It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Americanisation of Australia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:
KTK

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Corporate culture is easy to instill in those who dont have one. The US and Australia and the english part of Canada have cultures which are dertermined by "ad men". I cant claim a culture when im genetically from bits all over the world and living in a land I dont have ancestral rights too. Thats why people hold the flag so dear, its all they have apart from a corporate culture you must imbrace or you are UN AMERICAN or UN AUSTRALIAN.Columbus day is Australia Day, Anzac Day is the 4th July. I had my own ex PM claim that I was UN AUSTRALIAN for not agreeing with his stance on Iraq and not giving two hoots about the Wallabies or cricket. Im even UN AUSTRALIAN for questioning the push for increased population in this country. I dare say I will again be UN AUSTRALIAN when this PM gives into Chinese student demands for travel concessions. Heck I cant even be proud of my race or culture cause you are painted as a racist or white supremisist. They have a captive audience by the balls, even an ad man developed the UN words.

But the US and Australia are just extended companies of the crown, try and deny as much as you will but it is still the case. The question is who owns the crown?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I do like the fact that Australia and America get along so well. I also wish it would not change the Aussie culture. It would really ruin things when meeting and hanging out with each other if so much was the same in both countries.
I have met many Aussies (vacationers and RAAF) and have had a blast because of how much there is to talk about and compare.

I much echo that I do not like to see to much Americanization go on in any other country. America is a unique melting pot of every culture on Earth and that is our way of life. Granted it is "borrowed" culture, but as we assimilate aspects of other cultures, we only grow our own.
The rest of the world is just as unique and should stay that way.

Although, it must be said that there are in fact some similarities in the way the countries were born.

Australia = boats loaded with British rejects and convicts shipped to a mostly uninhabited island; along the way one person looks out and sees Bell's Beach; "You mean I gotta spend the rest o' my life on dat beach? AwwYeh!" and a country is born.

America = boats loaded with Spanish rejects sent on a mission to nowhere in hopes they would never find their way home again; starving and diseased, see land and head for it; natives take pity on them, feed them and let them set up a small camp, only to regret that decision for centuries to come; bunch of renegades with rifles decide they know better than anyone else what is best for everyone else; and a country is born.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

because they are the more VISUAL and the more OBVIOUS impacts of American society on Australian culture. The ownership the way they are marketed and the saturation of those influences within the country.

however my point being that if Australia was too americanised there would be little room for other non american resaurants which isnt the case.

and besides, since i had to give up drinking, smoking and drugs all i have left is food

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Demandred]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Many of you are right. We are infact made up of a lot of other nationalities and are picking up many traditions from many cultures. My gripe (not bashing) is that our Government (more our previous one than current) has seemingly encouraged the adoption of US conventions.

I know a number of recovering Americans living here and they, as individuals, are great people and are working on picking up Australian ways while we are hell bent on adopting US habits.

And as for Australians not being Australian (Mel, Russ etc) our Nicole Kidman was born in Hawaii. (Australian parents, but still....)

In regards to the multicultural aspect, one Australian comedian put being Australian like this

It means leaving work at a Swiss insurance company, driving home in a German car, stopping off at an Irish pub to buy a Belgium beer from a Canadian bartender, picking up an Italian pizza, or perhaps a Turkish kebab, and then sitting at home on your Swedish furniture watching American shows on a Japanese television while french -kissing until you pass out pissed on a Persian rug. That is what it means to be Australian!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Viking thanks.............I am a person, an Amriacan who grew up in America learning the laguage as a second

Thank you for your realization that not all people are adept to the ways of other cultures.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I grew up very infuenced by the Swedenborg community

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]..

edit to add. sorry for the one lins post.......I thought it applied.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE…

OI OI OI .

I am surprised you (or anyone else for that matter) didn’t point out that this was actually stolen from the Welsh….”Oggie Oggie Oggie”
As for the rest…fair suck of the sav mate....What’s a bloke to do?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
As an (unsuppressed LOL) Australia 'sheila' I agree with the general sentiments of the OP.
But there are a few issues I would like to raise to some of the key points raised here.
In regards to television and Australian films:
The Australian government has long had several schemes in place to attempt to aid in preserving our culture, one of which is that any television broadcaster must air at least 55 per cent Australian programming between 6am and midnight.
It might not seem that way to the average viewer, but I think that is because our shows tend to be fairly sub-standard and dull - the average viewer (Adult or teen) will change the channel.
The ABC in particular airs a slew of Australian material, including documentaries on Aboriginal culture, once again it is lack of viewer interest that causes this information to be missed (and eventually cut from broadcasting?)

