It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do your friends & family think about you? (believer)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hey folks,
I’m a believer and every time I talk about UFO’s and Extraterrestrial life forms with my friends and family they don’t believe me, no matter how convincingly the cases I talk about are.
Everyone thinks I’m stupid or crazy to believe in such things or just childish, how do you live with this, are you even talking about this with friends & family?
It is Frustrating how ignorantly people are and no matter what you say or show them, they just won’t believe you and ignore everything.
I just stopped talking about these things, but it’s frustrating..

Ps:
Sorry for my English I’m from Europe.

MOD-Note: Corrected the grammar in the title.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Most people do not understand and are not ready to know things I know.. so I do not discuss it with them. My daughters share my gifts and are very aware of realities that others are not so they know the things I research and they not only support me but try to learn for themselves so that they can better understand and evolve to a higher level of consciousness.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Well - most people don't understand science or the scientific method.

So - I guess I feel superior to my detractors and therefore find their small mindedness kind of sad and ignorant.

But - and I think there has been some good research in this area - most people must be influenced on an emotional level before they can properly process facts that go against their current belief system.

So if you really are interested in influencing them to become better critical thinkers - then you must find ways to appeal to their emoitons first.

Music, Video, and Media can help appeal on this level - as does good presentation and "emotional" words.

It seems rather unintuitive and superficial - but try to avoid any significant facts or information until it is clear you have peaked the curiosity of your audience and they seem open to further discussion.

Recent scienitfic studies - including brain imaging - have found that the brain often reacts negatively to even the most persuasive evidence - when it goes against an individuals current belief system.

Simply appealing to, and effecting, emotional states first - seems to completely reverse this situation in the scans.

This is a trick politians have understood for years - which is why they usuaully say so much about so little - but these new experiments have really born this out.

Tjose individuals like you and I who are better critical thinkers - have been shown to have an unaturally high tolerance for uncertainty and can more easliy critically evaluate evidence that may lead us to change our views on a variety of topics.

You should feel quite fortunate to have this excellent, though minority, phenotype!

I really feel we are almost the next level of Human evolution - a genetic varience (or mutant if you prefer) that is idealy suited to the transformation of our species to a space faring civilization!

Long live the Fighters!!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I suppose I should add that there are lots of lunatics and/or delusionals who feel they are also of like mind - but they are not.

Time after time they show they are poor critical evaluators - and they understand almost nothing of the scientific method.

They seek attention and belonging - but you can recogize them as they work almost exclusively at an emotional rather then intellectual level.

(and when challenged to debate actual facts they will always retreat)

[edit on 29-5-2008 by TruthMagnet]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
My mom can't believe the people I talk to and the information I've researched. I got her interested in the subject. She has an interest, that's as far as it goes. She's 54. She doesn't do any research, but if disclosure happened tomorrow she'd be one of the "OK" ones...

My father on the other hand is a hard line Christian. He has a hard time wrapping his mind around the concept or possibility that some UFOs are ETs visiting Earth from another planet.

You either live condciously or not. I don't like to talk in black or white terms, but with this it's easy. People are either A or B. Their minds are able to think outside the box and except things that don't fit the norm or people are able to think outside the box and are able to except things that are foreign to their normal world.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Give them time, just the fact that you have planted that info in their brain will make them more open to it in the future.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My wife thinks I'm nuts. But then again she's the worlds biggest skeptic. She would still not believe even if a ufo landed in our yard and an alien came out and slapped her in the face.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They blame my nuttiness on my listening to C2C and being on ATS.

If the MSM doesnt talk about it, it cant exist.

I am a brainwashed nut, an amuzing and lovable one, according to them.

As they say: "We still love you"

Or they say "WE beleive that YOU beleive in these things"

No DUH!

I try never to talk about such things for fear of further insulting comments.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I could care less about what other people think of me.

If I cared what they thought, I would never say anything or go anywhere.

Just worry about yourself. You are the most important thing in your life!

