It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 126
<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Never mind, I found it.

It's always where I least expect it.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Egads, man! What have you done to your octopus stand??

Yikes!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

It makes a great solar panel!

Though I don't actually own a sex machine.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Alright folks, I have some breaking news.

Chissler and I are going to engage in the debate forum's first ever Audio-Fight/Debate.

Chissler is going to post the official debate rules which are still evolving.

What we need is debate topics people.

Keep in mind that the topics should be a little more "general" in nature so that they are conducive to a live debate.

I see this as structured.. but much more lenient than our current format.

We would take turns speaking and the moderator of the debate would keep us under our allocated time. We can have a chat window open to let them know when they are running out of time. Simple reminders when we have 1 minute left, 30 seconds, 10 seconds... you get the picture.

We would simply take turns going back and forth on an issue for say approximately 20 minutes.

At that time the moderator could intervene and request a short 60 second closing statement from each and then rap it up.

The topic itself should be open in and of itself.

Something along the lines of...

"Barack Obama is going to make the world a better place"
"Sarah Palin is qualified to be commander in chief"
"The USA needs to pull out of Iraq"

Something that more or less resembles an open-ended question as opposed to a close-ended question. We don't want to restrict ourselves within the debate topic and allow ourselves as much to chew on as possible.

I'm sure after we see a few of these we'll see how to improve them.

But it would be imperative in this format that the participants do not cut one another off. Each participant is allocated a certain amount of time and is entitled to every second of it. If they run over time, the moderator shall intervene and hand it over to the other participant.

I think it could be a lot of fun.

Chissler

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
That's gonna be awesome!

Will it be available live or do we have to wait for the podcast?

And who's handling the books?

*puts thinking cap on to come up with topic ideas*

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

I believe it is going to be available via podcast. I'm not a techie bit I don't think it is very practical to broadcast it live. Chissler is going to come up with the minutia of the process including whether we need a live moderator and other practical issues.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Listeners and judges would hear it via the podcast function, however it should not take very long at all to have it posted for everyone to hear. After a few hours of editing to make the participants sound smarter than they were.. it would be good to go.

(kidding)

A question I would like to propose to our fighters would be that in this style of debate, should be incorporate a short 5-10 minute break? Or just expect our participants to prepare prior and when it begins we carry through straight until the end.

These debates should not be held without an actual staff member live to moderate the debate. There are several staff members who are active with skype who are also active with the debate forum who I think should be able to help, but without volunteering their services.. I know this is something that I'm more than happy to take on.

I just think it is important that we keep a high level of structure to these debates, as is with the debates we currently have.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
A question I would like to propose to our fighters would be that in this style of debate, should be incorporate a short 5-10 minute break?

Preperation before hand with one optional five minute break for each opponent. The dead space is easily edited out and this allows a Fighter to shore up an unexpected turn of phrase, so to speak.

My opinion...

As well, if we can negotiate the times of debate to where I am available to assist, I of course will offer my hand. However, until further notice, this your show, chissler...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Our show my friend, our show. Members and staff alike.

I'm more than happy to moderate some of these live debates, however we'll also need some alternates as well for when I participate.

I see so much potential with this format that we have yet to tap.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Where is everybody?
Let me see if this will make em show up.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Hey, is that Scotch? Thanks, SDog! Just watching the election wrap, myself.

Did you steal those from DATS, when they stuck your head in the punchbowl?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

No these are from our bar.

DATS has a temporary monkey issue in their offices.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As far as the "Live Debates" go, I will volunteer my services as much as my time allows...

For practical applications, I have the ability to record "Skype" conversations involving several people at one time and "Export" them into an MP3 file...

If this is successful, I can see even expanding this into a "Round Table" type debate with 3 or even 4 Fighters, possibly teams, going at it..

I also have some serious experience in editing...

So if you guys need a Moderator for this, I would love to help

Semper

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Thanks semper, I can't speak for chissler but it would be great if you could moderate our audi-fight/debate.

I think we're aiming for about a week from now. I need to finish my debate with Shock and we need to solidify the debate rules/parameters.

We also need a topic.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   

As I will be doing the post editing and Moderating, I need to remain completely neutral.

You guys need to decide on a topic and the boundaries of the debate.

I would suggest to you that 5 minutes of straight talking is an incredibly long time and may be the limit you are seeking for each "Post"

You want to keep the entire thing long enough to completely cover the issue, and short enough that people don't "Tune you out"

Just keep me updated...

It will need to be in the evenings.. EST... Preferable late evening for me to give you complete unfettered attention...

Semper

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Evenings EST are great for me too.
Especially Thu. between 10pm - 1am, Fri, and Sat between 10pm - 2am.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
*Weary from travel, and festooned with worn "Vote for Obama" paraphenalia, TWISI looks around the empty FCP... Consfused at the lack of celebratory atmosphere, she drops her suitcases, heads for the bar and grabs a bottle of Maker's Mark... drinks from it deeply. Then -*

WTF... is going on here?! I mean honestly, can we not, regardless of our political affiliations, can we not at least celebrate a 21st century Presidential Election being decided without rancor, discord and disputed recounts?

Yeah, that's right. I read the last 13 pages -- congrats Osci, well fought Heike, good luck ADB & FSBA, all down with the podcast debates Chissler et al, so glad you're back Ian, and... GO MEM!!! (SDog and Maria, lovely drunks both) -- but what the %^$*? is going on here?

I doubt I am the only patron who had skin in the game, but apparently, and 24 hours later, I am the only one who is going to:

DO A VICTORY DANCE, DRINK THE REST OF THE WHISKEY AND GIVE YOU ALL SLOPPY KISSES -- and then retire, exhausted, into that corner booth Semper lurks in...

TWISI

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Yeah! The hell with being jaded, world-weary, and cynical!

Hugs, high-fives, and smiles, TWISI!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Hi TWISI, I was also happy Obama won.
There was even a tear in my eye during the acceptance speech.

I wish you weren't on team Shock.
We could have painted the ATS tonight.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   

This extremely happy drunk has been dancing since last night!

Let's just say I've been slightly occupied, considering the Dec. '08 forum is one of my regular beats. But, that is neither here nor there. It's time to boogie!

Excuse me while I pull out a bottle of Bailey's from behind the bar and help myself to some cream goodness.

top topics

<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join