It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Americanisation of Australia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Well, I have to say after reading this thread, which I enjoyed, I have to agree with what Jackinthebox had to say.

I have had the opportunity to live all over America, from way up north by Canada, middle America, the west coast, and now I am located in the deep south.

While it might seem to you in Austrailia that Americans are all alike, I can tell you that there are vast differences in the population just within our own country!

I've seen it for myself, so if you are worried about the Americanisation of Australia, I'm not convinced it has even happened within our own country.

This is just a small planet, and I do believe we influence each other quite a bit, but everyone knows who they are!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Three strike and your out…Directly from Baseball

English games.

We watch predominantly American TV shows

How does this equate to America forcing itself on you? You watch it, your networks buy it.

Trick or Treating is becoming popular in Australia now.

It came from an English pagan festival.

Many Australian Products are owned by American companies.

That makes them American products. And you bought them. I'm sure there are alternatives.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Does not seem like the best country to follow to be honest.
Here are some statistics to glance trough if you have some spare time:
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...
www.nationmaster.com...

If you browse the page you will of course find many good things about the U.S.A to. I just wanted to show that some things are not that great to give some perspective on the "Worlds best country/be like us" comments.
Around the world today there are leaders that worship profit more then the value of dignity, honesty and even human life. These things are now measured "in gold". Nothing wrong with profit but when you value it more then the life/happiness of your fellow man something is very wrong in todays world.

Bob said it best:"I don't want to see you suffer, only want to see you prosper"

We can and should do better!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yea, lets not forget that Americans and Australians have a common ancestor in Europe so it only makes sence that alot of our culture share some common ground.

Hey wasnt Australia a big prison colony back in the 1600's or something?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I hate it when I hear 'math' instead of 'maths' from an Aussie.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I have to agree with the fact that most Americans don't know their own history. Sure we learn about Washington, the Civil War, etc. I'm from Hawai`i, born and raised. I attended college on the "mainland" or continental United States. I would get into arguments with peers about Hawai`i, because I would talk about how harshly America treated us before we became a state and afterward. The argument would continue, until some students said something along the lines of "Then you shouldn't have become a state." I've linked the U.S. Governments version of what happened.

www.state.gov...

Basically we were illegaly annexed by sugar plantation owners, because they didn't want to pay tariffs on the sugar they grew here and exported. They overthrew the monarchy, with U.S. aid by pointing the USS Boston at `Iolani Palace, rather than risk killing followers, the monarchy opted for a peaceful resolution. Grover Clevland even recognized this as a wrongful take over, but didn't do anything to ammend the actions. Your average American has no idea this happened, and by 1959 we were a state. The government also outlawed speaking Hawaiian and dancing Hula in the 1900's while Dole, a plantation owner, later became Governor.

I think Aussies and Hawai`ians have a lot in common. Or maybe it's just because I like "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport".

P.S.: Nationalism/Religion/Ethnicity are pointless. I am Hawai`ian, Japanese, Okinawan, Irish, Puerto Rican, and Spanish. I was raised Roman Catholic, went to a Protestant school, and identify more with Eastern Philosophy. I say lets just combine everything into what we call in Hawai`i a "mixed plate", take the good get rid of the rest. The labels just divide us. Peace out.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just skimming through the thread, didn't notice any fellow Americans relay the fact that a common joke here is for the last American to leave Miami to please bring the flag.
It's not that bad but here in the States we have a tremendous influence from south of the border.
With digital t.v.,I'm too cheap for cable, I get 5 spanish speaking channels, one of which is a PBS station, (for those Down under, that means they get a lot of money from the govt.)
We also have Taco Bell, aisles in the super market that cater to Latin food, Spanish is the primary language in some classrooms, ad nauseum.
And you know what? Nobody really cares.They'll bitch for a minute and then go to Naugles for a big beef burrito, and wash it down with some Coronas.
And that is only the Spanish influences.
We also have people from the Carribean, Pacific Rim, Europe and everywhere else.
It is what makes this country
great.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Nothing is wrong with america.
You having such nationalism is ridiculous.