I have learned to share what I know, and leave it at that. If people choose to listen, that is fine, and if they don't that is ok, too!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sure im engaged to be married, and luckily i just started to get very very obsessed over ET and UFO phenomena as of january, basically since the stephenville sightings occured.

my mother is a believer but does not delve into it online, shes 54 and wants to just live her life and wait till the UFO disclosure happens.

i myself cant help but mention the ufo influence on earth after heated debates of rising gas prices. green technology, which leads to talks of world leaders and government officials who have no real idea what the people want and need. but every time i take it that direction people dont really know what to think or how to respond, which tells me im lucky to have been influenced on the UFO, i sometimes get really sad knowing that some people havent made the jump yet.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Or they say "WE beleive that YOU beleive in these things"

Wow, this is just the same sh.. my mom said to me last time

Feels good to know that I’m not alone going through all this and fighting this fight!

I hope I experience the day at that the truth will be discovered, want to see the faces of all the people that laughed at me once!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well my wife to be acts like she thinks I am sane, the rest of my family thinks I am nuts but for different reasons I think.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My family knows I'm "out there", but fortunately for me, I have been able to actually SHOW THEM first hand that these things are in our skies. So as "eccentric" as I might be in terms of my interests, they know that the things that I talk about are REAL.

For me, it's not a matter of "belief"...I KNOW these things are there. So I am a "knower" rather than a believer.

Now who or what is piloting these things, I have not ascertained as of yet.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
BTW-Some of my family gets a little "spooked out" about this stuff. They say it's one thing to hear the stories, but a whole other ball game when you see things above your location in the atmosphere...

[edit on 29-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My mother and brother believe in at least a few conspiracies so I'm not "odd" to them. My father doesn't think any conspiracies are true, but doesn't hold that against me. The rest of my family doesn't know or doesn't care and I don't share my opinion with them. Most are very hard core right winger evangelicals who are skeptical of everything other than what is printed in the Bible. So its best to not discuss practically anything with them. My only outlet is basically here on ATS.

Being interested in this subject is a lot like politics and religion, unfortunately. You can't share your opinion with others if they're not receptive. I keep it to myself mainly because its not worth getting into any arguments over. The same goes for the other conspiracy theories that I think are true.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Frith]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by afkhandyon

I used to try an talk to my family members about the alien phenomenon, and they mostly thought that I was "childish".

My brothers though, agree with me, it was mostly my mom, stepdad, and sisters who didn't understand.

I have been ridiculed by many "friends" for it as well.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I don't talk to my friends and family about stuff like that because they don't understand those kind of things. especially my parents are very, very close-minded and if I started to talk them about ufos and aliens they would just think I'm crazy...but it's great that we have the internet where everyone is anonymous and no one has to worry about being labeled a crazy person.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have actually gotten a close friend of mine very interested in the subject of Ufos/Aliens. Most of my friends find my theories interesting, but many of them either aren't believers or (perhaps more accurately) just don't know what to believe. I have one friend who is very skeptical of the subject matter and I have encouraged him to join ATS.

My mother was raised in Peru so she has a strong Catholic background. Over the years being married to my dad has made her question many of the Church's values and beliefs. She believes in Ufos/Aliens but hasn't researched it... so in that regard she's nearly agnostic.

My father is a firm believer in Ufos/Aliens. He has more books on the subject matter than myself! Oddly, I never took the subject matter seriously until I was over 18 and had moved out of the house. At that point I realized my father was someone very close to me always willing to dicusss the subject. He believes Ufos/Aliens come from another dimension very close to us. He's no dummy either... he has a PhD.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, at least we have each other.

Birds of a feather eh.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

I am actually leaning more toward the dimensional theory myself with each subsequent experience...I have seen these things almost have a "ghost-like", semi-transparence to them in the day time, and I have watched them "pop" into sight or out of sight with a bright flash---Like they are ripping open some sort of energetic doorway to slip in and out of.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join