It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Americanisation of Australia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Australians have long been commenting on how we are following in Americas footsteps and ‘becoming’ Americanised. This has been going on for a lot longer than we realise. Lets stop and think about some terminologies and activities.

How many of us had cowboy outfits and played Cowboys and Indians? No one plays bushrangers and Aboriginals

Three strike and your out…Directly from Baseball – The American Game – Why not “Sixth tackle, hand over (your freedom)”(It works well for Australia since we are too lazy so six chances gives you longer before you have to actually do anything :lol

More people know about Billy the Kid than Ned Kelly

We watch predominantly American TV shows lifted ‘As Is’ yet successful Australian Shows are remade in America by Americans for Americans. (Kath & Kim, Hi Five, Thank God you’re here)

Australians have American Indian pictures and tattoos but rarely have Aboriginal artwork.

America goes to war so Australia obligingly goes to war

America makes a Chrysler Australia buys a Chrysler. Australia makes a Holden America buys a Pontiac.

Trick or Treating is becoming popular in Australia now. How long till we start celebrating Thanks Giving?

Many Australian Products are owned by American companies. (How was your Vegemite toast this morning?)

Most people know that George Washington was Americas first President, but mention Edmund Barton and you get blank looks (He was Australia’s first Prime Minister BTW)

That will do for this list right now. I will leave room for add ons. My next question is. Is America forcing itself on Australia with our Governments support or are we just too damn lazy to forge our own identity?

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE….

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm not saying I agree with it. In fact, I am embarrassed, but...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

I could not agree more and to top it off I will not be towed along by the American theme, Its about time Aussies had thier identity back it was us that were sold out by our goverments trying to be USA.

Pine gap was a back door in for the US forces and now we have our own Area 51.

To fellow Americans on ATS I am not knocking you or your culture its just your goverment is trying to pull strings here in this country so we become dependent on your system like many other countries and it is not a healthy option.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
America's not a bad path to follow. We still haven't gotten it quite right, but I'd say it still remains the greatest nation in history.

America has developed some of the most revolutionary and progressive social values in history.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think that's going a little bit far. Sure we have adopted a lot of things that are American, but not a hell of a lot. We're just a multicultural society. We have adopted may English things, cricket, food, humor. We've adopted many Asian qualities, food, business, medicine.

We are probably more American than anything else, but we're not totally Americanised.

I'm not being patriotic, but i think we are slowly but surely weaving our owns beliefs into our society. You have to remember we're one of the youngest countries in the world. It will take us another 50 years or so to really cement our culture.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Aah - a subject dear to my heart ... some less obvious things to consider that accelerate Americanisation of a culture:

- the emergence of Microsoft dominance of operating systems means that non-US countries have had to change various things - such as the value of numbers, the spelling of words, and the pronunciation of words.

For instance, when I was a kid in state schools growing up in Tasmania (I was not born there for those in the know about Tassie) - we were all taught that a billion was ten to the power of 12 (ie the UK version of a billion back then) - whereas kids in the USA were being taught that a billion was ten to the power of 9 (ie the French version of a billion).

These days, it is accepted in Australia that a billion is what the Americans say, and it is now the same in the UK also LOL! Not that anyone reading here probably noticed or cared, but being a magazine publisher - it was/is one of those factoids we had/have to get correct.

Don't even get me started on American spelling and pronunciation and its creeping into the lazy education system down here - all thanks to the dominance of US software companies.

TV shows, movies, - lets face it - anyone wearing jeans, who drinks beer or coke has been assimilated ... call it Americanism, call it western culture ... whatever

peace

Duncan

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Don't fret my Aussie friend, we have your boomerangs, them duster jackets, and we all know about the Great barrier reef that tourist on diving boat expeditions get left in the water.

We all love Kangaroos because we don't have to deal with them like you do, but at least we know about them. Even some Americans treat their Women like second class citizens - just like down under.

So, yeah we emulate you a bit too. I think most of all the world is Americanized through Hollywood and the tube programs and sells. Last time I checked two of the favorite actors of Americans were Mel Gibson and Russel Crow.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Yep, its pretty bad.
Howard loves bush, so does K Rudd by the looks of it...follow the money

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
America's not a bad path to follow. We still haven't gotten it quite right, but I'd say it still remains the greatest nation in history.

