It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 131
<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Someone needs a hug!!!

Who is that gorgeous dj?
Women's hands on him like an ohktapus.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

There's a great application for OS X called Audio Highjack Pro.
Worth the few bucks.

I use it all the time.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I have GarageBand on my iMac and it works great! You can get it as part of the iLife software bundle.

Edit to add: Fellow Mac users, drinks are on me!

Unfortunately, my iMac is out of commission for the time being because my toddler managed to cram an Oreo cookie inside the DVD tray.

Maybe Santa will get me an MacPro for Christmas.

[edit on 11/6/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
Thanks, TWISI. I'm especially fond of the IQ one. Certainly my own IQ has done me more harm than good in most of my life.

Hey, have we ever considered having coaches or mentors for new fighters? I'd love to have a coach, and when I get a little more experience I'd love to BE a coach.

I've been pondering proposing an Educational Exhibition Match - i.e. an 'Experienced Elder' debates a Newbie and instructs them in their mistakes and at the same time illustrates how to best employ various strategies.

I'm happy, in principal, to be the punching bag -- if the the 'Elder' is prinicipaled that is.

Having said that, I don't presume to be the best candidate... Does anyone else think this suggestion has merit?

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

You know, I'm sure one of the more experienced fighters will be happy to go through that process with you. However I am not sure that it would be that helpful. Each fighter has their own individual style in the way they approach a debate. And whomever you "mock" debate with may not be right for you. At the end of the day there is no real "proper" way to debate, and substance always wins out over style. The best way to get familiar with the format is to do what I did, and take the time to read through past debates and pick up what pointers might be useful to you in future debates.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

I enjoyed the Tournament Finals with you. No hard feelings - all in good fun.

It would be interesting to someday change sides on this topic - as a mental exercise.

I think we´ve both deserved a

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Actually, the only real way to get into it is by doing as many debates as possible. If you were to ask an "experienced" debater, he´d likely only say "Well...its different every time. Debate Method depends on the context".

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
WHOA! Fellow MAC users!! No wonder I like you guys (and gals)!!

I've been MAC since 1989 (except that my last 2 employers have required me to do Windows).

TWISI, I had thought about that too (exhibition matches) but I understand what the others are saying about it being different every time and about everyone having a different style. After reading a few of the current debates I was like
. Why were Oscitate and I so nice to each other? These guys are tearing each other to shreds!!

My idea would be more like having a coach/mentor that I could talk to during an ongoing debate, after I make my post they could point out any mistakes they saw and I would be able to ask questions about alternate strategies I'd considered or different ways of approaching a point, answering a question, or wording things. As it stands I'm uncomfortable asking questions about my debate because I don't want to seem like I'm either fishing for compliments or trying to get an unfair edge over other newbies.

You know what I'd like to try, that I think would be a blast with a "friendly" opponent, would be switching sides every post. Like, you open pro and I'll open con. Then you post con and I'll post pro, and so on to the closings. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Or .. do a debate, then switch sides and re-do the debate with the same person. Or perhaps something like having the "official" debate thread and then having an auxiliary thread (other than FCP) where we can openly discuss strategy, mistakes, etc. and say stuff like "man, you really floored me with that twist. Good one!" Of course these types of practice debates wouldn't be for any points or anything, just for learning and fun. Maybe if people started seeing that kind of a still structured but less pressured/stressed environment to get started in, we'd get more fighters. I don't know.

See what I mean about high IQ being a disability?? My brain just keeps going and going and going like that darn pink bunny and I can't stop it!!!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

You can ask the debaters in this Forum for their Feedback. Or simply read the judges evaluation of your debate.

But in the end, I think what makes one an experienced debater is to do many debates. You will notice that most debaters who loose one or two debates, just quit debating and never come back. Thats why they never become experienced. So one keeps on pushing until a few wins show up as well.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
Why were Oscitate and I so nice to each other? These guys are tearing each other to shreds!!

Rookie mistake...

Actually, I like to keep it as neutral as possible, but every once in awhile, especially if I think my opponent is beginning to gain some ground, I step the snarkiness...

