolution of ethics and morality that are going to save us from ourselves. Justifying any actions through prior means of evolution doesn't make sense.

"It's what we did. It's what we do."

Grow up.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Deadflagblues...Thank you, thank you for adding that...couldn't have worded it better if I tried...we have to evolve in compassionate terms to have a chance of survival, materially and spiritually.

Caitlin

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Humans have both eyes in front of their head, thus giving us depth perception for hunting...

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join