We are not knocking Americans or your country we just do not like the way the US goverment is trying to control other countries.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Down Under

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Nothing is wrong with america.
You having such nationalism is ridiculous.

We are not knocking Americans or your country we just do not like the way the US goverment is trying to control other countries.

But ... it is NOT the US govt at fault really - it is the corporations that tell the govt what to do (most politicians are corporate members/owners also).

Then, whether you are aussie, kiwi, yankee or POME - how many of us have purchased shares in those very corporations that are raping the world in order to give us a better dividend?

Duncan

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Wow, this thread kicked on over night.

I agree with a couple of posts, this isn't an American bashing thing, that would be too easy. This is a globalism, capitalism thing.

In my opinion we aren't becoming Americanised, we are just becoming more globalised and becoming more intrenched into the capitalist system.

Unfortunately it's the companies that control the American culture, thus we Australians get the same culture from the global system.

Same as the UK, Japan, Europe and the like. We are becoming one world, and it's disgusting.

Australia still has it's pods of culture. Just move away from any big city and you'll see that Australian culture is fit and well.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

When I lived in Phoenix, I went to Nogales in search of furiiture. Solid wood furniture, which is hard to find in the states, unless you are a bazzionaire.

There is a planned obsolecsesne in Amreica. Everything breaks down, or is made of crap, plastered together crap. Needs to be replaced every few years or so.

I didn't find that in Mexico.

I have purchased things in Mexico that will last foreveranywhrere..Nogales to be exact.

Why can't people in the US produce such lovely goods, without a planned obsolesence with them?

Exploitation comes to mind.

All you people that have gripe about illegal artisans and care givers from Mexico, would never exist without them.

edit for finger farts..........LOL I am bad today. Sorry arthritis is bad!

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
i wouldnt say were becoming too americanised, Australia is a country that tries to take on the better aspects of each culture that resides in our country we dont have much of a developed culture of our own and lets face it theres only so many vegimite sangas, meat pies and bbq's you can have before it becomes abit monotonous. and lets face it the US of A has produced alot of good commercial products and have done alot of good in the world to pan the whole country now for the sins of their leaders is abit harsh.

id rather watch cricket than baseball, and give me good ole rugby league over NFL. i find basket ball boring and think ice hockey is a game of maniacs with sticks all trying to kill one another while pretending they are not.

i dont mind the occasional big mac, KFC makes me feel abit ill after eating it and i prefer good ol Aussie beer over American beer, to quote monty python "American beer is like making love in a canoe !!!"

how ever i also enjoy food from many different countries Asian, European, South American and Middle Eastern.

one thing i will say though American military has the coolest toys !!!

if i saw a pack of Apachies comming over the ridge at me id find the deepest darkest hole i could find and bury myself lol.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

id rather watch cricket than baseball, and give me good ole rugby league over NFL. i find basket ball boring and think ice hockey is a game of maniacs with sticks all trying to kill one another while pretending they are not.

i[quote] dont mind the occasional big mac, KFC makes me feel abit ill after eating it and i prefer good ol Aussie beer over American beer, to quote monty python "American beer is like making love in a canoe[quote]

I'm an American and I don't even eat at those places. I'm convinced they are bad for eveyone, no matter what country they live in.

How did what you like to eat add to the discussion of this threas?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

Maybe you misunderstood.
Naugles is a restaurant chain I would frequent when I lived in SoCal.

I wasn't bashing the Mexican city of Nogales

[edit on 5/28/2008 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodcircle

But Mel was born in the US and Russel is a Kiwi.

Crowe was born in Wellington, NZ

Gibson was born in Peekskill, New York.

Goes to show you maybe the OP was correct. We have the bad habit of mistaking New Zealand folks as Australian & visa versa. I apologize. Maybe Road Warrior confused me as well. Now someones going to tell me Road Warrior & Mad Max weren't made in Australia, but NZ or something.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Creedo

Yeah mate,We are Convicts-and proud of it

Australia-The best of British...