Australia day is downplayed a lot these days as it isn't politically correct to celebrate the "invasion" of white settlers.
ANZAC day is still a major holiday and every child I know of has remembrance ceremonies at their schools as well as town parades. To suggests that this day is in any way parallel to the fourth of July is disrespectful in my opinion. It is a day of reflection and remembrance, a day to pay tribute, not a celebration with fireworks displays.

Growing up must be different where I am from (rural NSW) - we did play cops and robbers, as well as cowboys and Indians and often went down the creek to make ochre body paints and have a corroboree.
We all knew about Edmund Barton and Ned Kelly, as well as the Eureka Stockade, Lithgow Flash and Banjo Patterson.

Young adults perhaps haven't been taught the same respect and love of their culture, but can we seriously blame them or the government?
These are our traditions and our history - their ignorance is as much a failing of the elders of their community as it is a wish to be more American.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I understand where you are coming from but agree with some of the other post in that I think you underestimate the influence of Australia on the American public and the rest of the world. The US has a large population, largest economy in the world , the movie industry, the banking industry, arguably the most powerful military in the world. The US paints with a wide brush so to speak. According to infoplease the US ranks 3rd in world population alone with an estimated population of 301,139,947 (2007). Australia on the other hand had 20,264,082 (Mid 2006) Which is roughly 1/16 the size of the US population. I can not speak for Aussies but this American thinks Australia has done very well in leaving its mark on the world. Australia has given the world Mel Gibson and AC/DC. Rock and roll plus Mad Max, how much better does it get than that?

US South

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ilandrah

I am glad you do understand where I am coming from, and I very much agree with what you said but in general people are not taught the values and traditions they once were.

I guess multiculturalism has a lot to do with that and since Americanism is rampant worldwide, it is some common ground for us to start with.

In regards to

The Australian government has long had several schemes in place to attempt to aid in preserving our culture, one of which is that any television broadcaster must air at least 55 per cent Australian programming between 6am and midnight.

They tried to get around that with shows like quizzmania in the middles of the night…..not that Nikki Osborne wasn’t worth watching
….Who’s with me guys? *Hand in the air waiting for high fives*

[edit on 29/5/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Down Under
I could not agree more and to top it off I will not be towed along by the American theme, Its about time Aussies had thier identity back it was us that were sold out by our goverments trying to be USA.

Pine gap was a back door in for the US forces and now we have our own Area 51.

To fellow Americans on ATS I am not knocking you or your culture its just your goverment is trying to pull strings here in this country so we become dependent on your system like many other countries and it is not a healthy option.

Well I'll be, I feel it's about time we Americans got our identity back as well. I know you're not knocking us, I feel about the same way you do, only probably a lot worse because I see first hand how things are going down hill in my homeland. Try as I might, I can't seem to convince people around me that is indeed the case, with the exception of a few. Only those who are feeling the economic and social sting that I am. I'm pretty much at the point where I feel that only a revolution can bring an end to the madness that will certainly lead to my countries, and probably a few others, destruction. Be it economic or nuclear. Hard times are ahead of us all.

The only point I disagree with in your post is that my country is pulling Australia's strings. Don't forget, the powers that be in America have interests beyond the current borders and have just as much influence beyond them. The same forces at work in the US, are most certainly at work in Australia.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hey, c'mon now. One of the most listened to bands in america is from Australia, AC/DC. Wish we could get our hands on some Bundeburg. That's some magical stuff right there.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

hello - first time poster however i've lurked around here for some years. This is the first thread of which I feel I can comment with any relevance being aussie.
I dont disagree entirely with this sentiment but having lived both here and the UK as a child there are a couple of generalisations from the OP that I think need examining

1) People playing cowboys and indians instead of bushrangers and aboriginals - I played cowboys and indians in the UK and moving to Australia found nobody played games like this here - is this really a true statement? And in terms of Aust history bushrangers generally didnt chase aboriginals - they looted rich freemen, or looted govt supplies. There is anecdotal evidence (see The Fatal Shore - Robert Hughes) that bushroangers hid with aboriginal groups when they were on the run.