As for the 'exhibition debates' with a seperate commentary thread specifically for Fighter analysis...Schro Dog suggested something to me earlier about having the commentary thread.

If this idea gets some legs, we could do a round like this and have no holds barred commentary for the debate.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Great Debate, Ian and Sky!!!!!!

It has been closed, judges have been notified and I will be bumping it periodically throughout the day to 'show off' the Debate Forum.

Excellent work, gentlemen and an informative/entertaining show that is deserving of a Debate Final...in my humble opinion.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Whew! Okay. I am caught up on the ongoing debates. Well done Sky and Ian, it is esp. exciting for me as I have never seen tournament final and a winner declared -- I have my suspicions about who it will be. What happpens to the winner? Do you get some special treatment around here? Fanfare, foot massage, enforced obeisance for a set period of time?

As for Sdog and Mem, I root for you both....

But cheer for Mem!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
What happpens to the winner? Do you get some special treatment around here? Fanfare, foot massage, enforced obeisance for a set period of time?

The winner gets a 'Debate Pennant' graphic placed in their avatar.

See intrepid's avatar here.

As well, the winner gets the admiration of all the other Fighters and ultimate bragging rights...as well as personal fulfillment...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

As well, the winner gets the admiration of all the other Fighters and ultimate bragging rights...as well as personal fulfillment...

What, no points?

What a jip.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Ummhmm ... that pennant is all fine and good, personal pride ditto, but if the day ever comes where I win? I'm gonna want some enforced obeisance... I'm just sayin'.

As a matter of fact I think I'll start inculcating the winner to expect this type of thing by paying obesaince to whomever wins for say... two weeks? That way when, and if, my day comes a precedent will be set for my expectations.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If by winning I'm not working the bar at 4am, then I'll be putting on my spectacles and wizar hat for the next tournament.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I see no harm in you attempting to institute new traditions...however, good luck with this crowd!

Schro Dog...you already know what to do...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Schro Dog...you already know what to do...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Skyfloating

(although it's coffee, for me, at this time of day!)

Glad you've got your closing posted; I was a little worried that you'd take your extension and make us wait another 30 hrs...

After a fast-paced debate (hey, we beat you, Mem & Sdog!), that would be a particularly excruciating exercise in anticipation.

Twisi, if it's 'especially exciting' for you, remember it's my first tournament, too, so I'm all a-pins 'n needles here, sittin' on the "waiting bench"

for a great tourney and, particularly, for a well-chosen final topic, MemoryShock: it amazes me what we're able to squeeze into these approx 13.5K-word debates! The concept-to-word ratio here is probably higher than most any other place on ATS, or even in the public media, for that matter.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

How about "Real Fighters Use Macs"

It is interesting how prevalent they seem to be here. Maybe it ties in with the IQ topic? Or maybe it's an outdated but ongoing effect of the famous Apple "Big Brother" Superbowl ad?

I love the idea of Fighter mentors, in almost any of the forms that have been mentioned.

I really enjoyed my fight with FSBA once I got going, but it was really hard for me to get started. And it would be helpful to have someone point out what I'm missing, without necessarily opening myself up to having the entire FCP point out what I've missed, if you know what I mean. I have no debating or rhetoric history – the only time I've ever even had to learn the major types of logical fallacy was my junior year in high school, more than 2 decades ago. So I have a lot to learn here.

I also think it might help cut down on the dropout rate that you saw in Round One of this tournament. Newcomers would have a coach to push them through that first debate, not to coach in terms of content (that would have to be done in hindsight) but in encouragement for researching and presenting a case that might not interest them, or even that they might disagree with.

It is kind of intimidating to read experienced fighters' debates, and watch the Pub antics, and wonder if there's any way you won't be humiliatingly defeated (or worse, ignored).

P.S. to FSBA: I think we can start hoping for our judgement soon. Heike and Oscitate's debate took 5 days to judge, and I think today is 5 days since ours closed. On the other hand, some debates take much longer.

top topics

<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join