We have a mindset that is in a lot of ways rebellious to authority,
And we have this little thing called "Tall Poppy Syndrome",where we
love to see the go getters rise to the top of the pile and then we love to tear them down again.

As for Americanisation,well,I see a lot of the street culture here,Bling Bling and "Yo Dude",but its not too bad.

Myself,I love America and Americans,I have some lovely friends there and
spent three weeks there last year,Most awesome time...Dude...

What i do not like is the current administration(Nor mine) and what hurts most is not the fact that some of the things a wrong of their own accord but that at some point that it will hurt you and us and others and i don't want that,
As far as i am concerned i don't want to see anyone hurt and now that i have been there and experienced it you are all in my heart and i want the best for all of us.

God bless

BV

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

wow..dope video.

your musical preference fits within your image there jack..

I would have been a little suprised if you posted some video with jay z flashin euros or somethin...

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Just to throw my 2 cents in....

I have lived in America all my life but have never considered myself an "American", at least not for what it has now come to mean.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not Anti-American, or any other type of person commonly associated with hating all Americans, all things American, or America as a whole. The thing is, is what our governing bodies do in this country absolutely do not represent the opinions or views of every individual in America.

Just as it is unfair to group any race, creed, sex, or nationality into one classification. And everyone hear knows exactly what I mean.

Back to the subject of the thread...

Three people that I value very highly in my life were born and live in Australia.
I have never met these people face to face. Doesn't matter. They have helped me evolve my understanding of many things... and awakened me to this growing problem years ago. Years ago they urged me to get out of the US.

But now I fear it's only a matter of time before there is little left of Australia and it's culture, due to being forced, pressured, or obligated to Americanize or follow in our foot steps.

I know exactly what the OP is saying and the American government, and TPTB are doing this slowly to the entire world and its just plain wrong. Like the American food companies showing up in Iraq.

Rammstein hit the nail on the head with that song. Look up the translation to fully understand.

I have always wanted to move to Australia because as whole, it seems Aussie's have their act together more than America (in its current state) could ever hope to. There philosophy on life has helped me also.

It is a shame that people in your country are letting this happen(to some extent). Just sad.

Even though I shouldn't feel responsible to apologize for" the all powerful idiots" in this country. I am sorry you are seeing this happen.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Nerva-
"Even though I shouldn't feel responsible to apologize for" the all powerful idiots" in this country. I am sorry you are seeing this happen".

I think that we are all sorry regardless of the country of origin,I am thankful that there are people like most on here who are aware of the things that go on,
We have our own crew who are oblivious to the deceit,as long as they get their next Idol/Biggest Loser/McFantasy fix they care not if they step over the cliff of their demise.

Pretty sad

But you would like it here,we would rather have a BBQ than a brawl and
we are pretty easy going.

Watch out for the Drop Bears though....

BV

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
GDay from Western Australia, Very interesting topic so I thought I'd put my two cents worth in the mix. Here in WA the houses are predominately double brick with an air cavity. I think we went this way because our state is mostly desert with very hot weather and recently (Last 15 years) very high UV radiation. Just ask any primary schooler in OZ about UV and protection and they'll give you a very detailed and informed reply. As for American media? well even you guys in the States laugh at it. Now there's a common feeling between you and us. Another thing comes to mind, I believe that the USA & OZ will always be friends beceause we both have the same basic beliefs in a fair go for every one. The conversations with Americans that I've had always highlights the similarities between us rather than the differences. As for our languageeroding and becoming Americanised, just have a drink and a chat with an Aussie any where in the world and by the third drink the Aussie's will start to speak faster and will have reverted to our Australian Slang which if your not used to it will be hard to follow eg better hit the frog and toad or give the misses a call on the Dog & Bone. Other Aussie's. can translate that if you don't get it. Look before I go just a thought, embrace our similarities but retain our heritage's as friendship knows no cultural or geographical boundaries and the only ones who want us to bicker and fght are the very ones we discuss here on ATS.
OO-ROO from OZ

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join