America has developed some of the most revolutionary and progressive social values in history.

I agree and that has been the case, but looking from outside it seems there 2 entities in America. 1 the people. 2 your goverment which has over the recent years lost respect by people from many countries.

I no your very patriotic people but I do not trust Bush or his senior.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Herbal Oli

Nah, Kevin loves the Asians. We will be doing much more business with them in the future.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Down Under

Understood.

There are basically three different classes of people in America right now:

1) People that follow Bush (which is really an embarrassingly large number)
2) People that don't care
3) People that are horrified at what is taking place

Now that's trying to stay away from the whole Republican v Democrat garbage.

I can't say I hate Bush and his idiotic policies without being called unpatriotic or some sort of derogatory comment about me being liberal.

We're definitely at a low point in our history right now. I just hope we can find our way out of it. I think the world has a responsibility to help America out of this pit. Not financially, but through critique of our media and political system.

All allied nations need to stick together and keep each other in check. America is need of one (reality check) right now.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Now that I think about it, Prime Miniature Coward does seem to get his Bush's mixed with the bushes a bit too much.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

Understood.

There are basically three different classes of people in America right now:

1) People that follow Bush (which is really an embarrassingly large number)
2) People that don't care
3) People that are horrified at what is taking place

Now that's trying to stay away from the whole Republican v Democrat garbage.

I can't say I hate Bush and his idiotic policies without being called unpatriotic or some sort of derogatory comment about me being liberal.

We're definitely at a low point in our history right now. I just hope we can find our way out of it. I think the world has a responsibility to help America out of this pit. Not financially, but through critique of our media and political system.

All allied nations need to stick together and keep each other in check. America is need of one (reality check) right now.

Agree and I believe as I mentioned that most Americans are patriotic about thier country not thier goverment.

Is this the case?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dingleberry77
reply to post by Herbal Oli

Nah, Kevin loves the Asians. We will be doing much more business with them in the future.

Yep!! and less jobs for us.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Indeed. The true spirit of America seems to have fallen asleep in the backseat. Meanwhile the driver is drunk and high on crack, and is about to drive us over the cliff. And the only one who seems to see anything amiss is the concerned citizen following behind without a phone or a CB.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Hmmmmmmm....maybe.

I think the greater share of Americans are apathetic. I think if, and when, they eventually decide there is something they should do, it will be too late to do anything! Right now more people are following American Idol and Hell's Kitchen than the falling American dollar.

I'm one of those who are adamant about my country, but I am embarrassed by the ineptness of our so called leader of the free world.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I suppose so.

It depends. Again, we are very split up lately. Bush can't be blamed for this, but he's made it worse.

So I'd say there are groups when it comes to that also. For instance:

-Patriotic about country
-Patriotic about government (more likely party, not the system - the true hypocrites of today)
-Patriotic about both
-And of course, doesn't care

I'd say party allegiance makes up most of the country right now. Like I said, we are in a bad way. We need the world to help us get back on the right path.

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

reply to post by jackinthebox

Agreed.

*Edit to add:

I also want to point out that Americans are typically very ethnocentric. They have no idea about foreign politics and diplomacy. Another major problem with this country is the idea that we can remain great without the help of a little place called the rest of the world's suppory.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
The Americanisation of Australia began post WWII with the influx of whitegoods and other innovative ideas. Do some research on it and you will see that this is pretty much the start of the USA spreading their influence globally.

Americanisation is not confined to Australia...it is global. Everyone wants to be American, talk like an American and embrace American culture.
I can not think why.

I do not hate Americans. I just prefer my own culture. Sadly it is being eroded.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herbal Oli
Yep, its pretty bad.
Howard loves bush, so does K Rudd by the looks of it...follow the money

I dunno about Rudd loving Bush ...

Sure he has kissed the feet of the UKUSA alliance, but that doesn't necessarily mean fealty to the USA by doing so.

Once a country floats its currency, it has been assimilated ...

Duncan

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by garyo1954

I've made sure to account for the apathetic in both of my posts. It's an unfortunate side effect of a successful democracy. Unfortunately, it eventually leads to the problems we are facing now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join