It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 193
<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Oscitate

so you live down there in secret-town!
that place is very famous i know!

but since we talked about german language anyway i guess my birth-country is quiet clear
but i don.t feel like that!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

Graduate school is advanced study beyond the Bachelor's degree level (Masters or PhD program).

I dropped out in my second year, but I started a PhD program in 15th/16th century history, and we had to be able to read and translate Latin, French, and German.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
German's great. It does tend to affect how you think syntactically, though. From German I learned my love of hyphenated-composite-words. It's so simple: just add a hyphen to two or more words, and you have a new thought-chunk.

Lucid, I appreciate your attitude, thanks..

How about getting a cup of coffee for me?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Yo Orange Light

I'm jealous of the German branch of FCP though, you guys probably have alot better beer.

[edit on 12/3/2008 by FSBlueApocalypse]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Oscitate, Ian, FSBA

Ian - speaking of coordinates under names, I believe I asked you about yours in a u2u once and didn't get an answer

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

so that.s right after highschool?

so you know more languages than me!
i studied english at school and latin.
no french and nothing else.
and of course german.

at university i studied english literature among others - MA courses but i dropped after 5 years (system was a bit different at that time in germany not really comparable to the one in the US)

at uni i once had to take a class in Middle High German and Old High German, they were like completly different languages.

the german language of the middle age
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 3-12-2008 by orange-light]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

No doubt about that.

Surely we've got better something though….right?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oscitate
Yes I do, and not in the U.K. I hesitate to add further information, it would nullify the co-ordinates so painstakingly added below my avatar. I am, however, a separate branch entirely so I wouldn't worry

Coordinate location avatars rule! Solidarity!

And to answer a previous question from someone, no, I'm not camping out in a field here, thanks to the wonders of rounding and significant digits.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

*grin* I also took a year of Russian in high school, know some Spanish, and a tiny bit of Tzotzil. I was a language whore.

Schooling in the U.S. goes:

age 5-12 elementary school
age 12-14 middle school
age 14-18 high school

then 2 years of university for an Associate's degree, or 4 years for a Bachelor's

then graduate school, usually 2 years for a Master's and anywhere from 4 up for a Ph.D.

edit to add - the only languages I'm actually proficient in are French and Latin. I can get by in Spanish, but the rest require massive dictionaries and infinite time

editing again: @Ian – actually, I figured you lived in a bunker under that field or something equally mysterious.

[edit on 12/3/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Would you like a Ettaler Dunkler Dopplebock or a Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier?
I'm partial to the Berliner Kindl Weisse.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Sadly I gave into peer pressure and dropped Mr.Hicks for the time being. Then again, this pretty much sums up my holiday plans.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier please.

The Marzen to be specific.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Big bier!

[edit on 12/3/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Excellent my friend, excellent!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I'm a strudel sucking globenheimer.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ohy Pub. Just got off the phone with my aunt asking what to get my cousins for Christmas. Unanimous for the two older ones? Anything related to Twilight. Makes me wonder how my parents reacted to me asking for The Downward Spiral for Christmas one year. Now I feel old

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
@Orange: I'll take a cup of that coffee! However, I am pretty sure there's no such thing as a happy German vegetarian. No wurst? No schnitzel?
No braten? Das geht nicht!

@Lucid: Ha ha ha my friend, good try, but I'm not putting any more cards on the table here. You'll hear all about it during the debate.

Ashley has not instilled any fear in me., she has merely been cleverly maneuvered into making me a new avatar!

free range .. free range? ... ah, you've been reading the FCP. Good strategy but it won't help you that much.

There are times when I really wish I WERE a dragon. I could eat people who annoy me and be doing so many good things .. reducing overpopulation, improving the gene pool, making the world a little better place .. But, alas, I am trapped in a human body.

I will u2u Semperfortis and tell him we are ready to debate and point out the parameters. It is up to you to u2u him also and tell him that you are ready. Important note for new debaters: In general for challenge matches, the facilitator (usually Semperfortis or Memory Shock) will not set up the debate until he has a u2u from both debaters indicating their agreement on topic and sides and readiness to proceed.

And no worries, we shall debate in English (Americanized English in my case.) I do speak German as a result of having been born (and raised until I was 3) there, but not well enough to debate in it! I really admire people who speak 2 languages fluently. As an aside, there's some research that indicates that people who learn a 2nd language before age 5 will have a higher IQ. It creates a whole "section" of pathways and connections that other people won't even have - sort of like adding another circuit board to a computer.

@Mick: Hey, how about that for a 3-way or open ended debate? What's the best way to "head start" your kids?

@ADB: Well, at least in German words sound like they are spelled and vice versa, and we don't usually have one word meaning 5 different things depending on "context."

@everyone: OT question. Is it okay to put moderators on your friends list? I mean, with our interactions here in FCP there are several of the mods that I consider friends, although I still respect and obey them as Mods, but I was wondering about the relevant ATS etiquette (if there is any) of adding some (but not all) Mods as your friends, and whether or not that might bother other Mods I have a cordial relationship with but aren't quite "friends."

And while I'm asking questions, how the heck did I get a 10,000 character limit for regular posts? I swear it used to be like 4000 or 5000 ....

edit to add:

@SchroDog: Now you got me wanting a Malzbier!!

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Heike]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
Ashley has not instilled any fear in me., she has merely been cleverly maneuvered into making me a new avatar!

I've been manipulated! Used!

Lucid already canceled the Paypal transfer he was sending me as bribe to make you all tremble at the sound of his approaching footsteps.

That was supposed to be my Christmas spending money!

Back to collecting cans.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FSBlueApocalypse

if you are loving beer, please be jealous.
some german beer for you

there is a pub in my town who claims to serve 100 differnt kind of beers!

i am jealous of the californian branch of FCP
far better weather!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

you learn a bit everyday
be at the fight pub club

ok german schooling

it is aranged in grades - you start school between the age of 5 1/2 and 6 years depending when you are born

grade 1-4 (some german states like mine 1-6) elementary school
5 (or 7) - 10 middle school
11-13 high school

you don.t have to attend high school, but you can attend a high school for middle school
since the schools are rather differntiated by the degree you can get
en.wikipedia.org...

so if you finish school after grade 9 it is hauptschule - you are able to learn some crafts
after grade 10 realschule - more in comerce or that stuff after that
grade 13 gymnasium and certificate of abitur - than university

3 years for a BA
and another year at university for MA
than PhD

i am not proficient in latin, but i took a 6 months course of Italian at university and now i am able to ask for the bathroom and to order a pizza in Rome

new topics

top topics

<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join