It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 130
<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Isn't there a debate about soccer teams and gazillionaires that needs to be continued?

Just asking.

* grabs bottle of Patron and zips out front door before octopi start flying *

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Already sorted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No flying ohktapusses required.

That doesn't sound right either.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Sorry if I worded it badly.

dream is ... being fulfilled ... in America?
dream is still possible ..
dream is extant .. viable .. working?

dream has become a nightmare oops

Umm .. that's all I can think of right now, I guess. Any of those strike your fancy?

If y'all give me some ideas on subjects you like, I can try to come up with some more.

And btw anyone is free to use any of the topics I come up with, and Semper & Shock, you have permission to use them for "random topics" too if you like any of them.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Heike]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hey, just wondering how long do judges usually take to come to a conclusion for debates?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
More topic suggestions:

The popularity of reality TV shows demonstrates just how "dumbed down" Americans have become.

The US is headed for another depression.

A very high IQ should be considered a disability.

The health care industry and pharmaceutical companies don't want to cure cancer.

The American entertainment industry is a PSYOPS project.

The current generation of youth really is worse than the last few generations.

Video and virtual reality games are preparing us for a real Matrix scenario.

A cashless society would be a good thing.

Organic foods are a high-priced scam.

McDonald's is killing America.

The US should abolish "summer vacation" so that our students can become more globally competitive.

US Government services and programs should be offered in English only.

As global warming and US economic troubles worsen, the US will become Canada's "Mexico."

Who won the 2008 presidential election is less important to many Americans than who will win the 2008 Superbowl.

Serial animal killers/abusers should be pre-emptively incarcerated before they torture and kill a human.

The next breakthrough medical advancement for the human race will come through Eugenics.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by Heike]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Go, Heike, go!

I just sent ADB a couple of ideas for topics for our upcoming Newbie Grrrl Fight that had a particular slant, but if we decide not to go down that road there are plenty of ideas in the above that I would happily tackle.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thanks, TWISI. I'm especially fond of the IQ one. Certainly my own IQ has done me more harm than good in most of my life.

Hey, have we ever considered having coaches or mentors for new fighters? I'd love to have a coach, and when I get a little more experience I'd love to BE a coach.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hey Heike

Very interested in "The US should abolish "summer vacation" so that our students can become more globally competitive. " Perhaps after you get done or if someone else would want to.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heike
Hey, have we ever considered having coaches or mentors for new fighters? I'd love to have a coach, and when I get a little more experience I'd love to BE a coach.

Yup...we have. It was a valient effort that was difficult to get off the ground, but if there is interest in it, I would love to see this happen. I really like the idea of team debates as it carries with it a kind inherent rivalry that I think the Debate Forum thrives on. As well, it accomplishes the one on one mentoring that helps, at the very least, upend the hesitance new Fighters may experience when first seeing how we all behave.

We are a tight knit group (elitist; there I said it...
) and it can be kind of intimidating. This may be something we want to think about reviving...

Along with the PodCast debates and a reviving of the 'Holiday Skirmishes (news on that in due time...
)', we may continue to be busy until the next tournament...

Oh, and I like the 'High IQ' topic as well...I could argue either side on that...great topic selection, Heike!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oh, team debates. I likey!

My only concern is that there will be a repeat of no-shows similar to what was experienced at the beginning of this tournament.

On the bright side, we did manage to sucker woo Schro Dog into joining the club. Let's just say the place is more interesting with him around.

Definitely something worth considering with the dynamics.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

That's a very thorough and well thought out response.

One problem.

It didn't address the question included in your post.

Dear lord, which side of the IQ debate did you want?

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
My only concern is that there will be a repeat of no-shows similar to what was experienced at the beginning of this tournament.

We shall be very clear with what a sign up entails...

And I would still like to gauge interest and as well talk with my partner in crime prior to setting anything in stone...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
One problem.

It didn't address the question included in your post.

At the risk of making that IQ joke much funnier, I have to say that I am thoroughly perplexed as to what you are referring to...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Your response to Heike a few post above this one.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

The question is inherently answered within the link provided...moderators (presumably seasoned combatants) with New Fighters of ranking 4 or less.

Everything else stated was exactly that, a statement....

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Let me try it.

Originally posted by Heike

What a great idea Heike.
I don't have a non-sequitur link for you but I think new fighters could benefit by the guidance of SOME (not Shock) of the more seasoned fighters.
Thank you for your gorgeous question.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Semper, as reigning Champ, I think you rate mentor status, so go ahead and find a partner if you can and as long as none of the other contestants object I think it will be OK.

2nd page, 3rd post down. Perhaps it is non-sequiter as I have associated the 'commentary thread' conversation with the actual sign up thread. The entire point of the Mod and -4 ranking pairing up was for a mentoring experience.

My apologies if that was unclear...

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Oh I see now.
For a second there I thought you might have been wrong.
Thank god that wasn't the case.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Someone needs a hug!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Elitist? I would strongly disagree with that. My experience has been that I've been welcomed with open arms and let into the 'club' with only a bit of good-natured ribbing.

Count me in for team debating, coaching, being coached, and whatever else fun or interesting is happening as time permits. I have just discovered that I do have a built-in microphone on my computer, so I will begin to research how I can record sound .. (on my iMac running OSX). iTunes won't do it, but something must...

new topics

top topics

<< 127  128  129    131  132  133 >>

join