2)

[edit on 29-5-2008 by patentpending]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Dear Austrailians,
You have to know that the bond between the US and Austrailia is unshakeable. In this day and age, after all we have been thru, it is inevitable that our cultures intertwine. Having said that the Brittany Spearing of the world is a bit nausiating.
Militarily your wonderful country lies too close to the Asian threat to merely "hope" that Austrailia gets it right, supports, funds, and executes the necessary to contain China/Islam. Yes, it is about global domination, but that domination is keeping things at a dull roar, sort of making the world safe for the spread of Walmart. We have gotten use to it here, it'll be OK.
In the end it isn't about the money though. It is about safety and assuring that we all grow up in a world that is free from tyranny. America is the best bet. We have shown that with the help of the English speaking peoples all over the world. And that will reign for a 1k years. Starting w/ the Magna Carta. That leaves about 10 generations in my estimation. Less we get on with it one more time. Then those bases in Austrailia will come in real handy.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by patentpending

Fair enough. The bushrangers Aboriginals thing wasn't quite right, but you get what I mean. Now I am curious as to what # 2 was before your edit.

moyeti,

Militarily your wonderful country lies too close to the Asian threat to merely "hope" that Austrailia gets it right

Without getting too political, when we asked for help in Timor we were pretty much told by the States to bugger off and fight our own battles..

America is the best bet. We have shown that with the help of the English speaking peoples all over the world. And that will reign for a 1k years.

Be careful with statements like that or the CiR people will jump in making claims of anti Christ etc...

Echo3Foxtrot
Anyone who likes Acca Dacca and Bundy Rum can't be all bad.
for you MATE. You can come round for a barbie and a boags anytie. Bogans rule!!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As an Aussie living in the States, I think the concern about Australia losing its culture is a bit much. Really, the US, Oz, the UK, Western Europe, et al are just different representations of a similar Western Culture in general. Each culture has advanced in different directions, but they remain similar on several crucial points. We're becoming more like each other (or like the dominant American culture) because we weren't ever really that different. Blame the English, if you want to have someone to point a finger at.

What its worth, Americans are a decent lot. They are interested in the rest of the world, but feel slightly cut off from it, for both geographical and political reasons. I have family in Holland who tell me that nearly every night they have news stories covering the American election, so they HAVE to hear about it, and learn about it. Not so here in the states, so folks arent quite as tuned into the rest of the world.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Terrible terrible news for the aussies if they are getting americanized

They will now have to sing every single known note (and some made up ones) when you perform your national anthem before sporting events

did anyone watch the football last night? The US national anthem is cringeworthy when its sung by warbling buffoons

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite

They will now have to sing every single known note (and some made up ones) when you perform your national anthem before sporting events

did anyone watch the football last night? The US national anthem is cringeworthy when its sung by warbling buffoons

I quite like the American anthem, not so much the Australian one, though it was only adopted in 1984 it is really dated and uninspiring in my opinion. It certainly doesn't inspire national pride - I don't know a single Aussie who loves the song.
Off topic but in the same vein, fellow Aussies might like this clip if they haven't already seen it. Advance Australia Fair

Sorry mates - I can't figure out where to find a video number on youtube.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Yes, the core of our cultures can be traced back to similar ancestry, but there are specific things that we have adopted that we need to get rid of.

Music is a BIG one. Not all music, mainly Gangsta (c)rap - Yo Yo Yo Mother Fo Fo Fo and R&B or Rythm and Blues. I am sorry but Ashanti and Beyoncé should not be in the same catagory as Bo Diddley or Sonny Terry & Browney McGee.

Just my A$0.0192

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANTAustralia makes a Holden America buys a Pontiac.

I for one wish thay had kept the Holden Monaro badge on the car when it was brought over. Then the "old school GTO purists" and the Mousestang guys could never have accused it of not being a "real GTO". I like to tell folks my car is a Holden with the steering wheel on the wrong side
Also...the same car is sold in the Mid-east as a Chevy Chevelle SS if my memory is correct. Regardless of the name.....ya'll build awesome cars over there. My hat's off to ya!

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Hugues de Payens]

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Hugues de Payens]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join